The Iberian Campaign: Part II

Sarah Tintagyl

Since the defeat of Galicia and the entrance of their nation as a satellite state of France onto the world state, Therese's desire to expand the French Empire southward had been placed at a halt. While the Spanish were nearly always skirting on the fence between actually existing as a unified state or falling into anarchy, the Valencians to the French immediate south were even more dubious at making anything of the Western European Union they were involved in, or that they were supposed to be involved in. It was the problem with Western Europe, it was home to some of the eldest of nations in the world, Scotland or what had been Proxia, what had been the Welsh Empire, Taeunas, but none of those nations contributed much to the advancement of Europe or for that matter the world. In the Empress' mind, France and the German Democratic Republic were the only true voices of Western Europe and depending on the time of the year, North Germany.

That being said, the nation of Valencia had shown all signs of being completely being dismantled by internal problems, as what happened to all governments that refused to beckon to the call of their people. If I government became unresponsive then the people took it upon themselves to govern and for the most part it happened with the worst results imaginable. Needless to say, the Western European Union was unresponsive, PEPTO was more worried about the recent Slavic acquisition of Belarus and so it would fall to France, yet again to bring order, stability, discipline, and strength back to the east coast of Iberia.

With a garrison of twenty thousand still in Galicia, Therese ordered General Astier of the Second Army of France two-hundred thousand soldiers as well two thousand armor and a corp of artillery to march south from Pau and deploy in Zaragoza and Barcelona, from capturing these two cities they would then move south to take Valencia if everything went to plan. Of course the Empire had every intention to annex the territory, if it became a problem in the future, the negotiation table was always there but if the people of Valencia desired independence then France would of course oblige as well as push for the same deal that would come with Galicia. But again, all things for the negotiation table later on.

As such the march began as the two hundred thousand man force poured over the Pyrenees to Zaragoza and Barcelona, whilst the Empress made the following message to the world.

[quote]
[i]
Ladies and Gentlemen of France and my neighbors of the Global Community,

In the last few months Europe has seen a great deal of national collapse and annexation, in Eastern Europe we have seen the destruction of Belarus and the finding of good homes for their people in the Slavic Federation, the Slavorussian Empire, and North Germany. Those noble nations took it upon themselves to bring stability to a nation on the brink of collapse just as I intend to repeat the same trials with the people of Valencia. The nations of Valencia which lays on the French Southern Border has not been in response for nearly a year and their collapse brings a major threat to the stability of our southern economy and stability. Therefore France has taken it upon herself to return stability and order to the people of Valencia as such, two hundred thousand men of our Second Army have been deployed over the Pyrenees to occupy the nation and as such Valencia will be annexed into the French Empire as a sovereign territory of the Empress.

The Western European Union has shown that they have been unable to address this problem as has PEPTO, these alliances are not at fault, such a problem can slip through the cracks in a bureaucracy and the strength of these organizations is not to be questioned. However, I feel that France must act alone in Iberia that it is our duty to make sure that our southern borders and our friends in Galicia are protected from the hordes of anarchy. To the people of Valencia, your time of safety and freedom returns today. In Zaragoza, in Barcelona, and surely in Valencia you will be given every benefit and aid that you have been denied of the past year. Together we will make France, Valencia, Iberia, and Western Europe, prosperous and powerful.

Vive la Valencia, Vive la France![/i]
[/quote]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Republic of Finland condemns this actions, and demands that France cease it's illegal actions at once. "The country of Valencia is a member nation of PEPTO, and per the protectorate clause, their territory is to be administered by either PEPTO or the Western European Union. The Republic of Finland will activate it's ODP with Valencia should France not retreat in 24 hours and allow PEPTO/WEU peacekeepers to take control."

Classified:
Airborne divisions are loading onto aircraft, all radar networks and aircraft are to be on alert.

Edited by BaronUberstein

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='02 June 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1275543597' post='2321798']
The Republic of Finland condemns this actions, and demands that France cease it's illegal actions at once. "The country of Valencia is a member nation of PEPTO, and per the protectorate clause, their territory is to be administered by either PEPTO or the Western European Union. The Republic of Finland will activate it's ODP with Valencia should France not retreat in 24 hours and allow PEPTO/WEU peacekeepers to take control."
[/quote]
France's 'illegal' actions were more than justified. How long would the people of Valencia have had to languish in anarchy and chaos before PEPTO would finally notice their plight? Would PEPTO even have known of Valencia's strife if not for France's announcement?

[quote name='Kaede Alexeivich' date='02 June 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1275543732' post='2321805']
France's 'illegal' actions were more than justified. How long would the people of Valencia have had to languish in anarchy and chaos before PEPTO would finally notice their plight? Would PEPTO even have known of Valencia's strife if not for France's announcement?
[/quote]
It is not France's place to take the territory. Just because few announcements are made does not mean a nation has fallen in anarchy, and we, in an agreement with the Western European Union, assumed that they would take the proper actions. However, it appears that the WEU has failed to act, and thus it is up to PEPTO to secure the region, not France. We stand by our ultimatum.

[quote name='Kaede Alexeivich' date='03 June 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1275543732' post='2321805']
[/quote]

"Hello. How long have you been sucking from France's teat?"

[quote name='Sargun' date='02 June 2010 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1275543966' post='2321811']
"Hello. How long have you been sucking from France's teat?"
[/quote]
Such rude and unwarranted accusations are unneeded here. Supporting another nation's actions is not 'sucking from their teat' as you put it. The Alliance is quite uninvolved in Europe's affairs beyond commenting on them.

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='02 June 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1275543597' post='2321798']

Classified:
Airborne divisions are loading onto aircraft, all radar networks and aircraft are to be on alert.
[/quote]

"It is interesting how the PEPTO would threaten one of its own members that way."

"PEPTO and the WEU were, within each of their spheres of influence, established for the protection of Europe from [i]outside[/i] interference. It is interesting to note that they object so strongly to any nation but themselves taking a hand in helping their neighbors--even when the 'interfering' nation is European themselves. France is European, France acted first, and as such should have the right to administer the territory as it sees fit until order is restored."

"Of course we would welcome the Peacekeepers from PEPTO as well if the Western European Union would decide to send them as well. In addition, I would like to arrange a meeting with PEPTO and Western European Union leaders in Versailles when you are available. We have a great deal to talk about."
-Therese Zelle

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='03 June 2010 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1275557244' post='2321914']
"PEPTO and the WEU were, within each of their spheres of influence, established for the protection of Europe from [i]outside[/i] interference. It is interesting to note that they object so strongly to any nation but themselves taking a hand in helping their neighbors--even when the 'interfering' nation is European themselves. France is European, France acted first, and as such should have the right to administer the territory as it sees fit until order is restored."
[/quote]
"As a founding member of PEPTO, we will stand by it's charter, and that means the land is legally ours or should the Western European Union use their superior claim to the region as per the protectorate clause, belongs to them. France, not being a member of PEPTO, has no right to the land. We don't know what they do in Australia, but we in Finland respect our legal documents."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='03 June 2010 - 03:48 AM' timestamp='1275562062' post='2321946']
"Of course we would welcome the Peacekeepers from PEPTO as well if the Western European Union would decide to send them as well. In addition, I would like to arrange a meeting with PEPTO and Western European Union leaders in Versailles when you are available. We have a great deal to talk about."
-Therese Zelle
[/quote]
"A joint protectorate is always acceptable in the spirit of European cooperation, we will send a diplomat to the table, and we hope that France will not attempt to hinder the deployment of our forces into Valencia."
Diplomat Erno Grönholm was sent to France via private plane to attend the discussions.

Classified:
4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th Airborne have started operations to deploy in Valencia to secure the region.

[i]Versailles, France[/i]

Therese tapped her fingers on the glass window looking out at the palace courtyard gate waiting anxiously for the PEPTO representatives to arrive. Things in Valencia were progressing as was planned and as expected for that matter, she had actually believed Finland to be more paranoid then they had acted within the diplomatic channels. However outside of Europe she had most of the world on her side, especially the Holy Americans who were steadily becoming one of the Empire's strongest allies aside from the South Germans. Out of the crops of trees she watched as the iron gates were opened and the representative's limousines were begun to be filtered into the palace. As the Empress turned, the doors behind her opened as Marshal St.Croix walked in with a sight frown on his face.

"Is something wrong Jean-Phillipe? With the front?"

The Marshal chuckled. "No, not that at all Your Highness, I just didn't expect you to seem so cherry given the discussions that have to begin."

Therese shook her head, her cheeks flushed with rouge and her blue dress dragging gently on the ground. "You worry too much Marshal." She said patting the tuft of blonde hair on the back of her head. "These negotiations will go just as planned, we have already painted out for the world to see the ineffectiveness of both alliances, mind you not to the insulting points that the Easterners use, but then again they don't have much room to talk." She chuckled and began to walk out of her quarters into the palace corridors.

"What do you think their demands will be?"

"Like all continental alliances, they stick up for their friends and given that our track record is next to nothing, we'll be asked to leave the territory that only we have attempted recently to give some semblance of stability to. Nevertheless, they will expect us to fold and be good little political children, its just a shame that there are larger fish that need fried and they turn their attention to France. God forbid PEPTO look at a fraudulent election in Belarus, an outsider colony in Monaco and so forth. For some reason I think they fear the Slavs and the North Americans." She pushed her hand in front of her, mockingly. "Nations love to walk around with their chests stuck out to show how great they are, its quite a pity. Needless to say, I intend to get a very good deal out of these talks."

"I would think no less of you Empress." Jean-Phillipe smiled as the two joined the Foreign Minister, Charles Talles in the grand hall as they walked to the entrance of the palace where the diplomats of the PEPTO organization were gathered.

Therese immediately bowed to the diplomats, as did her entourage. "Your Excellencies, it is a pleasure to have you in Versailles on such a beautiful day such as this. Please, we can take our discussions to the gardens, everything is prepared to host you." She led them down the gravel pathways of the courtyard to the outer gardens, where large table was set up, tea and small sandwiches were brought out to the diplomats. They would be able to talk with the peaceful sounds of a distant orchestra and the lapping of fountain water trickling down. After the diplomats were settled Therese folded her hands and looked at each one of them for about three seconds before beginning.

"I realize that the recent push into Valencia comes without much warning and I will not try to sugar coat facts here, this is expansion just as Galicia was expansion. However, unlike Galicia, Valencia, upon inspection has no functioning government of any type. They languish in anarchy and only until France was able to bring them out of this state, the people suffered under our very noses. Of course I realize that attention is turned elsewhere, whether it be war on the North American continent or the problems of the tasteless division of the Belorussian people. Nevertheless, I would like to hear PEPTO's expectations for France before I list out my own demands."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='03 June 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1275590322' post='2322316']
"As a founding member of PEPTO, we will stand by it's charter, and that means the land is legally ours or should the Western European Union use their superior claim to the region as per the protectorate clause, belongs to them. France, not being a member of PEPTO, has no right to the land. We don't know what they do in Australia, but we in Finland respect our legal documents."
[/quote]
"A charter and document that was not even followed until a former member acted upon it in the spirit of said document, if not the letter. However, as diplomatic ovurtures have been made, we will respect the willingness of both sides to talk and hold our peace until this is resolved one way or another."

OOC: Didn't realize you had posted.

IC:
Erno Grönholm listened to the speech, then speaks up, "I will be frank, the Republic of Finland is not amused with the recent trend of aggressive actions France has undertaken lately. The proper course of action would have been to contact us first, given how we, and I am refering to PEPTO as a whole, are the legally obligated caretakers of the territory should it fall under anarchy. But I are open to offer you what I believe to be a fair deal..." He sips his drink, "Due to your proximity to the region, a joint protectorate would be completely acceptable."

"In all due respect Monsieur Grönholm, if France had not moved in, I doubt that your organization would have ever stumbled on their problems of instability. Valencia has not made contact with the world for about a year and yet nothing was done, now, France moves and all of Europe is up in arms about what has been occurring in Iberia. North Germany has expanded because of fraudulent elections and in fact the entirety of Belorussian independence was in my opinion, wrong. It was a mockery of the Slavic Union who held the land in peace. So this is allowed to happen, but we are threatened most likely with war for moving into Valencia, which I believe is part of our Sphere of Influence."

Therese sighed and shook her head. "Gentlemen I apologize, but in truth PEPTO bothers me because I don't believe it is doing what I believe the alliance was originally forged to do. It is to promote peace, but that peace should be a legal and equal peace. For Europeans. There is a Atlantian colony in Monaco, there is a division between the West and East and besides taunting, PEPTO has no teeth." She looked at the South German representative. "Europe looks up to your nation sir, all of Europe, at least the West. Surely you must be tired of what you see as well? But what do you see coming out of a Joint-Protectorate, because your charter, of which, Valencia feel into anarchy. France can protect areas in our sphere much better we believe. My problem is, besides your charter what benefit does this serve to France? For being the ones to alert Europe to the anarchy, to pushing in our troops first, we seem to have the most to lose whether by having to submit to your bureaucracy or hear PEPTO's drums of war beating on our doorstep."

"If anything I could understand the creation of Valencia as a French protectorate and your support of further movements to secure the Peninsula. Other than that, there is not much benefit to our side. Beside your attempt to instill fear."