Report Forum Issues Here

admin

On Internet Explorer (this is not my home PC, no choice) the quote tags in posts are intruding on the Avatar column

I've been told this happens with IE6. If that's what you're using you should probably either upgrade to IE8 or use another browser. IE6 has a lot of security holes. As well as the nice benefit of not displaying some types of HTML correctly.

I've used that link multiple times, I can't seem to reproduce it. What browser are you using?

I've used it twice now and am not having an issue either.

Hmm, not a bug per se, but was the acronym tag removed? It doesn't appear to be in the list of tags anymore, though I haven't tried it manually. I'll just do that now, I guess. :Plol

Yeah, gone. <.< Is there some reason it didn't work, wasn't deemed needed, etc., or can we have it back?

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='30 January 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1264908010' post='2146390']
When I try to upload a new avatar I get this message

The upload failed - there was a problem moving the avatar to the uploads directory. Please verify permissions are set correctly on the uploads folder.

I'm using Firefox.
[/quote]
I got this error too when I tried it

I believe the upload directory needs to be chmodded to 777 to ensure file uploads

[quote name='Diablofan' date='30 January 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1264912743' post='2146575']
I got this error too when I tried it

I believe the upload directory needs to be chmodded to 777 to ensure file uploads
[/quote]

This should be fixed now. Please verify.

[quote name='Cyber Nationz' date='06 February 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1265437545' post='2163561']
Hello,

I am not allowed to use the Messaging system anymore. :unsure:

every time i click on it i get this error:

[#10227] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system.
[/quote]

[quote name='Vivi' date='26 January 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1264488497' post='2131320']
Yes, that was all turned off for a bit to increase performance. If the next few nights are at least as active as things were tonight you can expect it to happen again around update.
[/quote]

Big war = many people on the forums = slow forums = some features temporarily off around update

[quote name='Onified' date='07 February 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1265501855' post='2165451']
When you view a person's profile, and this message comes up "Person has not set their status," the word "their" needs to be changed to his/her or otherwise it is an incorrect use of grammar
[/quote]
Hardly.

[i]*puts on his English Wizardry Hat*[/i]

Usage of they as a singular neuter pronoun goes back hundreds of years, and its previous forms before then, due to the lack of a neuter pronoun. It is my understanding, in fact, that it's due in no small part due to (And possibly even a direct evolution of) the Old English "hira" (Plural genitive, "his"). Shakespeare used "their" several times as a singular neuter pronoun, and according to Wikipedia (O glorious bastion of truth that anyone can edit) both the "Chicago Manual of Style" agrees with it, and the "Cambridge Guide to English Usage" agrees with it. These three sources are more authoritative than both of us combined.

The fact is that there is no way to please everyone with this, because there are a group of people who insist that whilst "it" can refer to either a male or a female, "their" cannot refer to either an individual or a group. The argument seems to be due to the fact that verbs conjugated with "their" typically take the plural form when a plural is given... And not much else. Nonetheless, the same people argue that a corporation takes the singular form (e.g. Microsoft [i]has[/i]).

It could be argued, in fact, that the reason that the English language no longer has a neuter pronoun is due to the devaluing of women in the past. Certainly, the most recent push for gender-neutral language has been as a direct response to the feminist movement. I'd posit as an uncited opinion that the reason it fell out of usage was because women historically had a much-reduced value to society, regardless of their contribution. Times have changed, and language changed with it... [i]Five hundred years ago[/i]. We've used "their" as a singular pronoun since, because it's the only "clean" way to do so. Whilst it is true that "his" has been used as a neuter pronoun historically, it has faded almost entirely from use due to cultural evolution reaching the point it should have done a few thousand years ago, and starting to take the role of women seriously enough to be confused over usage of "His".

TL;DR: "Their" is perfectly valid in this case according to multiple highly-credible sources, and history itself.

Edited by Arloria