Transvaal Cup IV

Botha

I'm surprised at how well ADM did for being a first year club. If I may ask, which club was I assigned? I noticed that David Villa is one of my forwards and you said you are using FIFA 05 as the match simulator so that leads me to believe I'm either Zaragoza or Valencia.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mechanus' date='31 March 2010 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1270045700' post='2242041']
I'm surprised at how well ADM did for being a first year club. If I may ask, which club was I assigned? I noticed that David Villa is one of my forwards and you said you are using FIFA 05 as the match simulator so that leads me to believe I'm either Zaragoza or Valencia.
[/quote]

Looking at your team's kit against Cataduanes, and the emblem on it I believe it is Zaragoza.

[quote name='Sir Keshav IV' date='31 March 2010 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1270046071' post='2242042']
Looking at your team's kit against Cataduanes, and the emblem on it I believe it is Zaragoza.
[/quote]

That's what I thought but I don't ever recall Zaragoza having a red kit, hence my question.

[quote name='Mechanus' date='31 March 2010 - 06:28 AM' timestamp='1270045700' post='2242041']I'm surprised at how well ADM did for being a first year club. If I may ask, which club was I assigned? I noticed that David Villa is one of my forwards and you said you are using FIFA 05 as the match simulator so that leads me to believe I'm either Zaragoza or Valencia.[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Off the top of my head, I can't recall who the two Spanish teams were assigned to - but yes, both Zaragoza and Valencia (Costa Libertad) were used in the tournament, it it was probably Zaragoza. And keep in mind that sometimes the alternate jerseys got used.

Transvaal = Ajax Amsterdam
Tahoe = Glasgow Celtic
Cataduanes = Deportivo La Coruna
Nos Tre Rebublic = VfB Stuttgart
Mac Land = Paris Saint-Germain
Adeptes Mechanicus = Zaragoza

And keen eyes can probably figure out who the two finalists Articuno Islands and The Cheeselands are - although I changed all the Cheeselandic names to... umm, well types of cheese.[/color]

Edited by Botha

I'm Borussia Dortmund. Thats the only team I know with a yellow jersey and had both Koller and Rosicky. Cheeslands is AC Milan? :awesome:

EDIT: Since your using Fifa 05 the rooster's are 04 roosters and Villa played for Zaragoza then. So I do think its Zaragoza for sure Botha.

Edited by Sir Keshav IV

[quote name='Sir Keshav IV' date='31 March 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1270061283' post='2242189']I'm Borussia Dortmund. Thats the only team I know with a yellow jersey and had both Koller and Rosicky. Cheeslands is AC Milan?[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Yup. You have your work cut out for you tonight! Should be good match-up!

Also folks don't forget we have the Worst of the World too... CN soccer's answer to a cripplefight. I'm thinking that'll go into a shootout. [/color]

Pravus Ingruo will look to lose tonight. No one remembers who the second worst team in the world is, but everyone remembers the worst. Might as well be remembered for something, right? All players have been instructed to play by hopping around on their non-kicking leg with the other tied behind them and our goalie will play blindfolded.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' date='31 March 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1270068841' post='2242372']No one remembers who the second worst team in the world is[/quote]

[color="#006400"]OH I am sure Hizzy (AKA Sooners) does... he/they were so bad in TWC 1 that they messed up their attempt by becomeing Worst of the World... here's a replay of the 2007 broadcast re-cap from the Tele-Transvaal archives:

[i][b]NAPALM FROG IS CROWNED “WORST SOCCER-PLAYING NATION![/b]

Hizzy 1, Napalm Frog 0

Venue: somewhere near Gaborone, in occupied-Botswana

In appropriate manner, the two worst soccer nations of the former Nordreich Alliance met for their much-anticipated match of infamy at Transvaal’s worst sports “facility”, an abandoned overgrown pitch located some 3 or 4 kilometers outside of Gaborone in occupied-Botswana.

Televised nationwide across Transvaal and across the globe, the games only observers ended up being some two-dozen Tswana tribesmen who showed up just after half time, investigating the source of the ruckus which had chased away all the local game herds. The attendance numbers would plummet before the termination of the match when some elephants ambled on to the field and the Tswana were called upon to chase them away.

Switching our attention back to the game at hand, Napalm Frog would get 2 shots off in the first five-minutes, both going wide but it would be Hizzy who scored the lone goal of the entire game when Dasovic launched on a breakaway at the 20-minute mark and saw his shot deflected in off the boot of the Napalm Frog keeper.

Napalm Frog’s goalkeeper came up for an impressive block at 24 minutes but the remainder of the half was bland. At the half, both teams would have 3 shots tallied but all 3 of Hizzy’s had been on target. Hizzy’s defense was also doing a fine job to limit Napalm Frog’s attackers of the ball, with only 20% of the action seen in Hizzy’s defensive zone.

The second half would witness continued pressure from Hizzy’s offense as Napalm Frog’s keeper was the only real line of defense – although Napalm Frog did have two dangerous shots at around 70 minutes, one just going wide of the open net and another off the crossbar.

SCORING: Dasovic (Hizzy) 20:04

GAME STATS: Hizzy (7 shots; 6 shots on net; 1 corner; 55% possession); Napalm Frog (8 shots; 0 shots on net; 45% possession)

FLOW OF PLAY: 20% in Hizzy end, 43% in midfield, 37% in Napalm Frog end; Game Length: 90 minutes[/i] [/color]

[color="#006400"][b]WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31, 2010

THE WORST OF THE WORLD[/b]

[b]The Kingdom of Light 1, Pravus Ingruo 0 [/b](0-0 at half)

VENUE: Gaborone Civic Field, Gaborone

GAME STATISTICS: Shots: KLT 8; PRA 1; Shots on target: KLT 3; PRA 1; Tackles: KLT 10; PRA 10; Fouls: KLT 0; PRA 1; Bookings: KLT 0; PRA 0; Corners: KLT 3; PRA 1; Offsides: KLT 0; PRA 0; Passing: KLT 94%; PRA 89%; Possession: KLT 49%; PRA 51%

GOAL SUMMARY: KLT Mamadou Bagayoko (F) 87

GAME NOTES: Like many of the Worst of the World matches, not the finest exhibition of international football – although Pravus Ingruo, sporting their pink and black jerseys, were so inept at times that they made The Kingdom of Light look a true championship side. Pravus Ingruo’s goalkeeper was bombarded like under artillery fire and managed to keep the score low, only beaten in the final minutes by a breakaway attempt from Mamadou Bagayoko.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2uhb6yv.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Pravus Ingruo lining up to kick off in their pink sweaters[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/1269vrd.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]At times not the finest display of football[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/1zwm3qd.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Bagayoko scores with three minutes remaining to condemn Pravus Ingruo to humiliating defeat[/b][/i]

[b]The Kingdom of Light finished in 33rd place [/b](did not compete in 2009) = Nantes
[b]Pravus Ingruo finished in 34th place [/b](did not compete in 2009) = Palermo

[b]TRANSVAAL WORLD CUP IV – CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL[/b]

[b]The Cheeselands 2, Articuno Islands 2 (4-2 PK)[/b] (1-0 at half)

VENUE: Staatspresident Botha Stadium, Pretoria

FIRST HALF STATISTICS: Shots: CHL 2; ART 0; Shots on target: CHL 2; ART 0; Tackles: CHL 5; ART 4; Fouls: CHL 0; ART 0; Bookings: CHL 0; ART 0; Corners: CHL 0; ART 1; Offsides: CHL 0; ART 0; Passing: CHL 87%; ART 88%; Possession: CHL 49%’; ART 51%

AT END OF REGULATION: Shots: CHL 5; ART 1; Shots on target: CHL 2; ART 1; Tackles: CHL 13; ART 14; Fouls: CHL 0; ART 1; Bookings: CHL 0; ART 1; Corners: CHL 1; ART 1; Offsides: CHL 0; ART 0; Passing: CHL 87%; ART 92%; Possession: CHL 56%; ART 44%

FINAL MATCH STATISTICS: Shots: CHL 8; ART 3; Shots on target: CHL 3; ART 2; Tackles: CHL 20; ART 20; Fouls: CHL 0; ART 2; Bookings: CHL 0; ART 2; Corners: CHL 2; ART 3; Offsides: CHL 1; ART 0; Passing: CHL 88%; ART 91%; Possession: CHL 55%; ART 45%

GOAL SUMMARY: CHL Gruyère (F); ART Ewerthon (F) 70; CHL Gruyère (F) 101; ART Jan Koller (F) 120

PENALTY-KICK SHOOTOUT: CHL (4) 1-1-1-0-1; ART (2) 0-0-1-1-X; winning goal (MF) Wensleydale

GAME NOTES: Unlike the earlier sleeper played in Gaborone, the Championship Final was simply an incredible ending to the tournament. The match could not have been scripted better, complete with controversy, drama, and excitement. Observers are calling it the greatest match ever seen played at the Transvaal World Cup.

The Cheeselands got on the scoreboard very early, while many fans were still in the process of taking their seats, when Gruyère was fed the ball off the opening kick-off and found an opening through two defenders to catch the Articuno keeper Guillaume Warmuz flatfooted. The Cheeselands maintained control of the game for the next half hour or so but then momentum began to slowly shift in Articuno’s favour.

The Islanders were obviously fired up from their halftime pep talk as they came out hard against the Cheesemen. Eventually their hard work paid off when Ewerthon belted the ball past Cheeselandic keeper Limburg to tie up the match in the 70th minute. However once back in the game, Articuno began to stall and momentum shifted back to The Cheeselands. However neither side could find any mistakes to capitalise on – and to the surprise of no one, extra time was required.

At the 101th minute, it looked like Articuno Islands were handing the championship over on a plate when Evanílson Ferreira tripped up Emmental in the penalty box as he was moving in for the kill. The dangerous tackle gave Emmental a penalty shot from which he scored - and saw Evanílson thrown out of the game. Now down by both a goal and a man, the shorthanded Articuno Islanders continued to persevere against all adversity.

In the dying second of extra time, The Cheeselands coughed up a late cornerkick – and against all odds and beating the clock, Jan Koller beat Limburg for the ball and scored to force the game into a shootout.

Many fans felt that with the obstacle of playing shorthanded now past, that Arcticuno Islands would somehow strike good luck a second time – but that was not meant to be as The Cheeselands handily made swiss cheese out of Warmuz to win the shootout 4 goals to 2 and win Transvaal World Cup IV.

Regardless the outcome, fans felt this was the best match of the tournament – a fitting finale – and perhaps the greatest seen in the four years of the tournament. Once the initial player celebrations had quieted down on the pitch, both teams assembled at the centre line as Staatspresident Botha and Deputy Prime Minister Hendrik Strijdom made their appearance to award the Breytenbach Memorial Trophy – symbolic of the Transvaal Cup championship – to Gruyère, the captain of The Cheeselands team.

Throughout the tournament, there had been much speculation in the Transvaler press whether Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus would make the trophy presentation along with the Staatspreident – a rather macabre and uncomfortable prospect considering that the championship cup is named after Hans Breytenbach, the Transvaal Minister for Sport & Athletics who instituted the inaugural Transvaal Cup in 2007 and then one month later was later tragically murdered in cold blood by then-Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus on national television during a period of severe government unrest caused by FAN’s Operation Overlord. Ultimately, to the relief of what would have been an embarrassed government, Prime Minister van Matteus wisely stayed out of the public spotlight during the entire tournament and kept a low profile while Strijdom stood in for her at any official functions specifically requiring the attendance of the prime minister.

Botha then thanked all the teams and foreign supporters which had made the long journey to Southern Africa to participate in the annual event. He wished them all a safe journey home and expressed hope that everyone would return again next year to take part again in 2011 before he officially declared the successful and famous tournament over for another year.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/144cz61.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]The two finalists taking to the field in the deciding match[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/15x4e9l.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Guillaume Warmuz watches as The Cheeselands’ Gruyère’s unchallenged attempt sails past him[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2rxec79.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Ewerthon cannonades the ball past Cheeselandic keeper Limburg to tie up the match 1-1[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/9ih0qx.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Evanílson Ferreira trips up Emmental in the penalty box during extra time and finds himself expelled[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/s6udqr.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Gruyère beats Warmuz on the penalty kick[/b][/i]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/fcpuz4.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Jan Koller scores against Limburg in the final seconds of extra time to give Articuno Islands life support with the shootout[/b][/i]

[b]The Cheeselands won Transvaal Cup IV[/b] (+14 from 15th place in 2009) = AC Milan
[b]Articuno Islands finished in second place [/b](+22 from 24th place in 2009) = Borussia Dortmund
[/color]

Edited by Botha

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='01 April 2010 - 06:41 AM' timestamp='1270132860' post='2243715']Do I still get a complimentary gift bag for 6th place? Because that is a nice place to hit on our first year.[/quote]

[color="#006400"]You will at some point. This is how the prize allocations will go:

The Cheeselands 1st place = $3,000,000
Artucino Islands 2nd place = $2,000,000
Transvaal 3rd place = defered
Tahoe 4th Place = $1,000,000
Cataduanes 5th place = $750,000
Nos Tre Rebublic 6th place = $500,000

I just need to do some research first to make sure no one is affected by any alliance, treaty, or surrender restrictions. [/color]

[quote name='Sargun' date='01 April 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1270147984' post='2244128']Is there a "most improved" trophy?[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Nope, just the *one* trophy [/color]

[quote name='Sir Keshav IV' date='01 April 2010 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1270146362' post='2244093']Good cup. We can't wait for next years.[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Thanks. Interesting results. While I anticipated that The Cheeselands were serious contenders, never suspected Articuno Islands would come out of nowhere to make the finals. Also nice to see improvement amongst some of the regular participants. Cataduanes comes to mind, as when they first started out they were one of the most laughable squads. Also some surprising disappointments in the guise of Arcadian Empire, Sooners, and the defending champions Deutschland. Proof that it is harder to finish well in the preliminary round than it is to do well in the playoffs. [/color]

[quote name='Sargun' date='04 April 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1270433039' post='2248203']Too much prayer, not enough training.[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Ouch Sargun...

In all seriousness, I have no idea why you finished as poorly as you did except that ultimately *someone* (well two people) from the qualification round would end up not making the main tournament and then battle it out for the glory of worst of the world. From what I recall, your team did start okay early on but then began to slide. Honestly I am surprised Rhodesia actually qualified because that team (Huddersfield) is in my mind the weakest squad assigned to anyone.

Also, I have done up a comparison between final team finish/rankings for the four years. Unfortunately most of the rankings data for 2007 has been lost, so I have only been able to include those four nations (Transvaal, Deutschland, The Children of Odin, and Sooners) who are still competing today. [/color]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/6nqzqb.jpg[/IMG]