Port International Discussion

Acca Dacca

A Carthaginian messenger had arrived to alert Louisiana's Vice Chancellor Gabriel Valcoste to meet with the King and Queen of Carthage if he has the time to step away from overseeing prepares.

The message stated:

[quote]Greeting, my country has been hoping to meet with you to discuss the possibility of establishing a relationship considering our border surrounding Port International. We do hope to see you soon as we visit Port International this day.

Thank You,
King Muhammed VI of Carthage[/quote]

Queen Juli had briefed King Muhammed in the hours before the Vice Chancellor's arrival on several points which would need to be reiterated to Louisiana:

Port International was intended to always be held by the Republic or her successors, in this case Carthage
While Louisiana occupies the area it was in agreement that if needed Louisiana would leave; sovereignty is in the hands of the Republic or her successors, in this case Carthage
The base was due to be expanded for the allowance of other nations but the assassination months earlier had delayed

"Let us hope that Louisiana understands that we allowed them to be here as long as we had control over how long they could stay. I do not wish them to leave, but if they wish to press the issue to actually own the land they would be going against the understood agreement."

"I believe they do understand that, and that is why we are here. So that we can reestablish a relation and make this nothing less than beneficial factor for both of us. With an ally so far away, their stay here would increase their involvement in any military affairs we may need them or they may need us for. "

At that moment, the Vice Chancellor walked in.

"Greetings, I am King Muhammed of Carthage, and this is my lovely wife and Queen of Carthage, Juli. Let us simply say that we welcome your stay so long as we share common interests. What do you plan on doing with Port International?"

Gabriel grinned as he replied, "Directly to the point, you're my kind of man. Louisiana will be doing what we have always done with our base in Port International, we will continue to use it as a military base to support our friends in the region, as well has using it as a haven for a few government members to ensure their safety should a nuclear attack ever wipe out the government in mainland Louisiana. We would like to continue the lease agreement that we had with previous administrations, though we will understand if you choose to terminate the agreement."

Well, first we wish to see if we can become one of the friends that you desire to support in this region. We feel that if we share the same kinds of friendships with those in this region, it will bring a better chance of you maintaining this agreement. Which friends do you speak of?

"Louisiana's greatest concern is the continued safety and security of our ally, Northern Republic's state of Monaco. Beyond that, Louisiana has friends in Spain, Sicilian League, Italian Federation, and of course, Carthrage."

We respect many nations in Spain and all in Italy. I'd find it silly if anything were to come between the Northern Republic and Carthage, so I hope my Queen agrees with me in saying we'd respect and document that asks us to defend Port International and vice versa. I must also ask, should the Port be home to any WMDs, I'd hope that we would be made aware of this in advance. So close to home, we wouldnt really want that kind of trouble unless of course there is a need for it. Where do you stand on other African nations? We wouldnt like to see someone make home where on our continent if there is restlessness with those who actually live there.

"Should WMDs be stored in Port International, Carthrage will be informed through secure channels. Unfortunately, Louisiana has no friends and a few enemies in Africa. It seems, despite Louisiana's help in the latest war with Nod, that many African nations do not appreciate us."

[quote name='Acca Dacca' date='25 April 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1272244979' post='2275190']
No problem at all. Would you be willing to write something up that measures the relationship you wish to share. We will respect your decision.
[/quote]
"Write what up, exactly? As you are no doubt aware, Louisiana is currently involved in the midst of a war, so any military treaty with Louisiana, at this time, will bring in the other party into the middle of a large war. That, is something, that would probably not be in your countries best health."

We thank you for looking after our nation, but we are very capable of doing that ourselves. If you are willing to defend us, we can do that for you. However, if you do not require our declaration, then how about an Optional Defense Pact? After the war, we woul be able to expand.

OOC: Sorry, didn't realize I needed to respond here.

IC:

"An optional pact would work for Louisiana, until the war ends or our friendship is more firm. If your diplomats will draft a treaty, I will look it over and send it to the Chancellor for his signature."