Request to the CNRP-community

Lynneth

Option clarifications at the end of the post  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I wish I could take my vote back......

those are 2-legged, impractical, I should've said option 1....

I'm also planning to make 4+-legged walkers for transport in heavy terrain where tracked vehicles can't go as easily, so blurr.

But they are very fast

My tanks can go 100+ km/h. A walker is nowhere that fast. I'd even imagine most walkers would be slower.

I'm also planning to make 4+-legged walkers for transport in heavy terrain where tracked vehicles can't go as easily, so blurr.

My tanks can go 100+ km/h. A walker is nowhere that fast. I'd even imagine most walkers would be slower.

A tank is only slowed by the terrain, which is why they all use treads, because there isn't the research put into two legged tanks, but the ability to jump and run should give them a distinct speed advantage over tanks.

wrong, walkers would be slower because early walkers would be like early tanks, we only have the current tech capacity for walkers to move slower than tanks, despite being unhindered by terrain. The issue would be the joints and maintain balance, especially on a 2-legged model.
Karnee, they DON'T have that ability. Lynneth said they can't fly, climb, weild swords or any of that magical crap you're thinking of. They can walk and shoot stuff. That's it.

This. Jumping is outta my league, so to say, unless I put heavy RP research into that. Walking is one thing, having strong enough joints to enable jumping is another.

What if I take "Big Dog" and put a Samsung machine gun turret on top?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigDog

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/14/so...orean_gun_bots/

Assuming I have the tech for it that is.

While attaching a SGR-A1 varient to a BigDog would be a formatable anti-infentry platform, it would still be vunrable to to returning fire.

Unlike many of the other examples this is actually easily possible with existing technologies, although it should only be available to those players with DRPA-Samsung technology levels.

It’s still sort of a waste, when wheeled robotic vehicles are infinitely more proven than walkers in the field.

Edited by Generalissimo

Walkers are very slow, based on videos of their performance. The only advantage I see is being able to used in tight area, very uneven terrain (if it has 4-8 legs), attracting enemy fire and scaring little children. The disadvantages is slow performance, damaged legs result in the walker being crippled, poor in soft terrain, and has a lower weight restriction compared to wheeled/tracked vehicles (meaning lighter armoring, weaponry, smaller ammo storage, and less etc).

Jumping mechs are still impractical.

Not unless if you give them rocket thrusters equipped in their feet, strip all of the armoring, weapons, and ammo away, and replace everything with carbon fiber and/or nanotubes. :P

Current speed is around 4 miles an hour. I don't think it will get any faster.

Alright, a few random little notes:

On Lynneth's mechs: They need more stout, robust legs. As pictured, they would be far too top heavy to maintain balance in a fight, and would be very easy to knock down.

On Terminology: Mech is a blanket term covering large mechanical dealies with some number of legs that fight !@#$. I have, and will continue to view "walkers" as two legged, weaponized chickens. /the problem obviously being that there is no proper, real terminology to cover this all, so blahrg.

On Mechs/ Walkers as a whole: Possible, yes. Practical, that's another story. As I see it, in most cases, the usefulness of mechs outweighs the problems, except in a few, select situations.

Riot/ Police uses: Best for two-legged mechs/ walkers. Intimidating height, fair speed, and maneuverability makes them of great use for riot patrol. They freak people out, the are impervious to things that could kill a normal officer (Like fire, small arms and thrown rocks) and their height allows them to pick out and eliminate high risk targets from a crowd (Knock out the guy with the gun before getting the angry guys with twigs that are around him). The police use also deals with the fact that mechs/ walkers would not be able to deal with high recoil weapons (Most non-lethal weapons that I've had access to are air powered, or fairly small).

Self Propelled Artillery: Best for four plus legged mechs/ walkers. The legs allow greater shock absorption, as well as offering a previously unopened way for Artillery to be set up. With legs, the artillery system could wedge its self in small crevices, on steep mountains, and in otherwise non-tank accessible terrain, giving a powerful advantage against enemy fire, and good, strategic placement of weapons.

Light Reconnaissance: Best for four legged mechs/ walkers. Using a light, fairly fast vehicle on four legs, you gain the benefit of going through almost any terrain (Well, any terrain a mountain goat could move through at least). The body would be light, and barley armored, but it would have the advantage of speed through tight, dangerous terrain completely inaccessible to other scout vehicles.

(Obviously) Search and Rescue: A mech with two powerful arms and strong legs could easily move through wreckage and debris to rescue people. The large size could accommodate an array of life detecting sensors, and the strong body could move debris from the endangered person. Then it would be as simple as attaching basic life support systems and medical gear to prepare the person to be evacuated, or carried on the mech out of the danger area.

Out side of these, you get into the usual problems with mechs. They tip over, their legs are major weak points, they cannot accommodate heavy weapons, they are tall, easy to hit targets, they aren't all that fast, they would have problems in swampy or sandy terrain (Just about all tanks do also, by the way). They cannot replace tanks, but they do have some purposes outside science fiction.

Once again, as long as they stay semi-realistic, I think we should have them.

EDIT: And as I always feel like repeating, they better not fly

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

Current speed is around 4 miles an hour. I don't think it will get any faster.

Asimo can 'run' at 6 km/h. That was in 2005.

In 2004, he ran at 3 km/h.

In 2000, he couldn't run at all.

See the improvements over relatively short time?

Anyways, what ITDA says is quite truthful, imo (especially the bit about my bots that I stole from Avatar. Topheavy, etc, probably useful for riot control)

Edited by Lynneth

The thing is, if it is used in something other than pure character RP, someone will scavenge the internet for a cold war concept of a robot/walker that is projected to fight in combat and claim that they have the tech for it. It's been done multiple times from sea crawlers to one of zarfef's planes. Anything but character RP and this opens a can of worms that cannot be closed.

The thing is, if it is used in something other than pure character RP, someone will scavenge the internet for a cold war concept of a robot/walker that is projected to fight in combat and claim that they have the tech for it. It's been done multiple times from sea crawlers to one of zarfef's planes. Anything but character RP and this opens a can of worms that cannot be closed.

Set a rule where mechs can only be used by the first world nations. Problem solved, kinda.

Set a rule where mechs can only be used by the first world nations. Problem solved, kinda.

Even then, mechs are definitely not set to 2020 tech. Robots that walk and crush/lift cars? There are prototypes, but nothing that can be massed produced today. Robots that can walk, shoot and fight in wars effectively? Not at all.

Karnee, they DON'T have that ability. Lynneth said they can't fly, climb, weild swords or any of that magical crap you're thinking of. They can walk and shoot stuff. That's it.

First of all MY MIND IS MY OWN you don't know what the hell I'm thinking so don't claim you do. I wasn't thinking of magic, or flying or even the funniest suggestion swords, I was making a reasonable comment and the first thing you could think I was saying was magic, flying and swords. If I was thinking of magic, flying and swords I would have said so. There is no hidden meaning behind my words just what I wanted to say, don't ever presume other wise.

Back to the discussion at hand, if we are talking about early models of Walkers than yes, I imagine the ability to jump would be out of their ability. One thing we should probably agree on is that their a side tech at best. Nice to have, but aren't that useful.

Edited by Karnee

Even then, mechs are definitely not set to 2020 tech. Robots that walk and crush/lift cars? There are prototypes, but nothing that can be massed produced today. Robots that can walk, shoot and fight in wars effectively? Not at all.

Mechs aren't effective in front line battles at all since they are so easy to disable. Riot control, light artillery, and scouting in tough terrain? Yes. As long as their weapons don't have massive weight and recoil, I don't see a problem with that. I'd say a couple machine guns, rocket launchers, flamethrowers, or a single cannon/artillery that is smaller than 100mm would be fine.

Mechs aren't effective in front line battles at all since they are so easy to disable. Riot control, light artillery, and scouting in tough terrain? Yes. As long as their weapons don't have massive weight and recoil, I don't see a problem with that. I'd say a couple machine guns, rocket launchers, flamethrowers, or a single cannon/artillery that is smaller than 100mm would be fine.

Quick in and out missions definitely. I wouldn't see them withstanding serious fire power for too long.

Edited by Karnee

They wouldn't have a need for all that if they were used for riot control. :P Light artillery and scouting tough terrain, I'm going to go with no because the latter isn't effective and the former isn't useful when there is already better systems.

Rocket launchers and cannon/artillery have a large recoil and would knock a mech like Lynneth's down the second it was used. You also need to factor in how heavy it is going to be in order to reload and carry the munitions for a launcher/cannon/artillery.

Quick in and out missions definitely. I wouldn't see them withstanding serious fire power for too long.

And even if their armor could eat dozens of 120mm shells or larger, they would be knocked over by the impacts.

They wouldn't have a need for all that if they were used for riot control.

Rocket launchers and cannon/artillery have a large recoil and would knock a mech like Lynneth's down the second it was used. You also need to factor in how heavy it is going to be in order to reload and carry the munitions for a launcher/cannon/artillery.

Lets see, there is a couple hundred angry protesters, you think lines of riot police officers are going to scare them away? No. How about a 2-4 stories tall mech that has weapons equipped and is stomping toward them? Definitely.

For the weapons, tone them down so the mech won't get knocked over. Maybe add in stabilizers in the legs so they can extend outward and help prevent the robot from tipping over while firing (though that would require the mech to stop)?

Edited by HHAYD