IRON Dispatch

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dvdcchn' date='20 April 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1271817205' post='2268613']
Things happened, they were part of our world then. We believed they were the best for the republic. An apology would say "my bad" atonement would say let's understand what happened and move forward IMO
[/quote]
As Lord Brendan points out, that's not what atonement means. But we all [i]understand[/i] what happened - you were independent when it was easy to remain on the fence, but you saw the NPO as clear winners over the League and signed up for vassalage. I'm not sure how you plan on "atoning" for that (though it's clear you don't intend to because you don't know what the word means).

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='20 April 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1271815163' post='2268555']
Blue Steel Concords, no? With Halsa gone I believe it is now the oldest active MDP.
[/quote]
I've been led to understand that there was something long before that that pre-dated the "no treaties" independence. Not sure any records exist of it or not, don't think it was ever publicly disclosed, but there was one (allegedly, supposedly, so the really old people say).

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='20 April 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1271817532' post='2268625']
That's not what atonement means. To atone for something means to make amends for it. You can't really make amends for something without recognizing that what you did was bad.
[/quote]
One doesn't have to apologize to make amends for past wrongs. In any case, it seemed pretty clear that they simply they won't go blabbering on in public about how sorry they are, they're just moving on and dealing with it on their own. Much better and more productive, if not as viscerally satisfying for the crowds.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='20 April 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1271818235' post='2268639']
As Lord Brendan points out, that's not what atonement means. But we all [i]understand[/i] what happened - you were independent when it was easy to remain on the fence, but you saw the NPO as clear winners over the League and signed up for vassalage. I'm not sure how you plan on "atoning" for that (though it's clear you don't intend to because you don't know what the word means).
[/quote]
That's not what happened at all, actually.

[quote name='Heft' date='20 April 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1271819469' post='2268671']
One doesn't have to apologize to make amends for past wrongs. In any case, it seemed pretty clear that they simply they won't go blabbering on in public about how sorry they are, they're just moving on and dealing with it on their own. Much better and more productive, if not as viscerally satisfying for the crowds.[/quote]
So what is IRON doing to "atone" for a past that they "remember" and "celebrate"?

They could atone for being terrible writers, I guess.

[quote]
That's not what happened at all, actually.
[/quote]
[img]http://209.85.62.24/351/68/0/e527198//e527198.gif[/img]

[quote name='Ejayrazz' date='21 April 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1271811835' post='2268488']
Five points to the person who knows IRONs' first MDP treaty (Whether secretive or not)
[/quote]
Why I do! It was an MDP signed with the Orange Protection Alliance! It was mutually cancelled about a month later when we adopted our independence route and they decided to go properly neutral.

[quote name='Heft' date='21 April 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1271819469' post='2268671']
I've been led to understand that there was something long before that that pre-dated the "no treaties" independence. Not sure any records exist of it or not, don't think it was ever publicly disclosed, but there was one (allegedly, supposedly, so the really old people say).
[/quote]
We did make announcements, so it may be on the old forums but I'm not sure if the archives go back that far.

EDIT: It should be noted that Bakunin of NPO was the first diplomat to our forums, but I think ODN got to our existence thread first. Take of that what you will.

also
[quote name='dvdcchn' date='21 April 2010 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1271800629' post='2268247']
when we were originally formed, we were a neutral alliance
[/quote]

Dammit DVD, what is this blasphemy. I haven't had to do this in a long time but we're independent dammit, not neutral!

Edited by Shan Revan

[quote name='Venizelos' date='20 April 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1271822764' post='2268757']
i hope you will always find someone's lap to comfortably lie on!
[/quote]
Venezelos, ever bitter that Iron would not promote him to a position he thought he deserved.
Happy Birthday Iron.

[quote name='Cynic' date='20 April 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1271806197' post='2268387']
I look back upon my time with IRON in my last playthrough and cannot help but be nostalgic. I don't know many of you now but those who were around during my tenure there were some of the best comrades that I ever had the honor to serve with.

Although I disagreed politically with some of the decisions that were made after my departure I still consider you old timers some of the most classy and dignified people that I have met. I am not surprised to see IRON still here after 4 years and would not be surprised if they are still around for four more as long as the old guys steer the new guys in the right direction.

Ferro Credimus my dear old friends from your former brother in arms,

Furytear.
[/quote]

I always knew you were around somewhere. Good to hear from you.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. :v:

[quote name='Shan Revan' date='21 April 2010 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1271821402' post='2268728']
Dammit DVD, what is this blasphemy. I haven't had to do this in a long time but we're independent dammit, not neutral!
[/quote]
Infact in the beginning we were far from neutral from what I can recall; !@#$, we very nearly joined in on the fun in GW1 :v:

Can't believe it's been four years and the alliance is still going. Good work guys.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='20 April 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1271817532' post='2268625']
That's not what atonement means. To atone for something means to make amends for it. You can't really make amends for something without recognizing that what you did was bad.
[/quote]
They're paying reps. (Or are going to, at least). I don't think I've ever seen an alliance do more than that after they lose a war.