The Federalist Paper

Germanic Republic

Back in Montgomery, President Engelmann had been incapacitated for the past couple of days due to a sickness. Secretary of State Nikolai Kunis was assigned the duty of presenting to the world a treaty between New England and the FRA by the Vice-President.

In the capitol building, a room had been set up for the press and for dignitaries to hear him speak. Nikolai approached the podium, and began to address the crowd.

Attention. Americans [ooc: FRA citizens, specifically], times are hard in this world. We are bordered by hostile forces who have sought the death of everyone in this room. We need insurance, and we need security-- we have gone without friends for too long, and while we had freedom of agency, freedom is only possible through the force of arms, of which we are lacking next to those who would stop us. We have been forced to give up legitimate Federalist territory at gun-point, and there's no reason to assume this cannot, or will not, happen again.

That said, the previous administration of the current Vice President, President Murphy, had held informal but good relations with Disparu, New England, and the Commonwealth of Texas. Disparu is too far away, and our friendship with the Commonwealth ended when we signed peace with the Amerikanisches Reich-- New England both borders us, shares our federalist system, culture, language, and love of liberty. This opportunity could not be left alone, and so we took it, and fruit has been borne! Our President brought home friendship and security, and a promise for closer relations between the FRA and New England on a scale that our nation has never seen before!

The FRA and New England will begin to work together, and merge together, to ensure a more perfect Union and to ensure security for our people. Past that, however, I am pleased to present the Federalist Paper, cheekily named of course, but an effective document all the same.

The Federalist Paper

Article I:

The Republic of New England and the Federal Republic of America are friends on the world stage, and it shall be that way.

Article II:

Each signatory shall respect the sovereignty of the each other, and thus shall not commit any action that limits or otherwise hinders the each other’s sovereignty.

Article III:

Each signatory shall maintain open borders with each other. As such, no restrictions nor controls shall be imposed in each other’s borders. Citizens of both signatory nations are free to travel to the other with little intervention. Ports/harbors in both signatory nations shall be open to civilian vessels of the each other during peace time and during war; military vessels are only allowed in ports during times of war. Each signatory agrees to provide economic assistance to the each other should it be needed.

Article IV:

Both signatory nations shall lower tariff rates in regards to the each other, as to increase trade between the two nations. There shall be free trade between the two signatory nations.

Article V:

When a signatory nation(s) is attacked by a third party, the other signatory nation is required to provide military, economic, or logistical support to that signatory nation.

Article VI:

If either nation engages in an aggressive war against another nation, the other nation is highly encouraged, but not required, to aid the attacking nation in every way possible.

Article VII:

Each signatory of this document and treaty agree to share any intelligence amongst one another if said information pertains a possible threat to the sovereignty of any signatory.

Article VIII:

Should any signatory deem it necessary to cancel this treaty, a 96-hour notice shall be given.

Signed for the Republic of New England,

145px-Lyndon_Johnson_Signatre_2svg.png

Lyndon Baines Johnson,

President

Signed for the Federal Republic of America,

860DF72C1572D2DF21A8282AA7305332.png

Stephen Engelmann,

President

OOC: jed, confirm?

Edited by Germanic Republic

PRIVATE

Back in Boston, President Lyndon Johnson was just getting settled in his office in the Executive Mansion when an aide entered and gave him a telegraph detailing of the announcement of the Federalist Treaty.

About time.“ Johnson smiled as he got up and left his office. He was going to head over to the Capitol to give a speech.

PUBLIC

In the Press Briefing Room, President Johnson stood before a crowd of reporters, all taking pictures and the like, in front of a podium. TV cameras were being aimed at him, and Johnson shuffled the papers in his hands as he prepared to give his speech.

Finally, he began:

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I have come forth to give you news, great news. Firstly, you must have heard the announcement of the Federalist Paper treaty between New England and the Federal Republic of America. I give my official confirmation that I have, indeed, signed that document and that a MDoAP is now in effect.

He paused for a moment. The President had to squint his eyes a bit to protect against the blinding flashes of the reporters’ cameras. He could see them furiously scribbling down on their notes or frantically calling on their cell phones.

However, what I will now announce next may seem to make this MDoAP redundant, but it will not. As you may well know, we have had friendly relations with the FRA for some time and, as Nikolai Kunis stated earlier, we share the same federalist system, culture, language, and love of democracy. I have discussed this with the National Assembly, with all government officials, with Army officers and generals, and other figures, and they have voiced their support for it, though not without some hesitation. I fear that this may come at an inopportune time, given the current conflict in the GLS and the war in Europe, but it have come and will hold the same effect as if it was declared in time of peace. I promise you, the great system our beloved President John Fitzgerald Kennedy established will live on!

He paused once again for dramatic effect.

With that, I proclaim the establishment of the Federated States of America! Washington City will become the national capital, and I have ordered all government officials to began the process of relocation from Boston to Washington City. My counterpart in Stephen Engelmann should do the same thing to Montgomery. To assist in the transition of both New England and the FRA into this new Union, a National Transition Board (NTB) will be established, where it will oversee the relocation of government offices, agencies, and the like - as well as to consolidate the powers of government from Boston and Montgomery to Washington City. The FSA will retain the federal system of both former New England and the FRA, and states of both nations will retain a degree of autonomy from the federal government. The FSA government will be responsible for all military and foreign affairs, while the states will be responsible for domestic affairs. The federal government, however, will have a limited role in domestic affairs. It will have the power of taxation, for obvious reasons, and to regulate interstate commerce, as well as other aspects.

He paused again as he shuffled his papers.

Regarding foreign affairs, the new FSA will retain and honor all diplomatic treaties and agreements signed by both nations. This includes, but is not limited to, the Good Neighbor Treaty with Disparu, the Coast Treaty with the Tahoe Republic, and the treaties with the former Imperial Union and the Holy Imperium, now the Holy American Empire. As with New England, the FSA will remain neutral in the current war in Europe, unless our allies are attacked. Regarding military, the militaries of both New England and FRA will be merged into an unifed, central structure.

He smiled as the reporters began taking pictures furiously, the flashes nearly blinding him.

We will now take questions. Thank you and have a great day.

OOC: Hope you like, GR :wub:

OOC: Finally... I've been waiting to post my response for a while. IC:

As you may well know, we have had friendly relations with the FRA for some time

Please show us one time where the FRA and New England have shown friendly relations. In fact, show one time where the FRA and New England have even communicated with each other prior to the formation and release of this announcement.

The FRG is extremely saddened to see this merger take place. We have obviously never been on great terms with New England, however we did recognize their integrity and competence at leading their nation. We now have serious doubts about that.

The FRA signed a legal agreement with us on how to best manage the former Pravus Ingruo's lands. They broke the treaty and gobbled up as much land as they could, including the Florida panhandle. They even had the nerve to take South Carolina away from land specifically reserved for new nations. This event showed how pathetic, unhonest, and land greedy the FRA truly was.

Then New England decides to merge with them? The Tahoe Republic, one of your greatest allies I would presume, actually disvoiced their disapproval for FRA with the way they handled the Florida panhandle situation. Yet you disregard an allies opinion and merge with someone you have had no to little contact with? We find it hard to believe that New England could be manipulated so easy. The FRA are scared because others realize they are worthless liars and are attempting to hide behind you.

New England, we urge you to look at the situation and see the FRA for what it truly is, a national of leaders I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. We may not be on the best of terms, but we know you can do better than this.

"Disparu shall remain neutral on this matter for now. On a different note, we are glad to see that the FSA will continue to maintain the Good Neighbor Treaty.

Out of curiosity, which flag will the FRA use? New England's, FRA's, or an entirely new one?"

***CLASSIFIED***

An encrypted message will instantly be sent to Boston.

300px-DisparuGovernmentSeal.png

TO/À: President Lyndon B. Johnson

FROM/DE: Cynthia Celeste, Chancellor of Disparu

Greetings,

The Government of Disparu wishes to know if this will affect any Disparu-New England projects, such as the Suicune Bridge in Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Sarkara-Leclerc Space Telescope.

Regards,

128px-CynthiaCelesteSignature.svg.png

Cynthia Celeste

Chancellor of Disparu

Leader of the Empire Party

Edited by Pikachurin

*snip*

OOC: Hope you like, GR :wub:

OOC: Beautiful. Sorry for the delay JED & Californian.

IC:

FROM: Stephen Engelmann, President of the Federal Republic of America

I confirm, and our bureaucracy is being transferred to Washington as I type this. As for the flag, we will continue to use it to represent Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia. I'm sure the NTB will cover an appropriate flag for the FSA overall, and an agreement will be met on what is appropriate.

Back in Montgomery

Nikolai used to hate it, but he had grown accustomed to the pomp and flair at military parades by now. He wasn't exactly easy about the whole deal with the New Englanders, but it felt like a reasonable, and safe, idea, and one for the betterment of North America as a whole, and to preserve the FRA in some form from the dogs howling to the south. Paranoia was something that had always gripped him, especially when it was regarding a matter of national import, but he attempted to stifle that feeling and try to enjoy the moment.

There were young men and young women, some stoic and unhappy-- surely ultranationalists, uneasy with this transfer of power and autonomy. To offset this, the procession of FRA troops carried on through the streets of Montgomery, the band blasting J. P. Sousa and the soldiers extending their arms in the Bellamy salute, while American patriots drank and roared and yelled their support for the Federalist troops.

He stayed for another hour or two, and then turned back to his duties in administration.

How will the recent merger affect the Texas - New England MDoAP (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...&p=1917457) and the Peace Agreement between the FRA and the Amerikanisches Reich (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...&p=2044079)?

Oh, and speaking of the Reich, a question to the former FRA: Why did you sign a treaty with the Reich when you didn't even recognize its existence? (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...t&p=1863055 )

Edited by KingChris

The first point is a good one, and something that does raise some questions. It will be something to discuss with, along with other issues resulting from the Union, and to decide on in a fair and just manner by the NTB.

As for the lack of recognition... You could take the leap and consider our peace treaty with them to be recognition of the Amerikanisches Reich, or you could go even further and consider the FRA approaching the Amerikanisches Reich via private means to reach a resolution as recognition. An official statement would've been redundant, completely unnecessary.

How will the recent merger affect the Texas - New England MDoAP (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...&p=1917457) and the Peace Agreement between the FRA and the Amerikanisches Reich (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...&p=2044079)?

Oh, and speaking of the Reich, a question to the former FRA: Why did you sign a treaty with the Reich when you didn't even recognize its existence? (OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...t&p=1863055 )

"That is a good question. It will be decided upon by the NTB. However, I can say with certainity that both treaties/agreements will be retained under the banner of the FSA."

"This merger makes about as much sense as a rabbit and a fox becoming friends. Sooner or later, the fox will eat the rabbit."

~Excerpt from a Political Commmentary show

OOC: Also, don't ignore Ty's (Californian's) question...

"Both New England the FRA came to the conclusion that some form of protection was better than none (hence the MDoAP), and that a more unified North American is an objective of ours. We looked at our similar governments, culture, values, and commitment to freedom, and it was decided that there was little reason to stay separate, especially with growing threats to North America. We've been cordial with one another since the FRA and New England intervened in the Commonwealth of Texas, and have maintained a steady friendship since, if that helps clarify things.

To prevent New England from completely dominating us, we gained a series of concessions that would allow the FRA and New England to remain semi-autonomous while under the Federal rule, and to be able to handle our own local affairs-- we have no worries of being swallowed up by New England or for our very existence to be put at jeopardy. Furthermore, we have no reason to respond to the Greenlanders-- FRA policy is to simply ignore them diplomatically.

That is all we have to say on the matter, if President Johnson wants to speak more, please direct questions to him. Thank you for your comments."

OOC: :wub: You're going to love the flag.

Our statement and the question it asks still stand.

OOC: Comon dont ignore me :/

OOC: I didn't ignore you - I missed it and just noticed that. That, and I just got back to university for the new semester, so things are a bit busy around here.

"This merger makes about as much sense as a rabbit and a fox becoming friends. Sooner or later, the fox will eat the rabbit."

~Excerpt from a Political Commmentary show

OOC: Also, don't ignore Ty's (Californian's) question...

OOC: See above, Subtle. :P

IC:

Please show us one time where the FRA and New England have shown friendly relations. In fact, show one time where the FRA and New England have even communicated with each other prior to the formation and release of this announcement.

The FRG is extremely saddened to see this merger take place. We have obviously never been on great terms with New England, however we did recognize their integrity and competence at leading their nation. We now have serious doubts about that.

The FRA signed a legal agreement with us on how to best manage the former Pravus Ingruo's lands. They broke the treaty and gobbled up as much land as they could, including the Florida panhandle. They even had the nerve to take South Carolina away from land specifically reserved for new nations. This event showed how pathetic, unhonest, and land greedy the FRA truly was.

Then New England decides to merge with them? The Tahoe Republic, one of your greatest allies I would presume, actually disvoiced their disapproval for FRA with the way they handled the Florida panhandle situation. Yet you disregard an allies opinion and merge with someone you have had no to little contact with? We find it hard to believe that New England could be manipulated so easy. The FRA are scared because others realize they are worthless liars and are attempting to hide behind you.

New England, we urge you to look at the situation and see the FRA for what it truly is, a national of leaders I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. We may not be on the best of terms, but we know you can do better than this.

"We've had friendly relations for some times, you should know of that already. Mr. Englemann is correct by the fact that both New England and the FRA had intervened in the Commonwealth of Texas, and we've maintained cordial relations even before that.

As for the FRA breaking the treaty, I have this to say: everyone, even nations, make mistakes and we shouldn't hold them to that. No one is perfect, after all. It's not our fault that you have such a low opinion of the FRA - we believe in the concept of forgive and forget. Why couldn't you do that?

Saying that New England was 'manipulated so easy' is not proper nor accurate to describe the decisions and factors that led to the establishment of the FSA. The reasons the FRA and New England became one nation was because of the similarities of both nations' values, beliefs, and systems, as well as a commitment to peace and stability in North America.

We hope that answered your question."

"Both New England the FRA came to the conclusion that some form of protection was better than none (hence the MDoAP), and that a more unified North American is an objective of ours. We looked at our similar governments, culture, values, and commitment to freedom, and it was decided that there was little reason to stay separate, especially with growing threats to North America. We've been cordial with one another since the FRA and New England intervened in the Commonwealth of Texas, and have maintained a steady friendship since, if that helps clarify things.

To prevent New England from completely dominating us, we gained a series of concessions that would allow the FRA and New England to remain semi-autonomous while under the Federal rule, and to be able to handle our own local affairs-- we have no worries of being swallowed up by New England or for our very existence to be put at jeopardy. Furthermore, we have no reason to respond to the Greenlanders-- FRA policy is to simply ignore them diplomatically.

That is all we have to say on the matter, if President Johnson wants to speak more, please direct questions to him. Thank you for your comments."

OOC: :wub: You're going to love the flag.

OOC: Am I? :D

IC: "Yes, you've been cordial. I've also noticed you haven't had much contact period between your respective governments, other than for the negotiations that must have taken place for this. And isn't the MDoAP a little redundant if you are merged?"

~Duke Benjamin Wallace

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Am I? :D

IC: "Yes, you've been cordial. I've also noticed you haven't had much contact period between your respective governments, other than for the negotiations that must have taken place for this. And isn't the MDoAP a little redundant if you are merged?"

~Duke Benjamin Wallace

OOC: =D Yes.

IC:

To: Duke Benjamin Wallace of Aussieland, with a wink and a smile

"That is true, but we didn't feel it necessary. That wasn't the sole factor in our decision, and we already outlined the others. The MDoAP is a tad redundant, but we are a federalist and bureaucratic system-- redundancy is important in a federalist system the MDoAP is redundant but redundancy is important in a federalist system to keep the system working, functioning, and capable of working at full capacity. We expected the transition to take longer, and we expected the transition to take a bit more time than usual."

"We've had friendly relations for some times, you should know of that already. Mr. Englemann is correct by the fact that both New England and the FRA had intervened in the Commonwealth of Texas, and we've maintained cordial relations even before that.

As for the FRA breaking the treaty, I have this to say: everyone, even nations, make mistakes and we shouldn't hold them to that. No one is perfect, after all. It's not our fault that you have such a low opinion of the FRA - we believe in the concept of forgive and forget. Why couldn't you do that?

Saying that New England was 'manipulated so easy' is not proper nor accurate to describe the decisions and factors that led to the establishment of the FSA. The reasons the FRA and New England became one nation was because of the similarities of both nations' values, beliefs, and systems, as well as a commitment to peace and stability in North America.

We hope that answered your question."

OOC: It's fine no worries :P IC:

Then show us some proof where you've interacted together. We've looked through records and we can't find any account where you've even spoken to each other on diplomatic channels. No treaties, no anything.

We laugh at your concept of forgive and forget. If Disparu suddenly invaded New York while you were preoccupied elsewhere and then grudgingly gave the land back after calling your leader Hitler, would you simply forgive and forget? No, you would be paranoid as hell and distrustful for good reason. They have not offered so much an apology and complied simply because they weren't powerful enough to strong arm us.

So the sole reason for unification is stability in North America? In case you didn't notice, there have been no violent outbreaks in America for years. The FRA is attempting to hide under you and for you to not see that is a little absurd.

We will not recognize this ridiculous merger that has no reasoning. We will continue communicating with New England, and our embassy shall remain in [capital of New England] until a time that we recall it or you ask us to leave. As far as we see it, New England as incorporated the FRA and all we can say is: good riddance.

OOC: It's fine no worries :P IC:

Then show us some proof where you've interacted together. We've looked through records and we can't find any account where you've even spoken to each other on diplomatic channels. No treaties, no anything.

"Well, we did have a conference between our leaders in Washington City recently."

We laugh at your concept of forgive and forget. If Disparu suddenly invaded New York while you were preoccupied elsewhere and then grudgingly gave the land back after calling your leader Hitler, would you simply forgive and forget? No, you would be paranoid as hell and distrustful for good reason. They have not offered so much an apology and complied simply because they weren't powerful enough to strong arm us.

OOC: I LOLed at this. :lol1::awesome:

IC: "That is your viewpoint. If Disparu did that to us, which they never will, we would be willing to forgive and forget, and put the whole thing behind us. Oh, and by the way, who's Hitler?"

OOC: WW2 never happened in CNRP timeline, I believe... :P

So the sole reason for unification is stability in North America? In case you didn't notice, there have been no violent outbreaks in America for years. The FRA is attempting to hide under you and for you to not see that is a little absurd.

We will not recognize this ridiculous merger that has no reasoning. We will continue communicating with New England, and our embassy shall remain in [capital of New England] until a time that we recall it or you ask us to leave. As far as we see it, New England as incorporated the FRA and all we can say is: good riddance.

"You forget the current war in the GLS, as well as the Florida crisis. It had the potential to break out into a greater conflict, and that isnt good for the peace and stability of North America, right? Besides, your Embassy is welcome to remain in Boston, and we will maintain full relations with you."