Crazy times in UCN

[quote name='darkfox' date='25 April 2010 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1272251016' post='2275394']
Yes it was primarily government that had left.

I am sure there were other reasons though. I was not here at the time.
[/quote]

Government, quite a few active members, and the admin of the forums.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TheFlyingLobster' date='26 April 2010 - 03:51 AM' timestamp='1272250280' post='2275361']
The membership fully supported this merge 110%. But after UCN decided on a suggested name and flag, and FEAR rejected it, it all went down the drain. We spent a good week trying to figure out a new name to suggest, and every time we got one. Someone would object, and because of democracy, we'd have to start again. Eventually, after a week, it was too much.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='26 April 2010 - 03:57 AM' timestamp='1272250651' post='2275381']
This is why democracy is no good.
[/quote]

I find it almost impossible to disagree. After my time in MCXA, it became obvious to me that Democracy's although "nice & cute" do often fail and complicate simple matters. Like a good friend of mine once said---"democracy is nothing more than a popularity contest".

I'm sorry to hear that a merger which would have benefited both groups failed because people could not agree on a name.

Democracy = Overrated
KingEd being Emperor = Awesome

:smug:

Good luck going forward. Governments be damned, it is the people that make the community, if you all want to be UCN, you go be UCN.

I am pleasantly surprised by the actions of many of your allies in this trainwreck of a sitation. Good show people.

Also, GOONS??!!! FFFF arn't you guys supposed to be something aweful or something... nice move.

The UPN supports UCN's efforts, and would like to announce that we have signed a new treaty as a token of that support.

[quote]
[center]
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080504161629/cybernations/images/f/fe/Amazingglobeflagv3refined_copy.png[/img]
[img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/Hansarius/UPN/PurpleFlagwithouttext-1.jpg[/img]
[/center]

Friends to the table
A United Purple Nations and United Commonwealth of Nations Mutual Defense, Optional Aggression Pact

Harm shall not come

Neither signatory shall engage in any type of warfare against the other. Neither signatory shall engage in any type of warfare against any alliance that the the other signatory is obliged to defend without a separate treaty mandating a declaration of war.

Secrets not be kept

Each signatory agrees to share all intelligence that pertains to the security and well-being of the other.

Harm to come to friendless men

If either signatory comes under attack for any reason, then the other will declare war upon the aggressor.

Aggression moves to strike

If either signatory declares war on another alliance for any reason, then the other signatory has the option of declaring war as well.

Not till death may part

Should either signatory wish to withdraw from this treaty, they must give the other 120 hours notice. "Harm shall not come" stays in place for 35 days after the treaty is dissolved.

Signed for United Purple Nations

Prime Minister- Peggy Sue
Minister of Foreign Affairs - SirDelirium
Minister of Internal Affairs -NORAD
Minister of Defense - Greene345
Minister of Communications - DeadflyProductions

Signed for United Commonwealth of Nations

DarkFox (Head of State)
Lewiscowper (MoFA)
Joamer (MoD )
Erik (MoI)[/quote]

Edited by SirDelirium

Glad that UCN holding together through this storm. Seeing previous government bail is pretty pathetic. But judging by the opinions put forth, you can't have a gov that hates it's membership. Even in a democracy, strong leadership is necessary. It takes patience and compromise, and sometimes it takes using force of personality to push legislation ahead if things stagnate. Running away is weak.

Good luck. I have high hopes for you all and especially now that Darkfox has come back to lend a hand for a bit.

[quote]So now that we have successfully made UCN the biggest laughing stock in CN its time for some seriousness. A few days ago merger talks with FEAR failed. The failure caused many of the govt to lose the will to lead the alliance and they then left to start anew.[/quote]

I wasn't laughing before but now I am.

[quote name='Kzoppistan' date='25 April 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1272263928' post='2275775']
Seeing previous government bail is pretty pathetic.
[/quote]

For the last time, the government didn't bail. The alliance failed and they declared it over, but one member, along with "fifteen others" decided to stay. Even if majority rules, as is supposedly true in democracy, the alliance still folded as 15 out of 100 is not a majority.

Edit: And the only stagnation there was came from members not caring enough to be democratic. We tried for three months to get people onto the forums to vote, to voice their opinions and care, but they couldn't take 30 seconds to click something and leave. The inactives, the ghosts and the trolls are the reason for UCN's disbandment, not the government. Given time, we would have unveiled our plan to rebuild UCN, but we weren't really given a chance. I had left for a speech tournament, and MoSW was couped. Poor show on the part of the members, in my opinion.

Edited by Ernesto Che Guevara

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' date='26 April 2010 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1272248963' post='2275308']
Once again, this is NOT what happened.

We did NOT leave because of the merge failing. The merge failed because we left. Get it right. None of you "insiders" were actually "inside", so instead of acting like children and playing the guessing game, shouting out random stuff and going "OH YEAH, SAY THAT NOW!", act like the adults most of you pretend to be and wait for facts.

As of my last intel (about 45 seconds ago), the name UCN will not be used in the new alliance.

Edit: Darkfox wasn't "In retirement" as he suggests, but had actually left the alliance.
[/quote]

You can't stop them using the name if they wish. UCN will live as it always has, with the support of its allies. Just becasue u continue to say it is dead does not make it so.Your power to decide anything for UCN stopped the momnet u remmoved it from your AA. The membership, who as a democracy u where there to serve, have decided. Now would be a good time to step back with good grace and let it go.

I see 55 people remaining on the AA of the 64 quoted to me 4 days ago as the current memebrship. I'd say that is a pretty clear mjority vote for UCN to contiue.

o/ UCN

May it equal and better it's past glories.

Edited by fluffyewunga

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' date='26 April 2010 - 04:57 AM' timestamp='1272268610' post='2275803']
For the last time, the government didn't bail. The alliance failed and they declared it over, but one member, along with "fifteen others" decided to stay. Even if majority rules, as is supposedly true in democracy, the alliance still folded as 15 out of 100 is not a majority.

Edit: And the only stagnation there was came from members not caring enough to be democratic. We tried for three months to get people onto the forums to vote, to voice their opinions and care, but they couldn't take 30 seconds to click something and leave. The inactives, the ghosts and the trolls are the reason for UCN's disbandment, not the government. Given time, we would have unveiled our plan to rebuild UCN, but we weren't really given a chance. I had left for a speech tournament, and MoSW was couped. Poor show on the part of the members, in my opinion.
[/quote]

Sounds pretty weak to me, man. Trying to rally the membership and provide direction IS the challenge of being in gov. Of course it's frustrating sometimes and it feels like you're herding cats when none of the members see eye to eye. Hashing it out, using persuasion and finding compromise is hard, especially in a democratic setting. But to leave en masse just because you don't know how to build consensus in a group sounds childish. So you took your ball and ran away, causing the merger to fail and entire alliance to start packing their bags in a sense of confusion and sadness. Well, they are probably better off without you.

I don't mean any offense, and I'll take your word that the difficulties you faced were pretty serious, but I can't agree with how your splinter group handled it. As ex-gov, my motto was and still is, "if even a single person wants to keep our alliance alive, it's my duty to serve the alliance in what ever capacity it takes to see that dream realized." I hope you have more stick-to-it-ness in your new alliance than you did in the last.

Anyway, best of luck, UCN, you know where we're at if you need us.

Edited by Kzoppistan