Global Order of Democractic Sovereigns Working to Improve Life and LIberty

Maelstrom Vortex

ooc: Okay, it started out an MDoAP, but I decided the A was definitely not in the spirit of the treaty.

ic:
The following diplomatic proposal was circulated among the world's democracies, republics, and constitutional monarchies.

[quote name="God's Will"]
[size="5"][b][center]Global Order of Democratic Sovereigns Working to Improve Life and Liberty[/center][/b][/size]

[b]Article 1: Pre-requites for member states.[/b]
Section A: The candidate for membership must be composed of a Government which is constituted by 80% elected officials.
Section B: The Government must demonstrate religious tolerance of all faiths (including cults). Rational policies protecting against murder which may cause members of some faith to be arrested are not considered a form of oppression, but a governmental obligation to defend its people from each other.
Section C: The Government must have polices against the imperialistic seizure of land.
Section D: The First 3 members of the Block must be accepted by the United States as meeting these terms, after three members have joined new candidates will be subjected to a peer review to determine if it is felt their policies meet the conditions of this article. A majority vote will be held to determine if their government format is acceptable.

[b]Article 2: Abandonment of Pre-emptive war.[/b]
Section A: Members pledge never to fire the first shot in a war in any form, except for when upholding obligations of a treaty of defense such as this one.
Section B: Violation of this article may merit consideration for expulsion by majority vote and may constitute an immediate halt of all protections guaranteed by this treaty and may bring up discussion of the former member at that time as an "Aggressor State" a classification by which may subject the former member to war from members of this treaty.
Section C: Members signing this treaty shall have already abandoned all MANDATORY aggression treaties or be considered not to be eligible for block membership.
Section D: A member who has had an optional aggression treaty activated shall bring the matter before the body to determine the how the body wishes to react to the unfolding war. If the body rules against going to war, the member shall not enter into the war of aggression.

[b]Article 3: Trade and communication.[/b]
Section A: Members pledge to work together to attempt to minimize tariffs and attempt to get as close to a free-trade policy as possible amongst themselves. We will not pretend to enforce any particular standards in trade as the situation will vary by the efficiency of national resources and the demography of each nation.
Section B: Members pledge to make a best effort to let their currencies float openly on the free market and not engage in any forms of currency manipulation. However, since some economies rely on a pegged currency the negotiation of currency pricing between states shall be acceptable as long as it is agreed upon. Nations which make it their official policy to have a weighted market basket currency prior to signing this treaty and are accepted into this treaty are accepted in the understanding those practices shall continue in order to keep their internal economy stable.
Section C: Members pledge to open borders for laborers/workers seeking employment in each of their nations making immigration as relaxed as security allows.
Section D: In the event of a major threat to trade such as the outbreak of diseases among livestock members will co-operate to resolve the situation with their collective resources.

[b]Article 4: Mutual Defense.[/b]
Section A: In the event an offensive military action is taken a member state, all nations pledge to commit as much as their military arms as they can muster into the region to defend our ally. All members are automatically at war with the aggressor state.
Section B: Member states will lend as much economic support as possible to the defense and liberation of any ally that comes under conquest and we vow that we shall not stop until that ally is liberated. We do not surrender. All for one, one for all.
Section C: Member states will integrate their national sensory and defense grids to provide adequate real time warning to all of our collective forces.
Section D: Member states will keep their military in as high of a state of repair, readiness, and strength as economically feasible so as that we can support each other effectively.
Section E: Any member state failing to uphold their part on the Defense Pact will be expelled. If their failure to uphold their obligations jeopardizes the sovereignty of a member state, they may come up for review as a potential "Aggressor State".

[b]Article 5: Mutual Support.[/b]
Section A: This is an article of good will. If any member happens to be economic struggling the members of this treaty will do their best to help their peer out of their depression/recession via increase trade and interventions in macro-economic factors domestically and in the member state that may help the suffering recover.
Section B: Disaster Recovery: In the event a member state is affected by a national tragedy imposed by forces not under the control of man, all states shall do their best to help the affected member recover from the tragedy.

[b]Article 6: Modification[/b]
Section A: This treaty may be modified only with a 66% majority of members or greater approving of the changes.

[b]Article 7: Anti-Filibuster[/b]
Section A: If a member fails to vote on an issue within 48 hours of the issue coming to the floor, they are considered to be voting in line with the majority opinion.

[b]Article 8: Peaceful Departure[/b]
Section A: If not involved in a state of a war, a member may leave this treaty voluntarily at any time with simple notice, no waiting period required.
Section B: Members must realize if they leave during a war in which the alliance is participating in then there is a risk they will be at war for abandoning the treaty. However if only one or two members are at war due to some strange or rare political situation, potentially a combination of oAP treaties and alliance rulings, but the alliance as a whole has not declared.. then the peaceful departure rules still apply. What matters is whether or not the alliance is at war, not the status of individual.

[b]Signatures[/b]
William Caudill
President of the United States
By Authority of Congress

[s][url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87330&view=findpost&p=2332424"][img] http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100319023142/cybernations/images/thumb/3/35/LPikachurinSignature.svg/128px-LPikachurinSignature.svg.png[/img]
Disparu[/url][/s] Withdrawal due to concerns over the effectiveness of military blocs.

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87497&view=findpost&p=2337048"][img]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4297/signatureu.png[/img]
Tiministan[/url]

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87497&view=findpost&p=2337132"][img]http://coyotekiva.org/images/huehuecoyotl-stone-lo.JPG[/img]
Zzzptm Nezahualcoyotl,
Hymanimistan[/url]

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87497&view=findpost&p=2337419"][img]http://ottawa1234.webs.com/327a75704df754d54e48cf676434001d.png[/img]
Bohovia[/url]

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87497&view=findpost&p=2337969"]Ernesto Che Guevara,
Representative for the Revolutionary Government and people of the Dominican Republic[/url]

Leo Zeelan
United Isoceles

President of the Alaskan Union, Ryan Milley
Vice-President Micheal Scott
Secretary of Sovereignty Jonathon Neilson

[/quote]

ooc: All apparent grammar revisions and modifications complete as of: 8:19 pm EST.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, another attempt at a treaty by the USA. They are well-meaning, that much is clear, but just like their attempt to re-establish NATO, I doubt it will get very far off the ground."

"I wouldn't be so quick to assume defeat. The US has come very far from their time as a single state...they even managed to throw off the shackles of imperialism by the Dragon cul--I mean, the Faith of Dreams. That change always gets me."

"If they get even one other member, that will be a step up from NATO, I admit, but still I--"

"You always look at the dim side of things. You never even consider that things like this have a chance of proving successful."

A third one cut in.

"Still, it should be interesting in the coming days to see what kind of attention this will bring to the US. And what kind of members, if any, it might attract."

"I, for one, am interested in what kind of stance the Queen and Grand Duke might hold on this, as technically, Australia does fit the qualifications."

~Panel discussion by a group opf political pundits.

There was as yet no official response from the government of the Queendom.

The Tahoan Government is outraged that only weeks after their illegitimate participation in certain imperialistic and warlike activities you would attempt to pass something like this; further, after your declaration against imperialism you set yourself up to create another power structure and label is GODSWILL? We condemn this action and note your hypocritical stance.

"Since three world governments are condemning this proposal simply because of the coincidence that the name is an acronym related to religion, we propose the following amendment: the name shall be changed to "World Order of Republican Leaders for the Defense of Honorable, Organized Nations Observing Rights (WORLD HONOR)."

Edited by KingChris

Considering the time it must have taken to come up with the name that would result in such an acronym, we feel justified in our assessment of the US as being run by a contingent of "holier than thou" hypocritical blowhards.

[quote name='DeSchaine' date='10 June 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1276185590' post='2331699']
Considering the time it must have taken to come up with the name that would result in such an acronym, we feel justified in our assessment of the US as being run by a contingent of "holier than thou" hypocritical blowhards.
[/quote]

"Perhaps, the people of Taeunas who attempt vigourously to present themselves as [i]leaders of logic[/i] should present a better solution rather than blowing more hot air, about blowing hot air."

- Dominican news pundant

[quote]
From Himynamistan Minister of State F.I. Madero
To his counterpart in the USA

We are concerned about the provisions in 3.B. We of Himynamistan have pegged our currency to a basket of world currencies and do not consider it to be fully convertible. We would be interested in discussing this treaty, though, as we are open to the ideas of non-aggression and anti-imperialism and accept that there is strength in numbers, and rehabilitation in going forward with good intentions.

Sincerely,
F.I. Madero
Himynamistan Minister of State
[/quote]

[b]President Moshum[/b]

[i]"While the thought of nations around the world working hand and hand is amiable and ideal. I'm a pragmatic man, and I do not believe such concepts can work in the current state of the world. Hence I will abstain the NPR's involvement in this deal. I wish you the best of luck in pitching it others."[/i]

[quote name=" Private Response to Himynamistan"]
We appreciate that at least one country has taken our proposal seriously. If 3B is a point of contention we can weaken it. While we think it is important the free markets determine currency valuations we understand there may be unique situations where the internal economy may need some regulation. That said we offer to re-word point 3B.

Section B: Members pledge to let their currencies float openly on the free market and not engage in any forms of currency manipulation.

To

Section B: Members pledge to make a best effort to let their currencies float openly on the free market and not engage in any forms of currency manipulation. However, since some economies rely on a pegged currency the negotiation of currency pricing between states shall be acceptable along as it is agreed upon. Nations which make it their official policy to have a weighted market basket currency prior to signing this treaty and are accepted into this treaty are accepted in the understanding those practices shall continue in order to keep their internal economy stable.
[/quote]

[quote name="Public Statement:"]

Those ignoring the merits of a treaty over an acronym and not policy make questionable decisions. We shall not be changing the acronym. There is no need.

We would like to kindly remind the people of the Second Tahoan regime that their brothers and sisters in Colorado are completely free.. even of the protection of the Coalition. Completely free to determine their own destinies. I already predicted many nations would continue to call us imperialistic despite the fact we liberated a people. We held a vote and they didn't want to join the U.S. so we set them free.

You call our stance hypocritical, yet we have yet to do anything against the stance to make us a hypocrite going forward.

For the education of those who have called us a hypocrite:

Hypocrite - 2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

We will not be acting in contradiction to our stated beliefs or feelings. We will be observing this treaty tightly as well as our new anti-imperialism policy.

[/quote]

[quote name="Private message to Dominican Republic"]
We appreciate your support, do you have an interest in being a signatory?

[/quote]

[quote]
[Center]Response to Chinese Decree[/Center]

The position of our Chinese allies is understood. The U.S. feels that Governments can obtain to much power and that is why we seek to limit this power, especially our own. It's a part of our history that we seek to limit the strength of various facets of the Government in order to protect the liberties of the people. We recognize this is a path that not all nations are not willing to take.
[/quote]

ooc: Colbert break! lol.

ic:
[b]Private response to China:[/b]
We understand your concern, but you either stand for something or stand for nothing. We have nothing to be ashamed of in this proposal.

[b]Private Response:[/b]

Standing against preemptive war is foolish. By definition a preemptive war rather than a preventative war is one where an attack is obviously imminent, the difference between a defensive and preemptive war in the USC's opinion, is that the defender in a preemptive war would seize the tactical initiative to prevent an invasion of their homeland. We'd never sign onto a document which condemns such action, especially in light of the global preference these days for coalition based offensives. We feel it is especially important that allies who may find themselves isolated are allowed this right.

Cults are illegal in the Union of Arctica.
It is the right of every sovereign state to conduct war. This limits that right.
The Union will not be party to a religious or religion-themed treaty organization.
Several articles in the treaty threaten war if the articles are violated. This is counterproductive to an organization promoting peace.

The Union urges other nations not to join this organization in its current form.

OOC: edited to add "in its current form"

Edited by Vedran

The document has no aggressive basis anywhere to force any other nation into conformance with its standards.

The short answer: No.

The United States already considers itself a signatory of this document and is already beginning to abide by its obligations. Despite the avoidance of the world. The United States unilaterally made itself a member of the bloc. A broadcast of the signing was shown nation wide and made available to international media.

"We are not afraid to lead. Who has the courage to follow?" Caudill challenged.

[b]CLASSIFIED[/b]

[quote][center][img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091230220737/cybernations/images/thumb/2/29/DisparuGovernmentSeal.png/250px-DisparuGovernmentSeal.png[/img][/center]

[b]TO/À:[/b] William Caudill, President of the United States of America
[b]FROM/DE:[/b] Wallace Muddkip, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs

Greetings Honourable President,

As we feel that the Federation of Disparu already conforms to [i]most[/i] of GODSWILL's articles and sections, the Executive Council of Disparu wishes to express it's interest in signing the proposal. As per Article 1, Section D...

[quote]Section D:[b] The First 3 members of the Block must be accepted by the United States as meeting these terms[/b], after three members have joined new candidates will be subjected to a peer review to determine if it is felt their policies meet the conditions of this article. A majority vote will be held to determine if their government format is acceptable.[/quote]

...we would like to invite American observers to inspect our governmental, economic and social structures to see if Disparu meets these terms. We would also like to direct your attention to Article I, Section C and Article 3, Section B:

[quote]Section C: The Government must have polices against the imperialistic seizure of land.[/quote]

Though we do not have an official policy against imperialism, and our actions in the past seem to have hinted that we are imperialistic (the former Government sanctioned the annexation of Anticosti Island and several Arctic islands near mainland Disparu, with the latter being sanctioned by the former government of Viniland), we would like to let you know that the current Government of Disparu has a [i]de facto[/i] stance against imperialism. For example, we have allowed the former province of Labrador, and the former protectorate of Ontario-Michigan to form their own sovereign nations or to join other nations. If we were imperialist, we would have never allowed these secessions to occur.

[quote]Section B: Members pledge to let their currencies float openly on the free market and [b]not engage in any forms of currency manipulation[/b].[/quote]

We are concerned about this bolded section of Article 3, Section B. By signing GODSWILL, will this mean that we will lose some of our control over the Disparuean dollar? Does this mean that we will no longer be able to control the printing and circulation of our own banknotes? If this is the case, then Disparu will not sign GODSWILL.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President. We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Wallace Muddkip
[i]Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
On behalf of the King, Minister of Foreign Affairs Lilian Meridian,
the Executive Council of Disparu and the Government of Disparu[/i]
[/quote]

[quote name='Pikachurin' date='10 June 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1276214821' post='2332377']
[b]CLASSIFIED[/b]

Though we do not have an official policy against imperialism, and our actions in the past seem to have hinted that we are imperialistic (the former Government sanctioned the annexation of Anticosti Island and several Arctic islands near mainland Disparu, with the latter being sanctioned by the former government of Viniland), we would like to let you know that the current Government of Disparu has a [i]de facto[/i] stance against imperialism. For example, we have allowed the former province of Labrador, and the former protectorate of Ontario-Michigan to form their own sovereign nations or to join other nations. If we were imperialist, we would have never allowed these secessions to occur.

We are concerned about this bolded section of Article 3, Section B. By signing GODSWILL, will this mean that we will lose some of our control over the Disparuean dollar? Does this mean that we will no longer be able to control the printing and circulation of our own banknotes? If this is the case, then Disparu will not sign GODSWILL.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President. We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Wallace Muddkip
[/quote]

[quote name="Private Diplomatic Response"]
The United States has already reviewed the Disparu Government due to it being our close neighbors and affirm that we understand it to be a functioning democracy with the intent to liberate where possible all people's seeking freedom. Your qualification for this treaty is not in question.

Article 3, Section B pertains more to international currency exchange, not internal currency alterations. We have also loosened the terms of Article 3, Section B at the request of the Dominican nation which has also expressed an interest in this treaty. Instead currency alterations have become as they have historically been, negotiable. The intent of this clause is to simply leave the currency markets as free as possible without leading to economic instability in the member nations. That said, President Caudill formally invites you to D.C. We'll have the treaty signing at 10 AM EST D.C. time, just prior to the World Peace Forum in the House of Representatives. We think this is ideal timing to have the signing process to show that we are making progress towards a more peaceful, democratic world.

Thank you for your confidence and our best wishes,
William Caudill
President of the Untied States
[/quote]

ooc: I'd forgotten to update the wording of 3b. Oops, patched.

[b]CLASSIFIED[/b]

[quote][center][img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091230220737/cybernations/images/thumb/2/29/DisparuGovernmentSeal.png/250px-DisparuGovernmentSeal.png[/img][/center]

[b]TO/À:[/b] William Caudill, President of the United States of America
[b]FROM/DE:[/b] Wallace Muddkip, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs

That is good to know. In that case, we will sign the treaty on the aforementioned time. We will inform the King, the Queen and the Legislative Triumvir, who are currently in Washington, DC for the Global Peace Summit, to sign it on behalf of the Government and the people of Disparu. I or the Minister herself may also be able to sign the treaty if time allows it.

Regards,

Wallace Muddkip
[/quote]

The Harramlarian Consulate has pledged to view and ratify this treaty, hence known as GodSpeed.

The state of Harramlar is full of devout Christians and would be honored to join the United States.
The Harramlarian Consulate must express concern about the banning of preemptive war.

On many occasions, the state of Harramlar had to engage in preemptive war to defend its Allies, and if this treaty would hinder our progress or forbid us from protecting our Allies, we would have to reconsider.

Once these issues are clarified, newly elected President Charles Fernandes will sign this treaty into Harramlarian Law.