Relations with the West

Biohazard

[CODE]TO: THE EMPIRE OF FRANCE
SUBJECT: CORDIAL INVITATION TO BERN

/start message

The President, Dominik Grunewald, would like to invite you to a diplomatic meeting to discuss the relations of the two countries. A private jet will be sent, if needed. Until then, the President hopes you accepts the invitation, and eagerly awaits your arrival.

/end message
[/code]

---

Dominik waited in the Capital, having sent word for a private jet to be prepped, should the French leader wanted it. He was a little weary of beginning talks with any nation outside of GDR, but in order to survive in Europe, it'd be necessary to gain allies; especially those on the border.

For the moment, though, he was willing to give France the benefit of the doubt, even though they had completely meddled in the Iberians' affairs, going so far as to annex a nation and, for lack of better term, satellite-ized another. Switzerland needed allies that it could count on, and if nothing else, the French had proved to at least be capable of waging war; surely a useful skill in the geopolitical area of Europe...

Relations with the Swiss were of course important as French holdings included the regions around the city of Geneva, which, while ethnically French were traditionally part of the Swiss borders. Therefore a reliable ally to the east, especially with the recent nonsense of PEPTO occurring in Valencia, the Empire's European allies were becoming few and fair in between. While Therese was a firm believer in the idea of doing things her way and therefore the right way, strong allies were a necessity as well. Therefore she wasted no time in alerting the Swiss that she would personally attend meetings in Bern, but declined their private jet. Taking a ride through the countryside instead, especially so that she could visit Geneva on the way to the Swiss capital. After staying a day on the shores of the lake she continued the rest of the way to Bern.

She had told President Grunewald to meet her instead at the front steps of his capitol building, wherever in the city that might be. Once arriving of course, the Empress descended from the limousine in the elegance that any French Empress would command. The Foreign Minister and a personal servant at her side as she walked up to where Grunewald stood. "Monsieur President, it is a pleasure to be here in Bern, I thank you for the invitation."

Dominik watched as the Empress stepped out of her limousine. Once she was completely out, he took a step forward and gave a small bow of respect. "I assure, Bern is pleasured to have you within her borders, [i]Sehr geehrte Kaiserin[/i] Zelle." The French leader seemed to radiate pride, on a national and personal level. To an inexperienced politician like Dominik, it was almost awe-inspiring.

"I am honored that you would attend this meeting in person. If you would please follow me, we'll be heading directly into the Meeting Hall of the Capitol, and we can begin our discussions in earnest," said Dominik, gesturing towards the door that would lead them into the Capitol. The short walk into the Meeting Hall was uneventful.

Dominik opened the door for the French Empress, and her aide, allowing them to pass into the Meeting Hall before himself. The Meeting Hall, refashioned from the ground up after the declaration of independence from the GDR, had been adorned with what Aurelia had deemed 'necessities'. The Meeting Hall had an elegant marble pattern stretching across the length of the floor, interrupted only by small pillars of ebony. The ebony pillars stood out amongst the sheer whiteness of the marble patterning, creating a stark contrast. Atop the pillars, sat a highly polished glass table. Scattered around the room were tables and such, some decorated with exotic or native flowers, others with bits of food for the attendants to snack on, and others with small computer terminals.

He gestured towards one of the ornate chairs seated around the table, and took a seat across from the French Empress, only after she had sat down. "Once more, I would like to thank you for agreeing to discussions. In the interests of not dilly-dallying, I'd like to move right into talks," stated Dominik.

"Western Switzerland is surrounded by three nations: France, to the West, the German Democratic Republic to our East, and to our South, the Sicilian League. While it is in our best interests to get to know and befriend each nation, I personally feel that, out of our three neighbors, an esteemed friendship with France would benefit not only us, but France as well, the most.

It is with that in mind, that I ask you what can Switzerland offer France, and what can France offer in return?"

Therese nodded and tapped her chin, she looked Dominik up and down as he sat across the table. Her hair fell just down around her right eye, but when she moved slightly the eye patch that covered it could be revealed slightly with the insignia of a white cross emblazoned on the front. Closing her left eye, the Empress through for a moment and crossed her hands below her chin. "I have been waiting for the day that the Swiss would finally find it in their hearts and power to select their own course of destiny. France as you well know, if you are acquainted with current events has not pleased any great audience in the world. I have already been called an Evil Empress and my nation one of the scourges of Europe and I am not phased in the slightest, therefore, what France desires of any nation seeking her friendship, is a mutual understand that this friendship can be strong, it can be very strong, but it must be stronger in the face of international adversity."

"If the Swiss can offer France a friendly voice within the chorus of criticism, a reliable partner in trade and military support. Then I can assure you, one, given that it is South Germany's prerogative to protect you, given you came from their very country, and two the strength of France as well. Your nation, unless you do it yourself, will never fall. Your security is guaranteed and perhaps in the future, if you do turn out to be as reliable as I hope. Geneva will once again fly the Swiss flag."

"I have a great respect for my friends Monsieur Grunewald and even if our paths cross in detrimental ways you will always have my respect so long as the feeling is mutual." Her left eye sparkled. "But what can the Swiss do for France?"

Dominik listened intently to what Therese had to say, and the part about Geneva definitely piqued his interest. He, and Aurelia, had hopes to reunify Switzerland, and France and GDR both had parts still under their control. How they intended to achieve this, they had yet to completely discern, but this was definitely a step in the right direction.

"Switzerland can, and will, provide both economical and military aid, should the French request and or need it. We will stand by you internationally and weather any storm that brews over you. We shall be a stalwart ally. The only thing that I ask of France, is that, for this unwavering support, is for France to be completely and wholly honest with us in any affairs involving each other. Switzerland would not like to be kept in the dark, and neither would I, [i]meine Dame[/i]."

Edited by Biohazard

"Oh of course not Monsieur, France would be happy to support the Swiss in all their endeavors that isn't a problem at all. As well as being perfectly honest with you. I will not try to beat around the bush, I am an expansionist and an imperialist, but if the Swiss serve valiantly aside French soldiers anytime in our histories. You will have my eternal gratitude. I'm sure in the future you will be able to test such affirmed loyalty. As to you sitting in the dark..." Therese smiled, her teeth gently showing behind her lips. "...you will know everything that happens Dominik. I do not hide my ambitions from the world. That is something to be sure of, I take pride in what I have done and I always will."

"Excellent, Therese. I am glad that we have reached a common understanding of not only our relations, but yours, and my own, goals. If you feel comfortable, I believe a treaty should be written up, in order to announce to the world our intents of mutual benefits. I'd say a simple mutual defense, economic, intelligence, and possibly aggression pact would be appropriate, wouldn't you?" replied Dominik, smiling immensely, after having reached a common ground with Therese.

"Actually, given the Swiss proximity to France and your loyalty to both France and South Germany I believe acting as one in the face of invaders and against nations to fall to the French flag. A Mutual Aggression and Defense Pact would serve us both better. In light of that, I can present you with this." Therese pulled a piece of parchment out of her pocket and handed it to Dominik. "If you can agree to that, we can consider ourselves the best of allies."

[quote]
Preamble
The Empire of France and the Republic of Western Switzerland hereby enter into a pact of defense and military support.

Article I. Non Aggression
The undersigned nations hereby agree to non-aggression. Neither nation will engage in military or undercover operations against the other.

Article II. Free Trade
France and the Western Swiss hereby agree to free trade between their nations. All goods traded between the two nations are exempt from tariffs.

Article III. Mutual Defense
The undersigned nations agree to enter into mutual defense. An attack upon one signatory will be considered an attack upon both, and will be treated as such.

Article IV. Treaty Chains
Should one signatory be attacked for honoring a non-related treaty, defense becomes optional. Both signatories recognize that defense in this case is no longer required, but it is still encouraged.

Article V. Mutual Aggression
In the event that one signatory engages in an offensive war against a third party, the other signatory is required to declare war in assistance of the attacker.

Article VI. Cancellation
This treaty can be terminated by either signatory at any time, provided that the other nation is made aware of the cancellation 48 hours in advance. This treaty is considered to still be in effect until the 48 hours is up.

Signed for France,

Therese Zelle,
Empress of France

Charles Talles,
Foreign Minister
[/quote]

He wrote his signature on the space provided, ([i]Dominik Grunewald, President of Western Switzerland[/i]). Once he had finished, he turned and looked towards Therese. "Then it's agreed: To the new allies of Western Switzerland! I look forward to our endeavors, [i]meine Dame[/i]," said Dominik, smiling.