The March of Folly

Vilien

tmfwarflag.png

This war began, as all wars do, with a fundamental error of understanding. \m/'s decision, among others, to attack a sovereign body outraged those who saw it as a breach of communal trust. The issue was resolved, quickly, and seemed likely to disappear into the back pages of history. This was not so. One individual took it upon himself to right a perceived wrong. His word was strong enough to force the aggressors to relent, or so he thought.

Upon entering channels of diplomacy, ever full of the intent to provoke a war, AlmightyGrub was given that which he desired. \m/ members hurled racial slurs at the leader of a powerful and influential alliance. Such abject ignorance, or arrogance, placed these two alliances on a path of collision. Parties on both sides did their utmost to create conflict and discord from the very beginning of the negotiations. With an easy solution discarded in favor of belligerence, alliances marshaled their forces. The winds of war set the treaty web into a whirlwind of motion.

This unnatural conflagration placed friend against friend in an inane and purposeless struggle. Escalation dragged alliance after alliance into the storm. The earliest peace talks were destroyed by the vindictive issuances of petty tyrants. Emperor and Triumvirs showed themselves to be creatures driven and derided by vanity. It was from this moment that many of us were fully aware that we too would be involved in this struggle. Some welcomed it with open arms, some looked upon it with trepidation. They entered the fray and performed their service with bravery and dedication to their friends and allies. They were caught, as I am now, in a senseless combat.

We had embarked into a war with the flimsiest of pretenses. This struggle is meaningless. We do not fight to determine whether \m/'s actions, or even those of Polaris' raiding allies, were justified. We do not fight to teach a lesson to an imperialist who overstepped his bounds. That conflict is over, as it was before it even began. There is no purpose to this fighting beyond a demonstration of our inability to restrain ourselves. Do those proud, strutting hawks among you find no validation except in tangling with an imagined foe?

I find myself now standing amidst the foolhardy and reckless. The Order of Paradox declared war in haste and in vain. Your pretense for an opportunistic assault has been removed as quickly as your desired support. The writing on the walls was blood red. Were you too blind to see it? Did you ignore your senses and your reason? I hold an obligation, as did those who came before me, to honor the words of my agreements. The Moralist Front now faces war with our close friends in the Complaints and Grievances bloc. We do so at the behest of our traditional opponents, the serpents of history, The Order of Paradox and the Independent Republic of Orange Nations. We hold no stakes in this conflict and are as disinterested in its outcome as we were in the conflict between \m/ and Polaris. This war is as senseless as the one that preceded it. Yet we will march in, heads held high, for the idea of losing face is more detestable to us than our destruction.

This is the curse of the proud. The Moralist Front recognizes a state of war with every alliance that has attacked and will attack our allies in The Order of Righteous Nations. We wish those who fight us luck, and we are reassured to know that they will triumph over the pitiable opportunists who mar the names of TMF and TORN with their association.

Man's folly marches on.

Signed,

Vilien, Speaker of the Moralist Front

The General Assembly of the Moralist Front

This begs the question:

Why would you ally with TORN?

TORN has been a fantastic ally of ours since day one. Their leadership is a credit to the alliance, and I'm honored to be next to them. Their choice of allies isn't ideal, but it's the way things are at the moment.

Edited by Vilien

Vilien, I have not often had kind words to say about you. However, I support your actions here.

This war was not senseless, it was deliberately orchestrated by Grub (and perhaps others) to bring about precisely the situation you see before you: the final destruction of Citadel, and the apotheosis of CnG. Mark the leaders involved and their actions carefully, for they play a very dangerous game indeed.

Edited by bakamitai