TOOL's Throwdown

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standings as of June 12th:
1. [b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] - 68 ([color="green"]+4[/color])
2. [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] - 31* ([color="green"]+2[/color])
3. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] - 23 ([color="green"]+3[/color])
4. [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] - 13 ([color="red"]+0[/color])
5. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b] - 12 ([color="green"]+5[/color])
6. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b] - 8 ([color="red"]+0[/color])

* indicates that Legion's numbers may be a bit skewed due to their MoR being away and unable to confirm the #'s. Will have a definite number at the end of the contest, but it should not be too far from this number.

Commentary:

Had a long day today, so i'm gonna keep this short. [b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] gathered 4 recruits today, one of their slower days, if not the slowest so far. But still very far ahead in the lead and can afford to have such a day. Unsure about their numbers due to their MoR's absence (confirmed numbers at the end of competition), [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] can confirm that they have gotten 2 for sure today, getting them up to 31, but still very far from TPF. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] is having consistent days, getting another 3 recruits today, getting closer to overtaking Legion. [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] had another horrible day, gathering in no recruits. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b], on the other hand, had a terrific day and managed to scrape in 5 recruits, and are todays [b]BIGGEST GAINERS[/b]. Congratulations our young protectorate, you have done well, keep it up. Speaking of which, with this gain they have overtaken LoSS. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b], much like TOOL, had a horrible day with no recruits as well.

[quote name='Seth Muscarella' date='12 June 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1276387550' post='2335530']
Based on TPF/Robster's recruitment messages, I have a feeling few applicants will actually be in the alliance when the contest is over. At least it gives good numbers now though haha.
[/quote]

I've seen a surprising number of their applicants coming into their IRC channel, so I'd say that you may be wrong on this one.

[quote name='memoryproblems' date='13 June 2010 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1276413080' post='2336023']
I've seen a surprising number of their applicants coming into their IRC channel, so I'd say that you may be wrong on this one.
[/quote]
It's possible, but my point was more that promising money without mentioning that it would be payable upon entrance into the alliance attracts many recruits, but in the end TPF could turn almost every one of them away and not have to deliver on their promise. It wins recruiting contests but in the long run, you may find many of the members you gained to be only motivated by money.

Sparta offered a 3 mil sign on bonus for a long time and we had many good members come from it, but many more shifty ones. Once we did away with the bonus, the quality of our applicants went up significantly.

[quote name='Seth Muscarella' date='13 June 2010 - 02:49 AM' timestamp='1276415371' post='2336033']
It's possible, but my point was more that promising money without mentioning that it would be payable upon entrance into the alliance attracts many recruits, but in the end TPF could turn almost every one of them away and not have to deliver on their promise. It wins recruiting contests but in the long run, you may find many of the members you gained to be only motivated by money.

Sparta offered a 3 mil sign on bonus for a long time and we had many good members come from it, but many more shifty ones. Once we did away with the bonus, the quality of our applicants went up significantly.
[/quote]

Recruiting is largely a game of numbers. One of the things that sticks out to me from your reply is that you had many good members come from it. Is it not possible that some of those good members may have passed up on sparta had they not been lured by that 3 million? You've essentially got to get people in the door to see what they are, and if you don't have a good recruiting pitch to get people into the door, you could see alot of members who would pan out to be great members go elsewhere. Of course you'll see some people joining only for the money, but from my experience, these are the sort of people who don't last in the game anyway. Having decent policies and filters in place to determine when the aid comes and who gets through to that stage can help to 1) have an effective recruiting pitch and 2) not have alot of waste going to undeserving members. Its kind of a fine balance I suppose.

[quote name='Seth Muscarella' date='13 June 2010 - 02:49 AM' timestamp='1276415371' post='2336033']

[/quote]

Well I dont see how that is true, while I agree with your point the message attracts both money hunters and quality members. On average our academy takes 4-5 days to finish and sometimes more, as we have 4 phases. 13 of the members we recruited ended up finishing it either on their first day or within second. I dont deny that we use statistics to our advantage - after all it is a recruiting contest, however I assure you that we have ATLEAST 25 members who will stay with TPF for the right reasons. I offered aid to 5 guys a few days ago, and 3 of them refused to take it, as they said they would rather read the guides first and earn it through doing work themself ( tech deals.) I think we attract all types of people ofcourse... Money seekers and quality members. But I wont deny that at the moment its about getting the numbers - the rules state that we can even deny the application but get a count, which means that we only accept the right people. As doing background checks we already found 3-4 people who we dont feel were good enough to get into TPF.

Also before doing the recruiting contest I done alot of research, I spoke to many newbies and asked them why they chose the alliance they chose, they said because they didnt have a knowledge about the alliances, they based it on points about guides, community, advantages for them and also the majority said they dont like overdone messages. Thats why we stopped using a message with rich vocabulary and we just keep it simple. I spoke to many recruiters from many alliances to see what works best for them too.

Also Seth, its the little things that count for alot. For example, we ask a question, "How are you?", which engages the reader and tempts them to reply to the question and therefore to the mail, and once they reply they are kind of hooked and its easy to get them from there. Even using the smilies, it sets a nice atmosphere, as most people who come to play the game arent looking to have such a serious time playing and just want to have fun. So all those really serious recruiting messages may not work as well as the simple ones.

So yeah, I admit I use statistics to our advantage, as it is a recruiting contest. However trust me, to pass our academy you have to be a good member. If not then we reject them and kick them out of the process, as TPF has always been quality over quantity.

Edited by Robster83

[quote name='grouchomarx' date='13 June 2010 - 05:07 AM' timestamp='1276423614' post='2336060']
Hey, silent, what about re-setting up the "recruiting dream team" of TOOL? :P

If I was not working on setting up my alliance's recruiting Dept, then I would offer some help to our old fellas :rolleyes::D

Anyway, good luck TOOOOOOOOOOL
[/quote]

O_O groucho - where have you been?! (also didn't know you left V_V)

Standings as of June 13th:
1. [b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] - 75 ([color="green"]+7[/color])
2. [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] - 32* ([color="green"]+1[/color])
3. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] - 25 ([color="green"]+2[/color])
4. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b] - 15 ([color="green"]+3[/color])
5. [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] - 14 ([color="green"]+1[/color])
6. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b] - 11 ([color="green"]+3[/color])

* indicates that Legion's numbers may be a bit skewed due to their MoR being away and unable to confirm the #'s. Will have a definite number at the end of the contest, but it should not be too far from this number.

Commentary:

[b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] is back, pulling in an around average number for them today of 7 recruits, bringing them up to 75 total! [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] was only able to scrape up 1 for today, slower day for them. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] took in 2 today, a little slower for them too, but better than nothing! [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] had a bad day as well, getting only 1 recruit. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b], able to take advantage of TOOL's stagnation, scraped up 3 recruits, enough to pass them by 1 in the competition and put them in 4th place. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b] had a much better day today, bringing in 3 recruits. This puts them into double digits now.

COME ON THE REST OF YOU :P

ok.. nice to continue to see the TPF Applicant base swelling as well as our internal application thread.

Hope to see the rest of you alliances at the finish line.. *gives your recruiters some Red Bull to get over the hump come hump day!....*

oo/ Go Robster and Crew! Great work still guys!

[quote name='grouchomarx' date='13 June 2010 - 06:07 AM' timestamp='1276423614' post='2336060']
Hey, silent, what about re-setting up the "recruiting dream team" of TOOL? :P

If I was not working on setting up my alliance's recruiting Dept, then I would offer some help to our old fellas :rolleyes::D

Anyway, good luck TOOOOOOOOOOL
[/quote]
Hey, Groucho. where did you come from?

You guys could also see if Italy would mind returning to TOOL for the 4th (5th?) time or wake up carnage if he is still around to help out.

[quote name='William Blake' date='14 June 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1276542707' post='2337407']
Hey, Groucho. where did you come from?

You guys could also see if Italy would mind returning to TOOL for the 4th (5th?) time or wake up carnage if he is still around to help out.
[/quote]

I believe we'll keep him :P

oo/

Standings as of June 14th:
1. [b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] - 82 ([color="green"]+7[/color])
2. [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] - 33* ([color="green"]+1[/color])
3. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] - 31 ([color="green"]+6[/color])
4. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b] - 18 ([color="green"]+3[/color])
5. [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] - 15 ([color="green"]+1[/color])
6. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b] - 12 ([color="green"]+1[/color])

Commentary:

[b][color="#696969"]The Phoenix Federation[/color][/b] had another pretty good day today, getting 7 more. This really does make their average 7 recruits. Let's see if they can keep this average up for the rest of the competition and break 200 applicants. [b][color="#800080"]The Legion[/color][/b] may have only gotten 1 recruit today. I blame Feibelman. [b][color="#696969"]Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics[/color][/b] had a very nice day today with 6 recruits! This almost got them biggest gainer. They are now only 2 behind Legion and is in a good position to pass them and take the #2 spot. [b][color="#696969"]The Blood Brothers[/color][/b] got another 3 recruits today, giving them a total of 18. [b][color="#696969"]The Order of Light[/color][/b] had a good day, but not in terms of recruiting, getting only 1 recruit and letting BB take a larger lead on them. [b][color="#000000"]League of Small Superpowers[/color][/b] had slowed their role again, coming up with only 1 recruit for the day.

Well, my fellow TOOLies:

I think, I say I THINK, we've gottem just about where we wantem. Maybe this weekend. I think we've got room for about two, maybe three more on the bus to Abilene, but that's all. Everybody got their Recruitin' Kit all ready to go? Any questions? None? Good. Get those function keys warmed up, now. Remember, Stealth. By the time they see us coming up on em, we'll be so far ahead of 'em they won't even be seen in our rearviews.

It's gonna be brutal. It's gonna be awesome! Ah, to be a TOOL!

[quote name='Merlinus' date='14 June 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1276577680' post='2337945']
Well, my fellow TOOLies:

I think, I say I THINK, we've gottem just about where we wantem. Maybe this weekend. I think we've got room for about two, maybe three more on the bus to Abilene, but that's all. Everybody got their Recruitin' Kit all ready to go? Any questions? None? Good. Get those function keys warmed up, now. Remember, Stealth. By the time they see us coming up on em, we'll be so far ahead of 'em they won't even be seen in our rearviews.

It's gonna be brutal. It's gonna be awesome! Ah, to be a TOOL!
[/quote]

I wish you and the other alliances the best! The more the merrier and if we all end up with a ton of recruits.. especially acitve ones, then better for all of us :)

[quote name='shahenshah' date='14 June 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1276578279' post='2337950']
TPF please get sanctioned.
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement, but we are aiming for strong membership and some fresh nations to ramp up. Besides, I don't think sheer numbers will make Sanctioning a reality at this point.. perhaps in time..
Been there, done that, etc...

\oo/

[quote name='deathcat' date='15 June 2010 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1276578549' post='2337956']
Thanks for the encouragement, but we are aiming for strong membership and some fresh nations to ramp up. Besides, I don't think sheer numbers will make Sanctioning a reality at this point.. perhaps in time..
Been there, done that, etc...

\oo/
[/quote]
But can you imagine all the 'rise of ebil TPF' ragelolz? :(

[quote name='shahenshah' date='15 June 2010 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1276578973' post='2337963']
But can you imagine all the 'rise of ebil TPF' ragelolz? :(
[/quote]

Those were the days.....

In all seriousness, we have already picked up quite a few active new members. Some of these many recruits will of course decide that either TPF or even Bob aren't for them, but I think we are going to end up with a goodly number of quality new members.