STA May Press Conference

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#0000FF"]What are the STA's thoughts on the recent treaty between ODN and Sparta? What are STA's thoughts on the aforementioned alliances? I only ask because it seems that this treaty has stirred quite a bit of controversy regarding one of those alliances. I would just like to know where STA stands on this. That is all. Nothing more.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='04 May 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1272946319' post='2286031']
[color="#0000FF"]What are the STA's thoughts on the recent treaty between ODN and Sparta? What are STA's thoughts on the aforementioned alliances? I only ask because it seems that this treaty has stirred quite a bit of controversy regarding one of those alliances. I would just like to know where STA stands on this. That is all. Nothing more.[/color]
[/quote]

I think a post on our forum made by one of our former government members sums it up nicely. "...and just when I was finally starting to gain a little respect for ODN."

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1272946492' post='2286033']
I think a post on our forum made by one of our former government members sums it up nicely. "...and just when I was finally starting to gain a little respect for ODN."
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Thank you. I greatly appreciate this very direct and very honest answer to a very simple question.[/color]

[quote name='Kzoppistan' date='04 May 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1272946834' post='2286046']
How did the last war affect STA's opinion of the various foreign powers? Do any stand out in particular in regards to a substantial shift of opinion?
[/quote]

I think the biggest shifts of opinion were probably on the C&G side. There were a couple of alliances who fought in defense of C&G that we had a pretty high opinion of before the war. Once they demanded reps, they went on our mental list of alliances that are crap. Seriously, in STA's opinion it's completely inappropriate, opportunistic, and greedy to demand reps if you are not the aggrieved party. We grew much closer to Silence as a result of this war. Believe it or not, our opinion of Legion went up significantly, because they intended to come to our defense before the \m/-NpO part of the war ended. We have always been friends with NSO, but as a direct result of their actions in this war, I think it's safe to say that we are legitimately very close friends with them.

[quote name='The AUT' date='04 May 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1272946971' post='2286051']
Along with Kzop's question, how do you feel about MK/NpO/NSO after the war? Did your feelings change or were they unchanged?
[/quote]

Our opinion of MK didn't change. They didn't do anything wrong here. They did pretty much what we would have in this situation, and in our post war treaty discussion amongst our alliance, it was pretty much unanimous that the treaty remain. It's still a solid friendship. Our opinion of NSO raised quite a bit higher. We were already friends... we remained so after Frostbite. Contrary to the peanut gallery's gossip, the Frostbite breakup was very, very amicable, and there really were no hard feelings. We ended it because we both recognized that we were moving in different directions, with different goals, and that was that. During the war, NSO got their first real chance to "put their money where their mouth is" on a global scale. They didn't disappoint. We are closer now than ever. There still isn't going to be a treaty. We don't need one. We know where we stand with each other, and that's good enough for both of us. NpO took a hit in the STA court of opinion. We're still friends, and there's no chance of anything happening to that treaty anytime soon, but there is work to be done on repairing that relationship. We were angry and hurt enough to more or less leave it alone and let ourselves cool off over the last month, but we're better about it now and we look forward to moving forward with them.

[quote name='kpcurley' date='04 May 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1272947008' post='2286052']
How much of your alliance's economy diverted to fund your government's twinkee addiction, and is it sustainable?
[/quote]
None is diverted. We have a fund that is always in place.

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 05:33 AM' timestamp='1272947588' post='2286075']
Our opinion of MK didn't change. They didn't do anything wrong here. They did pretty much what we would have in this situation, and in our post war treaty discussion amongst our alliance, it was pretty much unanimous that the treaty remain. It's still a solid friendship. Our opinion of NSO raised quite a bit higher. We were already friends... we remained so after Frostbite. Contrary to the peanut gallery's gossip, the Frostbite breakup was very, very amicable, and there really were no hard feelings. We ended it because we both recognized that we were moving in different directions, with different goals, and that was that. During the war, NSO got their first real chance to "put their money where their mouth is" on a global scale. They didn't disappoint. We are closer now than ever. There still isn't going to be a treaty. We don't need one. We know where we stand with each other, and that's good enough for both of us. NpO took a hit in the STA court of opinion. We're still friends, and there's no chance of anything happening to that treaty anytime soon, but there is work to be done on repairing that relationship. We were angry and hurt enough to more or less leave it alone and let ourselves cool off over the last month, but we're better about it now and we look forward to moving forward with them.

None is diverted. We have a fund that is always in place.
[/quote]

Thanks for the honest answer. So my next question would be if your opinion of NSO grew and your opinion of NpO decreased, why do you still hold that treaty with NpO and not with NSO?

[quote name='The AUT' date='04 May 2010 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1272948167' post='2286084']
Thanks for the honest answer. So my next question would be if your opinion of NSO grew and your opinion of NpO decreased, why do you still hold that treaty with NpO and not with NSO?
[/quote]

We don't hold a treaty with NSO for the same reason the Frostbite and our separate treaties were canceled. We've got different goals and directions, and it's just not something that's viable to put on paper. We kept our treaty with NpO because, when a friend makes you angry, you mope about it for awhile, then come back together and work out your differences. You certainly don't turn your back and keep it that way. That would be messed up, and not at all our style. We've been friends for a lot longer than the course of this war, and it's going to take a lot more than this to make that change.

[quote name='masterbake' date='04 May 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1272948662' post='2286093']
What is your view on the idea of 'unconditional surrender'?
[/quote]

We wouldn't take anything that didn't have pre-defined terms. It'd be hypocritical of us to expect it of others.

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1272947163' post='2286058']
Believe it or not, our opinion of Legion went up significantly, because they intended to come to our defense before the \m/-NpO part of the war ended.
[/quote]

Whilst I can no longer in any way claim to represent the views of the government of The Legion, I can say that as the then #2 and one who was pushing for us to make such a move, Legion opinion of the STA at the time seemed to be in a positive upswing, and it's nice to see that the gesture was noticed and appreciated.

Anyways, now to get back on topic and ask my question. As the dust settles from the war, who would you say your closest friends/allies are, and are there any alliances you find yourself attracted to?

Actually, a second question has popped into my mind. Hopefully you'll be kind enough to humor me. What is the STA's opinion regarding the current Gramlins-IRON affair?

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1272947163' post='2286058']
I think the biggest shifts of opinion were probably on the C&G side. There were a couple of alliances who fought in defense of C&G that we had a pretty high opinion of before the war. Once they demanded reps, they went on our mental list of alliances that are crap. Seriously, in STA's opinion it's completely inappropriate, opportunistic, and greedy to demand reps if you are not the aggrieved party. We grew much closer to Silence as a result of this war. Believe it or not, our opinion of Legion went up significantly, because they intended to come to our defense before the \m/-NpO part of the war ended. We have always been friends with NSO, but as a direct result of their actions in this war, I think it's safe to say that we are legitimately very close friends with them.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Would I be correct in assuming that one of those alliances that lost favor with you would be Sparta? The same Sparta the demanded excessive reparations from Legion, and even more from TOOL. Speaking on the topic of the reparations TOOL was to owe to Sparta, considering that TOOL is a white team neighbor of yours, and I believe an alliance you are on friendly terms with, what was the general reaction in STA upon hearing news of the reparations that TOOL was being forced to pay to Sparta?[/color]

[quote name='Lord Fingolfin' date='04 May 2010 - 12:55 AM' timestamp='1272948909' post='2286102']
Whilst I can no longer in any way claim to represent the views of the government of The Legion, I can say that as the then #2 and one who was pushing for us to make such a move, Legion opinion of the STA at the time seemed to be in a positive upswing, and it's nice to see that the gesture was noticed and appreciated. Anyways, now to get back on topic and ask my question. As the dust settles from the war, who would you say your closest friends/allies are, and are there any alliances you find yourself attracted to?Actually, a second question has popped into my mind. Hopefully you'll be kind enough to humor me. What is the STA's opinion regarding the current Gramlins-IRON affair?
[/quote]

There are a couple. I'm uncomfortable with saying who they are, because we have solid plans to contact them and discuss getting to know each other better, and I'd rather they be the first to know. I promise to further elaborate once that's done. As far as the Gre-IRON thing goes, all I can really do is throw my hands up and say "Whatever." STA would never accept that "unconditional surrender." We can't fault IRON for refusing it.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='04 May 2010 - 12:55 AM' timestamp='1272948922' post='2286103']
[color="#0000FF"]Would I be correct in assuming that one of those alliances that lost favor with you would be Sparta? The same Sparta the demanded excessive reparations from Legion, and even more from TOOL. Speaking on the topic of the reparations TOOL was to owe to Sparta, considering that TOOL is a white team neighbor of yours, and I believe an alliance you are on friendly terms with, what was the general reaction in STA upon hearing news of the reparations that TOOL was being forced to pay to Sparta?[/color]
[/quote]

We've never had a favorable opinion of Sparta, so they really had no favor to lose from STA. It's a crappy alliance doing crappy things, so there wasn't a whole lot of surprise there. Sparta? Opportunistic? You don't say! No shock whatsoever. We are friends with TOOL, holding our only PIAT level treaty with them. They entered the war defensively, in treaty obligations. In fact, they declined to enter it on the optional defense clauses in their various treaties on multiple occasions. That they are being forced to pay for the "crime" of defending an ally is a load of crap. I, personally, will celebrate the day Sparta gets what they deserve.

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1272949434' post='2286114']
There are a couple. I'm uncomfortable with saying who they are, because we have solid plans to contact them and discuss getting to know each other better, and I'd rather they be the first to know. I promise to further elaborate once that's done. As far as the Gre-IRON thing goes, all I can really do is throw my hands up and say "Whatever." STA would never accept that "unconditional surrender." We can't fault IRON for refusing it.
[/quote]

Fair enough, thanks. Good luck on your entreaties to said alliances

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1272949434' post='2286114']
We've never had a favorable opinion of Sparta, so they really had no favor to lose from STA. It's a crappy alliance doing crappy things, so there wasn't a whole lot of surprise there. Sparta? Opportunistic? You don't say! No shock whatsoever. We are friends with TOOL, holding our only PIAT level treaty with them. They entered the war defensively, in treaty obligations. In fact, they declined to enter it on the optional defense clauses in their various treaties on multiple occasions. That they are being forced to pay for the "crime" of defending an ally is a load of crap. I, personally, will celebrate the day Sparta gets what they deserve.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Thank you for this honest answer. I am inclined to agree with you on all points. Perhaps a few of us ought to get together and talk about that last point. Who knows? Maybe dreams can come true.[/color]

In what direction do you feel STA's foreign policy is going?
Who do you feel to be your closest ally?
The most polar opposite of STA?
If there was one thing in the past of your alliance that you personally could fix with no consequence, what would it be?

[quote name='Seth Muscarella' date='04 May 2010 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1272950036' post='2286125']
In what direction do you feel STA's foreign policy is going?
Who do you feel to be your closest ally?
The most polar opposite of STA?
If there was one thing in the past of your alliance that you personally could fix with no consequence, what would it be?
[/quote]

Honestly, the foreign policy is going to stay the same. There's no need to change a policy that isn't broken.

Our closest ally right this moment? That's a tough one. I've been sick, so I haven't been making my rounds like I usually do. We're very close with all of them. We don't really have one who stands out as closer than the rest.

The most opposite of STA. Hm. GPA, probably. They're pretty opposite.

I would change the annoying twinkie thing. Have you ever actually eaten a twinkie? They really are not delicious once you're over the age of 12. From a political perspective, if it were solely up to me, I would have personally declined to assist NpO in the \m/ part of this most recent war. Not all of the rest of the STA gov agrees with me, but I was not a fan of that, and would have rather sat that out than defend a cause we really could not have cared less about.

EDIT: This is going to be my last response for the night. It's sleep time for me. I'll catch up in the morning, if another member of government hasn't done so.

Edited by pezstar

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1272950474' post='2286132']
I would change the annoying twinkie thing. Have you ever actually eaten a twinkie? They really are not delicious once you're over the age of 12.
[/quote]

This is the most blasphemous statement I have ever heard from a tiger. You should be ashamed.

On another note. What do you think about Pacifica coming out of terms soon? Do you have any concerns? Or will you be joyful?

[quote name='pezstar' date='04 May 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1272949434' post='2286114']
I, personally, will celebrate the day Sparta gets what they deserve.
[/quote]

When this day come invite me to the celebration :awesome:

Also, hello and thanks for the nice words about Polaris, really appreciated :wub:

[quote name='D34th' date='04 May 2010 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1272952956' post='2286164']
When this day come invite me to the celebration :awesome:

Also, hello and thanks for the nice words about Polaris, really appreciated :wub:
[/quote]
Can I come to this celebration, too? :unsure:

Edited by wilhelm the demented

[quote name='wilhelm the demented' date='04 May 2010 - 04:16 AM' timestamp='1272953789' post='2286179']
Can I come to this celebration, too? :unsure:
[/quote]

Isn't my party, but I believe pez wouldn't mind in have more guests. :v: