Facepunch Alliance and the Goon Order of Oppression, Negligence, and Sadism are now apart of a protectorate treaty

[quote name='Jrenster' date='29 May 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1275149128' post='2315597']
Not necessarily. It's just that not many alliances like GOONS other than their allies.
[/quote]

Oh, I disagree with that. ^_^ There's just so many NSO noisemakers swarming to our threads that you're probably losing track of how many alliances are actually spewing their negative opinions of us. Yes, there's a couple here and there that have developed the negativity you have, but there's plenty more that consider us an asset to the community. You folks are welcome to continue attempting to cry foul over every little thing we do, however...it's expected.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='29 May 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1275150662' post='2315610']
EDIT: Neglected to congratulate you on your [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_Canada"]remarkably original[/url] flag.
[/quote]
You're really going to call someone out on an unoriginal flag?

[quote name='kevin32891' date='29 May 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1275144318' post='2315549']
I'd like to see here where NSO threatened GOONS with war.
[/quote]

Nowhere, you may wish to read the posts that I was responding to.

You could've done better FP. You coulda done worse as well though.

Meh, you may eventually grow into an alliance worth talking about for more than just being a mildly successful invasion. It's going to take a long time with GOONs as a protector though. As has been said they really don't have the aid slots available to help you grow to your full potential. I guess that wasn't a priority when choosing your protector. Oh well I guess.

Good luck.

[quote name='magicninja' date='29 May 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1275191287' post='2316144']
It's going to take a long time with GOONs as a protector though. As has been said they really don't have the aid slots available to help you grow to your full potential. I guess that wasn't a priority when choosing your protector. Oh well I guess.
[/quote]
OOORR Just maybe, they chose to ally with an alliance who has gone through some of the same issues they are currently dealing with that has survived and flourished while creating strong economic ties with many other strong alliances.

[quote name='magicninja' date='29 May 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1275191287' post='2316144']

Meh, you may eventually grow into an alliance worth talking about for more than just being a mildly successful invasion. It's going to take a long time with GOONs as a protector though. As has been said they really don't have the aid slots available to help you grow to your full potential. I guess that wasn't a priority when choosing your protector. Oh well I guess.

Good luck.
[/quote]

You know, because GOONS doesn't have allies that are capable of doing such a thing. Oh wait.

It's funny how people keep parading this line around when really it's little more than a very thinly veiled shot at GOONS. Don't you people have something better to do than complain about how GOONS is now doing x evil thing or what not?

[quote name='magicninja' date='29 May 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1275191287' post='2316144']

Good luck.
[/quote]

Who has the slots to help hundreds of nations grow to their full potential? I've never heard of a protector giving boosts that made a difference for their protected alliance(especially in this case where it's hundreds of nations) in the long run. Sure aid falls may occur, but not enough for explosive growth on their own.

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' date='30 May 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1275195916' post='2316284']
Who has the slots to help hundreds of nations grow to their full potential? I've never heard of a protector giving boosts that made a difference for their protected alliance(especially in this case where it's hundreds of nations) in the long run. Sure aid falls may occur, but not enough for explosive growth on their own.
[/quote]

Actually, I believe Trident had a revolving protectorate with the Guru Order, and involved quite a large series of tech deals. Not sure if it's comparable in size to this, but shows how it could be done right. So I'm sure GOONS has a very sweet bargaining chip: letting their friends and prospects in on the sweet tech deal fun.

Edited by Atanatar

[quote name='Atanatar' date='30 May 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1275203810' post='2316428']
Actually, I believe Trident had a revolving protectorate with the Guru Order, and involved quite a large series of tech deals. Not sure if it's comparable in size to this, but shows how it could be done right. So I'm sure GOONS has a very sweet bargaining chip: letting their friends and prospects in on the sweet tech deal fun.
[/quote]

Of course, but you can get that kind of aid regardless of who your protector is. I'm talking about large sums of free aid.

Edited by Antoine Roquentin

[quote name='Wadsworth' date='30 May 2010 - 05:59 AM' timestamp='1275195554' post='2316280']
You know, because GOONS doesn't have allies that are capable of doing such a thing. Oh wait.

It's funny how people keep parading this line around when really it's little more than a very thinly veiled shot at GOONS. Don't you people have something better to do than complain about how GOONS is now doing x evil thing or what not?
[/quote]

If GOONS's allies are going to be the one's helping FP grow, then why aren't they protecting FP?

[quote name='Omniscient1' date='30 May 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1275204202' post='2316438']
If GOONS's allies are going to be the one's helping FP grow, then why aren't they protecting FP?
[/quote]

You can help someone without directly giving them aid.

Also there is probably an actual relationship between GOONS and FP that developed over the period they've been in contact and that's why I'd think FP would want GOONS as their protector.

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' date='30 May 2010 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1275204041' post='2316436']
Of course, but you can get that kind of aid regardless of who your protector is. I'm talking about large sums of free aid.
[/quote]

Very true. Granted, I would never recommend large aid falls to begin with, it often pushes tech sellers out of range too quick. So it's really a trade off: Aid falls ensures a safety net for new nations to play with, but stunts internal growth; Where as organized tech deals allows for enticement from allies to buy tech, and improves growth in the lower tier and the upper tier. Of course, the perhaps dooming downside is that it is slower growth for sure, and may prove boring for a lot of the new nations.

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to slight GOONs or FP. I understand the whole same situation thing I suppose. I remember the GOONs of old offering FARK all kinds of help when they first started too. OOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :P

Anyway.......... [i]Like I said[/i] the ability to receive aid must not have been a high priority and that's [i]cool with me[/i]. [i]Again[/i] Best of luck.

Maybe the [i]i[/i] will help people to understand I'm not trying to be a dickhead.

[quote name='AirMe' date='28 May 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1275101136' post='2315208']
Who is running the odds on RV joining GOONS in the next 3 months? 2 to 1? 3 to 1?
[/quote]
[color="#FFC0CB"]He would have to pay the monthly fee. Many shy away because of this.[/color]

[quote name='magicninja' date='30 May 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1275205185' post='2316462']
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to slight GOONs or FP. I understand the whole same situation thing I suppose. I remember the GOONs of old offering FARK all kinds of help when they first started too. OOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :P

Anyway.......... [i]Like I said[/i] the ability to receive aid must not have been a high priority and that's [i]cool with me[/i]. [i]Again[/i] Best of luck.

Maybe the [i]i[/i] will help people to understand I'm not trying to be a dickhead.
[/quote]

Yeah, I understand your concerns and assure you that things will work out fine for both GOONS and Facepunch. Your kind words are appreciated.

It seems the main argument here that its experience v financial resources. Admittedly it would be very productive and beneficial to have a protectorate that has the financial resources to send out many aid drops, but there are many other contributions a protector can bring to the partnership that can be just as valuable, if not more valuable. GOONs have a pretty strong relations network, they have good connections, tech buyers list, and GOONs have certain credentials and expertise that a few other alliances dont have. I am not a big fan of GOONs, but I cant deny the fact that this treaty will improve the chances for achieving long-term success for FacePunch, and had I been in their position I would of done the same thing.

FacePunch are obviously new to the game, and for the government it will be difficult to adjust to the 'morals' and 'culture' the community holds. All of the members are pretty new and I am sure several newbs will end up tech raiding protected AA's and getting in that sort of trouble. Goons can offer the advice on how to organise themselves properly in that respect, as they have the skills and experience to manage so many inexperienced players. A protector should have skills that support and compliment your own, and FacePunch got it right on this too.

FP seem to share similar values, spirit, and vision. I think the two alliances will communicate effectively to make decisions, set goals, and drive the alliance forward, and Goons know how to do this as they have done it themselves. Had they picked someone that just wanted them as tech sellers and were reluctant, combative, and unable to consider their viewpoint it will be harder to be successful. I do think GOONs are pretty genuine about this treaty. Also perhaps FP themselves value experience and FRIENDSHIP over financial incentives.

Also I personally never liked the idea of having a huge alliance as a protector... I mean they have their own internal issues to deal with, and I doubt they can commit the time FacePunch would need. Goons however aren't massive, however they aren't small and can offer the obvious protection, plus they offer the time and tremendous energy. Also its nice to see people like Sardonic going onto the FacePunch forums ( not the alliance forum, the actual FP forum they came from ) and interacting with the members. I do think that this was the right decision, and could not see anyone who they would rather pick. Plus clearly this has worked for FP, as they got the spotlight they wanted and are now on the global political stage.

The only thing I can see happening is that 75% of the FP members will get bored and leave... and they will no longer monopolise the tech market like everyone expects. I do hope that the majority of you stick around though, from speaking to a few of you, you are pretty cool. Also it will be interesting how you guys develop... but yeah, rest assured, you made the right decision of a protector in Goons. Peace out.

[quote name='Robster83' date='30 May 2010 - 05:59 AM' timestamp='1275224375' post='2316578']
It seems the main argument here that its experience v financial resources. Admittedly it would be very productive and beneficial to have a protectorate that has the financial resources to send out many aid drops, but there are many other contributions a protector can bring to the partnership that can be just as valuable, if not more valuable. GOONs have a pretty strong relations network, they have good connections, tech buyers list, and GOONs have certain credentials and expertise that a few other alliances dont have. I am not a big fan of GOONs, but I cant deny the fact that this treaty will improve the chances for achieving long-term success for FacePunch, and had I been in their position I would of done the same thing.

FacePunch are obviously new to the game, and for the government it will be difficult to adjust to the 'morals' and 'culture' the community holds. All of the members are pretty new and I am sure several newbs will end up tech raiding protected AA's and getting in that sort of trouble. Goons can offer the advice on how to organise themselves properly in that respect, as they have the skills and experience to manage so many inexperienced players. A protector should have skills that support and compliment your own, and FacePunch got it right on this too.

FP seem to share similar values, spirit, and vision. I think the two alliances will communicate effectively to make decisions, set goals, and drive the alliance forward, and Goons know how to do this as they have done it themselves. Had they picked someone that just wanted them as tech sellers and were reluctant, combative, and unable to consider their viewpoint it will be harder to be successful. I do think GOONs are pretty genuine about this treaty. Also perhaps FP themselves value experience and FRIENDSHIP over financial incentives.

Also I personally never liked the idea of having a huge alliance as a protector... I mean they have their own internal issues to deal with, and I doubt they can commit the time FacePunch would need. Goons however aren't massive, however they aren't small and can offer the obvious protection, plus they offer the time and tremendous energy. Also its nice to see people like Sardonic going onto the FacePunch forums ( not the alliance forum, the actual FP forum they came from ) and interacting with the members. I do think that this was the right decision, and could not see anyone who they would rather pick. Plus clearly this has worked for FP, as they got the spotlight they wanted and are now on the global political stage.

The only thing I can see happening is that 75% of the FP members will get bored and leave... and they will no longer monopolise the tech market like everyone expects. I do hope that the majority of you stick around though, from speaking to a few of you, you are pretty cool. Also it will be interesting how you guys develop... but yeah, rest assured, you made the right decision of a protector in Goons. Peace out.
[/quote]
I can only hope things work out well for everyone. Thank you for the fantastic post

I'm not really understanding the argument that GOONS aren't able to be good protectors because of their nation distribution. Firstly, they have 31 nations at 3999 infra or above, which is enough for a big aid drop if they want to do one – no, it's not upper tier by the standards of 2008-present, but the mechanics of sending aid haven't changed since 4000 infra was a lot. And secondly, a protector doesn't need to arrange aid drops; I'm sure Facepunch can fill as many slots as they need by selling tech. Citadel may have broken up but there are still many alliances with an elite or semi-elite structure (TOP, Argent, Umbrella, FOK, MK, Ninjas, even us here at VE) who are going to be quite happy to fill those aid slots without being directly involved.

As an invasion alliance and only a little way further down the nation development track than Facepunch themselves I'm sure GOONS can offer valuable advice and perspective that a more 'standard' protector like MK or TOOL wouldn't be able to. And if they do get into a war, GOONS can cover their NS range a lot more effectively than most alliances.