The Peloponnesian War

Achilleus

This story starts around 430 BC, just before the outbreak of the war between the Athenians and the Spartans. It's mainly for political and military strategy and the causes of our war will be the same as the causes of the actual war (Athenian aggression throughout the region and Spartan paranoia), but we can spin it in our own direction after 431 BC.

We can decide how far-flung and how lasting this thing will be -- it doesn't have to end with the burning of Athens in 404, but however we want it to end. No particular attention to historical detail is required, just maybe a few major characters (Alcibiades, Agis, Cimon, Perikles, etc.) and definitely some geography. Other than that, I think it would be best played as an open-ended free-for-all.

To sign up for this, put your information in the following way:

Name:

Position/Role:

Discription:

Brief History (how is this person related to the war?):

Feel free to have two characters, but please keep them both on the same side (Athenian or Spartan), unless one of them is going to get bumped off. In that case, you can have one from each side.

EDIT: I did RP very well a long time ago, but this is my first foray into the new rules of Fantasy RP. If you have any suggestions or corrections as to what gets posted where, etc., I'm always all-ears. :)

Edited by Achilleus

what history book are you two reading?

The Peloponnesian War (431-404 BCE) was a war between the Athenian-led Delian League (aka the Athenian Empire) and the Spartan-led Peloponnesian League.

It ended when Sparta laid siege to the city and desicively defeated the Athenian Navy at the Battle of Agospotami in 405 BCE.

you're only partially right, they did besiege the city. But they never occupied it. In fact, Athens still existed as a city-state post Peloponnesian War (and even post Alex the Great).

However, they never were able to regain the same amount of power they had before Agospotami, then again, Sparta did occupy and control former Athenian Empire possessions, at least thats what I think. I may be wrong, (and I hope not) but you might wanna look over that again to be sure.

The war ddnt end with athens being burnt down.

it ended when the spartans took the city and held it in occupation for a few years until the athenians rose up in open revolt and took the city back.

No, the official ending date is 404 BC, when the Spartans laid siege to, occuppied, and ravaged Athens. Hostilities went beyond this date, but they are generally not considered part of the official Peloponnesian War. You can read about these things in Zenophon's Hellenica.

you're only partially right, they did besiege the city. But they never occupied it. In fact, Athens still existed as a city-state post Peloponnesian War (and even post Alex the Great).

However, they never were able to regain the same amount of power they had before Agospotami, then again, Sparta did occupy and control former Athenian Empire possessions, at least thats what I think. I may be wrong, (and I hope not) but you might wanna look over that again to be sure.

The Sparans did indeed occupy Athens. They installed their own government which was embodied by the Thirty Tyrants (again, Zenophon). No one is saying that Athens ceased to exist.

I'm pretty well-versed in the details of this stuff, so if questions arise, we can hammer them out reasonably. Anybody taken to the idea of the RP, though?