So guys, is NPO still ruining the game?

Dontasemebro

Just curious. In my opinion, NPO went down in a sort of ceaser-esque type way. As NPO is on the rise and everyone's pooin in their own cheerios about it, how long before NPO is ruining the game again? I for one never really minded them, I mostly hated them for the bloc they were in. Usually their bloc would roll people for talking bad about them and nobody could say anything bad about someone without suddenly realizing their alliance committed a crime that means they get curbstomped. The age of the monthly curbstomp seems to be over. No allies are being betrayed. But remember, NPO won this game, right?

edit: No girls on the internet, guys.

Edited by Dontasemebro

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Emperor Marx' date='06 May 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1273210370' post='2289999']
Stagnation is GOONS' fault, obviously.
[/quote]

See our recent sign-up thread. We're working on it!

Edited by ktarthan

Just because it isn't the NPO ruining the game now doesn't mean it wasn't the NPO ruining the game then. I mean, if you want to count "someone else is stagnating the game this time" as a moral victory I suppose I can't fault you.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='07 May 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1273211310' post='2290012']
[b]I don't think they 'ruined the game'[/b]. I think their own success got the better of them, and they never thought they would be on the receiving end of what they so regularly dished out.
[/quote]
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/14smltw.jpg[/img] You wound me deeply, sir.

NPO hasn't been able to do much of anything due to surrender terms for a long time now. I'm not even sure who they still owe reps to anymore, but last I heard of it was in NPO's thread letting everyone know GOD was forcing them to send reps during the wars. (I didn't know GOD was still getting reps until that thread and don't know if they are anymore)

[quote name='Methrage' date='07 May 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1273218266' post='2290087']
NPO hasn't been able to do much of anything due to surrender terms for a long time now. I'm not even sure who they still owe reps to anymore, but last I heard of it was in NPO's thread letting everyone know GOD was forcing them to send reps during the wars. (I didn't know GOD was still getting reps until that thread and don't know if they are anymore)
[/quote]

Point being? I don't understand what in god's name your trying to say anymore.

Since Feb 2009 NPO lost all power to ruin the game.

[quote name='Sir Keshav IV' date='07 May 2010 - 03:54 AM' timestamp='1273218859' post='2290089']
Point being? I don't understand what in god's name your trying to say anymore.

Since Feb 2009 NPO lost all power to ruin the game.
[/quote]
You seem to understand, but say you don't. So not really sure what your trying to say or your point being in asking what my point is. I know NPO lost the power to do anything due to surrender terms and said so in my post.

I'd say rather a sign NPO is still greatly respected for their abilities, and everyone is (if they admit it or not publically) really interested in how they put their abilities to use.

Personally I am mostly interested in whether NPO, once they can act without any constrains, attempts to slowly get back to exactly where they were before Karma, and stay there with the same methods, or whether they will at least apply different methods even when they are in a position to use the old ones. Afterall, no matter what you think of Karma and the terms back then, things could have been even worse for NPO considering some of the terms of previous wars.
Basically, will NPO remember that even when the victors could have, they didn't treat them quite as badly as NPO treated others?

[quote name='Bob Janova' date='07 May 2010 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1273233414' post='2290150']
The fact that people are still talking about NPO when they've had 9 months out of the game is an inditement on the rest of the alliances.
[/quote]
This.

People need to shut up about the NPO and do something for christ sake. NPO was what it was because it took action to get there and even though they did many things that I feel were detrimental to the community they still made the damn game entertaining. So do something to make this game fun or shut up about how boring it is.

[quote name='Bob Janova' date='07 May 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1273233414' post='2290150']
The fact that people are still talking about NPO when they've had 9 months out of the game is an inditement on the rest of the alliances.
[/quote]
Never mind merely talking about NPO, people are still cowering down under their rules. In NPO's prime if you didn't follow their wishes and the wishes of their buddies you'd find that your alliance was a smoking crater pretty quickly, and even though they haven't been the controllers for 9 months this legacy of theirs is as strong as ever.

The evidence for this is in the current Gre-IRON fiasco. Which alliance (of the many large enough to do so) is sticking up to Gre and attempting to assert themselves? None of them, because under the NPO rules Bob has one leader and everyone else follows in order to survive, and the leader of the day backs Gre. Archon is probably the only active head of an alliance who has shown competent global leadership skills in recent times so he has become, by default, the man to follow for the many survivalist mongrels masquerading as leaders of the other large alliances, because all they want is security and safety.

Where a strong leader might lead opposition against unsavoury acts, gutless and spineless wonders will just go with the flow - when NPO ruled they had their followers which created a boring and one-sided dynamic, and now MK is the same. It's a shame that so much potential for fun and drama is wasted just because the safety at all costs drones are spoiling things.

So yeah, NPO no longer has the power to ruin the game, but apparently we would like to continue their good work regardless. Thanks a lot, NPO. <_<

Edited by Aimee Mann

[quote name='Aimee Mann' date='07 May 2010 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1273242632' post='2290228']
Never mind merely talking about NPO, people are still cowering down under their rules. In NPO's prime if you didn't follow their wishes and the wishes of their buddies you'd find that your alliance was a smoking crater pretty quickly, and even though they haven't been the controllers for 9 months this legacy of theirs is as strong as ever.

The evidence for this is in the current Gre-IRON fiasco. Which alliance (of the many large enough to do so) is sticking up to Gre and attempting to assert themselves? None of them, because under the NPO rules Bob has one leader and everyone else follows in order to survive, and the leader of the day backs Gre. Archon is probably the only active head of an alliance who has shown competent global leadership skills in recent times so he has become, by default, the man to follow for the many survivalist mongrels masquerading as leaders of the other large alliances, because all they want is security and safety.

Where a strong leader might lead opposition against unsavoury acts, gutless and spineless wonders will just go with the flow - when NPO ruled they had their followers which created a boring and one-sided dynamic, and now MK is the same. It's a shame that so much potential for fun and drama is wasted just because the safety at all costs drones are spoiling things.

So yeah, NPO no longer has the power to ruin the game, but apparently we would like to continue their good work regardless. Thanks a lot, NPO. <_<
[/quote]

Congratulations, you "get it", save for one proviso.

A significant number of people/alliances who followed NPO's lead did so out of convenience, not loyalty. At the end of the Karma War almost all of them vowed it would never happen again.

Enter the post-Karma War era. Those now who pull strings behind the scenes (Archon for one, but I would argue there's more than one) have any number of other people/alliances that follow their lead. Whether they will stick around as long as NPO's followers is yet to be seen, though so far they have followed the script.

NPO is on the outside looking in. No doubt, thanks to this last major war, they will develop followers including some who vowed 'never again" in 2009. No one however believes they can capture lighting in a bottle twice.

[quote name='Dontasemebro' date='07 May 2010 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1273209793' post='2289985']
I for one never really minded them, I mostly hated them for the bloc they were in. Usually their bloc would roll people for talking bad about them and nobody could say anything bad about someone without suddenly realizing their alliance committed a crime that means they get curbstomped.
[/quote]
You do realize who initiated, and enabled that right? Not to mention, NPO was the leader in nearly every single one of those curbstomps. It's amazing you overlooked that.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1273236758' post='2290183']
The monthly curbstomp is over?

Coulda fooled me.
[/quote]
You're incredibly terrible at this. Just stop trying. That was a stupid one liner with absolutely no ground to stand on, considering MK and Co. have started, what, one war since Karma?

[quote name='Bob Janova' date='07 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1273233414' post='2290150']
[/quote]

But they havent been "9 months out of game." They were in fact left quite intact to regroup for round two, so it's not at all surprising people are still thinking about them. Their stranglehold on power here was broken, but all of the elements from which it was built are still in play so it's quite natural people wonder how and when we will start to see them visibly reässembling those elements.

[quote name='Aimee Mann' date='08 May 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1273242632' post='2290228']
The evidence for this is in the current Gre-IRON fiasco. Which alliance (of the many large enough to do so) is sticking up to Gre and attempting to assert themselves? [/quote]

I couldnt disagree with your analysis more. The ability of a handful of facile propagandists to create an echo chambre here and use it to turn anything approaching a fair fight into a massive curbstomp was one of the worst features of the pre-karma period. In those days no fair fights were allowed, now we have two very different but reasonably well matched opponents engaged in a real war that has actually lasted for a decent period of time without a massive coalition ending it prematurely by totally swamping one side or another. This is a very positive development, however disappointing it may be to those regular posters here who crave that power back, it opens the possibility of a much more interesting game for the majority.

NPO made this game. If not for it, this game would go down with a whimper long time ago.

Now its upon others to make this game. And although some criticism is made on those, they are making a decent enough job. The last global war was very entertaining.

I do not know what you really want from NPO right now. It is just going to try to survive, power is in other poles if you want your "game ruined" turn to them.

[quote name='Starfox101' date='07 May 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1273246827' post='2290287']
You're incredibly terrible at this. Just stop trying. That was a stupid one liner with absolutely no ground to stand on, considering MK and Co. have started, what, one war since Karma?
[/quote]
Actually, Athens started one, NpO another. Both are close MK allies.

As for the "only one war" argument - that's the same number as the number of wars NPO started between WotC and Karma.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1273250359' post='2290340']

As for the "only one war" argument - that's the same number as the number of wars NPO started between WotC and Karma.
[/quote]

so Athens tech raiding a small alliance and the unless i am mistaken paying reps to it and NpO starting a war that MK very much disagreed with is the same thing as curbstopping say GATO or GPA or FAN or CIS and well i think you get the idea.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='07 May 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1273250359' post='2290340']

[/quote]

On top of what CSM and anenu said, both are also allied to IAA. THOSE PESKY WAR STARTERS! I hope Chim and Voodoo Nova are ashamed of themselves for starting wars like that. And forcing your side to attack alliances that weren't really involved.

Edited by potato

[quote name='Branimir' date='07 May 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1273249933' post='2290332']
Now its upon others to make this game. And although some criticism is made on those, they are making a decent enough job. The last global war was very entertaining.

I do not know what you really want from NPO right now. It is just going to try to survive, power is in other poles if you want your "game ruined" turn to them.
[/quote]
Pretty much this. Let's see if those folks can do anything interesting.