Change to ground attacks depending on time of attack

Mordd

Admin's Cyber Nations Game Update Log

11-4-2007

- Nations involved in ground attacks performed between 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM game time will receive a 5% bonus to their technology bonus for attacking/defending at night. Ground attacks performed between 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM will receive a 1% bonus to their soldier efficiency strength. (Not considering your opponent, if you have less than 1,000 technology it is better to attack during the day otherwise it is better to attack at night.)

Can someone explain to me the logic or reasoning behind why this change was made?

CyberNations has a very diverse international player base, that is one of the things I like about the game, it is not dominated by 75% of players all being from the same country (America or China for example). Therefore although the game must be set to 1 timezone for obvious reasons, i don't understand why you would grant benefits to doing actions at a certain time and not at other times during every 24hr cycle, as most players in the game do not live in america and play at very different times to when american players may be online.

Now for myself in Australia, sure this is extremely convenient to me (provided i buy a bit more tech which is easily done), the 6pm to 6am game time window is when i make all my attacks, as this is currently 11am to 11pm for me on the east coast of Australia. I pity ppl in both America and other locations around the world though where this change is going to be very difficult for them, due to the different time zones that many players are from.

Due to this, I cannot understand for the life of me why this change was brought in, i can't see any benefit to the game or the player base from it at all. Especially as it leads me to think this will make ppl even more likely to only login around the 6pm - 6am window to attack, and not so much in the other 12rhs, rather than activity being spread around the clock more. Won't this have a negative affect at some times on the game servers by having a higher amount of ppl logged in during a concentrated time period?

Now obviously this was introduced for some reason, as its in the game now, and I know im a bit late on spotting it in the game update log, I just fail to understand myself what possible benefit this has to anyone in the game without unfairly advantaging a small percentage of the player base due to the diverse difference in time zones of the player base.

Edited by Mordd