The Worst of Leadership

[quote name='Haflinger' date='02 June 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1275539602' post='2321727']
Anything which in some way resembles the leadership skills of DRDavid Banner of Rebbilon.
[/quote]

hahaha that guy is awesome, thanks for reminding me of him.

I was going to say Ephriam Gray myself, but I don't really feel the urge to dissect his many failings again. Aftter all, he's a human and as is such he's prone error like the rest of the species.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='04 June 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1275574797' post='2322055']Actually in the past I've accused Archon of deliberately hanging back and allowing MK membership to trash talk their way through conversations, only to show up to "save the day" if it looked like MK was taking too much of a PR hit. If in fact it's not a tactic, that would indeed reflect poorly on Archon's leadership or MK membership is simply that bad at following their leadership's example of relative decorum.[/quote]
If someone is being an idiot in public they damn well hear about it in private from just about everyone else. We are very good at self-regulation in that regard (no, disagreeing with you does not make them an idiot).

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='04 June 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1275574797' post='2322055']As for MK's admissions and membership policies, could be that they let almost everyone in (minus people who are true dregs, like aid thieves), but the leaders of newer nations must go through some sort of academy before they are full members. You would know better than me.[/quote]
Everyone goes through the academy (as well as a few other things), and lebubu has the power to reject any application at any time for just about any reason. He definitely does exercise this power.

Edited by Voytek

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='03 June 2010 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1275571584' post='2322038']
[color="#0000FF"]Like in MK?

MK also lets in anyone. This has destroyed the character of the alliance by letting the bottom of the barrel in. A poor mistake by MK's IA.

[/color]
[/quote]

Doesn't NSO let just about anyone to a more extreme than MK? Also, its kinda ironic to accuse the most active alliance in CN of letting anyone in, isn't it?

As far as some of the bigger mistakes I have made, I find I get myself in trouble when I make brash decisions based on emotion rather than staying disciplined.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='03 June 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1275571603' post='2322039']
[b]Traits of a Bad Leader[/b]

* [i]Dishonesty[/i] - Displays a lack of sincerity, integrity, and candor.

* [i]Incompetence[/i] - Acts are based upon on childlike emotional desires or feelings rather than on reason and moral principles.

* [i]Myopia[/i] - Lacks goals and has no vision for the future. Picks priorities based on impulse or emotion rather than their basic values.

* [i]Uninspiring[/i] - Fails to display confidence in all that they do. Lacking in endurance in mental, physical, and spiritual stamina. Fails to take charge when necessary.

* [i]Unintelligent[/i] - Seeks out the easiest assignments. Fails to become a student of the subject matter for which they are responsible.

* [i]Prejudice[/i] - Shows preferential treatment to others based on what someone is rather than who someone is. Displays a lack of empathy about the feelings, values, interests, and well-being of others.

* [i]Narrow-minded[/i] - Seeks out agreeable or like-minded individuals to the exclusion of others.

* [i]Cowardly[/i] - Lacks the perseverance to accomplish a goal, even when faced with obstacles. Displays panic and or fear openly when under stress.

* [i]Equivocal[/i] - Fails to demonstrate sound judgment resulting in the making of bad decisions at the wrong time.

* [i]Unimaginative[/i] - Slow to make timely and appropriate changes in thinking, plans, and methods. Fails to show creativity through repetitive goals, ideas, or solutions to problems. Lacking in innovation.

[i]OOC: Based upon "Traits of a Good Leader", Compiled by the Santa Clara University and the Tom Peters Group[/i]
[/quote]

I like this list very much, and I think if we were to ever compile a "How to Successfully lead an alliance on Bob" thread, it should go in there.

However Hal, I think you're missing one key point. And that is that many if not all of us have never lead anything remotely similar to the alliances on Bob before we arrived here. There is a learning curve, steeper for some than others.

But in the end, all of us if we take the steps towards becoming leaders and we continue in the journey, can be successful. It largely depends on your attitude towards the job, your willingness to spend the time required to be successful, and also who you surround yourself with.

Many young leaders have the potential to be the next major political figures on Bob, but one mistake according to the current leading body can cause your political career to be shot dead in the water early on and it takes great strides to restart. Rookie mistakes are just steps in learning, so in that statement, the only failures as leaders are the ones who do not take strides to correct their mistakes, learn from their losses and continue on towards success.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='03 June 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1275577431' post='2322100']
Doesn't NSO let just about anyone to a more extreme than MK? Also, its kinda ironic to accuse the most active alliance in CN of letting anyone in, isn't it?

As far as some of the bigger mistakes I have made, I find I get myself in trouble when I make brash decisions based on emotion rather than staying disciplined.
[/quote]

We do. I think RV is saying that as a consequence of letting in anyone, MK's character has suffered. Though, I could be misreading him. NSO's character has not suffered as a consequence of letting in anyone, so we will continue to do so.

And I think a common and important trait of being a leader is being recognized as one.

[quote name='Jrenster' date='03 June 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1275577941' post='2322110']
We do. I think RV is saying that as a consequence of letting in anyone, MK's character has suffered. Though, I could be misreading him. NSO's character has not suffered as a consequence of letting in anyone, so we will continue to do so.

And I think a common and important trait of being a leader is being recognized as one.
[/quote]

That's profound when I consider your alliance. Although I wasn't around when you formed, I am guessing you all initially grew on the strength of Moldavi's name.

Edited by supercoolyellow

RV, you admit in private that you only side with the perceived weaker political side because it's "more fun". And it's getting dull. :( There are plenty of herons over here. And we do let [i]anyone[/i] in, so you're welcome back at the time of your choosing.

[quote name='James I' date='03 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1275580229' post='2322158']
RV, you admit in private that you only side with the perceived weaker political side because it's "more fun". And it's getting dull. :( There are plenty of herons over here. And we do let [i]anyone[/i] in, so you're welcome back at the time of your choosing.
[/quote]

He has to join GOONS first.

Back on topic: I like Hal's list it seems pretty comprehensive and complete.

Edited by AirMe

I'd like to add one point in here.

Activity - an inactive leader is the quickest route to any of the other issues people have listed in here. Inactivity in leadership kills alliances.

[quote name='Wappas' date='03 June 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1275581336' post='2322179']
I'd like to add one point in here.

Activity - an inactive leader is the quickest route to any of the other issues people have listed in here. Inactivity in leadership kills alliances.
[/quote]

Agreed, I've found it nearly impossible myself to work for an alliance that has lazy leadership at the top.

Another thing about RV's point is that in Archon's absence, there is a Prince that the membership trusts as much as Archon to crack the whip when needed. If a foot needs to be put down, SirWilliam can do it.

While there are a few purely good and bad leaders in CN, most leadership falls somewhere in between because an overall good leader can make bad decisions and vice versa.

With that random addendum aside, I think bad leaders:

*Think they're nonexpendable (e.g. "This alliance NEEDS me to work!")
*Have a hard time differentiating themselves from their alliance. (e.g. "What's great for me is great for my alliance!")
*Engage in nepotism (e.g. "Clearly my friend/lackey/groupie is best suited for this job, even if they're woefully unqualified!")
*Are inactive (e.g. "I'm going to take a 6 week vacation without Internet, but clearly I can still run this alliance!")
*Don't have any political sense (e.g. "I'm going to treaty every alliance which opens an embassy on my forums!")
*Don't have any common sense (e.g. "Clearly I can tech raid a 30 man alliance protected by a major power with my 5 man microalliance and get away with it. CLEARLY!")

I think, using that criteria, the only outright bad leader I can think of is Prodigal Chieftain....

[quote name='AirMe' date='03 June 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1275583489' post='2322204']
Another thing about RV's point is that in Archon's absence, there is a Prince that the membership trusts as much as Archon to crack the whip when needed. If a foot needs to be put down, SirWilliam can do it.
[/quote]
As can rafa.

[quote name='Hymenbreach' date='03 June 2010 - 02:43 AM' timestamp='1275547379' post='2321858']
Not swallowing your pride and tottering from one disaster to another, convinced of your god-given elected right to do stuff and act badly. So, pretty much the Legion up until Post-Viceroy (plus the odd blip - cookies for the first person to mention the Universalis incident - afterwards).
[/quote]

So the Legion became better leaders when they let other alliances do the leading for them? :v:

[quote name='Voytek' date='03 June 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1275571145' post='2322030']
I would say hubris and the whole dogma/conceit/personality cult deal that some alliances have managed to cultivate. It's just not good for anyone.
[/quote]

It's totally obvious what you're fishing for. So yes, i'll agree, Archon and Moldavi are the [i]worst[/i] alliance leaders ever?

Right?

[size="1"]... Right???[/size]

[quote name='KainIIIC' date='03 June 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1275600602' post='2322485']
It's totally obvious what you're fishing for. So yes, i'll agree, Archon and Moldavi are the [i]worst[/i] alliance leaders ever?

Right?

[/quote]

Nope Hoo, his own alliance has been planning to coupe him for years. :wub:

[quote name='AirMe' date='03 June 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1275580573' post='2322165']
He has to join GOONS first.

[/quote]

We're waiting. :smug:

On topic, I must say that any alliance that shoots for numbers rather than quality is exhibiting a lack in judgment that reflects poor leadership. Alliances should consist of members that have a common goal and/or value system.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='03 June 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1275600755' post='2322488']
Nope Hoo, his own alliance has been planning to coupe him for years. :wub:
[/quote]
And we have plans to coup him for several years to come. We take couping Hoo very seriously.

[quote name='theArrowheadian' date='03 June 2010 - 06:52 AM' timestamp='1275544305' post='2321820']
Well all you have to do is look at GGA. I mean lets be honest with ourselves. Just a series of bad move after bad move. Even if they did have a solid leadership base that restimulated that alliance, all the bad press would prevent its success
[/quote]
Wow, everyone made it 10 posts. I'm guessing you all keep coming back because of all the Sex Panther I wear.

[quote name='Tautology' date='03 June 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1275604613' post='2322576']
And we have plans to coup him for several years to come. We take couping Hoo very seriously.
[/quote]

Another mistake for leadership: being 2IC for a prominent alliance with a mere 285 OWF posts >_>

Edited by lazaraus45

[quote name='lazaraus45' date='03 June 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1275605166' post='2322594']
Another mistake for leadership: being 2IC for a prominent alliance with a mere 285 OWF posts >_>
[/quote]

Because post count is a good indicator of leadership ability, right?

[quote name='Wadsworth' date='03 June 2010 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1275606133' post='2322624']
Because post count is a good indicator of leadership ability, right?
[/quote]
It is, literally, a direct correlation. I only post so that one day I will be qualified to lead GOONS.

[quote name='KainIIIC' date='03 June 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1275600602' post='2322485']

Right?

[/quote]

I was actually thinking Gramlins at this point in history.

[quote name='Byron Orpheus' date='03 June 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1275604853' post='2322583']
Wow, everyone made it 10 posts. I'm guessing you all keep coming back because of all the Sex Panther I wear.
[/quote]

Examples of what not to do are just as instructive as examples of what is a good idea. Often more so since holding up an example of what the worst that could happen is tends to motivate people more.