Summer without War?

Hymenbreach

[quote name='NoFish' date='07 June 2010 - 07:09 AM' timestamp='1275890952' post='2327542']
The way the game works, the destructive capability of nations scales far faster than the ability of those nations to repair themselves, so we're going to have longer and longer between major wars. Add on to that the limitations of aid slots compared to the amount of money needed to send meaningful reparations and we're going to see long periods of alliances out of action and unable to make war even when they want to.
[/quote]

That's a good point. The bigger nations are, the longer it takes to rebuild. Are we going to see more proxy wars in the future between 'developing' (or mercenary) alliances?

Edited by Hymenbreach

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last war is still being fought. There will be no war because big hitters have to pay reps for the rest of the year and as such there are no 2 sides. Unless Supercomplaints decide to beat down some small fractured corner of the world [b]there will be nothing until next summer[/b]. Thanks for dishing out harsh reps again supercomplaints and letting Gramlins keep the last war going longer than it should have. You sure know how to spoil any potential fun.

[quote name='Alterego' date='07 June 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1275902796' post='2327637']
The last war is still being fought. There will be no war because big hitters have to pay reps for the rest of the year and as such there are no 2 sides. Unless Supercomplaints decide to beat down some small fractured corner of the world [b]there will be nothing until next summer[/b]. Thanks for dishing out harsh reps again supercomplaints and letting Gramlins keep the last war going longer than it should have. You sure know how to spoil any potential fun.[/quote]
I see, we're ruining the game by [b]not[/b] creating wars now. Aren't we crafty.

I'm going to admit that I agree with the OP here. Wars may happen, but a large war with multiple superpowers won't be happening this summer.

But if my prediction is proven wrong, I won't be terribly disappointed.

[quote name='Alterego' date='07 June 2010 - 05:26 AM' timestamp='1275902796' post='2327637']
The last war is still being fought. There will be no war because big hitters have to pay reps for the rest of the year and as such there are no 2 sides. Unless Supercomplaints decide to beat down some small fractured corner of the world [b]there will be nothing until next summer[/b]. Thanks for dishing out harsh reps again supercomplaints and letting Gramlins keep the last war going longer than it should have. You sure know how to spoil any potential fun.
[/quote]

Any currently plausible war scenario would result in your side getting slaughtered once again. What are you complaining about?

[quote name='Axolotlia' date='07 June 2010 - 03:53 AM' timestamp='1275871962' post='2327039']
My bet is Facepnch is going to get in over their heads, drag GOONS in and with that drag the rest of the treaty web... :P
[/quote]

I find this to be the most plausible version. But it's still a long shot. So, i'm willing to bet that there wouldn't be any war over the summer.

[quote name='AlmightyGrub' date='06 June 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1275880688' post='2327249']
Hopefully we wont be waiting a year for you to work up the courage to do something again.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I don't know if you've noticed Grubbie, but everyone who would have done something got clobber in the last war as a direct consequence to your indecisiveness and continued flipping of sides. TOP took a big risk and they paid for it. Now, are you really calling them and everyone else cowards for not making a pointless suicide run again for your and your buddies gratification? Tell me, what would the war look like? Similar sides as the last time, but much more lopsided, and I can only imagine our gracious overlords in MK wouldn't be as last time. I can only imagine that more reparations would be taxed, and more alliances put out of the game for yet another year. If you don't like this you only have yourself to thank for it.

Face it, CnG and SF are the only groups still in tact, and they only ones capable of doing a thing. They do like their little security blanket, however, and as long as they want to pretend that they NPO, TOP, and others are still a threat it will continue to last. Of course people will wise up eventually and they will no longer be able to play at that, but it may be long enough for them to yet again beat down that collection of alliances before having to devise a new threat to justify their group's existence.[/color]

[quote name='Banksy' date='07 June 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1275907790' post='2327661']
I see, we're ruining the game by [b]not[/b] creating wars now. Aren't we crafty.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Actually he said the problem was you imposing reps that take nearly a year to pay off. You can argue inflation all you want but there is one thing that still hasn't changed, and that is the maximum aid to able to be sent in each slot. Back in GWIII when reps were imposed, those were considered large for the time but only took one or two months to pay off. As soon as they were completed those alliances were back in the game.And a few months is reasonable, but when it gets close to a year then we have a problem, and it is leading to stagnation in this game. So unless the size of aid slots are increased so that such large reps can be paid faster you should not be imposing said reps. No alliance deserves to be removed from the game for that long.[/color]

Edited by Rebel Virginia

[quote name='Hymenbreach' date='07 June 2010 - 03:11 AM' timestamp='1275894688' post='2327582']
That's a good point. The bigger nations are, the longer it takes to rebuild. Are we going to see more proxy wars in the future between 'developing' (or mercenary) alliances?
[/quote]
No.

The treatyweb has ensured that proxy wars are basically impossible, as the basic treaty is now the MDP.

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' date='06 June 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1275881421' post='2327273']
You see, this is why these wars are always so bad. So many mistakes are made.

Mistake One

Mistake Two

(I'm kidding.)
[/quote]

LOL, I laughed.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 June 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1275911396' post='2327697']
Any currently plausible war scenario would result in your side getting slaughtered once again. What are you complaining about?
[/quote]
The only thing worse than being slaughtered is doing nothing for a year. Its the same reason why I wont pay the kind of reps some alliances hand out or indeed any reps, its boring. I can have much more fun blowing stuff up then taunting people from my penniless, infra free, techless lands.

[quote name='Alterego' date='07 June 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1275937288' post='2327969']
The only thing worse than being slaughtered is doing nothing for a year. Its the same reason why I wont pay the kind of reps some alliances hand out or indeed any reps, its boring. I can have much more fun blowing stuff up then taunting people from my penniless, infra free, techless lands.
[/quote]

No wonder your side keeps losing if you do nothing during peace time. :P

I'll agree that reparations are boring. It is my hope that sooner or later we'll have wars with no reparations afterward, but the problem is that a well-prepared defendant can give as almost as much damage as they take, leaving the victor with very little if anything gained.

I remember CnG saying the final reps weren't enough and that the CC would be back in the game within a couple months because they're so capable of paying off the reps. Well, here we are. Although I lik how the current I/D-Gre situation has turned out... pretty entertaining. As for global wars, I'd say not until the school year starts at the earliest.

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' date='07 June 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1275886401' post='2327430']
And with that, Valhalla and the New Polar Order officially declared war in what some would later call the most ridiculous war in over three weeks.
[/quote]

Nah, that would be the rogue attack on me, Londo, and Goose.

But enough about me, how about this weather? :smug:

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' date='07 June 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1275965323' post='2328471']
We'll see a rise in rogues with no war this summer.

If anything, we'll see a beat down or two. I actually miss the days NPO and friends brought us one every 2 months.
[/quote]

Hopefully one of said beatdowns is against that pirate Freudenschade. <_<

Also hi Zoomeh, how've you been? :awesome:

[quote name='AlmightyGrub' date='06 June 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1275880688' post='2327249']
Hopefully we wont be waiting a year for you to work up the courage to do something again.
[/quote]
HAHAHA
Oh Grub, don't ever change.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='07 June 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1275964622' post='2328462']
Nah, that would be the rogue attack on me, Londo, and Goose.

But enough about me, how about this weather? :smug:
[/quote]
Not enough Nuclear rain, think you can help?

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 June 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1275911396' post='2327697']
[/quote]

I think it's that..well..*any* currently plausible war scenario would result in his side getting slaughtered once again. As opposed to being the more even fight that some believed this brave new world would have. The problem for the warmongers is that the losing side knows this.

As far as proxy wars, those might be nice..except, as mentioned, these can easily turn into world wars. We don't have the same style of aiding that the real world has, and all it'd take is one trigger-happy alliance leader who wants the brushfire war to be hotter, and suddenly the web's alight.

Aside from brushfires between mid- and low-tiers, or perhaps an occasional curbstomp, I can't fathom any real way for there to be a good solid world war in the near future. Well, there's always Superfriends and Complaints and Grievances coming to blows, but no-one believes that, do they?

[quote name='AlmightyGrub' date='07 June 2010 - 04:18 AM' timestamp='1275880688' post='2327249']
[/quote]
We cant all have the courage to stab our friends [s]people [/s]in the back and run off to the bigger side after the war has started.

Edited by Alterego

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='07 June 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1275888740' post='2327489']
Everyone ITT that had the power to prevent it form happening please raise their hand.

Oh look, just you Grub. <_<
[/quote]
Every alliance in the chain had the power to put an end to the spread. The increasing preponderance of non-chaining clauses would have readily enabled anybody along the line to declare an unwillingness to send its troops to die for distant foreign causes. Prior to the TOP/IRON invasion both sides looked pretty poor, after all. Participating alliances 1) thought they'd win, 2) liked war regardless of outcome, 3) felt the benefits of entering outweighed the benefits of neutrality regardless of outcome, or 4) were too damn spineless to actually do what they determined to be the best course.

Global wars happen because people want global wars to happen. I can't stand Grub, but your criticism is pathetic at best.

Every year someone claims that there has to be or is always a summer war (although it's winter in some parts of the world nipah~) and it doesn't happen. It's a myth.

However, I can create a war if any alliances want to fight on my side~