The Iberian Campaign: Part II

Sarah Tintagyl

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='04 June 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1275710985' post='2324148']
"In all due respect Monsieur Grönholm, if France had not moved in, I doubt that your organization would have ever stumbled on their problems of instability. Valencia has not made contact with the world for about a year and yet nothing was done, now, France moves and all of Europe is up in arms about what has been occurring in Iberia. North Germany has expanded because of fraudulent elections and in fact the entirety of Belorussian independence was in my opinion, wrong. It was a mockery of the Slavic Union who held the land in peace. So this is allowed to happen, but we are threatened most likely with war for moving into Valencia, which I believe is part of our Sphere of Influence."

Therese sighed and shook her head. "Gentlemen I apologize, but in truth PEPTO bothers me because I don't believe it is doing what I believe the alliance was originally forged to do. It is to promote peace, but that peace should be a legal and equal peace. For Europeans. There is a Atlantian colony in Monaco, there is a division between the West and East and besides taunting, PEPTO has no teeth." She looked at the South German representative. "Europe looks up to your nation sir, all of Europe, at least the West. Surely you must be tired of what you see as well? But what do you see coming out of a Joint-Protectorate, because your charter, of which, Valencia feel into anarchy. France can protect areas in our sphere much better we believe. My problem is, besides your charter what benefit does this serve to France? For being the ones to alert Europe to the anarchy, to pushing in our troops first, we seem to have the most to lose whether by having to submit to your bureaucracy or hear PEPTO's drums of war beating on our doorstep."

"If anything I could understand the creation of Valencia as a French protectorate and your support of further movements to secure the Peninsula. Other than that, there is not much benefit to our side. Beside your attempt to instill fear."
[/quote]
He adjusts his glasses, "Madam, please, don't change the subject. We are not here to discuss France's issues with PEPTO's actions, though I personally believe your country lost all right to criticize said actions when your own nation left PEPTO. If France really wanted PEPTO to change, they would have worked inside of it, not run their mouth about how it isn't doing a good enough job. Now, we are here to discuss what happens with Valencia, nothing more, nothing less. We have a legal obligation to hold the area as a protectorate, and Finland does not falter on it's legal obligations. I do not care if it does not benefit France, PEPTO nor Europe has any obligation to benefit France, but PEPTO DOES have a legal obligation to control the land and allow a local government to rise. If France wishes to HELP with this goal, they are more than welcome to deploy an equal number of soldiers as the PEPTO deployment to the region. We offered this same deal to the Slavic Federation in terms of the Belorussian protectorate, and I am offering it to France. Welcome to equality."

Edited by BaronUberstein

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='05 June 2010 - 05:17 AM' timestamp='1275711450' post='2324166']
He adjusts his glasses, "Madam, please, don't change the subject. We are not here to discuss France's issues with PEPTO's actions, though I personally believe your country lost all right to criticize said actions when your own nation left PEPTO. If France really wanted PEPTO to change, they would have worked inside of it, not run their mouth about how it isn't doing a good enough job. Now, we are here to discuss what happens with Valencia, nothing more, nothing less. We have a legal obligation to hold the area as a protectorate, and Finland does not falter on it's legal obligations. I do not care if it does not benefit France, PEPTO nor Europe has any obligation to benefit France, but PEPTO DOES have a legal obligation to control the land and allow a local government to rise. If France wishes to HELP with this goal, they are more than welcome to deploy an equal number of soldiers as the PEPTO deployment to the region. We offered this same deal to the Slavic Federation in terms of the Belorussian protectorate, and I am offering it to France. Welcome to equality."
[/quote]

Therese chuckled. "Very well, my apologies Monsieur, I didn't mean to upset you by getting off subject. Talking in strict terms of Valencia, it was France that secured the nation first, it was Valencia that collapsed, and while there may be legal documentation that PEPTO should lay claim to this area. In truth, this destroys all French ambitions for Iberia. While we of course may get lucky like the Slavs did and get a madman to fabricate votes and divide land, that is an underhanded way of receiving territory on the path to Empire. It is not something I condone. France is not part of PEPTO anymore, PEPTO did not act, France did. To just give the land away that otherwise would have rotted to nothing. I would like to come to a compromise Monsieur, one that would make both France and your alliance happy. One that ensures that legalities are upheld whilst French domination of Iberia in the future is secured as well."

"My proposal is this. Iberia at the moment is shared between French Galicia, Spain, and Scottish Portugal. The Scots are our allies, like Finland, or at least we presume you are. Therefore in terms of close alliances and perhaps the transfer of Portugal in the future, France could very well secure the peninsula. As such, I would be willing to rejoin PEPTO and up hold its principles as well as any leader. Perhaps even militarize it in the future for the set of teeth that Western Europe desperately needs. With France in PEPTO, there should be no problems with annexation of that land because it will be a continuation of the charter. As such the alliance can begin to look at how to preserve the strength of Europe and so on, looking at outside holdings and the recent troubles in the East. Would you be willing to agree to that?"

"The state government of Texas is completely dissatisfied with France's recent actions. The French shield their selfish intentions behind the mask of peace and glory. France, if you desire peace in the region, you send humanitarian aid, not push your troops over into Valencia. Pull your troops out of Iberia and cease your imperialistic thoughts. They are not welcome in this world."

"Well, that is certainly an interesting proposal, and I think it is agreeable enough to vote on. PEPTO will have to agree on it before I can say yes. It seems perfectly legal, though I do believe that should a local government rise again, France should support it."

OOC: Sorry for the short post.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='06 June 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1275781055' post='2325290']
"However, the GDR would very much prefer a protectorate to annexion by France, or anyone else."
[/quote]

"Depending on how the vote within PEPTO goes, we will discuss an alternative afterward."

Taeunas finds no fault in the actions of France. A discussion of intent before hand would have been preferable, but our opinion is the same now as it would been. France has the support of Taeunas and the WEU.

We do think that Finland has overstepped it's bounds by sending soldiers into an area already secured by a soverign nation. It would probably be a good idea if they were removed.

OOC: No way to hide a move that large B.

"There is no problem, but France appreciates the support of Taeunas and of the Western European Union. Finland is permitted into the territory by the good graces of the French people and military, as all of PEPTO is allowed. We are in discussion now for the fate of Valencia. But either way, the native people will be respected."
-Therese Zelle

[quote name='DeSchaine' date='05 June 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1275784299' post='2325357']
Taeunas finds no fault in the actions of France. A discussion of intent before hand would have been preferable, but our opinion is the same now as it would been. France has the support of Taeunas and the WEU.

We do think that Finland has overstepped it's bounds by sending soldiers into an area already secured by a soverign nation. It would probably be a good idea if they were removed.

OOC: No way to hide a move that large B.
[/quote]
OOC: I know, but people would have to be watching to see it.

IC:
The Republic of Finland is legally obligated to secure the territory by the charter of PEPTO. France's occupation is an illegal occupation of PEPTO Territory at the moment.

[quote name='Kaede Alexeivich' date='03 June 2010 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1275544172' post='2321818']
Such rude and unwarranted accusations are unneeded here. Supporting another nation's actions is not 'sucking from their teat' as you put it. The Alliance is quite uninvolved in Europe's affairs beyond commenting on them.
[/quote]

The esteemed personage from Kuutsmil is free to speak as he chooses. Earn respect to receive it.

There is nothing illegal about it. Valencia was a member of the WEU and as such falls under our jurisdiction, not PEPTO. Article IX of the WEU treaty specificly provides for situations of this type.

However, since France is allowing Finland in, we will withdraw our objection for now.

[b]*Classified*[/b]

While the votes and discussions with PEPTO were still on going, the French military inside Valencia, numbered at two-hundred thousand men was not necessary to maintain such a heavy presence. As such, French forces, which were centered around the cities of Barcelona and Zaragoza were reduced to forty thousand men in both cities, while the other one hundred twenty thousand men were withdrawn back to the French Homeland.

Actually, the WEU has priority due to it's language. With France being a member of the WEU and not PEPTO, it becomes our responsibility fully. We in Taeunas really have no issue with the steps taken, but seeing as how Scotland does, we will take it up for discussion. In the meantime, we will be sending observers to the region.

"Valencia was member of both WEU and PEPTO. Thus both organisations have an obligation to protect the region's people.
The GDR already has sent 20,000 men to act as a security- and police force, which will stay until redeployed on PEPTO orders or an independent government rises.
Just as reminder."

The Western European Union dictates that it overides all other treaties, including PEPTO. Therefore, PEPTO has absolutely no business in our affairs. We request all non-WEU parties to leave and allow this issue to be sorted out by nations party to the WEU. Article IX clearly states that should a member state of the WEU fall into anarchy, it is to be protected by the remaining members of the WEU. The treaty again states that it overides treaties such as PEPTO. Valencia's government acknowledged this when they signed the treaty.

Edited by King Penchuk

[b]**CLASSIFIED MESSAGE**
[/b]
To: WEU Member Nations
SUBJECT: Valencia

Good day to you,

The Republic of Spain would like to formally set an offer to the WEU... We will help peace keep and/or upkeep the Valencian borders if you so require or wish, we will also supply resources to the people if required. We do not like to see neighbors in anarchy and despair and will do all we can to help it's people.

Please let us know what it is you wish and/OR require from Spain and we will provide it.

Kindly,
The Republic of Spain.

[b]**END MESSAGE**
[/b]

[code]
**Classified Message**

To: The Republic of Spain
Subject: Valencia

While I most certainly appreciate the offer for your aid in securing Valencia further, it is not necessary.
With the beginning of PEPTO forces withdrawing, France has the military strength to secure the region to prevent any loss of life,
or property because of lawlessness.
Your kindness of course is appreciated and will be remembered.

Sincerely,

Therese Zelle,
Empress of France
[/code]

[b]**Classified**[/b]

With the Finnish Withdraw, French forces were required a small turn around to secure Valencia and the western regions of the country as well, bringing total French strength in the country to one hundred twenty thousand men along with tank divisions and artillery batteries.

[b]**CLASSIFIED**[/b]

With the very high amount of French troops next door, the Spanish Military is being put on alert. Borders are to be reinforced by 1/3rds, troops, tanks, artillery, Anti-Aircraft and Anti-Tank are placed a few miles from the border. Coast Guard is on alert for any naval movement. Missiles and Military are set to DEFCON 4.

[b]**END CLASSIFIED** [/b]

[b]**REPLY**[/b]

Certainly.

Spain.