Brandenburg

loannes

**Private**
Berlin, Brandenburg

Markus von Beckenbauer was a young scribe, who took down the orders of the good Margrave Friedrich II. He knew, firsthand, how difficult it was to copy down volumes and words with a simple quill, ink, and parchment. It took a long time just to make one copy of a book, let alone a dozen. And so, he spent his free time pondering how he could make his work, and that of other scribes, easier. When he came upon a screw press...a smile came to his lips, and his brain was set into motion.

**Private Message from Margrave Friedrich II to Commandant Merten von Niklaus**

I have enclosed a list of reforms for the Brandenburgian Army. I want you to ensure that this is applied to the current army, and any future troops raised for the Army.
Gott mit dir.
[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54488/140/277F417E77B39E891C2DD603AC29A261.png[/img]

Edited by Drakedeath

Today, Margrave Friedrich II made a number of announcements regarding the internal workings of Brandenburg. The main points are listed below.
[list]
[*]The tax rate will be set at 28%
[*]Work will begin on a Great Monument to commemmorate the past Margraves and Electors of Brandenburg
[*]Starting this winter, a Citizen's Assistance Program will begin, where the government shall pass out extra blankets and clothing to those that require it in the cold, bitter winters
[*]A Merchant's Guild will be established under Ritter von Schwarz
[*]Work will begin on improvement of all Brandenburgian roads
[/list]

**Classified**

"Form up, let's go!" a tall, well-armored man with a goatee said, clapping his hands. He was a low-ranking nobleman, tasked with training the Brandenburgian army in its new tactics. He had before him twenty crossbowmen, a hundred Pike of the Line, two hundred musketeers, ninety halberdiers, thirty cavalrymen, and ten longbowmen.

The soldiers broke into a jog. The pikemen ran to the center of the field, tightly packed, and kneeled down, their spears held to the right and firmly on the ground, and their shields positioned ahead of their bodies. The crossbowmen moved in front of them and kneeled, and the Halberdiers rushed to their flanks and stood. The musketeers formed up in six ranks behind the pikemen and remained standing, and the longbows stood behind them. The cavalry positioned itself on both wings, roughly parallel to the longbowmen.

"Enemy is moving forward! Longbows! Open fire!"
The longbowmen fired their bows at an arching angle.
"Crossbows! Open fire!"
The crossbowmen fired at some wooden targets at the other side of the field.
"Enemy in range! Muskets, fire!"
The first rank of musketeers fired, then ran to the back to reload. The second rank fired and ran to the back. After each rank had fired twice, the nobleman called, "Enemy infantry closing! Musketeers! Quickly! Double line, final volley, all at once!"
The musketeers reformed into two ranks of one hundred, leveled their muskets, and fired.
"Crossbows! Fall back!"
The crossbowmen stood and withdrew through the pikemen.
"Pikes! Rise!"
The pikemen raised their spears to point directly up, and used them to stand.
"Pikes! Level your weapon!"
The pikemen lowered their spears and held their shields next to the pike; a phalanx.
"Contact! First line!"
The first line of pikemen thrust with their pikes.
"Second line!"
The second line thrust with their pikes.
"Cavalry! Enemy cavalry approaching! Charge!"
The cavalry on each side surged forward, firing their pistols and readying their lances.
"Halberds! Musketeers threatened!"
The half of the halberdiers on each flank broke off and set themselves near the musketeers.
"Cavalry defeated! Halberds, encircle!"
The halberdiers repositioned so as to be perpendicular to the pikemen.
"Cavalry! Final maneuver!"
The cavalry rushed to the gap left by the halberds, as if charging, and stopped short of their own pikemen.

The nobleman smiled. His men were learning quickly. It'd be a mere week, and they'd have mastered this tactic, and by the end of the month, most if it's variants.

[center][u][b][size="5"]Decree from Duke Friedrich II[/size][/b][/u][/center]

By order of the Duke, all travel to and from Poland is banned. The Brandenburgian borders are hereby closed to Polish citizens. This ban does not apply to Brandenburgian citizens. All nobles of strong Polish descent are to be detained by local officials until such a time that their fate can be decided. All people of strong Polish descent are to be removed back to Poland immediately.

Duke Friedrich II was cited as saying, "Brandenburg is part of the Holy Roman Empire. As such, only Romans should reside within our borders. Auslanders have no business being within our nation. Our nation should and shall pursue a pro-Imperial foreign policy."

**Classified**
The Army of Berlin has passed through Austria-Hungary and is now making speed towards Constantinople.

"A hasty declaration that shows such xenophobia of the German people of the north. Much of Europe lays beyond the borders of the Holy Roman Empire and for one state to have such Pro-Imperial Policies, we in the Romagna wonder...no...we pray that these policies will not drive the policies of other German states. Needless to say, it is a shame to see such closed mindedness in a time of new scientific and cultural advancement and the Romagna has taken note of Bradenburg's policies."
-Caterina Sforza

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='19 April 2010 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1271650275' post='2265842']
"A hasty declaration that shows such xenophobia of the German people of the north. Much of Europe lays beyond the borders of the Holy Roman Empire and for one state to have such Pro-Imperial Policies, we in the Romagna wonder...no...we pray that these policies will not drive the policies of other German states. Needless to say, it is a shame to see such closed mindedness in a time of new scientific and cultural advancement and the Romagna has taken note of Bradenburg's policies."
-Caterina Sforza
[/quote]

"Last I checked, women had no business associating themselves in the courts and politics of men."

-Duke Friedrich II

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1271652063' post='2265872']
"Last I checked, women had no business associating themselves in the courts and politics of men."

-Duke Friedrich II
[/quote]
"We are shocked by Bradenburg's hostility toward foreign nations and their comments toward the leader of Romagna. A women should never be spoken to in that way, and be given the utmost respect. Especially Caterina Sforza, as she is a pioneer for all women as she is in such a powerful position in such a powerful nation."
- King Leonardo Cubelli of Sardinia

Edited by maicke

[quote name='maicke' date='20 April 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1271722578' post='2267054']
"We are shocked by Bradenburg's hostility toward foreign nations and their comments toward the leader of Romagna. A women should never be spoken to in that way, and be given the utmost respect. Especially Caterina Sforza, as she is a pioneer for all women as she is in such a powerful position in such a powerful nation."
- King Leonardo Cubelli of Sardinia
[/quote]

OOC: Why does no one remember the first n? <_<

IC: "Poland is one nation, not plural. My comment towards Sforza was of the same strain as her own, but without the sweet outer layer."

-Duke Friedrich II

**Private**
"'King' Leonardo? Since when was an Imperial state allowed greater noble standing than the Emperor?" Friedrich asked disdainfully.

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='19 April 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1271725577' post='2267140']
OOC: Why does no one remember the first n? <_<

IC: "Poland is one nation, not plural. My comment towards Sforza was of the same strain as her own, but without the sweet outer layer."

-Duke Friedrich II

**Private**
"'King' Leonardo? Since when was an Imperial state allowed greater noble standing than the Emperor?" Friedrich asked disdainfully.
[/quote]
"I was referring to both your ban against Polish citizens and your comment toward the leader of Romagna. As Poland and Romagna are two different nations, I use the plural form of the word."
- King Leonardo Cubelli

OOC: My bad about the n in Brandenburg xD
And I'm glad you noticed that my leader calls himself 'King'.
I know that I am currently a member of HRE, by the way ;)

[quote name='maicke' date='20 April 2010 - 02:36 AM' timestamp='1271727380' post='2267178']
"I was referring to both your ban against Polish citizens and your comment toward the leader of Romagna. As Poland and Romagna are two different nations, I use the plural form of the word."
- King Leonardo Cubelli

OOC: My bad about the n in Brandenburg xD
And I'm glad you noticed that my leader calls himself 'King'.
I know that I am currently a member of HRE, by the way ;)
[/quote]

OOC: I know. My duke's just not happy at the idea of someone technically inferior (he's an elector) proclaim himself superior to the HRE, a Grand Duke.

IC: "Hm. My mistake. I'll rescind my comment if, and only if, the Romagnan leadership proves itself more than competent."

-Duke Friedrich II

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='20 April 2010 - 02:48 AM' timestamp='1271728064' post='2267191']
"Hm. My mistake. I'll rescind my comment if, and only if, the Romagnan leadership proves itself more than competent."
-Duke Friedrich II
[/quote]

"Says the ruler whose version of humanism barely reaches beyond the chaotic years of the past. A leader who purges people from his lands talking about competency? Please, spare me the comedy."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='20 April 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1271729045' post='2267218']
"Says the ruler whose version of humanism barely reaches beyond the chaotic years of the past. A leader who purges people from his lands talking about competency? Please, spare me the comedy."
[/quote]

"My inquisitors have been questioning the nobles taken into custody. Under no physical pressure, the Pole admitted to a plan for a pro-Polish uprising in Neumark, and helped us find a trail to support his statements. Whilst the Polish nobles had no contact with the Polish government, they were still a threat, having garnered the support of no less than half of the Poles living in Brandenburg. My original hunch, given by a regional Brandenburgian nobleman, was the basis of the action. My action was to ensure the security and prosperity of Brandenburg. The documents regarding the issue are now in our archives."

-Duke Friedrich II

**Private**
"Scribe, go forge these things for me," Friedrich told a scholarly looking German, handing him a list.
"Yes, milord."

**Private**
"Blast!" Markus von Beckenbauer grumbled, wiping ink off his sleeves. He wasn't quite sure how, but the press that stood in front of him had randomly squirted him with ink. Only reflexes prevented it from getting to his eyes.

Markus had been working for weeks on a way to use the screw presses to write things quickly, and the closest he'd gotten to writing was getting splashed by ink. He'd lost several good sets of robes to them. Normally, he'd be very angry, but Duke Friedrich found out what he was doing, and was happy to give him time off to work on it. Which, Markus had realized, meant the duke expected success, and if he failed to deliver, he would be facing the wrath of Friedrich the Iron.

Markus rolled his sleeves up once more and reached under the press, adjusting a few connections. He then activated it again, ducking. There was a stamp; Markus looked up curiously. The letter A was printed, lightly, on the paper. Markus jumped up, rejoicing. He was making progress. He activated it again, grinning eagerly, and received a face full of ink. Groaning, he wiped his face off. [i]This is going to take awhile,[/i] he thought.

[center][img]http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/c/cd/Flag_of_Brandenburg.png[/img][/center]
Recently, documents had emerged where the Polish nobles living in Brandenburg planned to revolt, and bring the province of Neumark into Poland. At the time, they seemed to have no connection to the Polish government. However, more documents have surfaced, and I am appalled; the King of Poland was personally ensuring that the Poles received arms, armor, and money, and was offering to send professional soldiers to train the Polish Brandenburgians to be real fighters. We find this treachery disgusting, dishonorable, and unforgivable. While it pains us to fight our brothers of the faith, the Duchy of Brandenburg hereby declares war on the Kingdom of Poland. May God have mercy on their souls, for we shall not.
[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54488/140/277F417E77B39E891C2DD603AC29A261.png[/img]

**Classified**
"Very nice jobs on these, Wilhelm," Duke Friedrich said absently, flipping through the fabricated documents. "Had I not ordered this, I'd have thought the Polish king had signed these himself. You are to be commended for this quality."
"Thank you, My Lord."
"Dismissed," Friedrich said, tucking the documents into his robe.
"Yes, My Lord."
"Sergeant," Friedrich called. A Sergeant At Arms entered the room.
"My Lord?"
"Retrieve my armor and sword. I ride to war. And then take these-" Friedrich took the documents back out of his robe- "to the dungeons. Place six of my personal guards around it, in full armor and armed to the teeth. When the war is won, I want these destroyed."
"Yes, My Lord," the Sergeant At Arms said, taking the documents and rushing from the room. He got the six guards and sent them down to the dungeons with the documents. The guards, in turn, locked the documents into a chest, and took up positions around it.

In full armor, Duke Friedrich the Iron marched out of his castle, and rode to join his army.

Two armies were set into motion; the Army of the Duke moved east to lead the assault, and the Army of Brandenburg moved to reinforce the border and support the Duke's army.

[center][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Bayern/AEIOU/Habsburgflag.png[/img][/center]

It is a sad day when brothers have to go to war against each other, but the cause is Just.
With a heavy heart, Austria and Hungary thus declare war against the Kingdom of Poland, honouring their alliance with Brandenburg.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/th_Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png[/img][/url]

*In the Emperor's halls*

"Prepare three armies to march into Poland, that this may be done swiftly."
"Yes, my liege. Which provinces shall we take first?"
"Whichever are the easiest to take. But make sure to take Krakow. It is an important city to them."
"Of course, my liege. Your Will be done."

Three armies, each with 6,000 men would be prepared and begin to march within the next two days, towards the Hungarian-Polish border.

Edited by Lynneth