Proclamations of the Countess

Sarah Tintagyl

[center][img]http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/b/bl/blason_famille_it_sforza.svg.png[/img][/center]

[center][i]A Proclamation by Order of Her Grace, La Bella Contessa Caterina Sforza of the Romagna[/i][/center]

My People,

The Romagna Region lays at this point in the World's History as becoming one of the premier powers of not only the Italian Peninsula, but dare we challenge the order of the world and lay claim to world power as well. However, I get ahead of myself. In the recent months since the death of my husband Giralomo, our County, while small has advance further than I ever felt possible and our society must do everything in its power to develop as well. To begin with, the economic situation of the world is most dire. The collapse of Genoa and Venice as the lead merchant states of the world has left their monopolies opened to the first nation that can take advantage of their losses, we intend to be this nation. In Forli, Bologna, Ravenna, and Imola, Merchant Guilds have been erected each of which will do everything in their power to manipulate the trade routes of the world and feed them back into Italy. Specifically, our cities. Already we have begun to benefit from their work and wealth from our brothers and sisters in Milan pours into the Romagna coffers. However, my people, imagine when the wealth of the Orient rests in our hands like it did with the Venetians, that is when we will know truth economic power. But the Merchant Guilds will continue to flourish and continue to allow a birth of wealth for all of the state to enjoy.

Continuing on, I have allowed the creation of what may be one of the first Welfare Systems from the coffers of my own Estate. This creation, known as the White System, will be a move towards Collective Love and Good Will for all peasantry and artisans. Upon falling on hard times, you may apply to receive the aid of the White System, a tax will be introduced in all cities to pay into this fun and I will donate substantial amounts of my own wealth as well. Together we can make life better for our poor, for our homeless, and so when the people enter into Forli or Bologna, unlike cities to the North and South, they will see a city that is cared for by the state and which pays the state in turn with work. All applicants to this program will be immediately drafted for labor work by the Minister of State to account for their stipend. As such, taxes will be raised by 5% to pay for this new tax.

In addition to social and economic advancements, if the Romagna is to join the great nations of the world then our system of networking between ourselves must also improve. With use of our military and an increase in tax once again to afford these developments. A series of paved roads of stone, much like was done in Roman times will be paved between the cities of the Romagna. These projects are not anticipated to be done for a long time, most likely many years and the tax must be raised 3% more to compensate for this. However, once our road projects are done. The time it will take to travel between Ravenna, Forli, Bologna, will be greatly lessened.

The economic sacrifices that we make here My People will be nothing compared to the success of our state in the future. Already our ships set sail across the Mediterranean for the Orient, whilst your Countess serves diligently to expand and secure our state.

Viva La Romagna!

A Written Message, dispatched by Sir Adem Toussaint, By Rider:

[i]"To the Countessa Caterina Sforza, With Wishes of Strength and Wisdom, I, Sir Adem Toussaint of Normandy Write These Words.

"Your Grace, though we are little established in our homeland, my father Roger Toussaint, High Lord of Normandy, has dispatched us to seek our fortunes abroad, in order to strengthen our nation. It is to my honor that I have been sent, and am now traveling to, Italia, where I expect to find employment for the services that I offer. Though there may be many a rich lady or lord, ruler or king with designs to employ our men in their defense, I have heard of you and your great nation even from a distance, and thus wish to offer my own person and those of my host to your service. We are blooded men, having taken back our lands from oppresive men, and wish to find such a one as could keep us busy and endowed with good fortune, such as we might win for your Grace. I and my men ride hard even now towards Italy, stopping only to resupply and observe our God's Day of Rest. If Your Grace finds this offer to your liking, send a message back with my man, and you shall find yourself in posession of my own person and fifty picked men, Knights and Men-at-Arms, with our own kit and horse.

May God Favor You,
Sir Adem of Caen.[/i]

"Mercenaries?" Caterina eyed the rider with a bit of suspicion. "They had better know that loyalty goes further than just money and if they come to the Romagna, their loyalty lies with the House of Sforza and the Countess of Forli. You tell this Adem he better know this when he comes to my land." She took out a piece of stationary and her quill. "You can send this back to Sir Adem."

[quote]

[i]To His Honor, Sir Adem of Caen.

I have bid your rider welcome to the city of Forli and exclaim my welcome to your band of fifty knights. However, while I have no problem with your arrival in the Romagna, I should tell you that mercenaries while an effective fighting force are at first distrusted and given the opportunism of Europe and of Italy, before I will treat you as my brother or my cousin, I must know that your loyalty to me and to the House of Sforza lays greater than a simple coin of gold or silver. With the eventual expansion of the Romagna, your services I am sure will be useful in the future and my plans for the rise of my state are as vast as the Mediterranean itself, if you can offer me the chance to make those dreams a reality, you will find yourself as one of my most favored servants. Needless to say, I look forward to seeing your entrance to Forli and from there I can @#$% what kind of Knight you truly are and your service to my person.

I wish you well on your travels Sir Adem and your arrival in the Romagna.

Her Grace Under God,

Caterina Sforza, Countess of the Romagna[/i]
[/quote]

Adem read the letter in the saddle, slowing down after weeks of hard riding. He was covered in grit and sweat, he and his men, but he would show himself appropriately attired when the time came. Looking over its contents, he laughed. "Well, the woman has spirit, I'll give her that. We'll see if she really has the authority and power she thinks she does."

*Some time later, in Forli*

After spending several hours cleaning their gear and making themselves presentable, the small host made its way through Forli, heads held high, their simple grey plate mail cleaned to a shine. In parade order, the Knights and Men-at-arms made their way through Forli, eventually encountering a greeting party sent to guide them to the palace of the Countessa. With a few polite words, they were on their way, making good time. Adem found himself anticipating the meeting...what kind of woman was this, really?

"Madonna Caterina?" Tommaso Feo opened the door to her quarters slowly and bowed his head as he entered. "Your Grace, my apologies for bothering like this, but the contingent of Norman Knights is parading through the city towards the citadel. The ones led by Sir Adem of Caen. They are requesting an immediate audience with your person. If you would oblige them."

Caterina nodded as she stood up from her desk and walked past Feo at the door. "Allow them entry into the Great Hall, I will receive them there and see the loyalty of this new knight for myself."

"Of course Ladyship, right away."

Adem and his knights were then allowed into the Castello Rivaldino where they were guided by Caterina's guards towards the Great Hall, where the Countess sat near the back of the room on a small throne, the banner of the Sforza Household hanging proudly above her. Her golden hair hung low down her back, her face was rouged, and the scent of perfumed herbs came from her person, whilst her eyes, a dark azure color, stared intensely at the young knight. Entrancing him forward. "So I finally am able to meet the fame Sir Adem of Caen and in my own palace too." She said standing from her throne and walking forwards towards him and his knights. "You do me great honor by coming here Sir Knight, but really? What is the nature of your visit to the Romagna? To hire yourselves out? To fight for a greater purpose and honor?" Caterina said pointing at herself. "Or perhaps there is a plethora of reasons for such a venture." She now stood right across from Adem and put her hand on his cheek. "Needless to say, I am always looking for knights to serve my state, and loyalty, I promise you Adem, will be rewarded."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='21 April 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1271870570' post='2269259']

Adem and his knights were then allowed into the Castello Rivaldino where they were guided by Caterina's guards towards the Great Hall, where the Countess sat near the back of the room on a small throne, the banner of the Sforza Household hanging proudly above her. Her golden hair hung low down her back, her face was rouged, and the scent of perfumed herbs came from her person, whilst her eyes, a dark azure color, stared intensely at the young knight. Entrancing him forward. "So I finally am able to meet the fame Sir Adem of Caen and in my own palace too." She said standing from her throne and walking forwards towards him and his knights. "You do me great honor by coming here Sir Knight, but really? What is the nature of your visit to the Romagna? To hire yourselves out? To fight for a greater purpose and honor?" Caterina said pointing at herself. "Or perhaps there is a plethora of reasons for such a venture." She now stood right across from Adem and put her hand on his cheek. "Needless to say, I am always looking for knights to serve my state, and loyalty, I promise you Adem, will be rewarded."
[/quote]

Not well schooled in the political arts, Adem still had the grace not to stiffen when she touched his face...though the slight blush was a give-away, all the same. With only the slightest change to his tone, Adem moved back (the fact that she was his height meant he needed space, since he didn't have the height advantage) and bowed slightly. After all, she was technically of higher rank than he, as most figured these things, and he had been schooled in civility if not politics since his childhood.

"If you will allow me the indulgence of an introduction? My Lady Countessa, I am Sir Adem Toussaint, son of Roger Toussaint, who now rules Normandy from his throne in Caen. We are a people given to studying the arts of conflict, and our..present financial situation after over-throwing our godless, corrupt former Duke has put us in a mind to use our skills for business purposes. After considering the...current political landscape, we have found Italia to be the best place to begin our business. But trust is a precious commodity, and few of these...present states seem to garnish it with any haste. Having heard of your country, I decided it would be best to start here, for it seems you have much to gain...and from what little I have heard on my way here, you have a reputation for...victory, in the strange political world you southerners weave, and I believe that, with the services I can provide, you would be able to translate that into military victories, ones that are unhindered by foolish, unblooded generals or restraints that kill the ally and leave the foe alive and laughing. I bring to your service myself, fifty Knights and men at arms, all blooded and proven. We think little of titles and lands; our men are judged and given standing by their ability. Were I to gain more men, from home or from here, it would be the same. As for your questions of loyalty...my loyalty belongs to God, my men before you, and the ruler who has the conviction and strength to do what must be done. My presence here implies that I believe that ruler to be you."