Open Invitation to the Asian Oceanic Community

Triyun

[quote]
[center][u]Dispatch from the United States of China[/u][/center]

The United States of China would like to extend a formal invitation to the entire Asian-Pacific Community to a conference on a comprehensive ban on the use of all nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons in the hemisphere in any first strike capacity. These weapons are a horror which effect more than just the foolish leaders which use them. While we recognize their usefulness in deterrence, surely we can all recognize the idea of limited nuclear war is sheer madness.

We invite our collegues from across the community to come join us in Nanjing at the sight of a new memorial to the war dead from the RA-UFE Nuclear Holocaust, honoring the civilian dead on both sides.[/quote]

OOC: Others wishing to join the conference can post, for convinience lets assume everyone has arrived.

Prime Minister Wei would host the conference. The Conference would take place in Jiming Temple overlooking the lake.

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Jimingsi_snow_scene.jpg[/img][/center]

Wei prepared to give the opening remarks:

[i]Citizens of the East. Today, I welcome you to the United States of China. A new state, which has dedicated itself to the universal aspirations of humanity. The purpose of this conference is not to lecture one state or another. We do not believe that any international conference can succeed if its goals are to blame those in the past, but rather, we seek to shift the paradigm towards what are the peoples of the world doing to create a brighter future.

There is an over used Chinese proverb which by now you have all heard: A journey of a thousand li begins with a single step. But in this case it could not be more apt. Whatever the nations of the world believe about how things work or about one another, surely we can all agree at the sheer lunacy of nuclear war. That is why it is essential that nuclear weapons remain purely as defenses against other nuclear weapons. There is no such thing as a limited nuclear war, wars have a tendency to escalate it is a historical fact. In the age of missile shields, there is no guarantee of a successful disabling first strike.

I therefore come before you today to propose the following amendment to all nations of our hemisphere's constitutions.

[quote]We hereby renounce our right to first use of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons in the Eastern Hemisphere.[/quote]

This simple but powerful amendment will have amazing effects. The first is that it will immediately create a defacto ban the use of weapons of mass destruction on states within the Eastern Hemisphere which themselves lack such capabilities. This reduces proliferation, particularly among small states who might not be stable enough to successfully safe guard these weapons. Secondly, it protects non-combatant nations in the hemisphere from the powerful environmental effects of these weapons. And most importantly, it moves us one step along the path that nuclear weapons never be used again!

The location of this conference is not accidental. Large parts of this city were destroyed in the nuclear holocaust between the United Francoist Empire and the Rebel Army. Today, even today as Nanjing modernizes and returns to what it once was, we still grieve for those lost. Our cancer rate here is three times that of anywhere else in the nation. Because of one poor leader, any one of your great cities could suffer Nanjing's fate. In an instant millions of peoples worlds and lives will be changed forever. That is why it is so important that we act today. Let us take that first step, so that another and then another may be taken on that path to that universal hope 'peace in our time and beyond.'[/i]

Edited by Triyun

"Sir, I could not agree with you more than I currently do. I am absolutely in agreement that we must place a ban on nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons' first use. Because, if first use is eliminated everywhere, then use itself is eliminated everywhere. I support this amendment and I am certain that Vietnam will support it as well."

"I can understand your sentiments, sir, as can my people. The Home Islands of Japan were attacked with 7 nuclear missiles on major cities a few years ago, from which we are still partially recovering. While the cities are at liveable conditions (the weapons were low-yield), some of the damage is still not completely gone. I believe my Empress will completely agree with the proposal put forward here, documenting for the complete ban of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons' first use. Beyond the already existant 'no first strike' policy the Empire holds on nuclear weapons, the likelihood is that this will extend to the other weapons' (since no formal legislation on them has passed already in our country). As such, I hereby declare my unilateral support and believe the Empire will follow it."

"While the Kingdom of Cochin does respect the sentiment behind the abhorrence shown towards Nuclear First Strike, we feel compelled to put forward the point that in certain defensive situations, nations would be compelled to use first strike offenses if and when they feel that their sovereignty is being threatened. It is a fact of life. A nation or a government under the threat of annihilation in an overwhelming conventional war, may feel that these gross weapons may be the last resort. In such a case , can the said nation really be faulted in trying to defend itself?"

"According to our published doctrines, The Kingdom of Cochin as forbidden itself from conducting offensive first strike of nuclear weapons. However we do have a policy that if large territories of our sovereign lands are under the threat of being over run, tactical nuclear warheads would be detonated to halt any successive advance of hostile forces. The warheads' yields have been fixed to limit its effects purely within the Kingdom, and since it is a detonation within our nation, there is no reason why another peaceful nation would suffer any loses. It is part of our Scorched Earth Policy, a last stand defense against national annihilation."

"Thus we would like to reiterate that any promise to eschew the usage of nuclear weapons and such would not be workable in a strategic environment where threat of war persists. Prevent war, and you prevent nuclear detonation," Gen. Mahesh Varma, Commander of RCDF said.

"In general I believe such a measure would pass parliament. Though we do not have a constitution, merely a collection of laws and founding documents bound together by practice and tradition. Nonetheless a parliamentary act with royal assent would be our equivalent to an amendment." - Ariea Vern, Minister of State

[quote name='king of cochin' date='09 May 2010 - 04:52 AM' timestamp='1273377116' post='2292115']
"While the Kingdom of Cochin does respect the sentiment behind the abhorrence shown towards Nuclear First Strike, we feel compelled to put forward the point that in certain defensive situations, nations would be compelled to use first strike offenses if and when they feel that their sovereignty is being threatened. It is a fact of life. A nation or a government under the threat of annihilation in an overwhelming conventional war, may feel that these gross weapons may be the last resort. In such a case , can the said nation really be faulted in trying to defend itself?"

"According to our published doctrines, The Kingdom of Cochin as forbidden itself from conducting offensive first strike of nuclear weapons. However we do have a policy that if large territories of our sovereign lands are under the threat of being over run, tactical nuclear warheads would be detonated to halt any successive advance of hostile forces. The warheads' yields have been fixed to limit its effects purely within the Kingdom, and since it is a detonation within our nation, there is no reason why another peaceful nation would suffer any loses. It is part of our Scorched Earth Policy, a last stand defense against national annihilation."

"Thus we would like to reiterate that any promise to eschew the usage of nuclear weapons and such would not be workable in a strategic environment where threat of war persists. Prevent war, and you prevent nuclear detonation," Gen. Mahesh Varma, Commander of RCDF said.
[/quote]

Vern Respond:

"The reality that nuclear weapons pose, far transcends the significance of a nation's sovereignty. You may be fighting to protect the existence of your state apparatus but at what cost? Should a territory fall this is not the end of its people, its infrastructure, its military or anything of the sort; the only thing that ends is the influence and direction stemming from its governing bodies. While an concrete human being may fight to survive at any cost, a nation is not an organism, its only an artificial collective of people, and defeat in a war, or even full scale annexation are not a final end as death is for an individual.

Moreover a first strike even in defense will likely come at a greater cost to the people of a nation than having abstained from such. It is almost a certainty that a first strike of any kind will result in a retaliatory strike escalating the war into full scale nuclear annihilation. Even if you manage to weaken the invader to the point of effecting their withdrawal, the survival of your political order comes at the cost of millions if not billions of human lives.

Moreover this pact only applies to the eastern hemisphere where any nuclear war especially an escalated one will without a doubt impact everyone in the region negatively, even the nonparticipants. Considering the fact that use of nuclear weapons will kill billions in resulting famines, radiation related illness, and the direct death is your nation really willing to subject even its allies to such consequences in some last ditch effort to hold onto power?

Finally what present threat is there of war in the east? What is there to risk or to lose? Surveying the map of today I see a stable Oceania, and a stable Asia. We of course won't pressure you to agree to anything, but do you not see our point?"

Edited by iamthey

"I do see your point, and a quite meritorious it is indeed, however rather too utopian in our opinion. It is the mandate of a nation to defend its people in any way possible, and nuclear weapons are means of last resort towards that end. If there is no war, there is no question of nuclear weapons being used, and in such a scenario, we have no conflict of opinion at all. So of course we are in principle against first strike of nuclear weapons in any conflict, and the only way to assure that is to prevent conflict in the first place. Now our region is safe, stable and peaceful. And it should remain so. However stability and peace are always under threat from disruption, which can only be prevented by vigilance. If we make a conscious effort to work against war, work against conflict, there is no reason why the threat of nuclear weapons cannot be removed entirely."

"As a career soldier, I know the horrors of war, and I know the horrors that would be unleashed by nuclear weapons. I think it is best we try to avoid war in the entirety," Gen. Mahesh Varma said.

Former Prime Minister, and Air Force Air Marshal, General Barrett rises to address the conference.

"Though we do sympathize with the aims and goals of this conference, we must remind you that things can get very crazy in wartime. Though we are not fans of a nuclear first strike, and frankly do not know if their are any fans of it amongst world leaders, the option is there in order to save lives rather than wanton destruction. If you are in a protracted war, tens of thousands of lives would be saved if you launched. It is not the greatest thing to do, but for the knockout blow that can end war.

Furthermore, if it is a blanket call, we doubt that it would pass our Government. We believe that the best defense is a good offense. Hence, why we see problems with a blanket prohibition of nuclear first strike."

Supreme Bashar Vorian Atreides rose to his feet. "Andonia will ban the use of nuclear weapons, because despite the fact that we have no nuclear weapons, we have had nuclear devices used on us several times, once when defending our former Burman province,and once when the nuclear reactor beneath our former capital was induced to overload, collapsing the city. The horror of nuclear weapons remains with my people to this day. Nuclear weapons have been and always will be banned within our nation."

Whilst we are not Asian/Pacifican, the nuclear policy of Kanvers has recently been the topic of much discussion, and although we believe in the use of nuclear weapons as a detterent, our policy dictates that we do not strike first.

Due to recent controversies over the policy, we are deeply interested in the outcome of the discussion.

The Prime Minister is presently attending a meeting in Bohovia, and so will not be able to attend intime; the Minister of Defence will instead arrive as soon as you require us to be here.

We will require the use of a helipad as the Minister is being flown directly from a prior conference on the other side of the globe, and will be arriving via a military helicopter.

We will also require a form of armoured vehicle to borrow in order to ferry the Minister to and from the conference.

Note that we are not here to sign any form of disarnament treaty, but we are certainly interested to debate the current situation.

The Minister of Defence rose to his feet.

"Whilst I accept that nuclear weaponry may be a destructive tool which has wreaked havoc in many of the nations with representatives seated here today, sure the use of nuclear weaponry as a deterrent, but not a first-strike weapons system, is practical? And think of the costs of diarmanent; this is money that Planet Bob cannot spare with the current financial crises"

"Novak has been assaulted with WMD's during our revolution by a mad man. We disapprove of all first strike WMD attacks, as they tend to harm more than the intended targets and non-combatant citizens. Their effects are much more than a modified scorched earth policy or defense of your territory. When you use WMDs, specifically nuclear weapons in this case, you radiate the land for decades. You destroy much more than a strategic target, you harm any nation that rises up from that territory, you punish a city or region long after a war has ended and the troops have come home. You leave a permanent scar in the eyes of the people. You leave a lingering emotional trauma that no non-combatant should be forced to experience. Asia and Oceania has seen it's devastating wars. This is one step closer to prevention of a nuclear holocaust in our region and this is one step closer for us to stand united in something, even if we all may odds with one another. If we do this, this movement of no first strike nuclear attacks, we can move this world forward and make it one our children will not have to worry about a nuclear device dropping in their backyard."

[quote name='JimBob' date='09 May 2010 - 11:02 AM' timestamp='1273428131' post='2292590']
The Minister of Defence rose to his feet.

"Whilst I accept that nuclear weaponry may be a destructive tool which has wreaked havoc in many of the nations with representatives seated here today, sure the use of nuclear weaponry as a deterrent, but not a first-strike weapons system, is practical? And think of the costs of diarmanent; this is money that Planet Bob cannot spare with the current financial crises"
[/quote]

OOC: Do you have CNRP nation? (nation in CNRP =/= nation in CN) To create a CNRP nation, you need to ask for some land on the world map in [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=76516"]this[/url] thread and then post a Declaration of Existence.

If you don't want to join CNRP, that's fine & feel free to continue your news thread but please don't post in CNRP-related topics (most of the topics in Fantasy RP).

Edited by iKrolm

OOC:

[quote name='iKrolm' date='09 May 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1273429747' post='2292633']
OOC: Do you have CNRP nation? (nation in CNRP =/= nation in CN) To create a CNRP nation, you need to ask for some land on the world map in [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=76516"]this[/url] thread and then post a Declaration of Existence.

If you don't want to join CNRP, that's fine & feel free to continue your news thread but please don't post in CNRP-related topics (most of the topics in Fantasy RP).
[/quote]

I think you'll find i dont need to ask for some land or whatever if you take a look at the FAQ section of the Open World Forum:

"Q: Do I have to RP in CNRP to Rp in the Fantasy forum?

A: No. And do not be put off by those who post in your threads saying various things like, "are you on the map?" or "No way is possible." These are simply CNRP'ers wondering if you are joining CNRP.

Q: In CNRP do I have to have my nation on the map RP?

A: Not necessarily. CNRP includes not only role-playing between nations, but role-playing on a small scale, or even with individual characters. A number of players have RP'd without bothering establishing a nation on the map."

So - thanks, but, no thanks - im not buying land and im not budging :)

Edited by JimBob