IAA Q&A

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='12 April 2010 - 07:09 AM' timestamp='1271077762' post='2257295']
There is much work that needs to be done in order to simplify it once again.

Not at all. This is evident because of our treaty with Invicta and our non-treaty friendships with alliances like VA.

[/quote]
So you think there needs to be work done to simplify the web, but would sign treaties that actively complicate it?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='New Frontier' date='14 April 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1271281829' post='2260506']
So you think there needs to be work done to simplify the web, but would sign treaties that actively complicate it?
[/quote]

Read below...

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote name='New Frontier' date='14 April 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1271281829' post='2260506']
[/quote]

In my opinion, no work needs to be done simplifying the web because of the simple fact that hardly anyone actually upholds all of their treaties anyway. The treaty web is a joke.

There are very few instances in which an alliance actually honors all of it's treaties in war-time. Besides, when it comes right down to it, an alliance is going to uphold the treaties it wants to at that time, not which ones it is 'obligated' to uphold.

[quote name='New Frontier' date='14 April 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1271281829' post='2260506']
[/quote]
If an alliance only signs treaties for simplicity's sake, they don't deserve friends or allies.

[quote name='Chimaera' date='14 April 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1271293703' post='2260686']
If an alliance only signs treaties for simplicity's sake, they don't deserve friends or allies.
[/quote]
I agree with this. I disagree with Voodoo's other statement, which I see as being contrary to his second.

Both are defensible statements, but they are mutually exclusive.

[quote name='Shodemofi' date='12 April 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1271122140' post='2258046']
Then will you respond if I ask it this way?

I believe that only alliances who were directly attacked by aggressors deserve reparations as they are the only ones who were actually forced into the conflict. Alliances that came in via treaties made the choice to come in, however justified that choice may be, the fact remains that they entered the war by choice, and as such them asking reparations is perilously close to extortion. Do you disagree with that statement, and if so, why? If you fear it will derail the thread I'd appreciate a PM.

Don't take it the wrong way, I do like you guys, I just heavily disagree with your actions at the end of the last war.
[/quote]
Well, first and foremost, IAA never considered it a choice to fight in this war. You might, but we don't. We were obliged to do so by a blood-bound treaty, thus we did so. That's just a fact as far as Imperial foreign policy goes.

And, to be honest, decision to seek reparations was mostly borne out of the desires of the membership - it was basically the desires of my membership that we should get something out of fighting 3 alliances at once for two months. I have never asked for reparations before (and so in my negotiations with DAWN and TORN I pretty much bent over to anything to help them accommodate terms), and, had it been solely my decision, might not have during this war.

That said, when it comes down to it at the end of the day, it is my duty to do whatever I can do help my members' nations. Out of 7,500 technology IAA is due to receive, only around 250 is going to anyone in our government. I've noticed most alliances tend to try to get reparations as a form of punishment for the defeated foes; IAA doesn't see it this way. All we are attempting to do is recoup a little bit of our losses since we have the opportunity to do so.

Edit: And Chey, Voodoo doesn't create and shape Imperial policy. I do. If there are two mutually exclusive statements between us, mine is the correct one.

Edited by Chimaera

[quote name='Chimaera' date='14 April 2010 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1271304046' post='2260899']
Well, first and foremost, IAA never considered it a choice to fight in this war. You might, but we don't. We were obliged to do so by a blood-bound treaty, thus we did so. That's just a fact as far as Imperial foreign policy goes.
[/quote]

I certainly understand that, and respect IAA the more for it, however your choice to view your treaty as that important is just that, your choice. The fact is that nobody forced IAA into the war, as opposed to CnG, who were forced into the war as they were attacked. You choose to honor your treaties, that still makes it your choice to enter the war, no one forced it on you.
[quote]
And, to be honest, decision to seek reparations was mostly borne out of the desires of the membership - it was basically the desires of my membership that we should get something out of fighting 3 alliances at once for two months. I have never asked for reparations before (and so in my negotiations with DAWN and TORN I pretty much bent over to anything to help them accommodate terms), and, had it been solely my decision, might not have during this war.
[/quote]
I also understand listening to your members, but in my experience, when an alliance leader, especially an unelected one, states his views on something, the rest of the alliance will generally go along with it as long as the stance can be defended and isn't overly controversial.

(Reading that again it seems like I'm criticizing you for being unelected. I'm not, I'm no fan of democracy in CN, I'm just saying that people are more likely to respect the wishes of a leader for life than an elected one)

[quote]
That said, when it comes down to it at the end of the day, it is my duty to do whatever I can do help my members' nations. Out of 7,500 technology IAA is due to receive, only around 250 is going to anyone in our government. I've noticed most alliances tend to try to get reparations as a form of punishment for the defeated foes; IAA doesn't see it this way. All we are attempting to do is recoup a little bit of our losses since we have the opportunity to do so.
[/quote]

I suppose in a broad sense that's every alliance leaders' job, but there is a certain element of ethics and honor too is there not?

I'm not accusing you of hoarding all the tech for yourself or anything. My real objection here is that it seems like you're asking TORN and DAWN to reimburse you for a war you chose to pursue. As I said before, I really do understand and support viewing your treaties as unbreakable, but it is you choice to view them as such; it was your choice to enter the war.

[quote name='Chimaera' date='14 April 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1271304046' post='2260899']
Edit: And Chey, Voodoo doesn't create and shape Imperial policy. I do. If there are two mutually exclusive statements between us, mine is the correct one.
[/quote]
Then I suppose my question is more of a point of curiousity for Voodoo, if that's alright. It's certainly a conversation that can be taken elsewhere if you feel it to be outside of the bounds of this QnA.