How the NpO ruined the world as we know it

Fantastico

225pxgeorgesjacquesdant.jpg

L'audace, et toujours de l'audace

Tonight, as the skies are again filled with
fire
and
smoke
, the voices of treaty huggers everywhere vacillate between loud protests and hushed whispers, minds racing between admiration and paranoia.

"The audacity of Polaris! How could she endanger her friends?"

Many voices return with cries of "But this needed to be done!"

A few who cannot accept this repeat, "But not this way!"

"Oh, but it is such a wreckless audacity!"

Polaris and others answer, "But we are still friends! Why should this change that?"

Nevermind that we are friends," a few fire back, "You go too far! The world as we know it can never be the same!"

"How dare you endanger our alliances, aye our very friendship by forgetting the complexity and the reach of our many, so thoughtfully planned and layered treaties?"

Others remind them, "It is these very treaties that paralyze courage and silence principles. The overinflated value we give to these treaties is what keeps anything from being done!"

From another side of the treaty web, more voices cry out, "It is in these new entangled blocs that new and even greater levels of unaccountability are being facilitated!"

A chorus of voices, imbued with not just a little paranoia, reply "But please, think of our TREATIES! It is all that we have to
prove
our friendship!"

Some Audaciously Obvious Ramifications of this Conflict:

1. The NpO has reminded us why the karma coalition was so named.

2. The NpO's actions have reminded every bloc of Planet Bob, military or otherwise, that what unites them is not universal and that what separates them is not as black and white as they want to believe it to be.

3. The NpO has reminded every alliance that while we live in a world colored in grays, this does not remove responsibility. And this does not excuse inaction.

4. On the other side, \m/ has reminded us that it still takes a great show of willful arrogance from a self-isolating alliance or bloc to move alliances into action.

5. The NpO has shown that friends and treaty partners do not have to agree on everything 100% of the time to be friends and treaty partners.

6. And a question festers: Do we want to live in a world where obedience to the "law," as so many here refer to our received treaty tradition, is more important than its spirit?

As the pedants say, make no mistake about it, the NpO has taken a great step in ruining the world as we know it. For that, even \m/ owes some gratitude to the NpO.

Audacity, still more audacity, indeed.

P.S. \m/, thank you for this too, for without your consistency, this might not have happened so quickly and in such a grandly audacious fashion.

Edited by Fantastico

They were on Karma's "side", so regardless of what you or they say, they'll always be considered "Karma".

:awesome:

No. They weren't. They actually sent aid to NPO during the war, as well as an equal amount of aid on the Karma side. Grub posted quite clearly on the main forum that they were not a part of Karma, were not on Karma's side and would ONLY enter the war in defense of their allies in STA.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...c=55190&hl=

Edited by pezstar

No. They weren't. They actually sent aid to NPO during the war, as well as an equal amount of aid on the Karma side. Grub posted quite clearly on the main forum that they were not a part of Karma, were not on Karma's side and would ONLY enter the war in defense of their allies in STA.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...c=55190&hl=

There wasn't some kind of official Karma roster that alliances asked to be kept off of. It's just the name used to describe everyone who fought on that side of the war; of which Polar was one. No matter how much they try to distance themselves from their participation, it's too late. They fought in the war. They are affiliated with the name for forever. :D

Next you'll tell me Polar wasn't really a part of ~.

There wasn't some kind of official Karma roster that alliances asked to be kept off of. It's just the name used to describe everyone who fought on that side of the war; of which Polar was one. No matter how much they try to distance themselves from their participation, it's too late. They fought in the war. They are affiliated with the name for forever. :D

Next you'll tell me Polar wasn't really a part of ~.

What? Quit being absurd. If Grub says in the first place that they werent a part of Karma during the war, why the hell would they be automatically a part of Karma long after it's ended?

What? Quit being absurd. If Grub says in the first place that they werent a part of Karma during the war, why the hell would they be automatically a part of Karma long after it's ended?

Because he was saying that Karma is just a name of that side.

Now if Polar had actually fought on both sides, then there would be something. Fact of the matter is Polar did not actually fight for The Hegemony. Karma is just an overreaching name, just like Aegis, or "The Unjust Highway" or ~ or any of those.

I don't see what the big deal is, but if it actually matters call Polar the "We were on Karma's side, but not really" coalition.

Edited by Earogema

Because Polar's actions in the war directly contradict that? They declared war on DOOM and ML as part of the Karma War, which automatically makes them a part of the Karma war coalition. I don't care what their reasoning was or whether they wanted to be associated with the group or not, the fact is they contributed to the Karma war effort and can therefore be labeled as "Karma". They might as well have said "we aren't involved in this war" in their DoW. It wouldn't be any more true, though.

I seem to end up having this same argument every few months or so. If things follow the same pattern D34TH should show up soon and quote the DoW to me, and then at some point Grub will show up and call me a nobody. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a new insult. :D

If I can be of some additional assistance, the point of this sarcastic headline and content is to remind some friends who fought on the Karma side that a manic focus on strengthening and multiplying treaty ties can adversely affect good judgment.

Ironically, the Undiscovered Country pact was signed before the Karma War. Unless you're referring to some other treaty. :huh:

Because Polar's actions in the war directly contradict that? They declared war on DOOM and ML as part of the Karma War, which automatically makes them a part of the Karma war coalition. I don't care what their reasoning was or whether they wanted to be associated with the group or not, the fact is they contributed to the Karma war effort and can therefore be labeled as "Karma". They might as well have said "we aren't involved in this war" in their DoW. It wouldn't be any more true, though.

I seem to end up having this same argument every few months or so. If things follow the same pattern D34TH should show up soon and quote the DoW to me, and then at some point Grub will show up and call me a nobody. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a new insult. :D

Not today Josephine, I am saving all my witty names for others today.

1. The NpO has reminded us why the karma coalition was so named.

Very well written overall.

And yes, there is the Karma Coalition of Alliances

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Karma

and then there is the philosophical tradition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

(OOC: If a group names a coalition after a philosophical tradition, it isn't exactly something that is easy to copyright. ;))

Edited by White Chocolate

Ironically, the Undiscovered Country pact was signed before the Karma War. Unless you're referring to some other treaty. :huh:

I am not referring to any specific treaty. The problem today is that the Karma brand did mean something and people seem to want to forget that.

Whether you agree with the NpO or not, it took some great bravery by them to remind us what it takes today to do the right thing.

Why is this current conflict relevant to the Karma War at all? This one is about proper conduct - that one was about a multitude of things which did not include proper conduct. Please explain.

It is relevant only in that some who fought on the side of "karma" think they now have a free pass to do whatever they want to in the name of "freedom" or are doing the right thing simply because of that old label.

I absolutely agree with you that this is about proper conduct, especially since I think the old karma talk has clouded the judgment of many.

edit:

Very well written overall.

And yes, there is the Karma Coalition of Alliances

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Karma

and then there is the philosophical tradition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

(OOC: If a group names a coalition after a philosophical tradition, it isn't exactly something that is easy to copyright. ;))

Thanks, I missed your reply as I was posting.

Edited by Fantastico

No. They weren't. They actually sent aid to NPO during the war, as well as an equal amount of aid on the Karma side.

No, they didn't. They said they were going to, but they did not aid NPO during the war. After the war, of course, NPO was under terms and wouldn't have been allowed to accept aid even if NpO offered.

No, they didn't. They said they were going to, but they did not aid NPO during the war. After the war, of course, NPO was under terms and wouldn't have been allowed to accept aid even if NpO offered.

No, they did aid NPO and almost got attacked for it.