Wonders

Nova Blue

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

--If you had a choice, which of these Wonders would you choose first and why?

--Also, what order would you put them in for obtaining and why?

I left out some of the higher costing Wonders (whether it be requirements/Levels or shear $$$).

If you're unsure of which Wonder does what, here's the list of them: Here

• DRA
  • FAB
  • Pentagon
  • SM
  • FAC
  • IS
  • NRL
  • SSS
  • AADN

--Mags

With economic wonders I use the handy calculator (I would normally link you to it, but I'm not able to from where I'm posting) to determine which would be the most benefical to my people. In my case it was the SM. Some people suggest the interstate first, but I'm not a normal person. :awesome:

So, to answer your question, I would go SM first for the 10$ income boost.

After that,

SSS- Tax the *&^$ outta them.

GT- Happiness bonus, plus you can choose whatever religion you want and your slav..... I mean people will always be happy with your choice.

GM- Same as GT, only Government can be whatever you want

ISS- I still don't have this and kind of regret not buying it sooner. They say the long-term effects of this wonder makes it the best long-term choice.

After those five, (and only if you can afford not to go with another economic)I would go military. Which means NUKES!! :nuke:

Of course, I'm not even close to being an expert, or even half way smart, so the above is my opinion and should probably not be taken to heart. :)

Stock Market first, as it is one of the best economic wonders and also one of the cheapest. Generally followed by the SSS.

After that it depends a lot on the path you want to take your nation on. You could go for the Interstate if you plan on doing a big infra jump, or the DRA if you want to import lots of technology, or you could even start with military wonders. The Great Temple and the NRL are other good economic wonders if you wouldn't use the extra slot from the DRA.

I would never advise anyone to get a military wonder first.

Great replies so far guys (keep 'em coming :) ).

For those who support a SM first, would you say that the 3% Pop boost and extra Aid slot the DRA offers counters that? For example, in about a Month you could repay the DRA, and would also get at most $18 Million in Tech deals every other Round if you went full slots. 2 Full Incoming, and you're almost there in repaying the DRA when combined w/ the additional Citizens (and possible Improvement Slots) the DRA would generate.

[/2 Cents] :)

--Mags

I found the SSS to be better than the SM and so have a lot of others. The 2% tax increase helps tremendously

By and large you would be incorrect. At the time one is ready to buy their first wonder, starting their wonder clock is the first priority. The earlier the better. The SM is the cheapest of the major wonders and gives the same benefit as the +5 happiness wonders costing $5 million more. It's $10 million cheaper than the SSS. That means fewer days saving hence starting your wonder clock earlier than you would buying the SSS. Yes, that 2% does help tremondous, just not as much as you think at the time you should be buying your first wonder. My experience is at the point a nation should be buying their first wonder, the income from the SM is actually slightly ahead of what the SSS would bring in at the start. The power of that 2% is that as you add more economic wonders, the income from the SSS increases as well. So in time the SSS is the better wonder, just not as a first wonder. Even if you had the $40 million banked on the day you wanted to purchase your first wonder and would be able to start the wonder clock the same day with either wonder, you would be better off buying the SM and investing the $10 million into infrastructure.

[quote name='Jinnai' date='30 January 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1264905796' post='2146280']
Economic wonder-wise, if you have the req, NRL is better than SM. However, if you have are in a position to make such a choice to make I'd have to question your nation building skills.
[/quote]

I'd have to see some numbers since I don't see how it's possible as a first wonder which is the premise of the topic. For the NRL's 5% increase to population to even be equal to the SM, a nation would have to have a gross citizen income of $415 with no labor camps and you're talking it being better which requires even higher gross incomes. It's just not possible to reach gross incomes that high without wonders.

[quote name='Count Rupert' date='31 January 2010 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1264922142' post='2147044']
I'd have to see some numbers since I don't see how it's possible as a first wonder which is the premise of the topic. For the NRL's 5% increase to population to even be equal to the SM, a nation would have to have a gross citizen income of $415 with no labor camps and you're talking it being better which requires even higher gross incomes. It's just not possible to reach gross incomes that high without wonders.
[/quote]

NRL would be better than an SM because if you use the CNExtend tool it does give about the same amount of money. Then figure in the extra population and also figure in that you can prolly buy 1 or 2 more income/happiness/population boosting improvements...that is how the NRL can be better than the SM.

[quote name='Fernando12' date='01 February 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1265046436' post='2150705']
NRL would be better than an SM because if you use the CNExtend tool it does give about the same amount of money. Then figure in the extra population and also figure in that you can prolly buy 1 or 2 more income/happiness/population boosting improvements...that is how the NRL can be better than the SM.
[/quote]

It doesn't look that way to me. I have both wonders. These are the numbers from CNExtend.

Delete the Stock Market, and my income would drop by $111,663 a day.

If I delete the National Research Lab, my income would drop by $48,041 a day, and I would lose just over 2,000 citizens (ie, two improvement slots.)

I'm clearly making a lot more profit off of the SM than the NRL. And the SM is $5M cheaper to purchase.

I'm not in a "collection" mode, so perhaps the numbers would be different if I was.

I do recommend that people use CNExtend to help decide which wonder/improvement to get. For those that don't know, it's a FireFox extension, and you can [url="http://www.babelphish.net/cnextend/download/"]DL it here[/url].

Edited by Baldr

[quote name='Fernando12' date='01 February 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1265046436' post='2150705']
[/quote]

Again, we're talking about a nation with no wonders buying their first wonder. It's impossible to have a gross income high enough from only resources/improvements for the NRL to be equal to the SM let alone greater, it takes wonders to get the necessary income for what you say to be true. For the NRL to be equal, you need a gross citizen income of $415 without labor camps. That's the point that one percent of population is equal to one happiness point. So yes eventually the NRL does become better than the SM, but until you reach $415 of gross income the SM is better; just not as a first wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

The power of the NRL is that it lets you buy more soldiers during war. :awesome: I got the NRL as my very first wonder for that reason. Probably not the best decision, but I was young.. :blush: Also, +1 or +2 improvement slots probably means you'll get to buy Intelligence Agencies or Churches which decreases the gap between the SM and NRL.

Edited by Viluin

[quote name='Viluin' date='11 February 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1265904640' post='2174850']
The power of the NRL is that it lets you buy more soldiers during war. :awesome: I got the NRL as my very first wonder for that reason. Probably not the best decision, but I was young.. :blush: Also, +1 or +2 improvement slots probably means you'll get to buy Intelligence Agencies or Churches which decreases the gap between the SM and NRL.
[/quote]

Yes. the NRL dos allow more soldiers. But at the level we're talking the NRL will increase population about 2500 citizens meaning an increase in soldiers of 2000. So 42,000 soldiers instead of only 40,000, not a deal breaker. The extra slots the NRL brings has some merit, but not as an economic argument. Economically, a nation should not be buying wonders until they have all the economic wonders.

[quote name='Count Rupert' date='11 February 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1265919783' post='2175385']
Yes. the NRL dos allow more soldiers. But at the level we're talking the NRL will increase population about 2500 citizens meaning an increase in soldiers of 2000. So 42,000 soldiers instead of only 40,000, not a deal breaker. The extra slots the NRL brings has some merit, but not as an economic argument. Economically, a nation should not be buying wonders until they have all the economic wonders.
[/quote]

Will a nation have all economic improvements @ 3999 infra? I don't think so.. maybe with every single pop booster resource. It's been a long time since I've bought improvements at that level though.

Edited by Viluin

[quote name='Seron' date='11 February 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1265898344' post='2174710']
Stock Market because it is one of the cheaper ones and it has a very nice benefit. ;)
[/quote]

I'd have to agree here...though IMO the DRA and SSS do carry some mighty good Pros behind them for their Camp's arguments.

A lot of people are failing to take into account the cost of the Wonders in ADDITION to the benefits here. :)

IMO the Top 5 Eco-Wonders to get are (in order):

--SM
--SSS
--GM (this before the GM because of the removal of the Gov't issue)
--GT
--DRA

--Mags :)

[quote name='Nova Blue' date='11 February 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1265929622' post='2175762']
IMO the Top 5 Eco-Wonders to get are (in order):

--SM
--SSS
--GM (this before the GM because of the removal of the Gov't issue)
--GT
--DRA

--Mags :)
[/quote]

It continues to infuriate me how people think the Great Monument is better than the Great Temple. +5 is better than +4 with a chance of +5.

[quote name='Seron' date='12 February 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1265980833' post='2177491']
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SM only $10,000 so then even a small nation could easily buy it.
[/quote]

The Stock Market costs 30 million dollars. I'm not sure where you got $10 000, even improvements aren't that cheap.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='12 February 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1265989873' post='2177665']
It continues to infuriate me how people think the Great Monument is better than the Great Temple. +5 is better than +4 with a chance of +5.
[/quote]

I've tried explaining this to multiple people and I feel your pain. A lot of experienced players make this mistake because they want added flexibility in government choice, without realizing they will receive the exact same happiness bonus regardless of which wonder they have.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='12 February 2010 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1265989873' post='2177665']

The Stock Market costs 30 million dollars. I'm not sure where you got $10 000, even improvements aren't that cheap.
[/quote]

Oh yea...looking at wrong thing.

@Brennan: :D , the order of those "Great" Wonders IMO are flexible that list I posted...my point being they should be in that group of timing when considering to buy (IE: after the SM). :)

Which would you guys say would be the better option between the two (IE: choosing in order): SSS or GT? :)

Edited by Nova Blue