An Expidition to The Slavic Union

"General, we are now exiting German Airspace, how goes the operation in Ventspils?"
"Excellent, Civilians aren't putting up a fight to the forces, most just want some water ad help with some petty crime. We've called in the MPs, they should be here by 0900."
"Great. So far, operations are going well here sir. Most urban infrastructure is undamaged, good thing we got here when we did, before any large-scale riots could start. Still no word from the government?"
"Not a peep. Still, you are not cleared to bare arms, or engage any targets, understood?"
"Yessir. Coming in to land at Minsk International Airport. Cleared to land?"
"Yes Sergent, you are cleared to land. All helicopters are clear to land."

One by one, the helicopters began to slowly lower from the sky, to land on the deserted Tarmac. As they touched down, the soldiers with filed out, rushing, exactly as they had been trained, before going into a light jog away from their transport. There was no hurry, in all likelihood, there would be no attack, no insurgency. Word spread quickly that the same operations continued in Mogilev and Kiev, exactly as planned. /the soldiers spread out, and began setting up a base of Operations in the Airport. There was no doubt that the occupation would be a short operation.
[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg/300px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Unionsgj%C3%B8s.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg/300px-Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg.png[/img]
[b][size="4"]Official Announcement From The United Kingdoms of Norway and Sweden[/size][/b]
Following the total termination of communications from The Slavic Union, formerly Belarus, Soldiers from the 1st Air Cavalry Division have been sent on an expedition to investigate. At this time, initial appearances seem to be accurate, and, regrettably, the Slavic government seems to have fallen. At this time, we see fit to declare the Slavic Union a protectorate of PEPTO. Furthermore, Khislav, a close neighbor and ally to the fallen Slavic Union seems to have fallen with it's parent nation, and will also become part of the wider protectorate.
That is all.[/center]

OOC: Nikonov is 25 days inactive.

EDIT: The title should be "An Expedition to the Slavic Union"

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

[center][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Bayern/GDR/East_Germany_Flag.png[/img]

"Being a member state of PEPTO, the GDR will assist with the 4th Police Division to help establishing the protectorate and keeping its inhabitants in a lawful and non-anarchic environment."[/center]

"France congratulates PEPTO on their swift end to anarchy in the Slavic Union and in addition to this movement, if possible, we would like to know the proper channels to enter into a noble organization such as this. We believe many of our allies, Scotland, North Germany, and South Germany are already apart of PEPTO and we would like to join our comrades as well."
-Therese Zelle

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='08 May 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1273336450' post='2291403']
"France congratulates PEPTO on their swift end to anarchy in the Slavic Union and in addition to this movement, if possible, we would like to know the proper channels to enter into a noble organization such as this. We believe many of our allies, Scotland, North Germany, and South Germany are already apart of PEPTO and we would like to join our comrades as well."
-Therese Zelle
[/quote]
"It would be our honor to bring up a vote for your admittance into PEPTO."

"The Slavic Federation does not recognize PEPTO's authority over the region, per the Caucasian-Crimean Act that passed on to the Federation. Additionally, the Slavic Federation holds cultural ties with the Slavic Union, something every member nation of PEPTO lacks. We request that the PEPTO forces withdraw and hand over the Slavic Union, and by extension Khislav, to the Federation."

-His Imperial Highness James II, Emperor of the Slavic Federation, King of Caucasia, Chief Priest, Imperator of the Slavic Armed Forces, Imperium Maius, First Man of the Senate, and Imperial Censor of the State

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='09 May 2010 - 04:51 AM' timestamp='1273373476' post='2292006']
"The Slavic Federation does not recognize PEPTO's authority over the region, per the Caucasian-Crimean Act that passed on to the Federation. Additionally, the Slavic Federation holds cultural ties with the Slavic Union, something every member nation of PEPTO lacks. We request that the PEPTO forces withdraw and hand over the Slavic Union, and by extension Khislav, to the Federation."

-His Imperial Highness James II, Emperor of the Slavic Federation, King of Caucasia, Chief Priest, Imperator of the Slavic Armed Forces, Imperium Maius, First Man of the Senate, and Imperial Censor of the State
[/quote]
"We've had a long-standing defense pact with the Slavic Union. It's our duty and obligation to protect its citizens from needless anarchy. We will not withdraw out police forces."

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='08 May 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1273373476' post='2292006']

-Some Dude
[/quote]
"So, you are claiming to hold close ties to a nation you tried to declare war on in the past, on the grounds of a unilaterally passed act that is void in the area in question as per [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=67538&view=findpost&p=2183004]a treaty that you yourself signed.[/url] Unlike the Slavic Federation, PEPTO has held close ties with the Slavic Union, as well as being supportive of their citizens. Unless you are getting senile in your... young age, this seems like a rather blatant attempt to steal a piece of land that you have been gluttonously eying ever since you staged your failed invasion of Kyivan Rus'. We will not allow the Slavic Federation to invade one of our allies solely on the grounds of slight cultural ties and imperialistic lust for the conquest of new lands."

[quote name='Il Terra Di Agea' date='08 May 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1273375082' post='2292040']
"So, you are claiming to hold close ties to a nation you tried to declare war on in the past, on the grounds of a unilaterally passed act that is void in the area in question as per [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=67538&view=findpost&p=2183004"]a treaty that you yourself signed.[/url] Unlike the Slavic Federation, PEPTO has held close ties with the Slavic Union, as well as being supportive of their citizens. Unless you are getting senile in your... young age, this seems like a rather blatant attempt to steal a piece of land that you have been gluttonously eying ever since you staged your failed invasion of Kyivan Rus'. We will not allow the Slavic Federation to invade one of our allies solely on the grounds of slight cultural ties and imperialistic lust for the conquest of new lands."
[/quote]

"The Slavs should be protected by Slavs. Who are you to say the citizens of the [i]Slavic [/i]Union would want non-Slav's to protect them, people who do not have a mutual history and culture with them? Just because you were on good terms with their government does not mean the citizens of their nation even supported the treaties, your governments or even PEPTO."

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1273375426' post='2292052']
"The Slavs should be protected by Slavs. Who are you to say the citizens of the [i]Slavic [/i]Union would want non-Slav's to protect them, people who do not have a mutual history and culture with them? Just because you were on good terms with their government does not mean the citizens of their nation even supported the treaties, your governments or even PEPTO."
[/quote]
"So you're saying that you, a nation in the middle east, know better than the allies of a democratically elected government in Europe? We were good friends with the government of the Slavic Union's people, and since we have yet to face resistance, it appears they like us. Meanwhile, the Slavic Federation has been aggressive and imperialistic towards the Union since day one, and has named invalid treaties, so even if viewed from nothing but a legal standpoint, PEPTO, not the Slavic Federation, has the right of way here."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='08 May 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1273375639' post='2292060']
"So you're saying that you, a nation in the middle east, know better than the allies of a democratically elected government in Europe? We were good friends with the government of the Slavic Union's people, and since we have yet to face resistance, it appears they like us. Meanwhile, the Slavic Federation has been aggressive and imperialistic towards the Union since day one, and has named invalid treaties, so even if viewed from nothing but a legal standpoint, PEPTO, not the Slavic Federation, has the right of way here."
[/quote]

"A nation in anarchy can hardly put up any resistance."

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1273375687' post='2292064']
"A nation in anarchy can hardly put up any resistance."
[/quote]
"So you're saying that without their government their people suddenly have no will, no voice? We listen to our populaces and the populaces of those under our protection. If they wanted to join the Federation why did their democratically elected government oppose such a move for so long? Why did their government, which again, was elected by their people, choose to join PEPTO? Handing the territory over to the Slavic Federation would be an irresponsible, undemocratic movement that would undermine the very principles of the Slavic people of the Slavic Union."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='08 May 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1273375955' post='2292073']
"So you're saying that without their government their people suddenly have no will, no voice? We listen to our populaces and the populaces of those under our protection. If they wanted to join the Federation why did their democratically elected government oppose such a move for so long? Why did their government, which again, was elected by their people, choose to join PEPTO? Handing the territory over to the Slavic Federation would be an irresponsible, undemocratic movement that would undermine the very principles of the Slavic people of the Slavic Union."
[/quote]

OOC: There's no one able to actually RP resistance.

IC: "Governments do many unpopular things, even if they are elected. How can you be sure the people actually want PEPTO or the Slavic Federation without a democratic election?"

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1273376168' post='2292080']
OOC: There's no one able to actually RP resistance.

IC: "Governments do many unpopular things, even if they are elected. How can you be sure the people actually want PEPTO or the Slavic Federation without a democratic election?"
[/quote]
OOC: And I know how Nickonov felt about these things, so i'm RPing accurately to what his people thought, it's called RP consistency. That and since we own the protectorate, they are our RP civilians.

IC:
"So your solution to a democratic election you disagree with is...a democratic election? Our first priority is to get these people taken care of with their basic survival needs, then comes higher up functions like restoring a government of the people when it comes along."

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1273375426' post='2292052']
[/quote]
"Not once did I say that they would be against Slavic rules, but I can assure you that they, anyone, would be against coming under the rule of a constantly belligerent nation that has tried to infringe on their sovereignty and invade them on any occasion. We, on behalf of PEPTO, have no intention of sticking around in the Union. We have one simple goal, re-stabilizing the collapsed nation to the point that free elections can be held to create a new, home grown government, rather than allowing imperialistic regime to rob them of their right to a Democratically elected government. Added to all of that, you make the mistake that any Non-European nation could easily make looking at this situation; The Slavic Union, Historically Belarus and Northern Ukraine has its own history, a unique history not shared by some Pan-Slavic monstrosity. Yugo-Slavs will never hold the honor of Belarus' first declaration of independence in 1918, nor will they ever feel the patriotism Belorussians feel as they see their flag rise up over their capitol. They will never Appreciate the Belorussian or Ukrainian languages, nor will they embrace the culture allowed to flourish in a true Belorussian-Ukrainian state. Their Freedom has allowed them to flourish, and we will not allow you to take it away any more than we would want to take it away ourselves. Should you truly want the best for these people, displaced by a failing government, you will make the right choice, you will allow them to be stabilized by an ally, and then allowed to recreate their own government. Should the Federation be taking an interest only to ingest and homogenize another once proud, free people, then your actions will speak louder than your words."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='08 May 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1273376477' post='2292085']
OOC: And I know how Nickonov felt about these things, so i'm RPing accurately to what his people thought, it's called RP consistency. That and since we own the protectorate, they are our RP civilians.

IC:
"So your solution to a democratic election you disagree with is...a democratic election? Our first priority is to get these people taken care of with their basic survival needs, then comes higher up functions like restoring a government of the people when it comes along."
[/quote]

OOC: Actually, it's disputed so it is no one's protectorate or territory at this time.

IC:

"When did I say I disagreed with democratic elections? The people deserve to choose who protects them, whether it be PEPTO or The Slavic Federation."

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1273376620' post='2292093']
OOC: Actually, it's disputed so it is no one's protectorate or territory at this time.

IC:

"When did I say I disagreed with democratic elections? The people deserve to choose who protects them, whether it be PEPTO or The Slavic Federation."
[/quote]
OOC: As we're the ones with troops there and who responded first, it is our protectorate. It isn't disputed unless somebody has an equal physical claim. Though I could be wrong about this, I don't really know how protectorates work because I rarely have them. <___<

IC:
"Until you present evidence that counters the fact that the people of the Slavic Union appreciate us being there, we will have to point out the fact that we have had no resistance, their government was democratically elected and constantly at odds with the Slavic Federation, and the fact that we plan to simply establish a new government of the people and then leave, not annex the territory like the Federation appears to want to do. Do you disagree with a cultural group's right to self-rule? We fear that the Federation wishes to annex the region and ignore the subtle differences between their two cultures, much like the Greater Nordlandic Reich would suppress other cultures simply to expand it's influence. We are giving these people a structure with which to decide their OWN fate, and we will leave the region as soon as they have done so and have a stable system of government. The Slavic Federation is always free to send medical or food supplies to the region if they wish"

Classified:
The 4th Airborne has started to arrive to help distribute medical supplies and fill in police functions, such are directing traffic.

Edited by BaronUberstein

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='08 May 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1273377165' post='2292118']
OOC: As we're the ones with troops there and who responded first, it is our protectorate. It isn't disputed unless somebody has an equal physical claim. Though I could be wrong about this, I don't really know how protectorates work because I rarely have them. <___<

IC:
"Until you present evidence that counters the fact that the people of the Slavic Union appreciate us being there, we will have to point out the fact that we have had no resistance, their government was democratically elected and constantly at odds with the Slavic Federation, and the fact that we plan to simply establish a new government of the people and then leave, not annex the territory like the Federation appears to want to do. Do you disagree with a cultural group's right to self-rule? We fear that the Federation wishes to annex the region and ignore the subtle differences between their two cultures, much like the Greater Nordlandic Reich would suppress other cultures simply to expand it's influence. We are giving these people a structure with which to decide their OWN fate, and we will leave the region as soon as they have done so and have a stable system of government. The Slavic Federation is always free to send medical or food supplies to the region if they wish"
[/quote]

OOC: Contested territory, as far as I know, what this current situation is.

"It would be propaganda to assume that 100% of the population is not resisting the forces of PEPTO from coming in to their nation. If I disagreed with a cultural group's right to self-rule, I would support PEPTO sending in their forces. Slavs, even with their subtle differences are still Slavs. The Slavorussian Empire or the Slavic Federation have a much closer cultural connection to their Slavic Union counterparts much more than Norwegians, Fins and Austrians. If you want cultures to survive, you would allow all Slavs to protect this region as well, not discount them because you are distrusting of them."

"To end this constant bickering, I suggest we look into history for the direction of the future of who were once Belarussians. Before the Slavic Union, before the Hanseatic Commonwealth, before the Prussians, this land was owned and governed by the Slavorussians. You contest that these Slavs of the Union should be governed by Slavs, let the Slavorussians govern them. Not PEPTO, not the Slavic Federation, Slavorussia. That is who France lends its support too. They are in a civil war, but as neighbors it would be wise to consult them, aid in their conflict and bring a great nation back to its old glory. Belarus for Slavorussia!"
-Therese Zelle

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1273377656' post='2292130']
OOC: Contested territory, as far as I know, what this current situation is.

"It would be propaganda to assume that 100% of the population is not resisting the forces of PEPTO from coming in to their nation. If I disagreed with a cultural group's right to self-rule, I would support PEPTO sending in their forces. Slavs, even with their subtle differences are still Slavs. The Slavorussian Empire or the Slavic Federation have a much closer cultural connection to their Slavic Union counterparts much more than Norwegians, Fins and Austrians. If you want cultures to survive, you would allow all Slavs to protect this region as well, not discount them because you are distrusting of them."
[/quote]
"As I said, if they wish to participate in aiding the region until we have allowed the people to set up a self-ruling government, they are free to do so. Is it not better for their unique culture to not just be labeled under the rather large group 'Slavic' and instead be given the chance for self-rule? I believe the right of self-rule and self-determination of government trumps any claims of another government to cultural similarities. Culturally two nations can be very similar, but psychologically they can be different, mentally they can disagree with each other. That is shown by how they were at odds, how their democratically elected government allied itself to PEPTO, not the Federation. How they politically maneuvered to distance themselves from the Federation. Cultural claims do not trump the will of the people."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='09 May 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1273378167' post='2292141']
"As I said, if they wish to participate in aiding the region until we have allowed the people to set up a self-ruling government, they are free to do so. Is it not better for their unique culture to not just be labeled under the rather large group 'Slavic' and instead be given the chance for self-rule? I believe the right of self-rule and self-determination of government trumps any claims of another government to cultural similarities. Culturally two nations can be very similar, but psychologically they can be different, mentally they can disagree with each other. That is shown by how they were at odds, how their democratically elected government allied itself to PEPTO, not the Federation. How they politically maneuvered to distance themselves from the Federation. Cultural claims do not trump the will of the people."
[/quote]

"So, you would support a joint protectorate between PEPTO and the Slavic Federation in which equal protection and aid is provided, between both parties, for the people of the Slavic Union?"

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1273378456' post='2292146']
"So, you would support a joint protectorate between PEPTO and the Slavic Federation in which equal protection and aid is provided, between both parties, for the people of the Slavic Union?"
[/quote]
"As long as the Slavic Federation does nothing to hinder the ability of the people in the area to decide for themselves, and their forces did not exceed PEPTO forces in the area, I would be fine with that. We already have more than enough soldiers in the area to deal with the situation. Were Slavorussia not in a bad situation at the moment, we would ask them to help as well."

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='09 May 2010 - 05:20 AM' timestamp='1273378833' post='2292157']
"As long as the Slavic Federation does nothing to hinder the ability of the people in the area to decide for themselves, and their forces did not exceed PEPTO forces in the area, I would be fine with that. We already have more than enough soldiers in the area to deal with the situation. Were Slavorussia not in a bad situation at the moment, we would ask them to help as well."
[/quote]

"The Federation would accept this arrangement. To ensure an equal commitment, we'd recommend that PEPTO and the Federation both contribute 10,000 soldiers or security forces to the protection of the region."

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1273377656' post='2292130']
[/quote]
"You seem to have your logic reversed. If you supported the self rule of a culture, you would be supporting PEPTO, for refusing to allow a diverse ethnic group to be defined by a single word, but instead, by their own, individual cultures and histories. So say the 'Slavs' are a unified mass is as if I were to say that all of Africa had a distinct, continental culture, or as if I were to say that all people of Chinese decent belong to a single culture. Neither is true. In Africa there are Sudanese, Nigerians, Zulu, Algerians, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabs and the Habesha; All are independent of each other, with a history and culture all their own. The same is entirely true for the Slavic peoples. Though they started of the same beginnings, the Slavic peoples have never been a unified entity as so many wish to force into our heads; Even in their earliest times, they were independent villages and tribes. They were free of each other, of any hegemonic Pan-Slavic force, a force, I must say, that has only served to create a sick and twisted homogenization of peoples to fit a definition that can only loosely take the name 'Slavic.' What is the point of claiming to unify a culture if the culture you pull them into is a mere shell of the proud, varied cultures and states that the Slavs once were. We are not destroying their culture as you so foolishly say, we are allowing it carry on in all its glory, rather than become another proud nation buried in the cause of Pan-Slavism, much the same way the Greater Nordlandic Reich buried almost all of the independent cultures of Europe. If the Federation proved they would not infringe on the sovereignty of these proud people, we would be less imposing about this whole matter, but thus far, all we have seen is an assurance that a nation with 'Slavic' in it's name will be invading."

OOC: This post has been made before the second page even existed, so it may be a bit outdated a to current developments. meh

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea