Kùutsmil News and Developments

Sargun II

[center][img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sargun_Peaceheart/CNRP/cozumelsmall.png[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sargun_Peaceheart/CNRP/infobox.png[/img]

[b]Current Government[/b]

President: Felipe Calderón
Secretary of the Interior: Fernando Gomez-Mont
Secretary of Foreign Affairs: Arturo Chavez
Secretary of National Defense: Guillermo Galvan Galvan
Secretary of the Navy: Leon Vance
Attorney General: Juan Valdez[/center]

[b]Government Elected - Calderon retains Presidency, Mendoza upset[/b]

Last night the first government vote was held for the island nation, with a strange set of circumstances. Transition President Felipe Calderon, despite being viewed as something as a man soft on crime and slow to move on major projects, retained his transition seat by a large margin. His opponent, Secretary of the Interior Fernando Gomez-Mont, was widely considered a better man than Calderon for the job but also considered best at his current position and retained his seat as Interior Secretary. In news that was no surprise to anybody, Patricia Espinosa was voted out of her Foreign Affairs office and replaced by Arturo Chavez. Chavez voluntarily gave up his already-guaranteed seat as the Attorney General to run for Secretary of Foreign Affairs, and he has gained major popularity for his charisma and wheeling confessions out of even hardened criminals. National Defense Secretary Guillermo Galvan Galvan kept his seat with no challengers, but Mariano Francisco Saynez Mendoza lost her seat as SecNAV. In her place is now is [url=http://wwwimage.cbs.com/cms/files/images/primetime/ncis/bio/rocky_carroll_240x300.jpg]Leon Vance[/url], a nationalised citizeen. New Attorney General is Juan Valdez.

[center][img]http://homepage.mac.com/hellbind/.Public/Felipe%20Calderon.jpg[/img][/center]

President Felipe Calderon, speaking with SecNAV Leon Vance, unveiled today an ambitious new plan focused on alleviating the economic strain on the island of Cozumel. His plan? To build another island, slightly smaller but with rows and rows of greenhouses for food and fish farms off the coast. The new island, called Isla Nublar after the "Cloud Island" of Jurassic Park, will not only help close to two thousand people on the island find permanent jobs, but also preserve millions of dollars of import money that would ordinarily have been spent buying food and paying for the transportation. The island will be sufficiently far away from Cozumel to preserve the reefs.

OOC: I'm going to buy an ADP wonder next. I won't RP % of building because it's a wonder.

"Clever... they're building new land... pity we're not able to build a bridge over the HAE to get to a port on the Gulf of Mexico... tell you what, though, let's see if they'd like to create an agricultural development consortium or something like that. Better relations and the like, but we'd also stand a chance of learning how they do hydroponics in salt water, should they get that off the ground. Hypersaline hydroponic technology could revolutionize our agricultural profile, to say the least."

The House of Representatives in Himynamistan recently passed a bill to enable Chief Speaker Zzzptm to negotiate an agricultural development treaty with Kùutsmil. Zzzptm has extended a formal invitation to Kùutsmil head of state Felipe Calderón to come to Himynamistan to discuss matters of mutual interest.

[b]Refugees welcome[/b]

President Calderon today announced today that barring a vote banning the controversial Dragon Cult all members of the Cult who have been forced out of their homeland and are now considered refugees may take refuge on the island. The Secretary of the Interior issued a notice that while the Cult has all but died down in activities, there are still nations cleansing these people out of the border and they will need a place to live while they reorganize their lives. Two cruise boats, left damaged by massive storms two weeks ago, have been refitted to house any refugees that may need to stay on the island while they find friends or family to relocate.

[b]Vance to unveil navy later today[/b]

SecNAV Leon Vance will unveil the [i]Mayan Navy[/i] today, ships based off of technology sold on the open market as a variant by [i]Artemis Global[/i]. The Mayan Navy will enforce a large area of water around the island of Cozumel, and after the Navy is unveiled President Calderon has stated he will mark the Mayan territorial waters and EEZ. "We will not sit idly by and let our nation be surrounded by the nation of the Holy American Empire. We will show the world that despite our size we will not be trifled with."

[b]The Vote of a Nation[/b]

Voters will come to the polls later today to decide the future the country holds. On the existing ballot for today is whether or not to allocate funds for a massive air defense network to prepare for aggression from the Holy American Empire. Related to the fear is a want of a clear network of transport on the island below the ground and a base to house military troops. In addition, many Mayans who left the island before the nation of Kuutsmil was founded have returned, and with very valuable degrees in sciences in math are demanding that they be put to use in a national research laboratory. Connected to this laboratory are the concepts of nuclear weapons and putting men on the moon. Also on the ballot are the popular provisions of a social security system and an organised stock market.

[b]War Memorial erected[/b]

"In memoriam of the Maya lost in the past to the European aggressors, this memorial stands. In memoriam of the millions of our brethren killed in the Sourth American Scourge, this memorial stands. In memoriam of the men and women who died resisting their overlords in lands elsewhere, this memorial stands."

[b]Census![/b]

A new census will be performed on the island, to count the current number of citizens and soldiers, among other things. All important buildings will be counted as well as military equipment and estimated environmental rating.

"We welcome the new island nation of Kùutsmil and wish it well as it enters the world stage. We would be honored to perhaps hold a meeting to better know one each other, if you found such an idea agreeable. I'm sure we have much in common and we actively seek to promote prosperous relations with other American Nations."

Atlantis Ministry of Foreign Affairs

[quote name='zzzptm' date='31 May 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1275326921' post='2317906']
The House of Representatives in Himynamistan recently passed a bill to enable Chief Speaker Zzzptm to negotiate an agricultural development treaty with Kùutsmil. Zzzptm has extended a formal invitation to Kùutsmil head of state Felipe Calderón to come to Himynamistan to discuss matters of mutual interest.
[/quote]
President Calderon has accepted the invitation and will be ready to fly to Himynamistan at a moment's notice.

[quote name='Californian' date='01 June 2010 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1275371000' post='2318804']
"We welcome the new island nation of Kùutsmil and wish it well as it enters the world stage. We would be honored to perhaps hold a meeting to better know one each other, if you found such an idea agreeable. I'm sure we have much in common and we actively seek to promote prosperous relations with other American Nations."

Atlantis Ministry of Foreign Affairs
[/quote]
"The Secretary of Foreign affairs has stated that at the moment the head office is unavailable for a meeting, but the Vice-Secretary is available for a meeting."

[b]Radical Overhauls Approved - Contractors Needed[/b]

The votes are in with an overwhelming success. Voters have said yes to all of these proposals:

[i]Anti-Air Defence Network[/i] - Cozumel is small enough that any mass number of missiles launched against her will be close together. With this in mind, voters have said yes to a proposal that will track and destroy incoming missiles and possibly planes. [i]Artemis Global[/i] is currently the frontrunner for this project, fresh off the success of a Carthaginian experiment that died when a pretender took the throne. Most of the defence systems will be pointed to the south and west.
[i]Interstate System[/i] - Cozumel is small enough that transportation is rather easy, but the island has a network of confusing roads her air and sea travel system is lacking in coordination. The country's transportation system will be entirely rebuilt with an incredibly efficiency increase. Contractors are needed.
[i]Foreign Air Force Base[/i] - The Maya Air Force is in need of more space and, for purposes of doctrine, a base off-island. The extremely large air force, courtesy of SecNAV Leon Vance's express need for air superiority in the face of an invasion due to a small ground area, is in need of immediate space. Nations willing to produce a base will be compensated.
[i]National Research Laboratory[/i] - The Maya Science Fund, a group of nationally-celebrated scientists, has been founded. The MSF is in need of a contractor to construct a state-of-the-art scientific research center, especially for hydroponics/aeroponics.
[i]Manhattan Project[/i] - The development of nuclear weapons has been approved by a slim margin.
[i]Space Program[/i] - Maya will be on the moon. Nations or corporations with experience in space travel are needed to help the Maya leave the island of Cozumel and reach the moon.
[i]Social Security System[/i] - A vote approving the establishment of a Social Security program has been approved. The small population and even smaller elderly portion has made the program a relatively low-profile addition.
[i]Stock Market[/i] - A citizen-approved stock market will open sometime this year.

[b]Census![/b]

The census is ongoing.

The Empire is willing to base Kùutsmil aircraft within our land, as well as dissolve tariffs to open up trade which must be dearly needed for your island. Furthermore, should relations warm the Empire would be willing to lend Kùutsmil the use of a few Empire space-shuttles.

"While the overtures are dearly appreciated, Kùutsmil wishes to have a base farther away and the island imports very little in the way of consumer goods other than electronics and heavy machines. Finally, we prefer to construct our own shuttles - or other transportation - with assistance instead of simply borrowing or buying one. You still have our extreme gratitude for the offers, however, and know that under different conditions they would be accepted."

Privately, Calderon wondered if they really were so bad after all.