Recovering Old Toys

Triyun

The unmarked C-130 plane touched down in Fiji quietly filled with several men in their thirties and forties. They were all carefully chosen. Bi-lingual in english with a distinct North American accent and Chinese with a Beijing accent. This Fiji military base had been Greater Pacifica's for a long time, but they still knew the lay out quite well. Few things had changed.

"Men, your orders are to speak in english whenever possible. You are too interact with soldiers as little as possible here. If the person you meet doesn't have a pair of stars on his shoulders, you are not too ask questions. We are contractors for a new catering system. Understood?" he asked.

"Yes sir!" they all said rising too attention.

"Building seven sub basement will be the main area we'll be working out of. There is an entrance to main frame 2 there. We'll begin the upload project there." he said. "Move out."

[quote name='iamthey' date='27 April 2010 - 07:18 AM' timestamp='1272345463' post='2277004']
OOC: Just to head off others, I am aware of this and approved it. Kthx :v:
[/quote]
OOC: Only I'll call shens if he actually wants to recover stuff that's been there for 50+ years (according to your RP) without upkeep and stuff. :V

[quote name='Lynneth' date='27 April 2010 - 06:25 AM' timestamp='1272345912' post='2277016']
OOC: Only I'll call shens if he actually wants to recover stuff that's been there for 50+ years (according to your RP) without upkeep and stuff. :V
[/quote]

OOC: Good point :P, I think he is going for things like designs, files/records, and random dusty prototypes though. At least thats how I imagined it.

[quote name='iamthey' date='27 April 2010 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1272346449' post='2277030']
OOC: Good point :P, I think he is going for things like designs, files/records, and random dusty prototypes though. At least thats how I imagined it.
[/quote]
OOC: Only problem is, CDs, DVD, hard drive et cetera deteoriate after that long a time. They'd be nigh unreadable. That's the bad thing about modern media, they don't survive very long.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='27 April 2010 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1272346919' post='2277040']
OOC: Only problem is, CDs, DVD, hard drive et cetera deteoriate after that long a time. They'd be nigh unreadable. That's the bad thing about modern media, they don't survive very long.
[/quote].

OOC: We're talking about main frames in vacuum sealed rooms, they would not deteriorate nearly at the same rate in a vacuum with no light source on them.

[quote name='Triyun' date='27 April 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1272364767' post='2277222']

OOC: We're talking about main frames in vacuum sealed rooms, they would not deteriorate nearly at the same rate in a vacuum with no light source on them.
[/quote]
OOC: That's more reasonable, though bacteria could still attack the aluminium and other materials used in building that stuff.
As long as they weren't running all that time.

OOC: Basically we are talking about an underground facility that was sealed off when the bases in Fiji were lost by the UFE. Its been sealed this entire time and operated the standard air filtration system you'd expect in such an underground facility. Even if left completely unmaintained it should be able to function fine, or if there is a problem it'd be with minimum repair or loss of data.

OOC: Problem with sealing stuff in, without proper maintenance, any system will break down eventually regardless of how well it was made. Vacuum seals first and power first (no power plant goes that long without refueling), which in turn kills air filtration. With the seals broken, water and contaminated air could get in, thus allowing bacteria inside. There's a million factors why this complex should be half-flooded now, especially because it's on an island, where you have aquifiers.

[quote name='Triyun' date='27 April 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1272387268' post='2277399']
OOC: Its my understanding that the base never fell out of service. On top of that, something which has a vacuum seal generally stays sealed by the vacuum itself.
[/quote]
OOC: So nobody ever thought of removing all that stuff and putting it into use? Right, very likely. Any sane man would've put that stuff into an actual archive where it'd gather dust.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='27 April 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1272387777' post='2277413']
OOC: So nobody ever thought of removing all that stuff and putting it into use? Right, very likely. Any sane man would've put that stuff into an actual archive where it'd gather dust.
[/quote]

OOC: Too bad that never was rp'd.

[quote name='Acca Dacca' date='27 April 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1272387496' post='2277405']
OOC: So you stumble upon a base that is left in check with a bunch of goodies that only you are made aware of?
[/quote]

OOC: What makes you think it was a stumble?

[quote name='Lynneth' date='27 April 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1272391165' post='2277459']
OOC: And when was this base with what's in it RPd? I require links.
[/quote]

OOC: The airbase was established here http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=44953

[quote name='Triyun' date='28 April 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1272414319' post='2277865']
OOC: The airbase was established here http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=44953
[/quote]
OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=42831&view=findpost&p=2278184

OOC: I guess the lesson we should all take from this is that its better not to try to actually attempt to RP continuity. Instead one should just shamelessly copy and paste their old tech posts as 'new' innovations and avoid the mess entirely. <_<

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='iamthey' date='28 April 2010 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1272430578' post='2278201']
OOC: I guess the lesson we should all take from this is that its better not to try to actually attempt to RP continuity. Instead one should just shamelessly copy and paste their old tech posts as 'new' innovations and avoid the mess entirely. <_<
[/quote]
OOC: The lesson is you shouldn't use posts from more than a year ago where the player hadn't even RPd the base being finished because that's just silly.
Continuity is fine. Taking things that were never RPd finished and saying they're done isn't. :V

Also, Triyun probably couldn't use most of that stuff, anyways, as his tech - 200 - is good enough for cold war stuff.

OOC: Or it could be that terms are about to end and my tech will leap frog forward and I would be RPing over a few weeks retrieving it.

But instead, I'm just going to recover the tech from Palintine as I own the territory and I gave Hawk all of it when I quit rather than RP a story line, I used the base in a lot of operations but I'll just do this rather than go dumpster diving for your !@#$% and giggles.