Transvaal Cup IV

Botha

[center][img]http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/sports/bigshots/032409/bs3.jpg[/img]
[i]Sarnunga Saints fans celebrating second consecutive victory, this one over Articuno Islands.

[/i][left][b]Sarnunga, Sarnungian Republic - [/b]
Sarnunga Saints fans were thrilled after their 2-1 victory over Articuno Islands, their second victory in as many games. After a disappointing loss to Tahoe, the Boys in Black and Gold (gold being the color back at home, white being the international color) came back by taking control of their next two games and head into a game with Espana with lots of momentum. The best scorers in the Pool D will go up against a lethargic Espana defence and are expected to raise a victory flag for the third consecutive time.
[/left][/center]

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

soon after their third consecutive tie, many reporters gains glimpses of the speech that Debate Land's coach was giving to his players. Someone had actually written it down.

"I sit here, not disgusted, but frustrated. We have done all that we can do to play well, and while we have tied 3 games, we needed those wins. The fact is that we are in dead last, if only because we could not score a single goal. Well, I challenge you, I challenge all of you to prove me wrong. Regardless of the !@#$hole our strikers and midfielders have dug us into, not scoring but 1 goal in 5 games. What madness is this! When I played soccer myself, teams with that kind of defense won championships, or at least had some resemblance of team unity. Meanwhile, I find sacks of crap, who can't score a goal to save their season. Look, we've got 2 games left. We win both, we may have a chance at getting to the last 16. but the fact of the matter is, that you strikers, midfielders need to pull your goddamn weight, we need goals, it's not that I don't think that you lot aren't trying- its that you aren't fighting enough. I swear on my honor as a man, that if we make that round of 16, I'll ensure that every man on this team, coaches, players, trainers, you name it will get a significan raise to their paychecks. But at any rate, we've got to score goals. The one time the defense screwed up was the only time you lot scored a goal. We can't afford that, and that is why we need your help. This team can get to places, but we need those wins and offense if we are to get to the cup at all."

as the locker room got quiet, the reporters were seen typing or shouting into phones as loudly as possible, as the same conversation rippled through Debate Land's borders and in the mind of every citizen... could the offense get them anywhere close to the final 16 of the Transvaal Cup?

[color="#006400"][IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qs05ti.jpg[/IMG]
[b]DAY 6 RESULTS – SUNDAY, MARCH 7[/b]

POOL A: J Andres defeated Arctica 2-1; Transvaal tied Dun Carrig 1-1; Cataduanes defeated Cascade 5-1; Prince Edward Island tied Arcadian Empire 1-1; Cataduanes defeated Arctica 5-0

POOL B: The Cheeselands tied Nos Tre Rebublic 0-0; Adeptes Mechanicus tied Jutopia Land 2-2; Disparu defeated Kevodia 2-0; Debate Land tied Viniland 1-1

POOL C: Mac Land defeated Voobaha 3-2; Uralica tied MLW worldwide 0-0; Costa Libertad defeated Deutschland 2-0; The Children of Odin defeated Kelton 3-0

POOL D: Tahoe defeated Articuno Islands 2-1; Promised Land defeated Rhodesia 2-1; Espana tied Sarnungian Republic 2-2; Sooners tied Killallippies 1-1

[b]DAY 7 SCHEDULE – MONDAY, MARCH 8[/b]

POOL A
Arcadian Empire vs Transvaal
Cascade vs Dun Carrig
J Andres vs Prince Edward Island

POOL B
Nos Tre Rebublic vs Kevodia
Viniland vs Adeptes Mechanicus
Disparu vs Jutopia Land
The Cheeselands vs Debate Land

POOL C
Mac Land vs Costa Libertad
Kelton vs Uralica
Deutschland vs MLW worldwide
Voobaha vs The Children of Odin

POOL D
Articuno Islands vs Espana
Killallippies vs Rhodesia
Sarnungian Republic vs Promised Land
Tahoe vs Sooners

- end of preliminary round -
[/color]

[color="#006400"]What I want to know is where the **** did Cataduanes come from? They were looking pretty 'meh' early on in the tournament but they defeated Transvaal yesterday and two back-to-back 5-goal wins today. Incredible. And scary too.

Also props to The Children of Odin on their solid 3-0 win. They are a team that generally doesn't do that well (due to team nationality selection) but still show up each and every year.[/color]

Edited by Botha

The locker room was quiet as the Voobahian players entered after the devestating 3-2 loss to Mac Land... only the sound of the shoes being put in travel bags echoed in the small room.

The lone voice heard was that of the manager...

"Gentlemen... I'm proud of each and every one of you. Though we lost today, all is not lost. Tomorrow defines what we have been working for. To advance we HAVE to win tomorrow. Not just win, but a decisive win. Yes, we do need help and a bit of luck in a couple other matches. But none of that matters if we don't take care of business ourselves agaisnt Odin. Here's the bottom line. We have to win by at least 5 goals. Nothing else will do. If other teams can put five goals on the board, then dammit, so can we!

So tomorrow... no matter what else happens to the teams ahead of us... we go out there and play for nation, for pride... and to be able to say, we did the best we could."

The reality wasn't as bad as the manager led his team to believe. The outcome of the Deutschland - MLW game was critical. A win or draw by the defending champions would give Voobaha a decent shot at advancement into the final 16.

But it's what the manager didn't say that had a major impact in the VooMan Groups advanement hopes. Even with a Voobaha win, they would have to pray that Uralica won their match by fewer goals. The supposedly needed five-goal win by Voobaha was a lofty target, but not a necessity.

The only certainty, was that a Voobaha win was needed, and that all Voobaha fans would be watching the scoreboard the rest of the day.

Edited by Voobaha

[color="#006400"]The tiebreaker formats in the Transvaal World Cup is governed by the rules laid out by the [i]Transvaal Voetbalsvereniging[/i] (Transvaal Football Union):

- most points
- most wins
- most ties
- higher GF (goals for)
- lower GA (goals against)
- head-to-head result

If two teams finish with identical records and have a drawn result in round-robin play, a playoff game would be required to break the tie in the standings.[/color]

[quote name='Voobaha' date='07 March 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1268025051' post='2217668']The outcome of the Deutschland - MLW game was critical. [/quote]

[quote name='Botha' date='07 March 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1267992976' post='2217118']POOL C
Mac Land vs Costa Libertad
Kelton vs Uralica
Deutschland vs MLW worldwide
Voobaha vs The Children of Odin[/quote]

[color="#006400"]No, I would actually say the outcome of the Kelton vs Uralica match is much more critical for Voobaha to adavance.

I think both Deutschland and Voobaha have decent chances to win their matches and those are almost given wins - so MLW is pretty much out of the picture and it boils down to the Kelton vs Uralica match to decide, which has a greater chance for an upset or draw. I think Kelton vs Uralica has a much greater chance for a result that swings in Voobaha's favour than the result of any other match.

Mind you, if I were a betting man I'd say Voobaha still has a slim to none chance to advance, as I think Uralica will probably get the full points and finish in 4th.
[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='08 March 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1268038613' post='2217849']
[color="#006400"]No, I would actually say the outcome of the Kelton vs Uralica match is much more critical for Voobaha to adavance.

I think both Deutschland and Voobaha have decent chances to win their matches and those are almost given wins - so MLW is pretty much out of the picture and it boils down to the Kelton vs Uralica match to decide, which has a greater chance for an upset or draw. I think Kelton vs Uralica has a much greater chance for a result that swings in Voobaha's favour than the result of any other match.

Mind you, if I were a betting man I'd say Voobaha still has a slim to none chance to advance, as I think Uralica will probably get the full points and finish in 4th.
[/color]
[/quote]

We see different sides of the same coin... IF MLW were to upset Deutschland, Voobahaian hopes at best would be on a tie breaker for 4th (with D'land, and possibly Uralica). On that point alone, a Deutschland win is critical. But as you pointed out, A Uralica win, brings in the tie breakers, which I dont want to see.

Best case for Voo: MLW loss (to stay at 7 points), Uralica loss or draw (to possibly get to 7 points), Voobaha win to move to 9 pts and sole possession of 4th.

[quote name='Voobaha' date='08 March 2010 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1268069148' post='2218079'] On that point alone, a Deutschland win is critical. But as you pointed out, A Uralica win, brings in the tie breakers, which I dont want to see.[/quote]

[color="#006400"]OK I see where you are coming from now, because Deutschland defeated Voobaha so they have the tiebreaker in the bag. You need them to finish in 3rd, because if they drop to 4th place you're out.

And I just noticed that I have Voobaha and Uralica in the wrong placement order, right now Uralica should be above Voobaha due to better GF.

Pool B looks like a real crapshoot... no clue who's going to finish 3rd and 4th there although I think Debate Land and Jutopia Land won't make the cut. [/color]

OOC: probaly, I think we need to win, and get a positive goal difference to advance (kind of like the US in the confederation cup last summer). but either way, it's been cool. is it something like we have to win by 5 goals or more, Jutopia has to win by at least 2 goals, and Viniland vs Adeptes Mechanicus cannot end in a tie for Debate Land to move on though? Also...4 ties in a row O.o, it's better than 4 losses, but still...

IC:

Another Tie, seems to be the streak for Debate Land's team. It was kind of funny, but at the same time, most diehard fans were shaking their heads. After the 4th tie in a row, and their final game being against the second place team in the league, it would take a miracle for the team to do well enough to advance. Either way, the team was confident, hoping to be the spoilers of an otherwise undefeated prelim for their opponets. Going to the standings, it was clear on what the team needed to do to win, and many of the religous centers in the country were filled as the calculations came out...

regardless of the other game, many bars and sports resturants had games keyed in to the 3 vital games in the prelim panel for the final days of the tournament...

Viniland vs Adeptes Mechanicus
Disparu vs Jutopia Land
The Cheeselands vs Debate Land

and many a prayer was said, noting the strange luck that was needed for Debate Land to advance...

[quote name='Firewater' date='08 March 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1268073959' post='2218137']I think we need to win[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Actually now I look at the standings and tiebreakers again, I don't think you and Jutopia can advance to the playoffs, because A.M. and Disparu both have more wins than you can possibly finish with. Anyways there is still the consolation round, so still some soccer to play for Debate Land.[/color]

[color="#000080"][IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/21d4qkm.jpg[/IMG]
[b]DAY 7 SCHEDULE – MONDAY, MARCH 8[/b]

POOL A: Arcadian Empire defeated Transvaal 2-0; Cascade defeated Dun Carrig 2-1; J Andres tied Prince Edward Island 1-1

POOL B: Nos Tre Rebublic defeated Kevodia 1-0; Viniland tied Adeptes Mechanicus 0-0; Disparu defeated Jutopia Land 1-0; Debate Land defeated The Cheeselands 2-0

POOL C: Mac Land tied Costa Libertad 0-0; Kelton defeated Uralica 1-0; Deutschland defeated MLW worldwide 3-0; The Children of Odin defeated Voobaha 1-0

POOL D: Articuno Islands defeated Espana 4-0; Killallippies defeated Rhodesia 2-0; Sarnungian Republic defeated Promised Land 1-0; Tahoe tied Sooners 1-1

[b]- end of preliminary round -[/b] [/color]

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='08 March 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1268108424' post='2218819']"Well, no qualifications for us...but we had a good run, winning as many as we lost, and that is a damn good showing for our first ever appearance in this tournament."[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Correction: Promised Land did qualify for the tournament - however they did not advance to the playoffs. But check the schedule, there is still the consolation round for (in your case) 17th-21st placement.[/color]

Things were quiet in the locker room after the team's first victory. They quickly keyed into the one game that would have made a difference, but with the game between Viniland and Adeptes Mechanicus ending in a tie, all hopes of a qualifying spot in the final 16 ended.

Regardless of not qualifying for the cup, spirits were high as the team chatted with reporters. While they were dissapointed, they knew that they had the chance to compete for a higher placing in their final two games. Knowing that they were in the top 75% of the bracket, they seemed to celebrate the night away, enjoying the fact that they'd beaten a far superior opponet. Fans were satisfied with the team's 1-0-4 record to finish the preliminaries after 2 straight losses, and were sure that the team could pull out two more victories before their competition was complete.

Edited by Firewater

[quote name='V The King' date='08 March 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1268119654' post='2219076']"The Vinilandese are very upset that the number of victories were used as the tie-breaking factor rather than the goal difference."[/quote]

[color="#006400"]"The system used encourages offense - something Viniland was sorely lacking. Too many drawn matches, where just 1 more goal to break one of those draws could have meant all the difference between 5th and 3rd place for Viniland." - Lukas Reitz, colour commentator for [i]Tele-Transvaal[/i][/color]

[color="#006400"][b][i]TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE SPORTNUUS[/i]
PREDICTIONS FOR CONSOLATION ROUND[/b]

[i]29th to 32nd PLACEMENT[/i]
Kelton (29) over Dun Carrig (30)
Kevodia (31) over Rhodesia (32)

[i]25th to 28th PLACEMENT[/i]
Arctica (25) over Voobaha (26)
Jutopia Land (27) over Espana (28)

[i]21st to 24th PLACEMENT[/i]
Sooners (21) over Uralica (22)
Debate Land (23) over Cascade (24)

[i]17th to 20th PLACEMENT[/i]
Promised Land (17) over MLW worldwide (18)
Prince Edward Island (19) over Viniland (20)[/color]

Edited by Botha