Versailles

Karl Martin

Within the Hall of Mirrors, the invited leaders were all seated. On the Burgundy's side, there were the Prime Minister Léon Joseph Marie Ignace Degrelle, Lothringen governor Catherine Trautmann, Normaundie Prime Minister Philippe Woodland, and a represnetative from the Celtic Gaulist Movement.

OOC: Closed to those invited in the Coronation thread. Again, same restrictions are applied.

Edited by Karl Martin

While she had not planned to come to the conference, due to the speech held by the 'royal' in Reims. Therese had finally decided that there was no harm to at least go and see what was planned, at the very least to gain insight to what Burgundy's plans were for the future. She would never allow Aquitaine to unify under the banner of a King. The people would never allow it, but if unification was Burgundy's goal, then there was the possibility of conflict in the future. Conflict that Therese, for the betterment of the French people would rather avoid. Taking a deep breath she folded her hands and looked up across the table towards the Burgundian Prime Minister.

"Excellency, the remarks made at the coronation do not sit well with Aquitaine. We will never be ruled under the banner of a King, whether he would be German or French. The times of monarchical rule are over. Therefore if this is unification, under that Royal's idea, then I will take my leave now. If you have something different than that, as in the abolishing of this ridiculous monarchy, then we may be willing to at least listen to you. However, anything else, no." She looked around the table. "And given the separatist movements, I believe they feel the same way."

Therese read over the piece of paper and cracked her knuckles as she did so. Deep down inside she was overjoyed, but she would not allow that emotion to come out, even in her eyes. "His Majesty understands that in this unification there will be no monarchy. However if this is the Emperor abdicating power and allowing my government to come as the sole owners of France, that is fine. Of course you will all be treated with respect, but new elections will have to occur and such. But if that is the wish of your nation, I can alert my Paladin in Pau to begin making the necessary arrangements for unification."

"Yes, His Majesty perfectly knows that only republicanism can truly save France. He has always been a republican, and this act of reunification has always been his goal. It is unfortunate that Brittany would be so stubborn to attempt to use a false royal prince to take the throne, but they will see the light in the future." He ten looked at the other three person on his side of the table. "However, there are a few issues to handle before we proceed. Mainly, there is the problem of a conflict between titles in Normaundie, and two regions which does not want to join France."

Woodland then spoke. "I'll make this short, your Excellency: the Normans cannot see you as being a Duke, and will only accept His Majesty as the one true King of Normaundie, even if it is just titular and has no power. You should realize that Salic law has always been the highest, and that the acts of Vincent are completely void. We ask that you relinquish the title, or we shall be prepared to secede."

"I have no problems relinquishing a title of Dukes or Duchesses, however, I want you to know now Mr. Woodland that your King has no power in France and if you attempt to move on my government, both you and your King will be put down as traitors. The people of Pays du Loire, which has a sizable Norman population from previous regimes has a strong loyalty to both myself and to Beauregard, they have placed their trust in me and I am relinquishing a title they gave me so that your people can be happy with a law that if I may be blunt, is rather sexist. However, you can consider as soon as my government takes power, that title will be forgotten."

"As long as our unique identity is preserved, we are willing to be loyal citizens of France." With a relieved face, Woodland sat down.

Trautmann took out a map.

[center][img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/235/currentfrance.png[/img][/center]

"This is the map of the current loyalty to the idea of a united France. The upper part is the region of Lothringen, which I am governor of. We in Lothringen are not keen on the idea of France, and will be seceding to form a separate nation for now. We shall decide what our path will be in the future. In addition, French Flanders shall be joining RSSN, to reunite all of Flanders.

The southern Area is the region where the Celtic Gaulist Movement have strength. They are not completely sure if being an independent nation or part of France is better, so I have put them as unloyal areas."

She then faced the Celtic Gaulist Movement representative.

OOC: The other people in the room may respond to what has happened so far.

Edited by Karl Martin

Etain sat quietly as she listened to the discussion. The biggest news was that of the Celtic Gauls. To Etain, the rest of it sounded something of an very cunning ploy. Despite the fact that Therese had seen this herself, Taeunas had its concerns. The rest of the division of the separatist areas was not surprising in the grand scheme of things, though the possible split of the south area was interesting. Etains orders were clear, do not interfere unless the interests of their allies are threatened. So far, that hasn't looked like the case.

The German Delegation remained quiet. On Martens' face was only a wall of seriousness and thoughtfulness. He regretted assisting to the meeting, but he figured that it would be worse if he did not. Furthermore, he was increasingly skeptical about the new ruler. At first, he had seemed to be illuminated, but as time went by, he appeared to be dimming down. He did not like the idea of making the German realm envolved in the inner workings of the French Realm. Part of him wanted to oppose, yet another part of him saw other opportunities.

For now, he listens.

Before the Celtic Gaulist representative could speak, an aide entered the room and announced with a map in his hand, "The people of Lothringen have voted on their future, and 60% of the people decided to join the new French nation. The 5 million pro-Germans ask that they be helped with their moving to Deutschland."

[center][img]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5546/francesupreme.png[/img][/center]

Trautmann was startled at the news, but resigningly said, "Seems like I'm out of a job. Congratulations, Ms. Zelle."

Edited by Karl Martin

Ugolin Rémy walked into the room as the representative of the 'Liberté pour Gallia' movement. His sturdy and short figure (approximately 5'6'') were typical of the Gauls that lived in the Southern regions of Burgundy, and his accent spoke typical Parisian French with a rough tone to it. The Gauls preferred their own traditional Celtic language to the romantic sounding French. Regardless, they still spoke it fluently as a second language. Upon entering, one would expect him to be the leader of 'communists' or 'ultranationalists'. Unlike the usual separatist movements, he represented (along with the LG) the staunch support for a monarchist state in the region, headed by the Gallic 'de La Vallière' family.

He walked forward and sat down in the next available seat, near the German and French delegations.

"It is with great pleasure that I humbly appear before you, representatives of former Burgundy's neighboring states. I come forward today, primarily to present a case with the ruler of the nation whom invited our presence. Allow me to formally introduce myself as Ugolin Rèmy, representative of the Liberté pour Gallia movement. It is within our interests that we vow for seperation with the state in which we currently reside, as we wish for a firmly sovereign nation. Our people may be similar in some aspects to both Germans, and French alike, but we are also rather different. It is with such that I place this appeal, on behalf of Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière, our supported royal head. We beseech to you, esteemed members of this representative Congress, and our current benefactors especially. Will you grant us our one honest request of you: our freedom?"

He let out a very small smile to show his gratitude, and then lit a cigarette. This could be a long night.

The German Delegation took note of the plebiscite and after double-checking with Berlin, accepted the legitimacy of the decision. Germany would gain a decent amount of manpower through this, without needing to end up controlling territory of mixed ethnicities. France would remain French, and Germany German - as Berlin desired.

Etain took the news in pleasent surprise, though she didnt show it. In reality, it did not alter the dealings that much in the eyes of Taeunas. What it would do is give the nation more room to expand and prosper. Thus, it was taken as a good sign.

The Scottish ambassador, James McFadden, showed disinterest in the discussion. [i]I do not understand what madness has driven the former nation of Burgundy, but with the land being absorbed into Aquitaine that certainly seems better for those unfortunate enough to be under Burgundy's rule. I wonder if King Douglas will understand this confusing mess either.[/i]

[quote]
Trautmann was startled at the news, but resigningly said, "Seems like I'm out of a job. Congratulations, Ms. Zelle."
[/quote]

Therese smiled, but bowed her head. "That you may be Mr. Trautmann, but you will be treated with the utmost respect in France, I can assure you that much. It was an absolute pleasure in doing such diplomacy with you. I believe everything worked out and most importantly the general population is happy."

[quote]
"It is with great pleasure that I humbly appear before you, representatives of former Burgundy's neighboring states. I come forward today, primarily to present a case with the ruler of the nation whom invited our presence. Allow me to formally introduce myself as Ugolin Rèmy, representative of the Liberté pour Gallia movement. It is within our interests that we vow for seperation with the state in which we currently reside, as we wish for a firmly sovereign nation. Our people may be similar in some aspects to both Germans, and French alike, but we are also rather different. It is with such that I place this appeal, on behalf of Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière, our supported royal head. We beseech to you, esteemed members of this representative Congress, and our current benefactors especially. Will you grant us our one honest request of you: our freedom?"
[/quote]

Royals...Therese scoffed in her mind, she had always held royalty in mild disdain, it went against the ideas of what could be accomplished by the people ruling for themselves. Nevertheless, Aquitaine had achieved more in one meeting than could have been accomplished by years of warfare and for that she was thankful. The people were smart they knew what they wanted and deep down she knew full well that total French unification would be achieved. Perhaps not in her lifetime, but eventually. It was just a shame that Marseilles was still not in French hands.

"I believe considering that no one here desires to see bloodshed that Aquitaine...that France can allow such an offer for Gallia. Of course with open borders, non-aggression, economic pacts and so forth. Personally, I think that France and Gallia can look forward to many peaceful years with each other Mr. Remy." Therese stuck her hand out for him to either shake or kiss and that would be enough to conclude the deal.

Ugolin was a man of polite gesture, and upon seeing Therese stick out her hand, it was almost ritual for him to kiss it. He bowed lightly before her and straightened his newsboy hat while inserting his strong, Gallic cigarette back into his mouth. The smoking relieved him, although it was inevitable that he'd somehow end up with cancer because of it. He didn't care, as long as it made him feel better while he was still alive. With the conference on a positive note, he nodded towards the door of the room in which they were meeting. Outside, Louise de la Vallière waited to enter the room. It was now clear to her that she would become Duchess of Gallia, and that her people would achieve independence. While Ugolin was good with words and could handle the situation, he felt better leaving the situation in her highness's hands.

In a subtle and light voice, almost as soft as that of velvet, Ugolin spoke his last line for the moment.

"Now presenting, Her Highness Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière, Duchess of the Principality of Gallia."

Louise was a short girl, only five feet tall. She was not exactly the oldest either, being only sixteen years of age. Her intelligence was modest, and she had already completed a good deal of schooling before coming to where she was at this very moment. Regardless of this, she had already decided to continue home study. None of this mattered at the moment, so she cleared her mind and moved to the event at hand. Her strawberry blonde hair swayed slightly to the left as she tilted her head to speak.

"You can call me Louise de La Valliere for short, and I sincerely apologize for the name, it is a mouthful."

Her voice was different from Ugolin's, as the French she spoke came across blissfully and not as harsh as his.

"It is a pleasure to meet all of you, representatives of the nations soon to be neighboring mine, and in the vicinity. I am pleased the Ugolin has managed to speak to you on the matters our nation, our culture, and our people. From what I've heard, he has done a good job. As for your agreements relating to open border policy, economic pacts and a policy of non-aggression, these are all perfectly acceptable. Since we founded our organization and began promoting Gallic pride, and the ideals of a sovereign nations for our people, we have remained peaceful. It is our goal to seek peace actively and enjoy the ability to cultivate and rule our own homeland."

Etain quirked an eyebrow at this newest of heads of state. A child ruler. Wonderful. Such as her were more likely to become pawns or figureheads for the older, more powerful statesmen or politicians. This could possibly spell trouble for the area in question, and possibly cause military conflicts. Despite these thoughts, she kept a smile on her lips and greeted this royal properly.

Louise already knew some might doubt her ability because of her young age, but she had already set out to prove them wrong. She wouldn't let things such as time and age prove her incapable. Regardless of the circumstances weighed against her, she [i]had[/i] to triumph.

"If anyone here is uneasy with my height or age, I greatly apologize. Regardless of these circumstances, I hope you come to accept me as the rightful voice of my people. I shall hope to erase any doubts you have of my in the future with words and action."

She kept a smile on her face, and sat down.

Degrelle rolled his eyes at the slight tension that was in the air. He had just signed the order for French reunification, and still the neighbors were suspicious of any movements for independence. Really, was it just him, or did it seem those damn islanders were intent on keeping a foothold on the continent? The Maid of Orléans would most likely be crying over this. She had appeared at the coronation, blessing Charles XI's efforts.

"Now now, shouldn't we be working for peace and prosperity? If the Gauls want a monarchy, they have a monarch. A true will of the people should not be turn down just because we have our specific ideologies. May I suggest if Gaul should join the WEU? Gaul is separate from Burgundy, so there is no specific reason for denying them, is there?"

OOC: Reading minds is he Karl? The only two "islanders" there is myself and Penchuk and neither of our delegates have said a word. lol

IC:

"Peace we have. Prosperity is an ongoing search. The nation of Gaul is not yet fully formed, I assume, so any talk of their joining the WEU is thus far premature. When things have stabilized in this area after the transfers of power and land are complete, then the issue can be revisited." She decided to test the waters of the PM's resolve in this matter. "Of course they are separate from Burgundy, seeing as how that nation ceased to exist with the last flourish of your pen." she said with an amused grin. "It seems that you have fired yourself by proxy." With that, she turned and looked at the young Duchess. "Your grace, on behalf of President DeSchaine, congratulations on gaining your freedom."

[quote name='DeSchaine' date='09 April 2010 - 02:29 AM' timestamp='1270801781' post='2254146']
OOC: Reading minds is he Karl? The only two "islanders" there is myself and Penchuk and neither of our delegates have said a word. lol[/quote]

OOC: That was Burgundy's opinion ever since it was denied all of France and membership in the WEU. I mihgt have onverstep things, though.

Degrelle has a revised version of the original propostion typed and brought.

[quote]Treaty of Versailles

Article 1

The government of Burgundy fully accepts the authority of Aquitaine over the former realm of Burgundy.

Article 2

The Principality of Gallia shall be given independence, separate from Burgundy or Aquitaine.

Article 3

The French Flanders shall join the RSSN.

Article 4

Charles XI shall retain the titles of King of Normaundie and King of Burgund. The titles shall be purely honorary, and does not imply any sort of political powers. Charles XI shall be allowed to keep the estates connectes to the titles.

Signed for Burgundy
Léon Joseph Marie Ignace Degrelle, Prime Minister
[/quote]

"I await your signature, Ms. Zelle."