Authenticating Nation Info

Olreich

I'm not looking for a full identification route, but rather I am interested in knowing if I can, through external programming, check if a ruler name exists on CN. Is this possible without breaking the EULA by auto-logging-in and navigating to the nation link?

The [url=http://www.cybernations.net/terms.asp]Cyber Nations Terms and Conditions of Service (TOS)[/url] (at number 7) reads:

[quote]7. [b]By using this service you agree not to access Cyber Nations with any other programs than web browsers.[/b] Such other programs are in particular so called "Bots" as well as other tools that replace the web interface. The same applies to completely or partially automated scripts or programs that cause increased server loads. You must agree to not, under any circumstance, run automated scripts of any kind against this website. Browser add-ons are generally ok as long as they do not cause increased server loads or present security issues.[/quote]

If you're planning to use a "browser extension" that replicates what you'd be doing manually (e.g.: finding if/what Nation is associated with a certain Ruler name, copying its ID and pasting it in some external table) you should be fine. If you're planning to use an automated bot that runs against the site completely replacing the browser, then you'd probably be breaking the TOS (as far as I understand the issue).

[quote name='Olreich' date='26 April 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1272347613' post='2277063']
Indeed, in a limited capacity it does. Would it be possible to check which Nation ID is associated with said ruler name?
[/quote]

As far as I know, the "check availability" option does not tell you what nation ID, just that it isn't available.

Edited by Sakura

Scripts cannot perform any actions for you in-game. Since your proposed script automatically logs you in and performs searches (which count as actions) it is not allowed. Forms of allowed computer accessories generally involve processing HTML pages obtained manually but not actually interacting with CN directly. For example, if you performed the search manually, clicked all the links manually, and then copied the information to your script to process it away from CN, that would be allowed.