Message to the UMS

The FSM

To the Leaders of the UMS,

It has been a long time since we last spoke, not since we received your aid in liberating the peoples of the Italian Peninsula from fascism and toppling a tyrant. For your help in that matter I remain deeply grateful and it is because of the help you gave my nation in its early days that I do not wish to see communication allowed to languish. I would be very pleased if we would be able to arrange a meeting of some kind between officials of our two nations so that we can set up some kind of permanent dialog and discuss other regional issues.

Cordially,

Jean d'Aosta

To the leaders of the Sicilian League,

We would be more than happy to oblige this meeting; we were hopeful in your nation's early fruition, and remain forever hopeful in your expansion as a growing power. Our goals are undoubtedly similar, and it is high time we begin to beget the other, especially amidst this diplomatic frenzy that is blowing up in Iberia. Where should we have this take place? When?

Sincerely,

Lord Prefect Zemunda St. George

Lord Prefect St. George,

Given the tense situation in our area I am not sure it would be prudent for me to leave the country to come visit you at this point nor do I think you would want to come here and run the risk of being trapped here if war does break out. While you are welcome to come here and I can make the necessary arrangements, Im not sure if it would be the safest thing for you. A secure communications link would probably work fine in this situation unless you really want to visit an area that has front row seats to a war zone.

All the Best,

-Jean d'Aosta

Jean was in discussions with his Cabinet in the War Room when an aide handed him a slip of paper informing him a connection had been established with the UMS. He excused himself and walked over to a small side room where the appropriate communication equipment had been set up on a small desk. Jean took a seat in a small swivel chair and waited for the aid to make the final adjustments to the vid-screen.

Hello, this is Steward Jean, have we established a connection?

Jean was delighted to see the smiling face of Zemunda St. George appear on the screen in front of him. He turned to the aide, thanked him, and motioned for him to leave.

Its good to see you Zemunda, I regret that we could not meet in person this time around. Alas, now is not a good time for me to be going on diplomatic trips. I trust you are well?

I am doing well, though it is a trying time for all of us here. Things have a habit of coming up unexpectedly here given the crisis so Im going to cut to the chase. I wanted to discuss establishing a formal relationship between Mechodamia and the League, at least on an economic level.

Indeed, I was happy to assist in any way I could in that matter. And the assistance the UMS and other African states provided us in liberating the Peninsula is deeply appreciated.

I would bring up the possibility of a base leasing agreement in the Medittereanean, but I have a feeling that wouldnt go over too well in the current climate. Jean chuckled at his attempted humor

In all seriousness though, we have already supported each other on two occasions and we agree we share similar outlooks on the world. At this point we may as well let the world know that we are going to support each other in times of crisis, that seems to be the trend for us anyways sans a formal agreement. People tend to get upset when friends help each other without a piece of paper saying its ok, we would be saving ourselves from headaches having to deal with their complaining.

An agreement stating that we would agree to support each other in times of war... what do the policy wonks call them... MD..MDPs? Something like that. To be honest, so long as we agreed to communicate and discuss before going to war, I would have no issue committing to help you in your offensive campaigns either. Mechodamia does not seem to be a nation that is prone to warmongering like some of my European neighbors; you understand that war is not a game and only engage in it when given no other choice.

Im glad to hear that. I...

The door to the side room slams open suddenly as an aide rushes in. Outside the War Room is in a pandemonium. The aide leans over and whispers something in Jean's ear.

About damn time. I am afraid I have a war to go conduct now Zemunda. I am glad we have an understanding, I will have my Foreign Office draw up a draft of the agreement and send it to your government as soon as possible. Take care!