Diplomatic Mission

Shatner

This would be the Republic of Labrador's first mission of diplomacy abroad since its foundation. Governor-General James Wellington, along with a couple of aides, boarded a small charter jet that would take them to the Atlantic States. The decision was sound. Atlantis was a strong regional player and had expressed an openness to cooperate diplomatically. This would be as much about doing business as gathering information for Governor-General Wellington, to assess the regional situation from the eyes of another as well as begin maneuvering Labrador into a stable position within that continuum. It wouldn't be long before the jet touched down at the ordained meeting place, and Wellington as well as his two aides stepped off the small jet.

President Ty Eyvindsson waited on the tarmac as the doors to the small jet opened. It was an overcast day with a rather chilly breeze and his Foreign Affairs Minister had assured Ty he could handle the delegation, but Eyvindsson had wanted to meet his new neighbors personally. Disparu and Atlantis and long maintained a strong relationship and Ty wanted to ensure such a relationship continued with Labrador. Considering Newfoundland and Labrador's split in the Canadian war of years past, he really didn't know what to expect from the newly formed nation, but nonetheless he planned to provide them with the opportunity to form a prosperous friendship.

As his counterpart walked to greet Eyvindsson, the small honor guard quickly snapped to attention, the Atlantis and Labrador flags waving in the wind. President Eyvindsson firmly shook the man's hand and confidently greeted him.[i] "Welcome to Atlantis, Governor-General Wellington. Let me be the first to personally welcome you and your nation to the world stage. As both our nations share a similar past I'm sure we already have much in common, and I have high hopes that we can begin a new, better relationship between us."[/i]

[i]"Yes, President Eyvindsson, I'm sure we will get along just fine," Wellington replied warmly, "I'm sure you have some questions and I have some as well. I'm eager for the proceedings to get under way."[/i]

[i]"Of course,"[/i] Eyvindsson replied as he ushered the foreigners towards the open door of the limousine parked beside them. The small envoy made their way from the international airport to the government sector of the capital, Grand Falls. As they drove through the streets construction could be seen all around them. Before the formation of Atlantis, this town had maybe 10,000 people. Once picked as the site of the capital the number had skyrocketed to over 55,000, and work was frantically being done to accommodate the increase in population. It was an uneventful ride but after little more than fifteen minutes the limousines finally approached the cul-de-sac in front of the Presidential Mansion.

The delegation of officials were led and brought to one of the president's personal offices, small enough to feel personal yet large enough to be comfortable. The Labrador men were allowed to sit at one end of the table, complete with glasses of water and portfolios with basic information about Atlantis, before Eyvindsson and his aide seated themselves as well.

After everyone was settled and ready, Eyvindsson cleared his throat, [i]"Well friend, what would you like to start out discussing?"[/i]

[i]"Well, as a new nation, we occupy a difficult diplomatic position. Militarily, we would be unable to repel any sort of threat that comes our way, making us vulnerable. Therefore, signing a military pact with anyone would simply be one sided. That is of course, we proposed other articles to make it worth while for the stronger nation. So perhaps what we are looking for is a protectorate agreement. We get protection until we are completely on our feet and perhaps you would have some idea on how we could benefit you."[/i]

[i]"Due to the historical ties between us, we would be more than willing to protect you during the early stages of your development. As for some sort of reciprocal agreement, Labrador contains vast amounts of minerals including iron, nickel, gold, and others, as I'm sure you're aware. Perhaps Atlantis mining companies could be given preferential contracts? With our technology I'm sure we could mine more efficiently than you can at your current state, improving both our economies. Regardless, we would be willing to ensure your safety. Well, that's assuming your government doesn't plan on violating human rights or the like, I assume Labrador won't be turning into a dictatorship anytime soon?

And while we are on the topic of military protection, has Labrador considered the possibility about joining the Confederation of Arctic Nations? It's a bloc designed for Arctic defense and prosperity that we are part of, and I'm sure it could benefit Labrador and improve your relations with everyone around you."[/i]

[quote name='Californian' date='03 June 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1275602751' post='2322541']
[i]"Due to the historical ties between us, we would be more than willing to protect you during the early stages of your development. As for some sort of reciprocal agreement, Labrador contains vast amounts of minerals including iron, nickel, gold, and others, as I'm sure you're aware. Perhaps Atlantis mining companies could be given preferential contracts? With our technology I'm sure we could mine more efficiently than you can at your current state, improving both our economies. Regardless, we would be willing to ensure your safety. Well, that's assuming your government doesn't plan on violating human rights or the like, I assume Labrador won't be turning into a dictatorship anytime soon?

And while we are on the topic of military protection, has Labrador considered the possibility about joining the Confederation of Arctic Nations? It's a bloc designed for Arctic defense and prosperity that we are part of, and I'm sure it could benefit Labrador and improve your relations with everyone around you."[/i]
[/quote]

[i]"Mining rights are perfectly acceptable. As for CAN, we will need more information. I'm not really one to look before I leap, hence this meeting. What can you tell us about the member nations, the risks the benefits?[/i]

[i]"The Confederation of Arctic Nation is a defensive bloc for northern nations with goals of ensuring the safety and prosperity of its neighbors. Our predecessor, the Northern Republic, helped establish the organization and we believe it still has noble intentions of securing the well-being of member nations.

Of the current seven members, we are the strongest, and also currently in charge of the CANJSF, a small peacekeeper/defensive force with troops contributed from each nation. I'd say we maintain good to excellent relations with all members of the CAN and I believe that the majority of the member nations are extremely dependable. Some such as the GLP and Imperium of Canada are more war-prone it would seem however there have been no major concerns as of yet.

The benefits of the CAN are numerous, I think mainly it promotes good relations with your neighbors. The Eggman Empire, Disparu, and Atlantis surround your nation and we are all part of the CAN, it makes for an easy way to become acquainted with others. We also encourage trade between our nations and of course we ensure the safety of each other.

I can't really see any drawbacks to joining the CAN. It's a large bureaucracy and does tend to do things rather slowly, but I'd say all in all it's a worthwhile organization. And if your nation has any concerns with the MDP portion of the organization, you could always join as an observer, which is all the economic and diplomatic benefits and only a NAP agreement."[/i]

"That sounds very fine, Mr. President. And the fact that things are done slowly is actually reassuring for me. As soon as I get back I will put forward a motion to apply.

Well I suppose that will conclude negotiations as far as military protection. Now, we would like to discuss some way to better integrate our nations. Of course if we are accepted into the Confederation of Arctic Nations we would be economically linked in that way, but we were aiming to secure rights to sail through your waters just south of newfounland in the winter, in safer lanes.

"Of course, that's completely understandable and I believe we could accommodate you. Our Coat Guard and Department of Transportation would need to be notified but there should be no issue with your ships using our shipping lanes. Also in terms of integration, I believe the Suicine Bridge built by New England and Disparu already links our two nations, connecting Labrador with Newfoundland. Not only will that help increase trade between our nations, but we could also mutually lower tariffs to encourage trade as well."