IRON Dispatch

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Zambaman' date='21 April 2010 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1271830442' post='2268904']
Infact in the beginning we were far from neutral from what I can recall; !@#$, we very nearly joined in on the fun in GW1 :v:

Can't believe it's been four years and the alliance is still going. Good work guys.
[/quote]

We did! Thanks to legion and ODN

Wow guys it’s been 4 years. As long as I have been here IRON has been one of the best alliances on Bob. You have always been and forever will be a friend. There has never been a time I could not come to you for help and counsel. Keep on doing it your way IRON because you are doing it right. :wub:
o/ IRON

[quote name='dvdcchn' date='21 April 2010 - 03:03 AM' timestamp='1271833386' post='2268965']
We did! Thanks to legion and ODN
[/quote]

IRON didn't join GWI... In fact the first global conflict that IRON joined was the Unjust War IIRC. You can't really count the first FAN war because FAN had no support vs the whole world but let's not stray off topic here.

[quote name='Cynic' date='21 April 2010 - 03:43 AM' timestamp='1271835795' post='2268980']
IRON didn't join GWI... In fact the first global conflict that IRON joined was the Unjust War IIRC. You can't really count the first FAN war because FAN had no support vs the whole world but let's not stray off topic here.
[/quote]
That's an arbitrary distinction to make. If the war was actually between "the whole world" and someone else then it would be truly global, while the Great Wars (having many neutral alliances, such as IRON) were not truly global.

Part of the problem is the "neutral" terminology no longer really applies as it once did (where there was the League and Pacifica/WUT and if you didn't choose you were neutral). Obviously the GPA was just as independent as IRON was during the Great Wars, and even afterward. Just as IRON in the FAN war exercised their sovereignty as an alliance to join a war they had little pressing interest in, the GPA exercised their sovereignty to not get involved. "Unaligned" might be a better description for the alliances generally considered "neutral", but maybe "independent" should be taken back from IRON by the true indies.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 April 2010 - 03:53 AM' timestamp='1271836397' post='2268984']
That's an arbitrary distinction to make. If the war was actually between "the whole world" and someone else then it would be truly global, while the Great Wars (having many neutral alliances, such as IRON) were not truly global.[/quote]

If we're going to debate semantics there were alliances that didn't join the war against FAN, hence meaning that the war was not 'global'. In fact there hasn't been a single war (Other than perhaps GWI though I am not 100% sure on that) where every alliance has been a participant.

I'll amend my previous statement though and say that the UJW was the first large scale conflict that wasn't completely one sided that IRON participated in so that my statement is accurate.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 April 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1271836397' post='2268984']Part of the problem is the "neutral" terminology no longer really applies as it once did (where there was the League and Pacifica/WUT and if you didn't choose you were neutral). Obviously the GPA was just as independent as IRON was during the Great Wars, and even afterward. Just as IRON in the FAN war exercised their sovereignty as an alliance to join a war they had little pressing interest in, the GPA exercised their sovereignty to not get involved. "Unaligned" might be a better description for the alliances generally considered "neutral", but maybe "independent" should be taken back from IRON by the true indies.
[/quote]

To be fair, there were some tensions between IRON and FAN, among other alliances, so we had some interest in the war. As far as independence is concerned, we made the decision to sign MDP+ treaties at that point because we felt that remaining largely unconnected in international politics was limiting our choices to do as we wished. Without treaties, any war that we joined where we didn't simply tip the scale the other way would be considered a bandwagon, especially by today's standards.

Also, as true independence is freedom from the control or influence of others, there aren't any "true indies" on this planet, as everyone can be put under the influence of another person via war, or threat of war (to make sure to not forget peace moders). If by true indies you're referring to alliances like GPA who don't have any binding treaties about the DoN, then you can see my argument in the paragraph above or MCRABT's argument earlier as to why neutral =/= independent.

Yay for four years! Looking forward to many more!

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 April 2010 - 03:50 AM' timestamp='1271818235' post='2268639']
As Lord Brendan points out, that's not what atonement means. But we all [i]understand[/i] what happened - you were independent when it was easy to remain on the fence, but you saw the NPO as clear winners over the League and signed up for vassalage. I'm not sure how you plan on "atoning" for that (though it's clear you don't intend to because you don't know what the word means).
[/quote]

Actually that is nothing at all like what happened, and of all the things in our history if I was going to apologise for something it would not be NPO et al rolling The League. We stayed out of a conflict that we had absolutely no stake in so go figure. It was easy to stay independent of the conflict because we had absolutely nothing to gain by entering it. As for treatying ourself with NPO, it made perfect sense, they were a powerful alliance who had always in our experience remained friendly to us, when we had the likes of GOONs and FAN talking about rolling us for !@#$% and giggles, allying ourself to the most powerful alliance on the planet made perfect sense and helped ensure that IRON could exist independent of foreign oppression. As for being a vassal the only evidence you have for that is your own stereotypes. If you want to judge us then perhaps you should get some first hand experience of us first.

The word atone was used in the wrong context? so what? Have you got a question to ask or are just here to be a pedantic? Really some people must live boring lives.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 April 2010 - 04:28 AM' timestamp='1271820520' post='2268708']
So what is IRON doing to "atone" for a past that they "remember" and "celebrate"?

They could atone for being terrible writers, I guess.

[img]http://209.85.62.24/351/68/0/e527198//e527198.gif[/img]
[/quote]

You could atone for raining on our birthday parade. It's our fourth birthday and we will redefine any word we god damn please ^_^

[quote name='Venizelos' date='21 April 2010 - 05:06 AM' timestamp='1271822764' post='2268757']
i hope you will always find someone's lap to comfortably lie on!
[/quote]

I hope you will always remain this hate filled, that you are still bitter you didn't cut the paygrade in IRON still fills me with endless laughter, furthermore you demonstrating why you didn't cut grade is truly delicious. :wub:

[quote name='Zambaman' date='21 April 2010 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1271833790' post='2268968']
:huh:

From what I recall IRON stayed out and declared neutrality?
[/quote]

That is correct. :)

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 April 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1271836397' post='2268984']
That's an arbitrary distinction to make. If the war was actually between "the whole world" and someone else then it would be truly global, while the Great Wars (having many neutral alliances, such as IRON) were not truly global.

Part of the problem is the "neutral" terminology no longer really applies as it once did (where there was the League and Pacifica/WUT and if you didn't choose you were neutral). Obviously the GPA was just as independent as IRON was during the Great Wars, and even afterward. Just as IRON in the FAN war exercised their sovereignty as an alliance to join a war they had little pressing interest in, the GPA exercised their sovereignty to not get involved. "Unaligned" might be a better description for the alliances generally considered "neutral", but maybe "independent" should be taken back from IRON by the true indies.
[/quote]

I'd like to correct you on a few points in your post, firstly IRON did have a pressing interest in the FAN war. FAN had repeatedly threatened IRON and had openly discussed rolling us for something to do. Coupled with their constant hostile nature and dismissive tone toward IRON, IRON had every reason to believe FAN was a present danger.

As for the part about "neutral" alliances may as well be called "unaligned", that is woefully dismissive of the bonds between individual players in an alliance. Just because an alliance chooses not to involve itself in world politics does not allow for you to negate the comradeship present between the individuals that make up that alliance.

Edit: spelling

Edited by MCRABT