TOP Warchests of the war

steodonn

[quote name='ty345' date='01 February 2010 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1264983200' post='2148680']
Oh, the irony! :P
[/quote]
What is ironic about it? Most of us stopped buying infra after we got last economic improvement. We didn't inflate our NS through land or masses of redundant infra. Two largest guys in TOP (LM and ExtremelyAverage) were relatively recent arrivals to TOP and had their own way of running nations. If I was LM I would have never bought past 14k infra, but then again, I would have never become #1 nation in CN either.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Saber' date='31 January 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1264983462' post='2148691']
What is ironic about it? Most of us stopped buying infra after we got last economic improvement. We didn't inflate our NS through land or masses of redundant infra. Two largest guys in TOP (LM and ExtremelyAverage) were relatively recent arrivals to TOP and had their own way of running nations. If I was LM I would have never bought past 14k infra, but then again, I would have never become #1 nation in CN either.
[/quote]
It's ironic because you have the reputation of caring about nothing but NS, when you said the opposite. Don't make me explain the joke, or it isn't funny :(

[quote name='ty345' date='01 February 2010 - 02:43 AM' timestamp='1264988600' post='2148934']
It's ironic because you have the reputation of caring about nothing but NS, when you said the opposite. Don't make me explain the joke, or it isn't funny :(
[/quote]
Reputation and image is completely different than fact. Anyone who is in TOP knows that we have never cared for NS, we cared for being effective at war. That's why we prioritized military wonders, why we bought nukes when they were expensive to maintain (years ago) and never grew above certain range (most of us).

I hope you see that we don't care about our NS now.

Oh, and my nation description is still (after years): "The Order of the Paradox comes first, my nation comes second! In Hoc Signo Vinces!" I think it summarizes view of most TOPers very well.

[quote name='KingEd' date='31 January 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1264981654' post='2148629']
On a serious note, does anyone know what LM's war-chest is ? Being that he is the largest nation in the game or was...I'd be interested to know how much he has saved up over the years.

But for the ones I saw here... 6bill, 7.8bill, you guys are insane! Go buy some dam Infra or Land or Tech, do something! lol. :lol1:
[/quote]

It's relatively large.

[quote name='greatmagnus' date='01 February 2010 - 03:41 AM' timestamp='1264992080' post='2149176']
Never cared for NS? They why all the back room deals about no nukes over the past wars?
[/quote]
I explained this many times but I'll do it again.

No first strike rule we had was a simple one. It's goal was to maximize the ratio of inflicted damage to received damage. In most wars we had an advantage in high ranks and we could saturate our opponents and conventionally destroy them. Damage they could inflict on us was very low as they cannot effectively kill 3 nations on their own. But if you bring nukes into the mix they can nuke us just as easy as we can nuke them.

So, obviously we preferred to keep it non nuclear for tactical reasons. Namely using our conventional advantage we held.

It's pretty analogous to having a gun in your hand, and a hand grenade and your opponent in a smallish room with you. You can keep shooting at him and kill him with the gun or you can throw the grenade and kill him and hurt yourself pretty badly as well. We preferred to kill him with the gun. We are not going to shoot ourselves in the foot.

*EDITED: Throw the grenade, not the gun :D

Edited by Saber

[quote name='Coursca' date='31 January 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1264965066' post='2148026']
You'd be surprised how much WC and infra you'll burn through in just a couple of weeks, LM.
[/quote]

Actually I'm pretty aware of how quickly they can go down. Yay for tech advantage though that lets me win more then I lose. I've fought in this range before and barely put a dent in it against similar targets and similar time range. Sadly, I forsee me being out of range of most people to redeclare on me, hope not but we'll see.

[quote name='Delta1212' date='31 January 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1264983056' post='2148676']
As a non-partisan comment, I have noticed that those of us with somewhat above average war chests tend to expect everyone else to have war chests above what they think is reasonable when we're put in charge of creating policy, but then everyone changes their mind when war arrives.

Alliances should really put the guy with the biggest war chest in charge of setting requirements, I think.
[/quote]

I saw your warchest calc and would say that although it has projected warchests lower then what we expect for similar levels, I am impressed by it for an open-recruitment alliance. And yes, those with large ones always expect higher then average from everyone else, probably why TOP has such high warchests is due to Vlad being the GD for so long and being in charge of it.

Edited by LiquidMercury

[quote name='Saber' date='31 January 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1264983462' post='2148691']
[/quote]

To be fair, most of my infra from 15k-18k (or at least a large % of it) came from donations. My NS has always been mainly from my tech and my higher land levels then other nations my NS (that do not engage in raiding). As we all know I do not put my nation rank before my military viability or sustainability.

[quote name='ty345' date='31 January 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1264988600' post='2148934']
[/quote]

As saber said, reputation is different from actuality. Also I find it ironic that someone from TR is saying this when you have CT as your top nation who has been a notorious person at fleeing from war. Gremlins and NPO (sad that NPO even denounced him during Karma war when they could of used the NS).

Edited by LiquidMercury

[quote name='LiquidMercury' date='31 January 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1264995837' post='2149433']
As saber said, reputation is different from actuality. Also I find it ironic that someone from TR is saying this when you have CT as your top nation who has been a notorious person at fleeing from war. Gremlins and NPO (sad that NPO even denounced him during Karma war when they could of used the NS).
[/quote]
CT hasn't been an infra hugger since Alden Peterson rogued him.

[quote name='flak attack' date='31 January 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1264997227' post='2149504']
[/quote]

Agreed, but just like it will take ODN many instances to get over the "optional" reputation, it'll take CT many instances to get over his reputation.

[quote name='flak attack' date='01 February 2010 - 04:07 AM' timestamp='1264997227' post='2149504']
[/quote]
Fair enough then. All I know about CT though is his history in Gremlins, which wasn't exactly heroic. What happened when ender rogued him?

[quote name='flak attack' date='31 January 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1264997227' post='2149504']
[/quote]

enderland... putting the fear of hippy in nations of any size...

[quote name='President Obama' date='31 January 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1264997950' post='2149544']
Fair enough then. All I know about CT though is his history in Gremlins, which wasn't exactly heroic. What happened when ender rogued him?
[/quote]
He went "Hey, this isn't so bad after all. In fact, I kind of like it" and that was that.

[quote name='Drai' date='31 January 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1264912517' post='2146567']
Tailsk: Total Money: $1,622,409,380
Iron Will: Total Money: $1,100,153,147
Telchar: Total Money: $2,881,968,681

Those are 3/5 I'm at war with, the latter 2 are from a couple days ago.
[/quote]
Oh what? I thought I killed all your spies!

[quote name='TailsK' date='31 January 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1265001755' post='2149692']
Oh what? I thought I killed all your spies!
[/quote]
Maybe if you read the pm you'd have seen a spy managed to gather intel at some point :smug:

I will admit those 50% odds have been around 30-40% for me though :(

[quote name='Vladimir Stukov II' date='31 January 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1264920651' post='2146976']
Well once I hit ZI I assume it will be like 10,000 days. :awesome:
[/quote]

During a lengthy stint in peace mode several months ago I worked out I had 666.64 [i]years[/i] worth of bills v collections. Which was nice.

[quote name='Prodigal Moon' date='01 February 2010 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1264982777' post='2148668']
That's what I'm saying. I don't understand how these nations got so big while saving so much. Donations? It is a mystery.
[/quote]

hint: the vast majority of them havent been in any wars. not real wars at least.

I've somehow been 10/10 in "Gather Information" spy ops.

One of my TOP foes has 3.5b, one has around 2.2b, one has a shade over 1b, and one has 300m or so. All had more than 100k NS at the beginning of the conflict. I don't know what Sam's warchest is like, yet.

Mine is around 450m, for now. :(

[quote name='Saber' date='01 February 2010 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1264993863' post='2149285']
snip
[/quote]

You always avoided war because you were afraid of the consequences. The only time you actually went ahead with it was when you had everything in check and you where 100% it will be an easy win on your side. It's a shame i don't have the irc logs of you and all the oldschool gov saying that any change is dangerous and how everything you worked for could be ruined.

What amuses me if anything is how this reminds of the NpO execution you guys performed, when i choose to leave for the curbstomped alliance (i.e. MK) rather than stay in the curbstompers' side. Remember how you advocated that those were different wars because GGA was the starter of that one and you couldn't handle the though of fighting alongside them, and how you wrote a separate CB. Gotta love how you're gritting your teeth saying this is the same war this time when you chose to pre-emptively hit us just after you made sure NpO couldn't and wouldn't support us.

In all honesty i still had some liking to TOP pre-war. Not anymore after though. Nothing lost for you, i know.