A Question From The Geek Squad

bros

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Alterego' date='13 March 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1268509447' post='2224560']
You are correct. All my passwords are as follows...

brb a Nigerian Prince wants my bank account to lodge his millions for a large reward.
[/quote]

So pessimistic.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I made an alliance, probably yes, it would certainly beat IPB free.

That of course changes depending on what forum program you would offer, not much of a fan of SMF, despite its advantages in security.

For the naysayers on grounds of "security of alliance info", going the route offered would most likely be more secure than using IPB free or paying for a host, as you all know numerous alliances have been attacked. Bros and his team of supergeeks come from all different sides of CN, but one thing they have in common is class. In the sense that they wouldn't use this as an opportunity to spy or use the information against you on an RP level.

EDIT: the small paragraph was added
EDIT 2: in case its needed the above can be taken entirely OOC

Edited by Fort Pitt

[quote name='Fort Pitt' date='13 March 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1268511772' post='2224612']
If I made an alliance, probably yes, it would certainly beat IPB free.

That of course changes depending on what forum program you would offer, not much of a fan of SMF, despite its advantages in security.
[/quote]

SMF and phpbb probably.

You'd have to pay for IPB/Vbulletin if you wanted it.

[quote name='Aimee Mann' date='13 March 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1268507530' post='2224522']
No because I do not trust you.
[/quote]

Then why even say anything?

[quote name='Alterego' date='13 March 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1268508664' post='2224546']
Handing over the keys to the kingdom? I laughed, thanks but no thanks. I hope you (MK)dont have any control over this forum too.
[/quote]

Because Bilrow is [i]totally[/i] a member of MK.

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' date='13 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1268512520' post='2224631']
Then why even say anything?

Because Bilrow is [i]totally[/i] a member of MK.
[/quote]
He didnt make the post and I dont trust Bilrow either, happy?

[quote name='Alterego' date='13 March 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1268512827' post='2224635']
He didnt make the post and I dont trust Bilrow either, happy?
[/quote]
If you can't trust anyone, it's about time to talk to a psychologist. I'm thinking hacker-safe forums is more important than MK finding about any PIATs/resignations being discussed by your alliance.

If anyone else was offering, would you accept?

[quote name='Rey the Great' date='13 March 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1268512931' post='2224636']
If you can't trust anyone, it's about time to talk to a psychologist. I'm thinking hacker-safe forums is more important than MK finding about any PIATs/resignations being discussed by your alliance.

If anyone else was offering, would you accept?
[/quote]
I trust my own alliance because we all see the same information and arent competing against each other. Seeing and hearing about the kinds that have done by people here to others just to get an edge including destroying their lives or attempting to destroy their lives I think a lack of trust of the competition from the wider world of Bob would be a smart move.

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' date='13 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1268512520' post='2224631']
Then why even say anything?[/quote]
It may have slipped your attention, but the question has two available answers: yes [i]and no[/i], and I am perfectly entitled to justify my no vote just as others are with their yes votes.

Besides, I wasn't being intentionally malicious, and if you saw my post that way then you have misread it. It's nothing personal against any of the geek squad, I just wouldn't be comfortable handing over such a large part of forum administration to members of the community who I've never even spoken to. As said above, the recent hackings and stuff have shown what lengths CN drives some people to, so I think it's wise to exercise caution.

Edited by Aimee Mann

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='13 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1268513037' post='2224638']
Considering the use Bilrow and his NPO pals put the Legion's forum to when said alliance was under the NPO's Viceroy, I'm going to go with: "Hell no."
[/quote]

It's not like you are being forced at gunpoint to use the service :P

[quote name='Boogeyman657' date='13 March 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1268519323' post='2224730']
I would but at the same time, I wouldn't. Couldn't they possibly see mah sekretz? like my plan to overthrow TPF?
[/quote]

yes, but why would we want to look through EVERY SINGLE FORUM DATABASE we host and find a single awesome post?

[quote name='Fort Pitt' date='13 March 2010 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1268511772' post='2224612']

For the naysayers on grounds of "security of alliance info", going the route offered would most likely be more secure than using IPB free or paying for a host, as you all know numerous alliances have been attacked. Bros and his team of supergeeks come from all different sides of CN, but one thing they have in common is class. In the sense that they wouldn't use this as an opportunity to spy or use the information against you on an RP level.

[/quote]

and you would know who to yell at if something went wrong. :)

[quote name='bros2' date='13 March 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1268520809' post='2224753']
yes, but why would we want to look through EVERY SINGLE FORUM DATABASE we host and find a single awesome post?
[/quote]
Idk, boredom? :v:

[quote name='Alterego' date='13 March 2010 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1268508664' post='2224546']Handing over the keys to the kingdom? I laughed, thanks but no thanks.[/quote]

I didn't laugh, but I agree. Own your domain, buy proper hosting, and get real forum software. $60 a year at most if you know what you are doing. Put a Paypal donate link in the member area and your members only need to throw you a grand total of $5 combined a month to cover the whole thing or just simply cover the fiver yourself. All you really need is your own in-house web nerd that you can trust. That's the first person I recruited when I set up my own alliance.

[quote name='+Zeke+' date='13 March 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1268522814' post='2224780']
I didn't laugh, but I agree. Own your domain, buy proper hosting, and get real forum software. $60 a year at most if you know what you are doing. Put a Paypal donate link in the member area and your members only need to throw you a grand total of $5 combined a month to cover the whole thing or just simply cover the fiver yourself. All you really need is your own in-house web nerd that you can trust. That's the first person I recruited when I set up my own alliance.
[/quote]

Domain: $9
Hosting: $50 a year for a reliable host (700 MB space/15 GB bandwidth)
Forum: Free (As long as you use a free forum system)
Total: $59

[quote name='bros2' date='14 March 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1268520809' post='2224753']
[/quote]

Bros, what have you been doing for the past week or so? :P