Shouldering the Burden

Schattenmann

Out of Game Recruitment  

383 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is confusing when read, even to me, so I'll indicate people by letters to make it easier to understand: I was recruited by a friend (X) on the same day that he heard about it from his friend (Y) --who had already been playing it for about a month--, after which I told one other person a week or so following my entry into the game about it (Z). Y happened to be in the NPO, and I to this day have no clue whether or not he still plays, and have not been in contact with him for years. X, being my best pal, was generally a yardstick I used to measure to try and pass, and after entering GATO and reading guides on how to set my nation, I gradually pushed ahead of him. After under a month X and Z became bored, and both attacked me. They were thoroughly trounced, lacking any alliance to back them up, and faded out of the game.

A few months later, when I'd climbed the ranks a bit and the Great War had come and gone, I told another friend about the game. He promptly joined and then joined the CDS. After a few months he became pretty into the game, about as much as me, and was highly involved in alliance politics. After the CDS joined the League's side in the Second Great War, and was soundly defeated, he seemed to lose much interest in the game, and as the alliance fell into obscurity gradually spent less time on the game, until finally his nation was deleted for inactivity.

Since then, I've stopped bothering trying to recruit friends, because most of them do not seem like the type that would be interested in such a game anyways, and would likely stop playing it after a few days. I still do occassionally talk with Person X about CN politics, and explain to him the basic battles and outcomes of various CN events.

Edit: Ah, which actually reminds me. Said Person X did in fact return some time before the beginning of the Second Great War, and was a part of LoSS. After the alliance's defeat in the Second Great War, he soundly quit entirely.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recruited two RL friends who both have reasonably sized nations in MK now.

Romanian entente o/

I had one friend who made a nation with me in LUE, but then went nuke rogue a little bit after I did. He then tried to come back with me in MK, but went inactive because he forgot.

I had like 6 other ppl join this game all from RL I think right after the BLEU-NADC war. Out of those 6, 1 still remains, and he's almost as strong as me. O_O

Edited by Lord Razzia

I wonder how much returnign players quickly fade away again (Duffman, BlackAdder, LordValentine, Chris Kaos [yeah he had a nation for a few days last month] et al) because when you come back it's basically a nightmare trying to figure everything out. WarriorConcept joined NPO? GOONS reformed but not old GOONS, Lunar GOONS? Gremlins cancelled every treaty? Stuff like that. I spent August-November with no connection and when I came back I felt like I was studying for exit exams to keep up, if I'd actually been gone for a large span of time or hadn't had the excitement of Vox Populi I can't see having stuck it out.

It looks like 50% of people have not used their recruitment link at all, but a much smaller percentage of people have never spoken to someone in real life. That seems counter-intuitive to me, because a lot of people say it's embarrassing, so you'd think the link would draw those people out because they can casually link it in a passive way somehwere (facebook etc) without engaging someone.

For those not posting their recruitment link; why aren't you?

I have a "Join the BTA" with links to the BTA and CN in my sig on a forum that i frequent. Every once and a while someone comes and plays but its not to regular. I also bring in friends from my gaming clan and they have stuck around for a while.

So the name is out there atleast.

I talked to a few friends about the game, I was mocked by one :D. His joke was "Am I going to play forum again with imaginary friends?". Truth be told, it does describe what we do relatively well.

My roommate joined for a short time. But he was not really into the game. Joined more so he can see what I am doing all the time.

I have posted links to several places and plan on sending links out every so often. I know that at least one of my friends plays this game (Atoms from Mr. Nation), whom I recruited about 3 years ago and is currently chillin' with me in my alliance (yay friends).

I doubt I'll get too many people to join, but I figure I like this game well enough and I should be proud of that fact.

It looks like 50% of people have not used their recruitment link at all, but a much smaller percentage of people have never spoken to someone in real life. That seems counter-intuitive to me, because a lot of people say it's embarrassing, so you'd think the link would draw those people out because they can casually link it in a passive way somehwere (facebook etc) without engaging someone.

I would say that posting your recruitment link is far more awkward, as instead of talking to a few friends who you think might enjoy the game you're telling the entire world that you play CN and they should too, including those social-networking "friends" who would find it ridiculous.

I wonder how much returnign players quickly fade away again (Duffman, BlackAdder, LordValentine, Chris Kaos [yeah he had a nation for a few days last month] et al) because when you come back it's basically a nightmare trying to figure everything out. WarriorConcept joined NPO? GOONS reformed but not old GOONS, Lunar GOONS? Gremlins cancelled every treaty? Stuff like that. I spent August-November with no connection and when I came back I felt like I was studying for exit exams to keep up, if I'd actually been gone for a large span of time or hadn't had the excitement of Vox Populi I can't see having stuck it out.

People are more likely to talk about online gaming with RL friends in casual conversation, perhaps? To be honest CN never comes up with anyone I know otherwise, but it takes zero effort to insert it into the discussion at that point.

One would hope that they don't post the link in fear they will be labeled a "total geek" by their non-gaming friends. That would be kinda sad.

As for catching up on the politics, that's why the Wiki is an absolutely wonderful resource. "Slightly" slanted history aside, it's a good primer for anyone looking to catch up on what happened while you were gone.

As for \m/...I've been pleasantly surprised just how many of the 350 of us that were there then are still around now (and that includes a fair number of re-rolls under the same name or a different one). Look at the roster of Ragnarok, Umbrella, MK, even Valhalla (no, I'm not the only one there) and many other alliances for confirmation.

The parallels to the Jewish experience in history have been both interesting and amusing to me. There's even now a controversial new alliance of the same name as the old alliance (the kingdom of Israel -> modern Israeli state)...that became involved in an action against TPF (Britain, France, Israel vs. Nasser's Egypt?) guess that makes it what? 1956? And no, I don't see \m/ as Planet Bob's "God's Chosen People"...though the thought of it is funny. :laugh:

Edited by ChairmanHal

a few of my freinds know about it and give me crap because im playing a game on forums and irc. I don't really know many people who would be super interested in it. And i definetly won't post the link on facebook. CN is my secret except for those who know me really well.

Has anyone ever lost a friend over CN? That'd be interesting. I haven't, but when I was in GOONS during the UjW there was a goon, Clayster, who went to school with a guy in MCXA, Yungflow (Yungflow quit and now there is a Yungflow in game, I don't know if they're the same kid). (As Clayster tells it) One day as things are turning sour for GOONS in the UjW (after the first week) Yungflow goes up to Clayster in the hall at school and yells "HAIL PACIFICA!" in Clayster's face, and some classic GOONS mischief befell Yungflow. I don't know if they stopped talking, but it would have certainly strained things in real life if someone yelled in my face over CN.

but unfortunately most of my RL friends live with me and we share our internet connection so they can't participate other than advising me on what to do. :(

With multiple individuals informing your decisions perhaps Lady Une is the more appropriate anime lady for your sig/avatar :P

Oh on the subject, I remember a RL recruitment drive megafail I stumbled on in the Moderation Forum one time. Apparently some history teacher somewhere out in the world had his students make nations for a project, but of course they were all multis and got banned.

thats both hilarious and sad. really should be a better way to allow people at school to enjoy the game

Anyway, i recruited some friends from Fark.com who play other games with me..one was an original Greenlighter so i dont know if re-recruiting him counts

I did recruit a fellow haunter of Leelee Sobieski's fansite, and almost got a guy I know from a Vancouver Canucks website to join me. :P

At one point I did talk about it more, mainly with people from my church's youth group. I'm not sure if any of them actually play though. :ph34r:

...One day as things are turning sour for GOONS in the UjW (after the first week) Yungflow goes up to Clayster in the hall at school and yells "HAIL PACIFICA!" in Clayster's face, and some classic GOONS mischief befell Yungflow....

Lolololol.

I got a friend to join, but she was way inactive the entire time. Served as a good 3mill/150 tech farm, though, while it lasted. ^_^