A Mother's Second Chance

Still embraced in each others arms and gazes, Sarah kissed him again gently on the lips before finally separating and reaching into her pocket for a small silver necklace, attached to it, a poet's quill. "Our symbol, the quill, of our desire to change the world. There are those that will resist us, those that will die before they accept a truth of what can come, what will come. But we will persevere, you and I Anthony, I promise that." Gently she clipped the necklace around him and lifted him back up to his feet. "I apologize about the surroundings, but well, you've changed and so have I. The world was not as I envisioned it, not when I left Brisbane that first time so many years ago. It has changed me beyond anything that I imagined myself years ago." She shook her head. "The sins of the past have been corrected, but there are other things that must be done for my dream to be realized, many other things and I thank you for being there for me Anthony, to help me."

"I'm sorry if I put you on edge, but it had to be done." Sarah looked behind her to the window as the storm clouds began to part. "I wanted to make sure that you were still the Anthony that was always on edge, that trusted no one, but the woman he loves. However, I don't want to keep you and I have other things that I must do for our advancement. Please take care Anthony and be safe, for me."

The Witch watched as Anthony left down the corridor of the chateau and back out to the courtyard, she knew her greatest servants would always be there for her. But it was at this point that her work would have to head to the people and places that were not already placed under her charm and that would test her true ability of influence, charm, and desire.

Anthony, not wanting to let the moment slip away so soon, was reluctant to look away from her. But she clearly had something further to impart, something important to give him, and so he glanced down at her hand. He almost reached out to take the necklace himself, but instead she opted to put it around his neck herself, followed by helping him to his feet.

"I see I am not the only one who has changed." He, he had become softer, more human, in some respects, while she...she had grown harder, tempered like a blade--she had to have been, to test him so. He idly wondered if these changes that were, in part, from the influence each of them had had on the other. "Of course there will be those that resist us. And we must bear in mind, so that we do not falter, that some of those who oppose us wil do so because they see it as right. We must not let that sway us from our course." His grip on her hand must have been uncomfortable for a moment, but he released it almost imediately.

Despite that, he didn't want to leave...he didn't. But she was right. She undoubtedly had more work to do to accomplish her goals. He, he would undoubtedly have his role to play, but for now, he should enjoy the time he had left. Because the coming months--nay, the coming years, were going to be the busiest of his life--though in the end, they would be filled with the most purpose.

Perhaps it was mere coincidence, perhaps it was fate, perhaps it was the design of a higher power. But as as he left the chateau, the weather seemed to match the lightness of his spirit...