L'Union fait la force - Eendracht maakt macht

Karl Martin

[i]Brussels[/i]

The sole location of Dietsland that had not been annexed, the citizens of Brussels did not want to be absorbed into any country. Brussels was teh symbol of Flemish and Walloon pride, and the protection of this pride was of most importance. Some of the leading citizens pentioned Germany for allowing them to form a separate state.

Upon receiving the confirmation, a large basket of waffles and chocolate was sent to the Kanzler.

-Public Message to the World-

The city of Brussels, along with the French-Speaking Communities, is now a independent and sovereign nation. We are a peace-loving country, and hope that we, as small as we are, can be a contributing member to the European Community.

The Belgians were right, why move out of Walloonia. "Belay those orders commander turn around and guard our areas." The orders of the French army were rescinded and forced garrisoned once again in Walloonia. They had been confused by the statement of pride from those in the city, but after hearing those statements and that Brussels had effectively been changed into a city state. This was better for everyone.

[quote]
[b]To: Chancellor Dierik Martens of North Germany

[i]Mon Ami,

I hope this letter finds you well Dierik and I can only imagine the fatigued state that you are in over the present troubles surrounding the Netherlands following the collapse of the RSSN. In light of this we have seen the assassination of many of the Royals of the House of Orange-Nassau by those ungodly fascists, it is true, the world we live in is filled with villains of the worst kind and they should be dealt with. Therefore I believe that the rebellion that is taking place in Brussels at the moment, must be put down with all haste. However, instead of asking you to do this for me, I would like to come to a deal with you and your people. A split of the RSSN protectorate between the historic nations of Belgium and the Netherlands. You of course would annex the Dutch and I, the Belgians who can then decide their own fate at a later time. It is clear that they cannot function for themselves. Therefore as soon as I receive your notice, I will move my army into Belgium to secure it and end this rebellion in Brussels. It is clear that the world does not accept them and to be honest, France does not accept their legitimacy either. Murderers should not be given the benefit of the doubt.

Sincerely,

Therese Zelle[/i]

[/quote]

The people in Brussels were somewhat astonished at the hostilities of the world. They had just gotten rid of that insane Flemish nationalist and manged to keep most of the remaining Walloon people and culture intact, and yet almost no one seemed to recognize it. They'll be knowing soon enough how wrong they are.

Brussels, and the Walloon majority within it, could count on one thing: Germany was most likely not going to give up Flanders. No matter how much the French would possibily ask their neighbors for what was an artifical entity known as Belgium, it was almost certain that the request would be denied. Things could change, of course, but until then....

[quote]
[b]To: Prime Minister Therese Zelle of France

[i]Bondjoû*

As a new city state, Brussels wish to have cordial relations with the great nation to our south.

The irrational hostility of the world as been a deep burden upon us. The Walloons here have barely managed to survive the purges of the fascist Staf De Clercq, and now we are free from the clutches of the criminals. Yet, for some reason, most still believe that we are closely related to the racists. We hope that France can see through this false view and be willing to meet up.

As the Minister-President, I wish to have an audience with you, so that any misunderstandings can be resolved.

Sincerely,

Charles Picqué[/i]

[/quote]

* Walloon for "Hello"

Edited by Karl Martin

Therese chuckled as she received the letter from the Minister-President of the newly independent city-state. "My my, they must have premonition on their side or perhaps even want to last. Kill the House of Orange-Nassau and then everything seems to be alright, we have a new government now." Sighing she tossed the letter aside and shook her head at Adelaide. "So much for bringing Belgium into our hands eh?" Adelaide shrugged still nursing the wound she had received in Paris a few weeks before. "He wants to have an audience of course."

"Send him over, maybe at least we'll have the nice little enclave of Brussels within our territory." She laughed.

"Nothing would be more delightful."

[quote]
[i]
Excellency,

Your letter of course greets me with a sense of pride for your people, of course I will not lie to you, I have very little faith in the governments that have been professing their independence from the former RSSN territories. However, I will be happy to give you a chance to make your case of why Brussels as an independent country is different from that rebel scum known as De Clercq. You may come to Bordeaux for a meeting with myself and a few of my advisors on the future of your city state and from there France will decide what kind of relations we will be having with your people. Until then, good luck and god speed. We await your arrival in haste.

Sincerely,

Therese Zelle[/i]
[/quote]

[i]Is there no justice? Please, Martens, if only I could reach you. I'd tell you to kill every single one of those leaders. Butchered, they need to be.

At least the world appears to finally have some sense about them. Here's to continued nonrecognition![/i] Saviri finished his tea.

One huddle seemed to have been cleared. With haste, Picqué got on a plane to Bordeaux.

[i]Bordeaux, France[/i]

Picqué was led to the office of Zelle. Facing the [i]Premier ministre[/i] and her various advisors, he started speaking.

"Thank you for allowing me this audience. I shall not disappoint.

To understand the complex history of Brussels, one has to go back to when Brussels was turned from a Flemish-speaking region to a Walloon speaking region. This has made the Flemish nationalists very angry, since they always believed that Brussels should be Flemish.

This brings us to the recent Dietsland movement. De Clercq was a Flemish nationalist, bent on unifying all of the Dutch peoples and regaining Brussels. As you would know from the massacres in French Flanders, for him anyone who were unloyal were to be killed, and similar bloodbaths were also committed within Brussels against the Walloons. For the concept of Dietsland, all non-Dutch people and obstacles were to be eliminated, and it could have succeeded if it weren't for his untimely death. The Germans and we have purged all the Fascists from the city*.

Our plans is to be a peaceful city, neutral if possible. We have had enough problems with wars, and we wish to develop."

* Reference from [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=84658&view=findpost&p=2275496"]Martens[/url]: The French-speakers were then acknowledge as being "None of Germany's business."...they had, after all, repelled the fascists on their own. Martens was in no hurry to invade and then annex the land. He'd leave them to their own devices.