Galicia: Now in French Flavor

Razgriz 2K9

[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc205/Scharze/Flags/FlagofFrenchGalicia.png[/IMG]

The charter was made, giving Galician sovreignty to the Third French Empire. In response, the French Government, has given the Galicians autonomy for their courage in defeating the ultra-nationalistic forces led by the late former Prime Minister Anxo Quintana and the now outlawed Galician Nationalist Bloc.

The Empress, Therese Zelle had created the title of "Duke of Galicia" to be given to her half-cousin, Philip Alphonse of the Cadet House of Brunies.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Felipe%2C_Prince_of_Asturias.jpg[/img]

The Duke has yet to settle upon a new Prime Minister, approved by both the people as well as by the Empress, now the new Queen of Galicia.

OOC: tl;dr DoE of French Dominion of Galicia

Edited by Razgriz 2K9

In the course of Empire, the spreading of one's holdings across the lands of the world, land and strength is not maintained through sheer force alone. While it can be obtained through such a way, few empires last beyond single months and years, if the empire is only maintained because of an iron grip of a dictator. At the end of the Galician War, it lasting only a series of days before French forces combined with a surprise alliance with Galician Royalists marched into the capital and seized the country back under control of the Galician King Duarte Pio. Pio was then forced to abdicate his crown to the French Empress, with this abdication and the crowning of Therese as Queen of Galicia, French dominion of northwestern Iberia was finally established and it had only come at the price of four hundred soldiers, ten tanks, and the loss of reputation from a few of the more spoken nations of the world. Therese weighed her thoughts carefully as the official recognition and declaration of French Galicia occurred, there was jubilation in Paris and across France, the Empire had been returned and this was only the beginning. As well, the Galician population seemed as though they accepted French rule with no sign of either tension, nor over exaltation. The question was then, what next?

Naturally first was to secure Galicia for the future, France in essence had just acquired, in all respect, a severely underdeveloped piece of land, but one that had extreme potential to influence the rest of the Iberian Peninsula and perhaps the rest of the world for the French. The borders would need to be properly fortified, the damage done in the capital repaired, while paying close attention to maintaining the local economy and switching it to French standards. The economics would be the only thing that would change however, while this was now a French Satellite State, Therese had no intention of repeating the mistakes of past nations such as the Nordic Reich which had reigned in France years before. She would not transform a people's culture, Galicia was Galicia and the people were Galician, their only difference was that through rite of battle, owed allegiance to her and her Empire.

Immediately, the eighty thousand French soldiers under General Tavernier were withdrawn back to France and only a garrison of two divisions (20,000) under General Emmanuel Labarre remained in the Galician capital to make sure transition occurred peacefully and that if one of the hostile foreign nations decided to make a move, Galicia would be able to be defended. In addition, a battleship, cruiser, and destroyer were stationed in A Coruna harbor out of the First Fleet at Brest, for essentially the same reason, though from a naval perspective.

In Versailles, Therese nodded over the recent events as she walked through the Hall of Mirrors late in the afternoon. Not days ago she had returned from the Galician Capital after being crowned Queen and appointing one of her distant cousins as the new Duke of Galicia. With this is mind however, it was necessary to play both to French and Galician interests and as a Prime Minister still had to be chosen, it needed to be someone from the Galician population, while someone also loyal to the new French regime. In addition to the politics of the Duchy, Phillipe had been immediately ordered to tour about the country to find out exactly what needed to be improved from the infrastructure and what France would be able to place into the Duchy for the improvement of living quality. The rest of the world would look on with the disdain they always showed, it did not matter, the dialogue of the world always interfered and Therese's legion of alliances would help if it came down to having to defend Galicia with her bare fists.

Walking into one of her drawing rooms, she sat down and took out a piece of paper, a letter that was to be sent to Phillipe with all haste.

[quote]

[i]Cousin,

I trust all goes well with your recent settlement as Duke, with the Duchy now set up it is this nation's greatest task to ensure that the people of Galicia are protected and cared for by the good graces of the Imperial Government. Therefore, I do hope you have completed the tour of the country that I have asked you to go on, it is necessary for the people to see you as one, a capable leader of the country, and two a man that will not spend all his time in the palaces of Galicia. Remember Phillipe, Galicia has autonomy, do not rely on France for everything, Galicia should stretch its own muscles, strength aided by myself and France. By working together, both France and Galicia can achieve a prosperity unrivaled in the world.

I need to know in detail then, what within Galicia needs improved so that I can send the appropriate amount of laborers, engineers, and strategists. Making sure that the Galician people are responsible for their own destiny is another thing that must be proclaimed, schools, universities, theaters, and other foundations of the arts and education should be our most important task, to make sure that the people stay in tune with their native culture. I will also be dispatching a military advisor down to train the army, build defenses, and develop a strategy for Galicia's military role in the Empire.

In addition to that, as to the approval of a Prime Minister, I would like to suggest an elderly man by the name of Manuel Fraga, he has served in the Galician parliament before and by all means appears supportive or at least neutral to the French regime within Galicia. As a man of the people, I believe he would serve you quite well in bringing the population and the government closer together. Let me know when you have chosen, so I may grant my seal of approval.

Remember, you are the first servant of the people. Heed their wishes always.

With much love,

Therese[/i]
[/quote]

[quote]

Dearest Cousin,

I have indeed made myself known with many of the Galician people. From the politicians to the people themselves, I feel that it was best that the Galicians are under French guidance.

However, with many important buildings destroyed, it is imperative that we have a working, industrious people so their economy can be built back up. To do this, we suggest creating factories for textile making and automobile construction. Perhaps French car manufacturers may want to buy such factories for their use, and in turn boost the Galician economy.

Another factor of building up Galicia's economy is in trade. A Coruna's port facility is the only major harbor in the country, and even then, it's small size will stunt economic growth to the region. As such, it is imperative that the Harbor facilities be expanded so that trade can be expanded in the region. Hopefully, relations with other countries will improve as well so that more nations will contribute to improving trade with the Dominion of Galicia.

Finally, many of Galicia's hospitals and clinics were severely damaged in the Galician conflict. It is imperative that these should be repaired so that the longevity of the Galician people is secured.

Once these are done, we will see what we can do to ensure that the culture of Galicia can be preserved, with some minor influences from French culture. Hopefully in doing so, Galicia will strive to become a powerful state in the French Empire.

Well, I believe I've rambled enough in this letter, so I bid you farewell. I've scheduled a meeting with Mister Fraga tomorrow, and I am looking forward to meeting with him.

Au revoir, and farewell.

Sincerely,

Philip Alphonse

[/quote]

Edited by Razgriz 2K9

[b]President Moshum[/b]

[i]"It's good to see stability and order once more restored in Galicia, we hereby recognize this new Puppet State; sometime it is vital for a state to have a big-brother to guide and protect it."[/i]

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='25 May 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1274842077' post='2311970']
"If the people aren't rising up in protest,and they aren't being oppressed, who are we to naysay this turn of events? May both France and Galicia prosper in the years ahead."
[/quote]
"If the French soldiers have to shoot people down and get shot, who are we to say that those Galicians who fought didn't want to live under French rule? May Galicia soon see itself as a sovereign, independent nation once again."

[quote name='KingChris' date='25 May 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1274846535' post='2312084']
"If the French soldiers have to shoot people down and get shot, who are we to say that those Galicians who fought didn't want to live under French rule? May Galicia soon see itself as a sovereign, independent nation once again."
[/quote]
"Those that fought, our intelligence sources say, were actually in a minority compared to those who [i]supported[/i] the French. Use that how you will to answer your own question."

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='25 May 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1274848988' post='2312123']
"Those that fought, our intelligence sources say, were actually in a minority compared to those who [i]supported[/i] the French. Use that how you will to answer your own question."
[/quote]

"So it is acceptabble to occupy and annex a sovereign nation if you just kill the people that want to remain independent?"

[quote name='Vedran' date='25 May 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1274851316' post='2312144']
"So it is acceptabble to occupy and annex a sovereign nation if you just kill the people that want to remain independent?"
[/quote]
"These people were disobeying a direct order from their sovereign, the now retired Galician King. That, in essence, makes them rebels, not freedom fighters."

OOC: Okay, I apologize but real life issues were being....well, you know.

IC: The next day, Duke Felepe Alfonso (as the Galicians took to calling him) d'Galice traveled to a business building, which served as the temporary Presidential Building (the actual building was still being repaired). Upon reaching the top floor, he saw Manuel Fraga, talking with the Internal Securities Minister, Sabela Gallego.

"Bonjour, Senor Fraga, or should I say Hola?" The Duke said.

"It is an honor to meet you, Your Royal Highness." The Prime Minister spoke.

"Don't worry about the pleasentries. I just want to ensure that the people of Galicia are treated with the same respect as the French people back home."

"Oh, I forgot to introduce my friend, this is Mrs. Sabela Gallego, the Minister of Internal Security in Galicia."

"A Pleasure to meet you, sir." Gallego spoke.

"Pleasure's all mine. Now, let's get down to business. After the conflict with Quintana's pro-Independence forces, many of the factories were damaged and Galicia's Industrial Capacity has stagnated." The Duke spoke aloud.

"So I've heard, right now we are repairing our factories. However, with many corporations moving away from Galicia, those factories will remain vacant and many people out of the job." Fraga said with worry.

"Then let that be our top priority. I've already sent out a letter to Empress Therese, and I am planning several trips to ensure that we get some corporations to help us in this situation."

[b]Announcement from the Sicilian Directorate for Foreign Affairs[/b]

It has long been the position of Sicily that it does not matter the nationality or ethnicity of the man or woman in charge of a state, only their competence. As the King of Galicia abdicated his throne in the face of an uncontrollable civil war, we see no issue at this time with a new leader being installed. So long as the people of Galicia are respected and treated fairly, we see no reason to protest the new state of affairs in the Dukedom of Galicia.

-Hossein Al-Hussein
Sicilian Director of Foreign Affairs