A secret plan...

JEDCJT

[i]Smithfield, Rhode Island[/i]

It was a lovely evening in Summerfield, Rhode Island. Located right on the fringes of Providence, the capital of Rhode Island and its largest city, Summerfield was bathed in the lovely light of a setting sun. However, Summerfield is no ordinary town; it was once known as Endor Cuidad, the magnificent capital of a former state called J Andres. Once spanning much of the Eastern Seaboard of North America before shrinking in size and dissolving, the Maritime Republic of J Andres was one of the most powerful nations in the world. In 2010 and 2011, that powerful nation, however, devolved into anarchy and from April 2011 onwards, replaced by a new nation, the Republic of New England under John Fitzgerald Kennedy. However, after five years of absence—despite the presence of a shadow government in the State of Rhode Island—J Andres reemerged on the world stage when it was granted independence by New England in 2016. But not too long afterwards, in 2020, J Andres fell into inactivity and was subsequently reincorporated into New England.

Now it is 2025. By then, the region that used to be J Andres had been under New Englander (and now FSA) rule for five years. J Andres citizens were, and are still, living happily under the New Englander (and FSA) flag—despite the fact that an increasing number of intellectuals are increasingly becoming aware of the fearsome power of the Federal Bureau of Internal Security (FBIS). Though the vast majority of former J Andres citizens are enjoying their lives as New Englander citizens, one particular person did not.

That person was sitting in the living room of his two-story house (well, more like mansion) located in Smithfield. For the past five years, he had been unhappily living in the town that he still called Endor Cuidad. Even though he lived a comfortable life (in 2021, he had bought the magnificent two-story mansion with his personal fortune), Richard Mercton was generally unsatisfied with the status of his “beloved J Andres” in New England. As leader of J Andres for four years, from 2016 to 2020, Mercton set out to follow the footsteps of his father, Josef Mercton, the King of J Andres. During that brief period of independence, Mercton had largely rebuilt J Andres’s army and infrastructure, and was poised to propel J Andres as a superpower before his country’s unfortunate collapse prompted New England to retake the area.

[center][img]http://www.exoticexcess.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/149-million-magnificent-mansion-in-pebble-beach-california.jpg[/img][/center]

With his hard efforts ultimately moot, Mercton had been living a restless life. Despite his vast fortune, Mercton drifted into and out of various jobs in an attempt to discover his purpose in life. He might have appreciated New England, at least, if it were not for his arrest and detainment by the FBIS in 2023 on “allegations of conspiracy to overthrow the State”. Though he was never physically harmed during his imprisonment, Mercton nevertheless experienced extensive emotional and mental distress as the hands of his interrogators. Released back into society, Mercton now harbored a burning hatred of New England and particularly the FSA (“[i]an abomination that should not grace the face of the world![/i]” He once ranted to his father, Josef). As leader of J Andres, Mercton had built up a huge network throughout the country, and long after J Andres’s second collapse, he continued maintaining his connections with friends in high places in [RI] government and society. In addition to his father, Josef, Mercton’s list of friends included Joel Brunel, Mickey Bethesda, Ben Richards, and even Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri, along with many others. Mercton’s networks extended to most of New England.

Through his network connections, which he had to use an extra secure communication line as to avoid attracting attention from the FBIS, Mercton had begun to fabricate a plan for the reestablishment of J Andres on the lands that was currently New England. Initially, he had wanted to establish J Andres with all of New England’s land holdings, but over time he came to realize of the responsibilities associated with maintaining a huge population and defending such a land of vast size. It would be difficult for a government or army to maintain control over an area the size of New England, both in peace and war. He now saw it preferable for a nation to maintain a small land size, as to enable the nation to defend it more easily and the like.

And so, here he was, sitting on a leather sofa in his lavishly-decorated living room, watching a large HDTV screen. (Mercton had somehow figured out a way to bypass FBIS censorship, so he was able to receive news from around the world unhindered). He was talking with his friend Ben Richards on his iPhone. “[i]So, the plan is all finalized, then? It’s all taken care of? Good.[/i]” Just when he was about to say his next words, the news channel flashed the words, ‘BREAKING NEWS’ and information about the FSA suing for peace was now being reported. As he watched the news, a grin slowly came on Mercton’s face. “[i]Well, well, Ben, check the news cha—you’re already watching it? Good….good. Hopefully everything will come according to plan.[/i]”

Setting the iPhone down, Mercton had a grin on his face as he watched the news channel. “[i]Just you wait...[/i]” He mumbled to himself. Mercton then laughed, his laughter echoing throughout the mansion.

Edited by JEDCJT

Richard Mercton was sitting on his leather sofa in his living room in the mansion, thinking. Now that the FSA had sued for peace and negotiations were currently taking place in Boston between the Presidents and foreign representatives, Mercton was mulling over his next move. It certainly would require careful planning, timing, and cunning on his part.

You see, it was to be a large plan. Originally, Mercton had considered making Endor Cuidad a ‘bastion’ and launch an uprising that would spread to most of New England, but he discounted that idea. It simply would not work, due to several reasons. Firstly, the FBIS would certainly crush the uprising; secondly, he would not have as large a support base among the population if he did that as former J Andres citizens were content to live in New England—but Mercton’s sources indicated that they were becoming discontented with New Englander rule, especially with the excesses of the FBIS. Thirdly, martial law was in place. Did anymore needed to be said?

And so, he had been busy contacting his friends and supporters through his large network. Fortunately, he had made pretty good progress so far. Due to the influence—and funding—of Ben Richards, former Minister of War and Defense, and top-secret negotiations as well, Mercton’s support base now included several prominent New Englander military generals and officials—including Dwight “Ike” Eisenhower and Bernard Montgomery. Having served in the J Andres military before J Andres’s collapse, the military generals were generally receptive—though justifiably reserved—to Mercton’s plans. Mercton and his circle of friends were now working in convincing other generals and officials to join their cause, which is currently underway. Mercton’s old friend and close advisor, Roger Ahmadinejad, would play a major part in this.

If successful, Mercton would command a large part of New England’s military (including over half of the Army, three-fourths of the Air Force, and two-fourths of the Navy). One major obstacle remained in the way; it was Robert M. Gates. Any attempts to recruit Gates into the plan (or was it a conspiracy? Mercton did not consider it as such) would seriously jeopardize everything Mercton had worked for so far. And so Gates had to be eliminated (not necessarily killed, more like booted out of office). The same went for President Lyndon Johnson. Mercton’s foreign contacts had indicated that Johnson and the entire New Englander leadership would be booted out of office as a part of the peace terms, and Mercton counted on that. The political vacuum created by such would enable Mercton to attain power (‘seizing power’ sounded too much like a coup, which he was not aiming for) and put his plans into fruition.

At the same time Ben Richards was recruiting military commanders and generals into the plan, but Mickey Bethesda and even Governor Donald Carcieri was busy negotiating with politicians and officials on the local, state, and even federal level. In fact, Carcieri had entered into private negotiations with the governors of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and even New York. So far it was going good so far, for the governors indicated their willingness to place their support behind Mercton. The same went for the senators and House of Representatives members of these six states; they voiced interest, but cautioned Mercton, Richards, and Bethesda about “a backup plan just in case it fails.” But Mercton did not do that, because he was fairly confident about his plan’s success. Regarding the remaining states in the Union, Mercton reckoned that he could use the troops stationed there to take control of them; the Army troopers could be used to remove any state or local governments if they proved to be unsupportive to Mercton. But the J Andrean did not care; he was planning to hold the rest of the land as a protectorate anyways.

As for the FBIS, Mercton would undertake some low-level negotiations with several ‘rogue’ factions (pro-Mercton supporters) within the FBIS hierarchy, but no more. He knew J. Edgar Hoover was a very deranged and extremely paranoid man who should never ever be trusted to “even get you a drink”. Mercton considered Johnson’s “biggest mistake ever made in history” to be appointing Hoover as director of the FBIS. However, to his surprise, former Stasi chief, Erich Mielke, contacted Mercton and told him he was willing to put his weight in to the conspiracy (“[i]It IS a conspiracy, no matter how much you spin it[/i]”, Mielke told Mercton with a grin. “[i]But a good conspiracy, nevertheless[/i]”). Furthermore, Mielke explained to Mercton that he had some powerful supporters high in the FBIS (after all, they had worked for the former Stasi), and he should be able to pull some strings in Mercton’s favor. As for the FBIS Division (former Military SS), Mielke would do his part in undermining the troops’ loyalty and support to Hoover; Army soldiers, once under Mercton’s command, would be used to crush them. Once he had secured power, Mercton planned to dismantle the FBIS, "[i]one block by[/i] [expletive] [i]block[/i]."

Long after he had ceased to be leader of J Andres after 2020, Mercton continued to maintain control of the Anchor Security, Inc., a security firm to the J Andres Federation of Industry. After he purchased the Anchor Security in 2017, Mercton transformed it into the [i]Kommissazul[/i], a paramilitary group. However, to avoid attracting government attention, the Kommissazul used the Anchor Security, Inc. as a front (even going as far as to use the name on official documents). Not only was Mercton going to use New Englander troops to implement his plans, but he planned to use the Kommissazul too. For funding, Mercton had connections with powerful industrialists, business people, and bankers (even these on Wall Street), where he garnered millions of dollars through his numerous bank accounts and joint-stock companies. Not only that, but the J Andres Federation of Industry used its remaining assets to help out; it played a part in raising funds for Mercton.

Adding to his steadily expanding support base were leaders and members of former J Andres political parties. In the nonpartisan environment of New England, the Nationalist Party, Anchor Party, Communist Party, Social Traditionalist Party, and the Union Party operated underground, opting to remain low-key. Only the National Liberation Army stood out; it tried to launch an uprising in Providence in 2021, but was utterly crushed by the Stasi. Virtually all of its leaders and members were arrested and executed, and the National Liberation Army was virtually obliterated as a group. However, a few members survived, and they are currently trying to get the shattered group together, with little success. These political parties, eager to play an active role in politics, put their support behind Mercton and provided funds and assets.

So far, everything was going as according to plan. Finally, Mercton smiled and leaned back on the couch, placing his legs on a small table in front of the couch. It was only a matter of time....…

Edited by JEDCJT

Everything was nearly in place.

After extensive negotiations, Mercton had managed to get the majority of New England’s military generals, commanders, and officials on his side. The same went for many Navy admirals, captains, and personnel in the Department of the Navy; many personnel in the Department of the Air Force, including but not limited to Air Force commanders and pilots, were also on Mercton’s side. Only Robert M. Gates and a few others remained blissfully unaware of the intrigues that were taking place behind their backs.

The majority of the New Englander Congressmen in both houses of Congress were in favor of Mercton’s plan [they kept it a secret, of course], and so were the Governors of the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine—though governors and officials of other states were aware of Mercton’s plan [and they did their best to keep it a secret from the FBIS].

True to his word, Erich Mielke did his duty, managing to convince many low-ranking and high-ranking FBIS officials to support Mercton or at least to stand aside. Only J. Edgar Hoover was kept in the dark, for the conspirators knew he would blow the whistle on the plot if he found out. Many police departments in the country were persuaded or bribed to do the same as stated above.

Evaluating his level of support, Richard Mercton could only smile with satisfaction. He now had more than enough forces to make his plan a reality. Given all of the Army commanders supporting him, Mercton commandeered, at least theoretically, a total of 700,000 troops as well as 40,000 soldiers of the FBI Division and at least 30,000 soldiers of the Kommissazul. At least ninety out of one hundred and five squadrons of the Air Force were on Mercton’s side, and as were about fifty-seven out of sixty-six ships of the Navy. Considering the tremendous forces at his disposal, Mercton thus decided that once his plan was underway, he was going to make Fort Farnum his headquarters.

Thanks to the support from businesspeople, industrialists, bankers, and now investors, Mercton was swimming in money, literally and figuratively. Due to the efforts by the J Andres political parties and the J Andres Federation of Industry, as well numerous J Andres companies and corporations, Mercton had all the resources he needed to make his plan a success.

Maintaining constant communications with Ben Richards, Mickey Bethesda, Joel Brunel, Donald Carcieri, and Roger Ahmadinejad, and other important players in strategic areas across New England—and supported by his parents—Mercton knew his plan was now poised for action. What was called Operation [b]HOMECOMING[/b] was to be launched. Soon.

OOC: Sorry if I seem to be rushing this, but I'm anxious to get this done. Assume the peace terms have been already finalized, as in the other thread, and Johnson and his government have seen the writing on the wall and disappeared (probably to Asia or something). So, bear with me. Also, hope you will like this. :v:

IC:

As soon as the news filtered out about the peace terms, Richard Mercton smiled. Picking up his iPhone, he dialed Ben Richards. “[i]Begin Operation HOMECOMING.[/i]”

With these three simple words, it began. It was to take place in phases, beginning with Rhode Island and Washington, F.D.

Operation [b]LAUNCHING PAD[/b] was initiated. Army soldiers and FBIS Divisions commandeered by supporters of Mercton (to be called the Merctonists) were to capture the FS capital of Washington, F.D. as to preempt any potential responses and to clear the way for the takeover of the country. At the same time, Governor Donald Carcieri was to “secure Rhode Island” for Mercton as per the plan.

[center]---[/center]

In Fort Washington, located at the outskirts of Washington, F.D., tens of thousands of troops under the command of General William Bradbury—who had declared his support for Mercton and kept in communication with the J Andrean—marched out of their barracks, got into Humvees, and warmed up their engines, prepared for the task that they were going to do. With hundreds of Abrams and Panther tanks at their disposal, Bradbury’s forces converged upon Washington, F.D., where they overwhelmed the New Englander garrison there. Cruising through the city’s streets, the Merctonist troops began to occupy any and all government and strategic buildings; the White House and the Capitol building were occupied first, followed by the Navy Yard. There was a brief skirmish between New Englander and Merctonist troops at Fort McNair, located to the south of Washington. Faced with threat of artillery bombardment, the New Englanders at Fort McNair surrendered. Post offices, railroad stations, and communication centers were occupied in turn; the entire Metro system was shut down by the Merctonist troops. The Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, the rest of the National Mall, and other historic monuments were garrisoned by Bradbury’s troops. The old Pentagon building, located in northern Virginia was quickly occupied and soon most of northern Virginia was in Merctonist hands; all airports in the FD area were occupied and shut down, all their staff and workers arrested and detained (they would be later released).

[center][img]http://forum.apan-info.net/Spring_02/jpeg_lg/A-2.jpg[/img][/center]

The universities were a different story, however. Attempts by the Merctonists to take over them were repulsed; the students and faculty of Georgetown University rallied together to resist the “invaders”. They hastily built fortifications and prepared themselves for a battle. The same went for Gallaudet University (OOC: my university). Armed with nothing more than knives, metal poles, and a few guns, the students managed to beat back a large force that were attempting to take the university. They barricaded themselves into the university and prepared for a siege. The dorms were turned into “fortresses”, and so were several buildings within the campus. The same occurred in other colleges and high schools all over Washington, F.D.

Desiring to erase their humiliation of being “trounced by a bunch of college hippies”, the Merctonists rearmed themselves, brought in reinforcements, and mounted huge counterattacks against the universities. Utilizing artillery guns and even bombers, the Merctonists eventually overwhelmed the defenders, inflicting heavy casualties. The battle of Gallaudet University raged on for hours as student defenders and Merctonist troops fought each other across the dorms, classrooms, computer labs, and even the campus grounds. One particular group of defenders led by a student named J. Thomas Christopher [OOC: Guess who this is? :awesome:] managed to hold the Merctonists at bay for hours; before scattering, Christopher’s group had managed to inflict heavy casualties upon what they called “traitors.” Soon, all of the colleges and universities in the city were taken.

Following the regular troops, the converted FBIS Division troops proceeded to arrest and detain any and all loyalist (these supporting New England) New Englander troops, police officers, and FBIS officers. Merctonist Army soldiers and FBIS Division troops stormed the J. Edgar Hoover building, the headquarters of the despised FBIS. Any and all loyalist FBIS officials who resisted were shot while these who did not were detained and imprisoned. However, J. Edgar Hoover was nowhere to be found (the same went with Lyndon Johnson and his government), and subsequent interrogations of captured FBIS officials went nowhere. Sporadic battles broke out throughout the city as the loyalist and renegade troops traded fire; however, the latter, with superior numbers and firepower, triumphed. Soon, the Merctonists were completely in control of Washington, F.D., cutting it off from the rest of New England.

[center]---[/center]

At around the same time Merctonist forces were taking over Washington, F.D., the Merctonists in Rhode Island acted. Taking the initiative, Governor Donald Carcieri ordered the National Guard to seize any and all federal bases in the state. Joined in by Army and Kommissazul troopers, the National Guards occupied all Army bases and installations, naval bases and shipyards, and air force bases (AFBs) and installations (such as fueling and supply depots). The Merctonists also occupied any and all other strategic buildings, such as communication centers, railway stations, and post offices, along with others; they were now in control of all military facilities. Civilian and military satellites linked to their centers in Rhode Island came under their control. In a speech in Providence, Carcieri declared his support for Mercton and proclaimed the “[i]union now subsisting between Rhode Island and other States, under the name of the ‘Republic of New England and hereby the Federated States of America’…dissolved.[/i]” One of the military bases first occupied by the Merctonists was Fort Farnum.

Walking into the base, a grinning Richard Mercton declared Fort Farnum to be his headquarters. Augmented by New Englander technology, Fort Farnum soon became a communication hub between Mercton and his forces on the field. “[i]It feels like home again.[/i]” Mercton remarked to Ben Richards as he sat on a leather swivel chair in Fort Farnum’s Briefing Room.

Having secured Rhode Island, and thus Fort Farnum—thanks to Carcieri’s efforts—Mercton renamed Summerfield to Endor Cuidad, as it was known before, and proclaimed it the capital of his yet-to-be-named regime. Both Endor Cuidad and Fort Farnum was to form a “nucleus” of the rebirth of a republic that Mercton, along with many others, knew and loved. But, however, the takeover of Rhode Island was not without opposition; a few scattered loyalist Army units throughout Rhode Island, particularly in and around Warwick and Providence, attempted to resist the takeover. They were ultimately defeated by overwhelming forces; Merctonist aircrafts and missiles were used to devastating effect in the battle near Warwick.

[center]---[/center]

With the capture of Washington, F.D. and secession of Rhode Island, Operation LAUNCHING PAD, and in turn HOMECOMING, was a smashing success—even though the latter was far from over. The capture of Washington, F.D. effectively neutralized the FS national government and virtually brought upon its collapse. With the apparent disappearance of President Lyndon Johnson and his government, the FSA’s collapse was all but inevitable. But even so, several loyalist armies were still on the field, and Mercton was now intent upon their either conversion or failing that, destruction. The next task for the Merctonists was the capture of the city of Boston, for practical and symbolic purposes. As a center of New England, Boston posed a potential beacon for the New Englander loyalists to rally to—and Mercton aimed to eliminate that. And so, several armies—consisting of Army troopers, National Guard, and Kommissazul—led by General William Horton rumbled on toward Boston from their bases in western Massachusetts [the area had been quickly taken over the same time the Merctonists were launching their assault on Washington, F.D.]. However, as expected, the battle for Boston would not be an easy one.

In the former capital, the situation devolved into a fierce battle as Horton’s 70,000-strong troops and hundreds of Abrams and Panther tanks took the field against a far-smaller force (30,000 men) led by General Sean Ramsey, who remained loyal to New England and the FSA. The Massachusetts State House, as well as other strategic government buildings, was “heavily fortified” and had to be wrestled from the loyalists after hours of exceptionally heavy fighting that left much of the city’s center in ruins. In addition, the Merctonists had to fight their way through the Boston’s streets, incurring heavy casualties; destroyed remains of tanks littered the city’s streets as the troops advanced forward. Only their numerical superiority (and missiles and aircrafts) turned the tide of the battle in their favor, and soon the loyalists were reduced by ferocious artillery barrages into isolated areas, then into pockets of resistance, and finally eliminated altogether. It was estimated as many as 20,000 troops on both sides were killed, wounded, or captured in the battle. A countless number surrendered, throwing their arms up. As in Washington, F.D., all post offices and communication centers were occupied and Boston was cut off from the rest of the world—but New Englander patriots set the city’s harbors and wharves blaze before retreating; they also blew up most Army fuel depots, bases, installations, and other buildings. Any captured loyalists were detained; General Ramsey, however, was executed.

[center]---[/center]

Perhaps fortunately for Mercton, the battles for Washington, F.D. and Boston were the only bloody parts of Operation HOMECOMING. As per their secret agreements with Mercton, governors of Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine followed Rhode Island’s lead and seceded from the Union. As in Rhode Island, the National Guard of these states was used to secure control of all military bases, installations, and any place of strategic value. What happened there was basically a repeat of Rhode Island. Next, the governor of New York, David Paterson—in deference to Mercton—declared the secession of New York State from New England and the FSA, but only as a third party. They did so not because they wanted to join Mercton’s regime but because they had other ambitions in mind. Mercton, through his extensive connections, knew this and supported it; he simply was not interested in administering New York, especially the “Big Apple”. He thus entered into negotiations with various New Yorker leaders regarding possible New York independence. In a session, Mercton promised to sign a defense pact with whatever regime that propped up in New York upon her independence.

[center]---[/center]

With the secession or capture of six states—Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine—Mercton had succeeded in his core objectives of Operation HOMECOMING. These six states were to be formed into a federated republic centered in Endor Cuidad that would fly a certain Anchor flag. In Washington, F.D., the senators and House of Representatives members of these states began packing up for their journey to the new capital. They were to meet in the upcoming Commune [a legislative body that Mercton was planning to establish]; their meeting place was the magnificent Commune building in Endor Cuidad.

[center][img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061025185122/cybernations/images/6/6a/Commune.JPG[/img][/center]

As for the remainder of the states remaining in ‘New England’, Mercton managed to persuade the senators and HR members to convince their states to “[i]turn themselves in to[/i] [Mercton’s regime].” Following such revelations, governors of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware declared for Mercton and turned over control of all Army soldiers within their borders to Endor Cuidad. Maryland and Virginia followed, possibly due to the threat of Merctonist military actions from occupied Washington, F.D.; West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky, following their sisters’ lead, seceded from the Union and turned over control to Mercton. The Maritimes states of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland did the same. Army soldiers and National Guard units were used throughout the regions to maintain peace, law, and order; any loyalists were rounded up or eliminated through scattered battles and any “acts that disturbed the peace”—as in rebellions, uprisings, protests, demonstrations, sit ins, etc.—were promptly dealt with.

[center]---[/center]

Once the territories of Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, and Wisconsin were occupied by pro-Mercton troops stationed within their borders, Mercton now declared the establishment of a “National Commune Protectorate” over all the New Englander territories that did not include the states within the borders of Mercton’s regime. Throughout the protectorate, Army soldiers, National Guardsmen, and Kommissazul units were used for policing the region, and a resemblance of daily life was restored (interestingly, life under Mercton was considerably freer than it had been under the FSA). The once-feared FBIS was gone, swept away after the Merctonists occupied Washington, F.D.—but despite so, massacres occurred when scattered and disoriented FBIS troops and officials, often acting on their own initiative, committed atrocities against the civilian population. The Merctonists mercilessly hunted them down when they arrived. Any FBIS official or soldier captured would face justice.

For the large part, Mercton had succeeded. North America, or at least the lands that used to constitute the former New England, was entering a new age, one under Mercton and J Andres. However, it should be noted that Mercton’s regime had not been officially declared yet: it had no functioning government (yet), no official name, a relatively disorganized military controlled from a single military base [Fort Farnum], a shrunken economy, and had a far smaller land area than its predecessor. In short, Mercton’s regime was a rump state, effectively a military dictatorship. Many of the New Englander institutions—if not political and government system—had either fallen into disrepair or swept away. But despite so, the regime’s infrastructure was largely intact, still possessed the vast majority of New England’s technology, commandeered a powerful military, and boasted an effective [if a little unconventional] police force. A huge task now laid ahead, one of rebuilding.

It was a task that Mercton would embark upon with all his energy and determination.