Europa RP

loannes

Europa RP is an idea for a roleplay set in the fifteenth century, centered around Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Your nation will be based off of your IG nation and your own efforts. The start is fairly historical; the Holy Roman Empire dominates central Europe, and each nation should have roots in one of the historical nations. Preferably historically named. You can name it whatever you want, but it has to be serious, reasonable, and not silly.

The effectiveness of your military is decided by your nation’s tech. The tech scale is as follows. The numbers in parentheses indicates the years you should look at for tactics. If necessary, I’ll give one or two typical tactics for each group for reference.

[u]0-500 tech[/u]
Poor quality weapons and armor
Outdated Tactics (1300-1350)
Wooden forts
Catapults and ballistae for artillery
Max 5% of men armed with gunpowder

[u]501-1000 tech[/u]
Low quality weapons and armor
Recent, but not quite modern, tactics (1350-1400)
Wooden forts with stone supports
Primitive artillery
Max 10% men armed with gunpowder

[u]1001-2000 tech[/u]
Decent weapons and armory
Modern tactics (1400-1453)
Basic stone forts
Recent, but not modern, artillery
Max 30% armed with gunpowder

[u]2001-3000 tech[/u]
Good quality weapons and armor
Slightly advanced tactics (1453-1560)
More elaborate forts
Modern artillery
Some customization allowed
Max 60% armed with gunpowder
[u]
3000+ tech[/u]
Excellent armor and weapons
Advanced tactics (1560-1640)
Strongest forts
Advanced artillery
Customization on all things allowed
Max 100% armed with gunpowder

Your stats are derived from your in game stats.
Population = IG*5
Soldiers = Max IG/2
Garrisons = Max IG troops (CAN ONLY BE USED TO DEFEND TOWNS AND FORTS. Composed of militia, and less effective than soldiers)
Cavalry = Max IG Tanks
Artillery = Max IG Planes*5
Ships = IG ships, does not apply to landlocked nations

[u][b]Expansion[/b][/u]
The problem with past Alt-RPs was a lack of expansion control. You had people land grab, then get bored and never touch it again. In order to expand into white territory, you require a casus belli, whether it’s a forged document giving you a claim to the throne of the area, or a diplomatic insult. In order to further curb land grabbing, ‘Revolt Rolls’ will be held every week. There’s one roll for your ‘core’ regions, which are either your original lands, or ones held in excess of one month. Various factors will affect the chance of a revolt to succeed.

[u][b]Revolts[/b][/u]
Base (Taxes): 5%
High Taxes: +5%
War: +1% per RL day the war continues. Max of 20%
Policies: +5% per restrictive policy
If Recently Acquired: +30%
If Rome, Judea, or Moscow: +40% (locally)
If Mecca: +80% (locally)
Different Sect: +5% locally
Different Religion: +10% locally

The size of a revolt is measured in percentage of population in relation to the percentage of revolt risk. For each 5% of Revolt Chance, 1% of your population rises up in revolt. This does not affect your actual population. For example, if the local risk is 50%, then 10% of your national population rises up in revolt. Revolt chances are capped at 100% total.

[u][b]Religion[/b][/u]
At the start of your nation, you’re to RP the religion that was in that region at the time. Here’s a brief guide.

[u]Christian Faiths[/u]
Catholicism: Western Europe, Central Europe, Scandinavia, British Isles, Iceland
Orthodoxy: Eastern Europe, Balkans, Russia
Protestantism: Emerges in Catholic regions

[u]Islamic Faiths[/u]
Sunni: Northern Africa, Mediterranean coast, Anatolia, southern Russia, Arabia
Shiite: Persia, Caucasus

[u]Pagan Faiths[/u]
Animism: Central Africa, Western Africa

Conversion: If you come to control a province RP’d as a different religion, you will suffer the +5% or 10% revolt chance until you RP a conversion. The conversion RP should be more than a start and a finish; put at least one ‘slice of meat’ RP post in there.

Some events will give drastic effects on your nation. This is usually conquest of a holy city.
[u][b]Effects of Certain Events[/b][/u]
Fall of Rome to Non-Papal Catholic: +30% local revolt; all Catholic nations gain a Casus Belli on the conqueror
Fall of Rome to Heretics: +50% local revolt chance; all Catholic nations gain a Casus Belli on the conqueror
Fall of Rome to Muslims: +80% Revolt chance locally, Casus Belli for all Catholics on that nation
Failure to Reclaim Rome: Choose a new holy city. Disputes WILL occur
Fall of Jerusalem to Christians: +30% Revolt Chance locally, -10% revolt chance in all Christian nations
Fall of Mecca to non-Muslims: +80% local revolt chance, all Muslims gain a CB on the conqueror
Excommunication: +30% revolt chance, all Catholic nations gain a CB on the nation. Applies only to Catholic nations

[u][b]Treaties[/b][/u]
There are no ‘optional’ treaties in Europa RP. You will either make the commitment and keep your word, remain neutral, or betray your allies’ trust. The following treaties are available for signing.
NAP
MDP
MADP
Royal Marriage
Trade Agreement
Vassal Agreements
Unilateral Independence Guarantees

Royal Marriages, with heavy RP, may lead to a merge, officially a Personal Union. Your nations have the same foreign and domestic policies, acting as a single nation, but each person must RP his own military.

You may bail out of a treaty obligation, but all surrounding nations will receive a casus belli to punish your dishonor. Remember, honor was a big thing back then.

[b][u]The Papacy[/u][/b]
The Pope and Papal State are sovereign; they can do whatever in the rules they want. However, the Curia is open to influence. There will be 11 Cardinals. Each one will live for twenty years past inauguration. When one dies, a dice roll will decide who gets the cardinal. The nation with the plurality of sympathetic cardinals is Curia Controller. The Controller and Pope, if they agree, can excommunicate Catholic rulers. The effect of Excommunication is above, in the Certain Effects section.

[b][u]Holy Roman Empire[/u][/b]
The initial electors are historical. If an elector is annexed, or wiped, the other electors may vote on its replacement. If an elector is an NPC when an emperor dies, then a dice roll will decide who it votes for.

[u][b]Initial Land Claims[/b][/u]
Just cause the nation existed then doesn't mean you can take all of it. For RP purposes, powerhouses like France, England, Castille, and Russia have been broken down.

[center][img]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4401/update010.png[/img][/center]

[u]Current Nations - RPer[/u]
Arkhangelsk - Kevin Kingsell
Austria-Hungary - Lynneth
Brandenburg - Drakedeath
Burgundy - Karl Martin
Croatia - Centurius
Dublin - Subtleknifewielder
England - Mergerberger
Flanders - jordosaur47
Florence - Californian
Galway - Pravus Ingruo
Hesse - Lutai
Holland - Stefano Palmieri
Iceland - Fizzydog
Leon - Gunther
Malta - Tidy Bowl Man
Milan - SpacingOutMan
Normandy - Margrave
Papal State - Franz Ferdinand
Poland - graniteknight
Pommerania - VinceSixx
Portugal - Owned-You
Romagna - SarahTintagyl
Sabah - FlyingScotsman
Sardinia - maicke
Scotland - Silhouette
Sicilian Empire - Acca Dacca
Sweden - jutopia
Valencia - Sargun

[center][u]GMs[/u]
Drakedeath
Lynneth
Mergerberger[/center]

Special Arrangement: For the sake of RP, Austria-Hungary (Lynneth) RPs with twice his population and military. However, 70% of that is constantly off fighting the Ottomans, and there will be large revolt issues.

[u][b]WONDERS[/b][/u]
IG Name: Effect (RP Name)
Agriculture Development Program: Better farming, -5% revolt chance, +0.1% population growth
Anti-Air Defense Network: Stronger capital fortifications (Capital Defense)
Central Intelligence Agency: +5% Spy Chance (not assassination), -5% revolt chance (National Spy Agency)
Disaster Relief Agency: Reduces daily War Revolt Chance from +1% to +0.5% (Veteran Care Program)
Fallout Shelter System: Cities less vulnerable to fires (Fire Departments)
Federal Aid Commission: Allows secret supply shipments to nations at war (War Assistance Program)
Great Monument: -5% revolt chance
Great Temple: -5% revolt chance, Pope cannot propose excommunication if Catholic(Curia Controller still can, Pope can agree), invalidates religious Casus Bellis from nations of the same faith
Great University: Technological advances more easy to gain, +2% spy odds (not assassination)
Internet: More efficient messenger system (Messenger Corps)
Interstate: Better roads for military and commercial travel (Road Development Program)
Mining Industry Consortium: More available trade goods, easier to arm and rearm forces
Movie Industry: -5% revolt chance (Theater System)
National Environment Office: Less vulnerable to plagues, cleaner cities, -5% revolt chance, +0.1% population growth (Plague Treatment Center)
National Research Lab: Technological advances easier to gain (National Research Center)
National War Memorial: Reduces maximum War Revolt Chance to 10%
Pentagon: Better generals, better troop morale, easier to develop tactics (Military Academy)
Scientific Development Center: Technological advances easier to gain, +2% spy odds (not assassination) (Philosophical Encouragement Program)
Social Security System: -5% revolt chance (Royal Assistance Program)
Stock Market: Bankruptcy less possible (Merchant’s Guild)
Universal Health Care: Better treatment of disease, +0.1% population growth (Medical Training)
Weapons Research Complex: Allows the RP of developing Rifling (Armament Development Center)

Foreign Air Force Bases provides your IG nation with more planes, which equate to more artillery, and therefore, the FAFB has no other effect.

[u][b]IMPROVEMENTS[/b][/u]
Bank: Allows +0.25% higher taxes each without increased revolt chance
Barracks: Allows cheaper housing of troops, better soldier training
Border Walls: Decrease opposing spy odds by 1% (Border Militia Patrols)
Church: Decrease revolt risk by 0.1% each
Clinic: Allows better medical treatment in rural areas, +0.05% population growth each (Local Doctors)
Drydock: Allows faster ship repairs
Factory: Allows better production of military equipment and ships
Guerrilla Camp: Allows you to designate 1% of your population as guerrillas, activated only during occupation, max 5%
Harbor: Allows better sea trade. No bonus for landlocked nations
Hospital: +.05% population growth
Intelligence Agency: Increases spy chance (not assassination) by 0.5% each, decreases enemy spy chances by 0.5% each
Labor Camp: Increases revolt risk +15%, allows +3% higher taxes each
Missile Defense: Increases capital defenses
Naval Academy: Allows better admirals and fleet discipline
Naval Construction Yard: Allows faster ship building times
Police Headquarters: Decreases revolt risk -0.1% each (Town Militia)
Satellite: Increases spy chance 0.5% each (Foreign Informants)**
School: Decrease revolt risk 0.25% each, increase spy odds +0.2% each
Stadium: Decrease revolt risk 0.1% each (Arenas/Theaters)
University: Increases ease of technological advances, increases attacking spy odds 0.5% each

**RP required before use, each time

Edited by Drakedeath

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynneth was kind enough to provide some screenshots from a game based on this era, EU3. These descriptions will have tactics from the time period. Please ask if it is in your tech if you are uncertain.

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/Tactican/"]Lynneth's Screenshots[/url]

دولة الصباح - Nation of Sabah, or Sabah for short. Small Sunni Arabic state led by Emir Saad Al-Hasan Al-Sabah centered around the Persian Gulf and the Shatt Al-Arab/Lower Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

[IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/gswitzerland/Al-Sabah.png[/IMG]

[quote name='Karl Martin' date='17 April 2010 - 05:49 AM' timestamp='1271479723' post='2263651']
I wisht to claim the Duxhy of Burgundy, with Lorraine on the side.
[/quote]

Too much land. You can either have Dutch Burgundy, French Burgundy, or Lorraine.

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='17 April 2010 - 06:41 AM' timestamp='1271482895' post='2263673']
دولة الصباح - Nation of Sabah, or Sabah for short. Small Sunni Arabic state led by Emir Saad Al-Hasan Al-Sabah centered around the Persian Gulf and the Shatt Al-Arab/Lower Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

[/quote]

Approved.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='17 April 2010 - 09:59 AM' timestamp='1271512752' post='2263849']
Can I claim the eastern half of Iceland? If that isn't too much land, could I also claim either both halfs of Denmark or just the upper half? I would like to name my lands, "The Icelands."
[/quote]

We're trying to keep it semi-historical...

I would wish to claim the lands of Hesse,for my nation The Empire of Bruno[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Upper_Rhenish_Circle-2005-10-15-en.png/610px-Upper_Rhenish_Circle-2005-10-15-en.png[/img]

Edited by lutai

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='17 April 2010 - 07:41 AM' timestamp='1271482895' post='2263673']

[/quote]
Adding.

[quote name='Markus Wilding' date='17 April 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1271511373' post='2263826']
I would like this land:

[img]http://i.imagehost.org/0455/ERP.png[/img]

EDIT: Please label it Free Morocco.
[/quote]
Just labelling as Morocco, considering a "Free Morocco" didn't exist back then. You can RP it over time though.

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' date='17 April 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1271515255' post='2263873']
We're trying to keep it semi-historical...
[/quote]
With nations being named as what they were at the time. Of course RP can change names.

[quote name='Stefano Palmieri' date='17 April 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1271515915' post='2263880']
Can I have the Amsterdam/Rotterdam area please. I would like it to be called "The Hansa"
[/quote]
Naming Holland for the time being, as the Hansa was a merchant federation of several cities and nations such as Riga, Lübeck and Utrecht.

[quote name='graniteknight' date='17 April 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1271516972' post='2263891']
Poland please :)
[/quote]
Adding.

[quote name='lutai' date='17 April 2010 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1271518720' post='2263910']
I would wish to claim the lands of Hesse,for my nation The Empire of Bruno[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Upper_Rhenish_Circle-2005-10-15-en.png/610px-Upper_Rhenish_Circle-2005-10-15-en.png[/img]
[/quote]
Okay. Only you're the Duchy of Hesse.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='17 April 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1271519908' post='2263921']
Ya know what? Just give me Iceland.
[/quote]
Adding.

Edit: [size="6"][url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/Mappan/004.png"]CLICK ME FOR MAP[/url][/size]

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='graniteknight' date='17 April 2010 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1271525856' post='2263979']
why the hell am i being limited, that is not bloody fair
[/quote]

We're limiting everyone to prevent people from getting a land high.

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/proberge82/Leon15thCentury.png[/IMG]

I do like the idea of using Lynneth's War game to determine the outcome; much better than the CNRP system. :)

Stat are based on my CN:SE nation, [url=http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=185020][color="#008000"]Galileo Corporation.[/color][/url]
Tech: [color="#008000"]5,407.48[/color]
Population = IG*5 [b]110,669 x 5 = [color="#2E8B57"]553,345[/color][/b]
Soldiers = Max IG/2 [b]64,535/2 = [color="#2E8B57"]32,268[/color][/b]
Garrisons = Max IG troops (CAN ONLY BE USED TO DEFEND TOWNS AND FORTS. Composed of militia, and less effective than soldiers) [b][color="#2E8B57"]64,535[/color][/b]
Cavalry = Max IG Tanks [b][color="#2E8B57"]6453[/color][/b]
Artillery = Max IG Planes*5 [b]105 x 5 = [color="#2E8B57"]525[/color][/b]
Ships = IG ships, does not apply to landlocked nations [b][color="#2E8B57"]57[/color][/b]

Edited by Gunther

[quote name='Gunther' date='17 April 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1271528543' post='2264003']
[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/proberge82/Spain15thCentury.png[/IMG]

Tech: [url="http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=185020"]5,407.48[/url]

I do like the idea of using Lynneth's War game to determine the outcome; much better than the CNRP system. :)
[/quote]

Jeez, big nation or not, that's a lot of land. Take a pick of one of the northern Spanish kingdoms.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Castilla_1210.png[/img]

Andalucia (brown) is a bit big, so choose one of the others.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='17 April 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1271531439' post='2264054']
I have a quesiton: Since my nation is Iceland, would invasion ships that carry people and weapons count as navy? Because people cannot swim 200 miles...
[/quote]
More notable for your predicament is the frigid waters. The temperature would kill a man if allowed to swim in those northern Atlantic waters for more than six minutes.

15th Century Warships or merchant ships could transport a certain number of soldiers. So, a decision as to whether the total number of ships a nation has is based on IG ship solely, or if that number only applies to Warships. The answer to that question appears pretty simple, but I'm not running this shindig. Merchant ships did carry a few cannons on board, but not enough to consider themselves Warships. They were lightly armed to protect against Pirates. A few may even have employed soldiers or marines on board for local security.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='17 April 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1271531439' post='2264054']
I have a quesiton: Since my nation is Iceland, would invasion ships that carry people and weapons count as navy? Because people cannot swim 200 miles...
[/quote]

You can have a maximum of 2 transports, capable of carrying 1,000 men each, not counted towards navy. Otherwise...
Carriers, Battleships, Frigates = Carracks/Caravels (big ships)
Corvettes, Cruisers, Destroyers = Barques/Galleys (smaller ships)
Submarines and Landing Ships = transport ships (Cogs, Flytes)

Edited by Drakedeath

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='17 April 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1271532599' post='2264081']
You can have a maximum of 2 transports, capable of carrying 1,000 men each, not counted towards navy. Otherwise...
Carriers, Battleships, Frigates = Carracks/Caravels (big ships)
Corvettes, Cruisers, Destroyers = Barques/Galleys (smaller ships)
Submarines and Frigates = transport ships (Cogs, Flytes)
[/quote]
Oh boy. Pick on the small guy. :v:

Edited by Fizzydog