I Need Help

TTLeader

[quote name='TTLeader' date='08 April 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1270700268' post='2252726']
Well, I'm working on the channel, but my alliance is e-mail based. I don't want to have to spend money on a website.
[/quote]
You can get free forum hosting from sites like [url=http://www.invisionfree.com/]Invision[/url] and [url=http://www.simplemachines.org/]SMF[/url]. I would recommend setting up a forum using one of those first.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='08 April 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1270700686' post='2252738']
honestly, you should be joining an alliance and learning before you even consider creating your own.
[/quote]
People always say this, and for the sake of honesty, it's not really wrong. That said, I dove straight into alliance building with no experience in CN or anyone with experience to help me out and that seems to have gone alright, although it did help considerably having a lot of other new players figuring things out at the same time.

Anyway, I had no prior experience, so I make it a point to help anyone who wants to get straight to making their own alliance if that's what they really want to do.

Ok, you asked for help so here's my advice:

1. Look around you. There are hundreds of alliances. Find the answer to these questions: What can you do to make your alliance stand out? What can you offer that no other, or few, alliances have? What kind of entertainment experience can you impart to your members that no other alliance can?

2. Get on the IRC and approach experienced players. Ask them for advice. Not everyone will want to help you, but if are determined to learn and better yourself there are many players that will help you by divulging their tips.

3. Now consider these points: some alliances have recruiting teams that number more than the membership of other small alliances. How can you possibly compete against 30 people all sending out recruitment messages? Now factor in that almost every alliance recruits, and you'll soon understand that the greatest commodity isn't money or tech but warm bodies. The good news is that you can out-recruit larger alliances but you have to consider your membership acquisition methods. Think outside the box. Recruit from other games, try out a new media platforms, make friends with smaller alliances and consider mergers, ect.

Consider those 3 points.

Good luck.

Edited by Kzoppistan

Delta and the rest have it right. Also, the oft overlooked bonus of having a protector is invaluable advice and counsel. Good luck, and be patient. Building an alliance is not something that takes minutes to do, you have to invest hours into it.

[quote name='Wentworth the Brave' date='08 April 2010 - 01:37 AM' timestamp='1270705013' post='2252819']
Delta and the rest have it right. Also, the oft overlooked bonus of having a protector is invaluable advice and counsel. Good luck, and be patient. Building an alliance is not something that takes minutes to do, you have to invest hours into it.
[/quote]
Hours is something of an understatement, really.

[quote name='Kzoppistan' date='08 April 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1270703599' post='2252786']

3. Now consider these points: some alliances have recruiting teams that number more than the membership of other small alliances. How can you possibly compete against 30 people all sending out recruitment messages? Now factor in that almost every alliance recruits, and you'll soon understand that the greatest commodity isn't money or tech but warm bodies. The good news is that you can out-recruit larger alliances but you have to consider your membership acquisition methods. Think outside the box. Recruit from other games, try out a new media platforms, make friends with smaller alliances and consider mergers, ect.

[/quote]

I find it silly that an alliance would have more than one person doing recruiting. Each player gets 200 PMs. In the past 10 days, only once did more than 200 people join CN.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='08 April 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1270745231' post='2253160']
I find it silly that an alliance would have more than one person doing recruiting. Each player gets 200 PMs. In the past 10 days, only once did more than 200 people join CN.
[/quote]

This presumes you have one person who is ready to recruit all day, every day. At the very least, every day. That just isn't practical for most alliances.

Most alliances, especially the small ones, need to recruit by committee, and assign days or even hour or two hour slots to specific recruiters, just to ensure it can get done.

[quote name='TTLeader' date='08 April 2010 - 05:18 AM' timestamp='1270700268' post='2252726']
Well, I'm working on the channel, but my alliance is e-mail based. I don't want to have to spend money on a website.
[/quote]
Well at least this is something different... you could attract the guys who don't want to have to go through the bother of signing up to forums (and I know there are plenty of people who join who're like this), so make a point of mentioning this in your recruitment messages. Good luck.