So guys, is NPO still ruining the game?

Dontasemebro

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1273267197' post='2290618']
You recall incorrectly. Some people in GATO government knew they were the same person, and that's why he was promoted as quickly as he was.

But this is really ancient history. It's pretty clear that GATO and NPO have both moved on from this situation. Why can't the rest of the world?
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, did GATO ever admit to that, or was that simply the accusation?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1273267170' post='2290617']
I do wonder how NPO found out about it though. I guess they must have "accepted information".
[/quote]

Or you could read the second sentence again. It is quite easy to check IPs on IRC.

Edited by Llednar Twem

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1273267197' post='2290618']
But this is really ancient history. It's pretty clear that GATO and NPO have both moved on from this situation. Why can't the rest of the world?
[/quote]

Grasping at straws. Once we've come out of terms and "paid for our past crimes", they will have nothing on us.

[quote name='Llednar Twem' date='07 May 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1273267547' post='2290626']
Or you could read the second sentence again. It is quite easy to check IPs on IRC.
[/quote]

But something had to have prompted the check. Somebody didn't just up and say "Hey, remember that guy who was in GATO gov 8 months ago? Let's check and see if his IP matches Chris Kaos'!"

[quote name='Llednar Twem' date='07 May 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1273267622' post='2290628']
Grasping at straws. Once we've come out of terms and "paid for our past crimes", they will have nothing on us.
[/quote]

What are you even talking about?

Edited by Lord Brendan

[quote name='Llednar Twem' date='08 May 2010 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1273267622' post='2290628']
[/quote]
Actually I think the "NPO did worse, so this isn't bad" line won't be going away once you guys are free again. It just will be modified to "you did worse, so it's okay if we do it".

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1273267711' post='2290631']
But something had to have prompted the check. Somebody didn't just up and say "Hey, remember that guy who was in GATO gov 8 months ago? Let's check and see if his IP matches Chris Kaos'!"
[/quote]

A quick ascension to government would be something worth checking out. I'm not even sure if that is how it happened, to be honest. I am too old.

[quote name='Llednar Twem' date='07 May 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1273267808' post='2290634']
A quick ascension to government would be something worth checking out. I'm not even sure if that is how it happened, to be honest. I am too old.
[/quote]

The war was declared 7-8 months after Gladius had left GATO and deleted. Obviously it was not his rapid ascension that gave him away.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1273268020' post='2290636']
The war was declared 7-8 months after Gladius had left GATO and deleted. Obviously it was not his rapid ascension that gave him away.
[/quote]

Really?

I'm going to have to go look this up.

[quote name='Llednar Twem' date='07 May 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1273268159' post='2290640']
Really?

I'm going to have to go look this up.
[/quote]

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/GATO-1V_War
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=21077
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=21104
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=21645

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1273268020' post='2290636']
[/quote]
Brendan, someone's been lying to you. He was in GATO up until the eve of the war.

[quote name='Branimir' date='07 May 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1273249933' post='2290332']
NPO made this game. If not for it, this game would go down with a whimper long time ago.

Now its upon others to make this game. And although some criticism is made on those, they are making a decent enough job. The last global war was very entertaining.

I do not know what you really want from NPO right now. It is just going to try to survive, power is in other poles if you want your "game ruined" turn to them.
[/quote]

A non-biased opinion. I haven't been around planet Bob for long (only 6 months i think), so I don't hold any grudges ans stuff. But from everything i've read and heard from both sides of the power/hegemony/whatever this comment sums it up perfectly.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1273265860' post='2290594']
Agreed. But that is not what happened.

If I recall correctly, nobody in GATO knew that Gladius was Kaos until after he was already gone. He certainly did not use the same IRC name or proclaim himself.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Barbula, the Assembly Chairman, knew who he was.[/color]

[quote name='Sigrun Vapneir' date='07 May 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1273247821' post='2290299']
...now we have two very different but reasonably well matched opponents engaged in a real war that has actually lasted for a decent period of time without a massive coalition ending it prematurely by totally swamping one side or another. This is a very positive development, however disappointing it may be to those regular posters here who crave that power back, it opens the possibility of a much more interesting game for the majority.
[/quote]

I want to make sure people just getting into this thread have a chance to read the above statement. The stagnation caused by an overly-complex treaty web is [i]the[/i] biggest problem facing this game. It's a testament to the community that people stay active during the time between, what, a couple of wars per year. What compounds this issue is that the largest, most active alliances also tend to be those most entangled with treaties, which discourages autonomy and dynamic playing (read: war). MK is as guilty as any in this case, and I'm not about to start throwing stones around from my glass house; this is a problem caused by all of us. And with the current political scene, the first alliance to take a step in the right direction will probably get rolled. Every major alliance has its share of people chomping at the bit to get revenge for past grievances, and their treaties are the only thing keeping said enemies at bay. The final result is what we have now, a stifling polarization which ensures a cycle of predictable, large-scale wars, where everyone knows that the CB is simply a diplomatic nicety and a symptom of CN politics rather than its cause. NINJAEDIT: there was an incoherent bit here comparing what's happening in CN and what's happening in American politics, specifically needing to align yourself with one of the two parties in order to accomplish at least one of your goals, but at the expense of giving up others that aren't shared by the rest of your "side". It's a bit of a stretch and there's more than a few flaws in the analogy but the resulting stalemate/disinterest is similar on both worlds.

tl:dr You would be hard-pressed to find anyone advocating the merits of our bloated treaty web considering the fact that it's strangling the life of of this game. On the flip side, you'll also have a hard time finding anyone willing to ditch the safety and political clout they get from [i]their ow[/i]n treaties.

Edited by MNNorthStars

[quote name='MNNorthStars' date='08 May 2010 - 01:20 AM' timestamp='1273270824' post='2290683']
I want to make sure people just getting into this thread have a chance to read the above statement. The stagnation caused by an overly-complex treaty web is [i]the[/i] biggest problem facing this game. It's a testament to the community that people stay active during the time between, what, a couple of wars per year. What compounds this issue is that the largest, most active alliances also tend to be those most entangled with treaties, which discourages autonomy and dynamic playing (read: war). MK is as guilty as any in this case, and I'm not about to start throwing stones around from my glass house; this is a problem caused by all of us. And with the current political scene, the first alliance to take a step in the right direction will probably get rolled. Every major alliance has its share of people chomping at the bit to get revenge for past grievances, and their treaties are the only thing keeping said enemies at bay. The final result is what we have now, a stifling polarization which ensures a cycle of predictable, large-scale wars, where everyone knows that the CB is simply a diplomatic nicety and a symptom of CN politics rather than its cause.

tl:dr You would be hard-pressed to find anyone advocating the merits of our bloated treaty web considering the fact that it's strangling the life of of this game. On the flip side, you'll also have a hard time finding anyone willing to ditch the safety and political clout they get from [i]their ow[/i]n treaties.
[/quote]
Heh, that's a pretty good statement I have to say.

[quote name='MNNorthStars' date='07 May 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1273270824' post='2290683']
tl:dr You would be hard-pressed to find anyone advocating the merits of our bloated treaty web considering the fact that it's strangling the life of of this game. On the flip side, you'll also have a hard time finding anyone willing to ditch the safety and political clout they get from [i]their ow[/i]n treaties.[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Well then, people need to grow some balls then and ditch their treaties.[/color]

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1273267197' post='2290618']
You recall incorrectly. Some people in GATO government knew they were the same person, and that's why he was promoted as quickly as he was.

[/quote]*cough* One person knew, not some. Some of us involved in that pityless war have moved on but will[b] never forget[/b].

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1273268342' post='2290644']
Brendan, someone's been lying to you. He was in GATO up until the eve of the war.
[/quote]
Thats not what i remember Haf and i was around for that war, he was long gone by the time the war kicked off...at least thats how i remember it :unsure: . Perhaps one of my GATOan comrades would be kind enough to confirm one way or the other.

[quote name='Cortath' date='08 May 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1273274456' post='2290752']
I was so very worried people had forgotten us.
[/quote]
Not much chance of that Cortath ;)

Edited by Cataduanes

[quote name='Cataduanes' date='07 May 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1273275636' post='2290780']
*cough* One person knew, not some. Some of us involved in that pityless war have moved on but will[b] never forget[/b].
[/quote]
Well... That's not what bliang told me. But oh well. As I have suggested, it's pretty ancient history now.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='07 May 2010 - 03:11 PM' timestamp='1273259474' post='2290495']
Chris Kaos and Alexander_Gladius were not the same character. The fact that they were both made by the same player should have no bearing on the game, [i]especially[/i] considering GATO had no knowledge of that fact at the time AG joined.
[/quote]
Yeah so. We #$%^ed up. We shouldn't have attacked GATO. You were right and we were wrong. Happy now?

[quote name='Emperor Marx' date='07 May 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1273264011' post='2290568']
Hey guys the NPO is ruining the game we need to stop this menace before they consume the world. [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2ev8exk.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
Couldn't have said it better myself.

[quote name='MNNorthStars' date='07 May 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1273270824' post='2290683']
I want to make sure people just getting into this thread have a chance to read the above statement. The stagnation caused by an overly-complex treaty web is [i]the[/i] biggest problem facing this game. It's a testament to the community that people stay active during the time between, what, a couple of wars per year. What compounds this issue is that the largest, most active alliances also tend to be those most entangled with treaties, which discourages autonomy and dynamic playing (read: war). MK is as guilty as any in this case, and I'm not about to start throwing stones around from my glass house; this is a problem caused by all of us. And with the current political scene, the first alliance to take a step in the right direction will probably get rolled. Every major alliance has its share of people chomping at the bit to get revenge for past grievances, and their treaties are the only thing keeping said enemies at bay. The final result is what we have now, a stifling polarization which ensures a cycle of predictable, large-scale wars, where everyone knows that the CB is simply a diplomatic nicety and a symptom of CN politics rather than its cause. NINJAEDIT: there was an incoherent bit here comparing what's happening in CN and what's happening in American politics, specifically needing to align yourself with one of the two parties in order to accomplish at least one of your goals, but at the expense of giving up others that aren't shared by the rest of your "side". It's a bit of a stretch and there's more than a few flaws in the analogy but the resulting stalemate/disinterest is similar on both worlds.

[/quote]
This post wins the thread.

[quote name='MNNorthStars' date='08 May 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1273270824' post='2290683']
[/quote]

This is very true, and to relate it back to what I was saying originally, the only major alliance that has dared to take a step out of this is the Grämlins, and look at how they are being demonised for it. Yet, the demonisation hasnt had its traditional effect, at least not yet, which is what I see as the one really hopeful sign for the future of the game. If that war is allowed to play on out on its own terms without interference, it would actually mark a real and desperately needed change in this game, rather than just a shuffling of chairs.

[quote name='bakamitai' date='08 May 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1273283511' post='2290897']
Yeah so. We #$%^ed up. We shouldn't have attacked GATO. You were right and we were wrong. Happy now?
[/quote]

Is that a personal opinion or a sarcastic retort?

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1273268342' post='2290644']
[/quote]
I do remember many of the details of the GATO-One Vision War, and AG had long since left when the war started, and all the government members at the time had nations predating Great War III, meaning none of them were Kaos.

The lying and cover-up by the GATO government were also contributing factors to the war, although the fact remains that it was mainly over a reroll nation with a mostly fresh start.