Transvaal Cup IV

Botha

The assistant coach entered the coach's office to go over some last-minute things before the games with Transvaal and Arcadian Empire, to find the coach rocking back and forth in his chair, hugging his legs with his knees up against his chin.

"gonnalosegonnalosegonnalosegonnalosegonnalose"

"Uh, Bob...?

...I'll be back later, Bob."

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ezequiel' date='03 March 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1267648708' post='2212909']Really? I lose the first two games in the last one, then the first two here as well... I think we need better training[/quote]

[color="#006400"]You're in tough up against 5 teams that have prior Transvaal Cup experience.Your best hopes are trying to gain wins versus Sarnungian Republic and Rhodesia and then hope for a lot of draws elsewhere - although those two teams are also looking at you the same way.

After two matches, I'd say the most surprising teams at this point are Promised Land, Costa Libertad, Nos Tre Rebublic, and J Andres. Promised Land hasn't done well in previous Transvaal Cups, J Andres always ends up with a (semi)-decent team that finds creative ways to stink up at the worst possible moment, while Nos Tre Rebublic is doing way better than should be expected from a pre-tournament qualifier squad - especially since they didn't look that great at the start of qualification. NTR reminds me of Voobaha (I think it was them) last year that came out of qualification and then had a good playoff run. Costa Libertad is one of those countries that has an immensly strong domesic and club prescense but have generally been lacklustre when playing at a national team level in the Transvaal Cup. [/color]

[quote name='Vedran' date='03 March 2010 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1267654524' post='2212992']Transvaal and Arcadian Empire[/quote]

[color="#006400"]I don't envy your position at all with all that lined up on your plate for today.[/color]

Fans lash out at "boring" football

Fans have expressed their disappointment at Dun Carrigs style of play after the teams first 2 matchs ended as a draw. " I have spent a lot of money to go to these games and expect to be entertained not for us to pick up draws when we have a team that is more the able to win if the play attacking football"

Next up for Dun Carrig is a highly anticipated match with Arcadian Empire and if we come away with a win all will be forgotten

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='03 March 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1267655030' post='2213001']I haven't participated in ANY previous cup[/quote]

You're right (after checking) but I thought off the top of my memory that you had. I wonder who I mistook you for...

[color="#006400"][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2qtg6bn.jpg[/IMG]

[b]DAY 3 RESULTS – WEDNESDAY, MARCH 3[/b]

POOL A: Transvaal defeated Arctica 2-1; Cascade tied Prince Edward Island 1-1; J Andres defeated Cataduanes 2-1; Arcadian Empire defeated Dun Carrig 3-2; Arctica defeated Arcadian Empire 4-0

POOL B: Nos Tre Rebublic defeated Adeptes Mechanicus 1-0; Disparu tied Debate Land 0-0; The Cheeselands defeated Kevodia 1-0; Jutopia Land tied Viniland 1-1

POOL C: Mac Land defeated Uralica 2-0; Deutschland defeated The Children of Odin 4-1; Costa Libertad tied Voobaha 0-0; MLW worldwide tied Kelton 1-1

POOL D: Articuno Islands defeated Rhodesia 1-0; Sarnungian Republic tied Sooners 2-2; Tahoe defeated Espana 1-0; Promised Land tied Killallippies 0-0

[b]THURSDAY, MARCH 4[/b]

[i]No matches scheduled, rest day for players (and Botha)[/i]

[b]DAY 4 SCHEDULE – FRIDAY, MARCH 5[/b]

POOL A
Transvaal vs Cascade
Prince Edward Island vs Cataduanes
J Andres vs Dun Carig
Arctica vs Cascade

POOL B
Viniland vs Nos Tre Rebublic
Adeptes Mechanicus vs Disparu
Debate Land vs Kevodia
The Cheeselands vs Jutopia Land

POOL C
Kelton vs Mac Land
Uralica vs Deutschland
Costa Libertad vs The Children of Odin
Voobaha vs MLW worldwide

POOL D
Killallippies vs Articuno Islands
Rhodesia vs Sarnungian Republic
Sooners vs Espana
Tahoe vs Promised Land[/color]

Debate Land's fans were pleased that the team did not lose another game. but still, more and more grumbles are heard about the offense being so poor in their entire existence in the cup. Though they did appreciate the tie and the points it earned.

[quote name='Firewater' date='03 March 2010 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1267669131' post='2213225']but still, more and more grumbles are heard about the offense[/quote]

[color="#006400"]I think a lot of teams are grumbling about their offense right now. By far the closest preliminary run seen in all four cups with only a few games I would consider anything close to being a blow-out...

...such as this shocker today:

[quote name='Botha' date='03 March 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1267667907' post='2213189'][b]DAY 3 RESULTS – WEDNESDAY, MARCH 3[/b]

Arctica defeated Arcadian Empire 4-0[/quote]

:blink: I kept checking that one to make sure I didn't read / write it down wrong. I even fired up teh game again after I had shut it down, just to make sure. No idea what happened in that match, my guess is Arcadian Empire lost a critical player to an early red card. [/color]

"I'm very pleased with the results so far. Especially the draw against Deutschland was an incredibly good result. Though I also realize that our next match against Mac Land is going to be equally tough and it would be yet another miracle could we get away with a point from that one."

[quote name='Martino' date='04 March 2010 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1267730920' post='2213887']"I'm very pleased with the results so far. Especially the draw against Deutschland was an incredibly good result. Though I also realize that our next match against Mac Land is going to be equally tough and it would be yet another miracle could we get away with a point from that one."[/quote]

[color="#006400"]C Pool is looking interesting. I was expecting Deutschland, Costa Libertad, and Mac Land would be curbstomping everyone else (like what The Cheeselands and NTR are doing in B Pool), but that really hasn't been the case so far with all the drawn matches. Apart from The Children of Odin, who look unfortunately weak, I think the battle for 4th spot in C Pool is wide open for anyone to take.

Speaking of B Pool, The Cheeselands look scary and reminds me of Arcadian Empire's run from last year. They are right now my darkhorse for the gold medal. NTR looks "scary" too but I think they won't make it out of the Final 16, they haven't faced any major strong opposition yet. [/color]

[color="#006400"]Biggest surprises so far...

POOL A: J Andres and Dun Carrig - I would normally expect them to be in opposite places in the table. Also Arcadian Empire should be doing better, disappointment so far. And how on earth they lost in probably the biggest upset ever seen in TWC play is anyone's guess.

POOL B: The Cheeselands I figured would do well (Top 4 finish in B Pool) but I'm now leaning towards a Top 4 finish overall as looking more realistic. Kevodia I thought would be challenging for a more stronger position.

POOL C: Nothing unusual going on here. Move along. These aren't the goalposts you are looking for.

POOL D: Tahoe is looking good but Sooners are a real disappointment after last year's run.[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='04 March 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1267733368' post='2213925']
POOL B: The Cheeselands I figured would do well (Top 4 finish in B Pool) but I'm now leaning towards a Top 4 finish overall as looking more realistic. Kevodia I thought would be challenging for a more stronger position.
[/quote]

Agreed, I'm disappointed with our showing! Kevodia's backpages are full of grumbling at the team's poor showing in the Traansvaal, with rumours that the KFA might have to review manager Ron Bassetson's position should Kevodia's performance not pick up...

After two draws and a 2-0 loss to the defending Cup champions, Pool C is setting up nicely for Voobaha... having already played 3 of the top 4 teams in the pool, even 3rd isn't out of the question.

Like many others, concerns are about the offense (1 goal in the three matches). The defense allowing 1.00 gaa is about what we've come to expect.

[quote name='Botha' date='03 March 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1267654696' post='2212994']
[color="#006400"] NTR reminds me of Voobaha (I think it was them) last year that came out of qualification and then had a good playoff run. [/color]
[/quote]
OOC: If you mean a first year Cup team that pulls a couple shockers on the way to Elite Eight, yeah... might be us.

Edited by Voobaha

[color="#006400"]While the players take a rest before tomorrow's (Friday) matches, now is as good as any to promote Liga Mundo - the Official Cybernations X11 football (soccer) league. If you enjoy the annual Transvaal World Cups, then why not sign up for Liga Mundo and manage a team year round with other Cybernations football fanatics?

Liga Mundo is 27 teams in 3 competitive divisions... and growing - our eighth season will get underway early next month so now is the perfect time to apply for a team.

To join Liga Mundo, go to http://www.xperteleven.com Once you have registered, search for League #138329 and submit an application to join the league. [/color]

[color="#006400"][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/5b4cyf.jpg[/IMG]
[b]DAY 4 RESULTS – FRIDAY, MARCH 5[/b]

POOL A: Transvaal defeated Cascade 3-0; Prince Edward Island tied Cataduanes 0-0; J Andres defeated Dun Carrig 1-0; Arctica tied Cascade 1-1

POOL B: Nos Tre Rebublic defeated Viniland 1-0; Disparu defeated Adeptes Mechanicus 2-0; Debate Land tied Kevodia 0-0; The Cheeselands defeated Jutopia Land 2-0

POOL C: Mac Land defeated Kelton 1-0; Uralica tied Deutschland 1-1; Costa Libertad defeated The Children of Odin 2-0; Voobaha tied MLW worldwide 0-0

POOL D: Killallippies tied Articuno Islands 1-1; Sarnungian Republic defeated Rhodesia 1-0; Sooners tied Espana 2-2; Tahoe tied Promised Land 1-1

[b]DAY 5 SCHEDULE – SATURDAY, MARCH 6[/b]

POOL A
Cataduanes vs Transvaal
Dun Carrig vs Prince Edward Island
Arcadian Empire vs J Andres

POOL B
Nos Tre Rebublic vs Disparu
Kevodia vs Adeptes Mechanicus
Jutopia Land vs Debate Land
Viniland vs The Cheeselands

POOL C
Mac Land vs Deutschland
Costa Libertad vs Uralica
MLW worldwide vs The Children of Odin
Kelton vs Voobaha

POOL D
Articuno Islands vs Sarnungian Republic
Espana vs Rhodesia
Promised Land vs Sooners
Killallippies vs Tahoe
[/color]

Debate Land fans aren't too concerned, the team has some points, and at the moment, a win springs them into the chase for a qualifying seed for the next round. at any rate, they were not as angry as usual, after seeing the defense play its normal, not allowing goals progress.

[color="#006400"][IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2rw5l4g.jpg[/IMG]
[b]DAY 5 RESULTS – SATURDAY, MARCH 6[/b]

POOL A
Cataduanes defeated Transvaal 2-1
Prince Edward Island defeated Dun Carrig 1-0
Arcadian Empire tied J Andres 0-0

POOL B
Nos Tre Rebublic defeated Disparu 1-0
Adeptes Mechanicus defeated Kevodia 1-0
Jutopia Land tied Debate Land 0-0
Viniland tied The Cheeselands 1-1

POOL C