Nemesis Forums Hacked

Yawoo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ratonbox' date='14 April 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1271203264' post='2259317']
Oh, not again.. Heh, at least my drunk posts were deleted.
Sorry for you guys!
[/quote]

No, them we still have!
:P

I just wrote up a 100 page essay on how we are going to win CN! OH NO!

When I saw this thread just now it had 420 views and I have my bowl handy, I'll take an extra hard hit to hoping things work out for you guys. Good luck again dealing with forum problems and if things get stressful or boring you can always get high.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='13 April 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1271190104' post='2258991']
This former CN terrorist, for one, frowns on hacking. Get creative, destroy your enemies in game.
[/quote]

It takes work and time to get somewhere in-game or to achieve a personality or goal. This type of bottom-feeding scum clearly needs instant gratification.

Its of concern that whoever is doing such things is gradually increasing, they've gone from hacking exploits in forum software to brute entry of hosting accounts.

Really, the best way of combating this in the future is to put up a good defense. Its happened to large alliances, small alliances, and everything in between. I'm oppertunistic that these hackings can be a learning tool, that alliances (and individuals alike) will learn from them and understand that "good enough" is not good enough, and take the necessary measures to protect themselves from such acts.

I'd imagine that this might make people think twice about keeping back-ups on your hosting, for the very reason why its hurting you now. Personally, I make back-ups of my database & specific parts of the physical files every night and keep them stored locally, a practice that I'd certainly encourage others to do.

Everyone seems to assume, any time a CN forum is hacked, that it's been done by a CN enemy. I'm not convinced that is a valid assumption.

There are some people (commonly known as script kiddies) who like to cause mayhem. They write a virus, hack forums, etc, just to cause trouble. They don't necessarily care who gets the virus, or what is happening on the forums they are hacking. They do it to cause random trouble, and because they like knowing how to do it.

Yes, it's just as big a pain no matter why they do it.

And the solution is pretty much the same. Run decent forum software and keep it patched so you have all the latest fixes.

Bros2 and Bilrow (and perhaps others?) have started the CN Geek Squad (I think that's what they called it) just to help with this kind of thing. But if you wait until after the damage is done, well, the damage is done.

If you aren't 100% sure that you are running safe software, you should check with them *before* you get hacked. I'm not sure what they can do after, but if you check with them first, they probably have a very good idea of what forum software (and versions) are safe, and which are not.

[quote name='Baldr' date='15 April 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1271373307' post='2261881']
Everyone seems to assume, any time a CN forum is hacked, that it's been done by a CN enemy. I'm not convinced that is a valid assumption.

There are some people (commonly known as script kiddies) who like to cause mayhem. They write a virus, hack forums, etc, just to cause trouble. They don't necessarily care who gets the virus, or what is happening on the forums they are hacking. They do it to cause random trouble, and because they like knowing how to do it.

Yes, it's just as big a pain no matter why they do it.

And the solution is pretty much the same. Run decent forum software and keep it patched so you have all the latest fixes.

Bros2 and Bilrow (and perhaps others?) have started the CN Geek Squad (I think that's what they called it) just to help with this kind of thing. But if you wait until after the damage is done, well, the damage is done.

If you aren't 100% sure that you are running safe software, you should check with them *before* you get hacked. I'm not sure what they can do after, but if you check with them first, they probably have a very good idea of what forum software (and versions) are safe, and which are not.
[/quote]

There are hundreds of thousands of forums out there. For so many CN-related (what, maybe 500?) to be hit within such a short time frame (when they haven't been before) makes it unreasonable to believe these are random targets. It's clearly someone targeting CN, and I believe Bros already told us who did it (though I know accusations of hacking is not allowed to be discussed here, so we shouldn't discuss it.)

Poyplemonkeys: did you save copies of the new charter on your harddrive or should your frustration be taken as you hadn't?
[quote name='Penkala' date='14 April 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1271283819' post='2260525']
It takes work and time to get somewhere in-game or to achieve a personality or goal. This type of bottom-feeding scum clearly needs instant gratification.
[/quote]
It is for that express purpose why the Great Lord Hyperbad instituted policies enabling him to maintain a harem. Thus permitting him much needed instant gratification at no cost to others. Certain other characters in the Cyberverse would do well to follow this example. Instant gratification has never tasted so good.

[quote name='Penkala' date='16 April 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1271388778' post='2262190']
There are hundreds of thousands of forums out there. For so many CN-related (what, maybe 500?) to be hit within such a short time frame (when they haven't been before) makes it unreasonable to believe these are random targets. It's clearly someone targeting CN, and I believe Bros already told us who did it (though I know accusations of hacking is not allowed to be discussed here, so we shouldn't discuss it.)
[/quote]

I agree these attacks are becoming so common now that most of the fun has gone. And when the fun is gone...