Monsters Inc

Captain Enema

Just outside of Pamplona

caminomap.jpg

Dave yawms as he walks down the ancient pilgrim trail. The inn he's looking for shouldn't be too far off now. His early start after spending the night sleeping behind a rockwall has left him tired. It was far easier to sleep on the ground a few years back, but now that he's inching upwards in the years the ground seems to feel a bit harder each time he bothers. He thinks to himself, 'Not too much longer before I have to get a job'.

It could be worst he decides. His own brother, back in North America, sits behind a desk everyday churning out numbers. That's not something that could suit Dave. This young twenty sever year old lean and tall male has stood on every single continent on this planet and visited well over fifty countries. Given the turbulent state of the world Dave has dodged more wars, revolts, riots, air raids, and the occasional plague. His primary means of support is his camera.

Ever since he was a young boy he has liked taking photos. This hobby has turned into a profession for Dave. He uses his camera and modest writing ability with his ability to quickly learn languages to support him by writing travel articles. His current work involves doing the entire Camino De Santiago and writing a guided pictorial tour of the trail for a major guidebook company. Working for guidebook companies isn't something he normally likes doing for a very good reason.

The cellphone on his hip buzzes, he sighs, and he answers the phone knowing it is either his mother or his harridan of an editor. Once while drunk in South America after narrowly escaping a Zombie outbreak in Diberia he managed to confuse his mother with his editor and a few course phrases later his father had gotten on the found and given him the ear bashing of a lifetime for making his mother cry. Luckily for him it is neither his editor or his mother, it is a friend of his from Northern Europe.

"Marco, what are you bothering me for this early in the morning," grumbles Dave.

"Dave, Dave, Dave, this is Hal Dave.." chortles Marco.

"Are you wasted?"

"My friend, so harsh, I'm calling to invite you my summer villa in France."

"Since when do you have a summer villa?"

"Since yesterday, we found it unoccupied and have taken it over for the week."

"You sure that's a good idea Marco," asks Dave? Getting used to Marco's eccentric lifestyle isn't possible for someone like Dave who takes a dim view on committing felonies in the name of passing a few hours.

"No problems my friend! Come, visit, hold on one moment," says Marco as the sounds of the door being smashed own by the police can be heard in the background.

"Going out the back window again," asks Dave as he remembers a certain night in Venice?

"Opening it now, call you later Dave," exclaims Marco!

Dave laughs puts his cellphone away and keeps walking. He stops every now and then to take a photo and make a note in his notebook. The inn he's planning on spending a night at is just outside of Uterga and shouldn't be more than a few miles off. Hopefully, in a couple of hours he'll be sitting at a table with a cup of coffee and something greasy to eat.

(ooc: you can join in at anytime by either being at the Inn or wandering up on the trail.)

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Ever since being beaten by Markus in lower Spain, Scorpion headed for the ancient pilgrim trail in order to train himself and seek new enemies to kill. He still ad his signature spear, outfit and mask, though a visible cut could be seen in the lower armor from when Markus had stabbed him. As he walks along the trail, he thinks he sees the various animal, but pays no heed as he wants only a human opponent, as animals are far too easy for him to outwit. In an hour or so, he enters the Inn, sets himself at the bar and orders a drink, although non-alchoholic so he can better defend himself in case a barfight erupts.

Ever since being beaten by Markus in lower Spain, Scorpion headed for the ancient pilgrim trail in order to train himself and seek new enemies to kill. He still ad his signature spear, outfit and mask, though a visible cut could be seen in the lower armor from when Markus had stabbed him. As he walks along the trail, he thinks he sees the various animal, but pays no heed as he wants only a human opponent, as animals are far too easy for him to outwit. In an hour or so, he enters the Inn, sets himself at the bar and orders a drink, although non-alchoholic so he can better defend himself in case a barfight erupts.

Scorpion died. His drink was poisoned and he was robbed by barhoppers.

The moral of the story, kids, is don't be an asshat.

Upon arriving at the inn in Uterga, Dave saw an inn in flames. Flabbergasted by the damage and the flames that engulf the building he asked the inn owner what happened:

"What happened?" asked Dave

"It be the master Scorpions men," replied the inn keeper in broken English.

"But Scorpion was killed!"

"That'll be true, but his men seek revenge on those who cross Scorpion."

"What happened to Scorpion?"

"He be poisoned by a man named Dave."

"Do you know the face of Dave?"

"Aye, he be a tall man, from England. He's supposed to arrive anytime."

Dave feels a hand grab his shoulder...

OOC: Let's try something different. Props to SpacingOutMan for the name.

IC: Jebediah shook his head, trying to clear the headache. He got this every time he came back to civilization. Admittedly, the inn was rarely a problem, and the smells were fine (ok, terrific), but occasionally it got loud. Loud meant headaches for him.

But he did occasionally need supplies, despite being mostly self-sufficient--blades that wore out past their usefulness, occasionally tinder for a fire, and sometimes food when he wanted something the wild could not supply him with.

He stared at his drink morosely. The alcohol helped to dull the the developing migrain, but not much. It never did as much as it was supposed to--not since what had happened so long ago.

He took another swollow of the beer, looking up as another person walked in. He was always aware of his surroundings, whether he wanted to be or not. Part of his curse...

OOC: See, this is how you do it.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Dave walks into the Inn and looks around. Not much in the way of anything going on from what he can see, which is nice as he only wants a warm cup of coffee and breakfast. He sits down, makes an order, and waits quietly for his food to come. He takes out his digital camera, downloads his photos to his netbook, and does a bit of writing before he gets bored. Travel writing isn't his chosen field, but it is the field that supports his lifestyle.

Still, writing the same general thing over and over again gets old. He wonders at times if he should branch out into something different. Maybe write an entire book? Anything is possible with the amount of free time he has at his disposal. Most people work forty hours a week, he works about four. Not bad when you consider the trade off of hovering on the very edge of perpetual poverty. His other motivation is he is getting tired of the constant backpacker's lifestyle.

He can't even remember how many times he's woken up in a dorm room in a hostel filled with snoring drunk backpackers who haven't showered in over a week. It gets old quickly and Dave has taken to associating with the natives as often as he can to avoid the average gap year travelers. He looks around and finds that there only seems to be one other person sitting down, so out of the spirit of curiosity he calls over to the person, Jebediah, and asks,"You from around these parts?

OOC: Charlamagne's post did not happen, carry on.

Upon arriving at the inn in Uterga, Dave saw an inn in flames. Flabbergasted by the damage and the flames that engulf the building he asked the inn owner what happened:

"What happened?" asked Dave

"It be the master Scorpions men," replied the inn keeper in broken English.

"But Scorpion was killed!"

"That'll be true, but his men seek revenge on those who cross Scorpion."

"What happened to Scorpion?"

"He be poisoned by a man named Dave."

"Do you know the face of Dave?"

"Aye, he be a tall man, from England. He's supposed to arrive anytime."

Dave feels a hand grab his shoulder...

Dave was, unfortunately, in Uterga, Mexico. The inn there had burned down and Dave was quickly killed by a large gang of Mexican children wanting some bubblegum.

Dave walks into the Inn and looks around. Not much in the way of anything going on from what he can see, which is nice as he only wants a warm cup of coffee and breakfast. He sits down, makes an order, and waits quietly for his food to come. He takes out his digital camera, downloads his photos to his netbook, and does a bit of writing before he gets bored. Travel writing isn't his chosen field, but it is the field that supports his lifestyle.

Still, writing the same general thing over and over again gets old. He wonders at times if he should branch out into something different. Maybe write an entire book? Anything is possible with the amount of free time he has at his disposal. Most people work forty hours a week, he works about four. Not bad when you consider the trade off of hovering on the very edge of perpetual poverty. His other motivation is he is getting tired of the constant backpacker's lifestyle.

He can't even remember how many times he's woken up in a dorm room in a hostel filled with snoring drunk backpackers who haven't showered in over a week. It gets old quickly and Dave has taken to associating with the natives as often as he can to avoid the average gap year travelers. He looks around and finds that there only seems to be one other person sitting down, so out of the spirit of curiosity he calls over to the person, Jebediah, and asks,"You from around these parts?

Jebediah looked up with a surprised expression. Usually people left him alone, and really, that was how he preferred it. But it wouldn't do to get rid of the man by being rude--that might attract too much attention.

"Lived here for a couple decades," he replied, giving away as little information as possible, then taking another swallow of his drink. That wasn't the complete truth, but considering his lifespan, it was, relatively speaking; it was also the only thing the man would believe. He looked the part of a man aged thirty-five, but he'd lived here for two centuries, after fleeing hunters from the British Isles.

The other Dave is waiting for Jebediah to respond in Spain.

OOC: give me a chance, eh? :P

"I'm just passing through myself," replies Dave. He takes a drink of his coffee and savors the taste before adding,"I have a deadline to meet with my editor, and he's being a total bear about it. I've been looking for unique sights along the Camino De Santiago that haven't been well covered in other guidebooks, but so far I haven't had much in the way of luck." With that being said Dave takes another bite of his breakfast and waits intently for a response from Jebidiah.

"Hmm." Jebediah finished off the last of his drink, setting the mug down on the table as he listend to Dave. "So you're a guidebook writer," he stated, not asked. Despite himself, he was feeling a little curious. He hadn't seen much of the world other than the local region, and what he had seen as a youth was undoubtedly changed beyond all recognition. he wasn;t going to go out there to look for himself, but perhaps while he had the opportunity, he could ask.

"So what other places have you been?"

He signalled the waiter that he was ready to order breakfast. He'd already sold a few things, enough to pay for a good meal and any extra supplies he might need.

Dave smiles and takes out a map after he pushes aside his plate. The map, a personal item he carries with him in a plastic pouch, is marked with all the different countries he has traveled in. It clearly shows most of Europe, parts of Asia, parts of Africa, and most of South America as places he has visited. He looks at Jebediah and says, "I've visited about 52 countries so far," and leans back to let him see the various places he has visited. He looks at Jebediah more carefully and decides to ask, "So what do you do around these parts?"

Jebediah whistled appreciatively. "I could only wish to travel so far," he stated absently, as he picked up the map for a moment.

But Dave's question reminded him abruptly why he didn't mix a lot with others, and he set the map back down. "This and that," he replied, uninformatively. Mostly he just gathered what he needed from the few areas that were still uninhabited. "I don't really do much other than survive out there," he indicated the world outside the inn, "and occasionally visit this place for the food."

"I bet you have seen some real never before seen sort of things out there," Dave comments and he thinks to himself for a minute. 'Could this be an opprotunity to jump off the Camino De Santiago completely and hit up some areas never really seen by most guide book writers?' he asks himself. He debates back and forth with himself for a few minutes and finally says, "I wish I could get back into some of those areas. My editor probably would pay top dollar for some fresh material. You wouldn't believe how many times the same worn out stuff has been submitted for publication."

With that said he takes up his cup of coffee and takes another drink as he enjoys the rich taste of the Spanish blend. Quite good all in all and much better than some of the other coffee he's drank over the years.

"I suppose you're right," he said cautiously. [i]'He's asking me to be a guide,'[/i] Jebediah thought, almost incredulously. He had nodded at the comment--it was true enough. But most of the things he'd seen probably would not be things other people would want to see. Then again, if someone wanted to pay money for this, it might be worth it. He wouldn't have to come back into civilization for a long time.

But even if Dave wouldn't likely believe him, he had to warn the man. "Just so you know, it's more dangerous than most might think. I would be lying if I said it couldn't prove fatal. If you still want to go..." Jebediah shrugged. "I'll be ready to go in the morning, 6 AM sharp."

OOC: Come on, people, no one else wnats to try? We just ask that you be moderately believable in creating your character.