An Ordinary Man

Margrave

*France, the Chateu Du Pompador*

It was quiet in the Chateu, a chilly night in a most European climate. Within one of the private studies stood a straight-backed figure, flipping through the pages of a book, eventually settling into a chair. Leafing through, he settled on T.S Elliot's "The Wasteland", and began to read. After all, one couldn't call oneself a Poet if one didn't have an appreciation for the art. But alas, it was not to be; merely moments after he started to devour the words, he recieved a page from the Lady. Adjusting his silver mask, he stood, laying the book softly upon the table next to him; it was a first edition after all, and he had a love of such classics.

Moving through the shadows of the Chateu like a ghost, he dismissed thoughts of art as he approached the solid oak doors of the Lady's study. Suprised to find it slightly ajar, he entered in, senses heightened...he had not lived as long as he had by forgetting to be cautious. His hand had just moved to his side-arm when he felt arms encircling his torso. Forcing himself not to twist and (attempt) to break his "attackers" neck, he turned slowly, he wrapped his arms around her, allowing the stiff formality to flow out of him. Here, at least, with her, he was safe. And so was she.

"You know I don't like suprises, mes ami...but it's nothing important. I didn't think you wanted to brief me until tommorow, but if the word is that good, I can deny sleep a few hours longer...it's not like I sleep much anyway."

Edited by Margrave

The fire still burned in the hearth of the study, albeit dimly, barely able to illuminate even the area around which the Countess sat with her legs crossed a book resting on her black dress. Besides this struggling light, the rest of the room was darkened, though she had been able to hear the whine of the door and the familiar footsteps approaching her from across the hardwood floor, then silence before she felt arms gently wrap around her neck. She smiled and yawned letting the man behind her talk for a moment before patting his hands and telling him to draw back for a moment. Sighing, the Countess closed the book on her lap and placed it on the table next to her whilst she picked up the glass of wine and pressed it to her lips, the liquid dancing around in the cup even as she put it back on the table.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I did." She leaned back on the chair and stretched her arms before yawning. "And after all, its not if you don't like surprises, its making sure that everything here runs like clockwork." It was funny that she said something like that, because the only other thing that could be heard in the room aside from the crackling of the fire was the ominous rhythm of the ebony clock across the room. "The preparations have been made for my travels tomorrow correct, I don't want the hassle of trying to get everything ready as I had to do to meet the South Germans. But, to be honest I didn't expect you to respond to the page at all, this was a pleasant surprise really, but please sit." The Countess reached over and poured a second glass of wine for the guest. "Keep me company until I retire, I don't get the chance to have relaxing nights anymore."

The man in the mask chuckled. "Of course. I arranged things myself. Your security will be...discreet, to say the least, and the location has been screened for any possible unpleasantries." The man eased off his mask with one hand, sighing contendedly as he settled next to her. Placing a hand lightly on the back of her neck, he massaged it gently, feeling the rigid muscles tense, and then relax. "You're very tense tonight. I would advise an extended bath with those salts I bought in the city, it's really quite relaxing." He placed both hands on her shoulders, trying to work the kinks out slowly, without pain. "You've done a great deal in the short time we've been in this country. Me, I can barely keep my French straight in my head, while trying to keep things properly placed around here. Still, I cannot complain. I woke up last night and realized I was in France, and I could barely sleep but to think of all the beauty and the history of this country I have left to explore. I hate to sound the naive tourist, but by heaven, we talked of France and Europe so often in our youth, and now we're here? I've been suppressing the urge to pinch myself awake! But surely you have some things on your mind that are keeping you from bed or [i]really[/i] relaxing. Care to talk about it?"

The Countess mused, smiling a bit at the man's naivety, to be honest, this country wasn't much different than many other countries in the world. Yes, it had an extensive past and a promising future, though likewise so did many. It had been a stroke of luck that her entourage had gone across Africa to Carthage and from there to the Chateau's of France. Though the movement of the man's hands were nice as her head leaned forward, gently closing her eyes taking in the peace of the moment. "You should know that I am always tense, I've been tense my entire life, to think anything differently would be wrong. As to the bath, either you or Jess or one of the servants can attend to make it up, there isn't any rush and..." She looked back at the clock through the darkness. "It is still decently early, there isn't any need to fall over ourselves."

She continued letting him relax her shoulders, a slight coo coming from her mouth before she sat back on the chair. "For France and Europe, a beautiful country and a beautiful continent. Neither of which will last, though I believe Europe for the first time in its history has been saved from war for an extended period of time. Which is almost shocking. For being tense though, we have done a great deal yes, but we have not done enough and there is still much more work that needs to be accomplished. Many more people that have the same dream or that can help make my dream a reality, to remake the world as it should be remade. To control both order and chaos, unity and war, because after all. If history has taught me anything, a country is most vulnerable and most susceptible to chaos when in peace and perhaps if people can understand the desire to get along. Someone has to remind them otherwise. There is more to this world than treaties and wars and to be able to control the balance of order and chaos, that is a great thing indeed. So its not so much that I'm tense my dear, more that I am anxious. Anxious of what has to be done and what is to come."

He chuckled. "You're still the idealist I fell for, you know. Perhaps abit more realistic in practice, but the hope is still there." He cracked his neck, idly trying to loose his own aching muscles. Slipping back into the comfortable plush, he knocked back the wine in a quick gulp, a terrible thing to do to the Countess's favorite vintage, but he needed the tension in his back to ease up. It was his own fault, of course; no one made him keep up his sword practice, or his exercises, or his training the the Countess's guards. But other than manage the logistics of her travels, and serve as her guardian, what else did he have to do? He was looking forward to the chance to get out there and do the real work that she was planning. But for now...he wrapped an arm around her shoulder, offering his own shoulder as a place to rest her head. Unthinkable in public (the Lady's image must be maintained) but this house was safe enough that no one would see her relax.

"In case it interests you, I've settled on a new pseudonym. Since we are going with this "Poet" motif, I thought the name of my favorite writer would be good...I think Eliott will serve well enough, here. It's abit too English, but I don't think I could fake a truly native French accent to save my life anyway." He ruffled his hair with his fingers, brushing away the random strands that fell in his eyes. "We'll do good things, here. I can feel something...a shifting of fate, perhaps. This may become the point in which history finally turns back towards the light. But enough of that; surely a Countess in a foreign land should make arrangements to reveil her self to society? When things get abit more controlled, we could arrange a ball...something to really talk about. And it would serve to establish your credibility as a mere Lady of Society, of course."

The Countess gave an unpleasant groan at Elliot's mention of aristocratic society and rejoining public life, she didn't care much of her credibility anymore or her image. Her dressing reflected that, still fashionably elegant and Victorian, but all black, a grim reminder of the decay of her past idealism. "I would rather keep society away as much as possible, society normally gets in the way of my planning. The good things that I would rather see done, does not involve my interaction in society, however I have no problems if you would hold a ball Elliot, though I assure you, I will not be attending." She chuckled. "I'm quite happy surrounded by the people that I know and trust and who are going to be able to help me recognize this dream."

She chuckled and picked up her head from the man's shoulder if only for a moment. "I wear my veil for a reason Elliot, because society doesn't need to know who I am. Only what I plan to do."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='25 April 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1272229061' post='2274781']
The Countess gave an unpleasant groan at Elliot's mention of aristocratic society and rejoining public life, she didn't care much of her credibility anymore or her image. Her dressing reflected that, still fashionably elegant and Victorian, but all black, a grim reminder of the decay of her past idealism. "I would rather keep society away as much as possible, society normally gets in the way of my planning. The good things that I would rather see done, does not involve my interaction in society, however I have no problems if you would hold a ball Elliot, though I assure you, I will not be attending." She chuckled. "I'm quite happy surrounded by the people that I know and trust and who are going to be able to help me recognize this dream."

She chuckled and picked up her head from the man's shoulder if only for a moment. "I wear my veil for a reason Elliot, because society doesn't need to know who I am. Only what I plan to do."
[/quote]

Eliott ran his fingers through her hair, suprised by how much the little gestures meant so much to him. "I understand. We've had enough of high society for the moment. I confess to be content to merely be here, continuing our work together. I see so much potential here...and with the right input on our part, this country can be the turning point for mankind." He shifted, content with her warmth beside him. "But ideals aside...I like this, what we have right here. Here, we have the option of being the people we've always wanted to be. Aside from these cloak and dagger operations of ours, this shift out of the eye of the world has birthed a strange kind of freedom. It's unfortunate that you are still bearing more of the difficulties, but still..." He shook his head. "What we have here, in this...home, between each other...it means a great deal to me. This, more than ideals, is what keeps me focused on our mission."

"Well." She yawned and closed her eyes as the fire finally began to die out. "I'm glad that you're able to focus because of me, helps me rest easier. As for society and this country, to be brutality honest, I don't care one way or another. All countries die out eventually, they may last for hundreds of years, but eventually they change and the countries that replace them. While they may be the same in word, they are not the same in soul. History has told me that in great respite. If the country has potential, let them develop it on their own, not with help from a shadow source. We have our mission and it is not to favor one country or another, it is to create equality and chaos, that is the new strand of freedom."

The Countess yawned again as she pushed her feet down to the floor and stood up. "Nevertheless, Elliot, thank you for bringing me company tonight and preparing the travels for tomorrow." She leaned down and kissed him gently on the lips before walking to the door. "Make sure that everything is smooth before you retire for the night and I will expect you to wake at sunrise for my departure. Have a good night." With that she left the study as the last flame of the fire vanished at her departure.