Southern Africa Military Exercises

Rhodesia

The sweltering heat of the African sun beat down upon neat rows of soldiers, all formed up. This particular group was holding just North of Livingstone, the capital of Rhodesia.

"...and you all understand, Tahoan and Transvaler instructors are to be treated as synonymous to your ordinary military officers, is that clear? You are among the finest soldiers in Rhodesia, you are the Rhodesian SAS and the Selous Scouts. Make me proud during this operation."

"Sir, yes sir!" the soldiers all responded in unison. The speaker was Colonel Theodore Howard of the Rhodesian SAS. There were two groups here, a large group of SAS numbering 20, and a group of Selous Scouts (on a different chain of command than the SAS), who numbered around 40. The rest of the military was either already in Livingstone or on its way, news of the exercises had been widespread throughout the ranks of the Rhodesian Armed Forces.

The SAS stood on one side, their dark green camoflague and black vests distinguishing them from the rough-looking Selous Scouts. While a few of the SAS wore beards, most had neatly shaven heads and clean faces, while the Scouts wore longer hair if they pleased, and most had beards. Their uniforms were different as well, the Scouts sported lightly colored camoflague and much lighter gear. Neither wore helmets, but the SAS wore red berets while the Scouts wore green.

"The liaisons for the Tahoan Military and Transvaler Krygsmagte will be here shortly. I want everyone to take a break, check your weapons, then assemble on my command. We're learning from the best, this is an opportunity not a necessity, treat it like one."

"Sir, yes sir!" all responded. The ranks broke down and the soldiers milled around attending to their duties.

Several days earlier, Tahoan and Transvaler authorities had received the necessary paperwork and notification, as well as dates and locations (Livingstone and the country surrounding) for the already planned military exercises. The proper authorities would be arriving at their convenience, which was expected to be very soon.

OOC: Sorry if that last bit's vague. :/

The Transvaler Krygsmagte deployed 4,000 regular troops and 400 tanks to Rhodesia to participate in the joint Tri-Nation manoeuvres with Rhodesia and Tahoe.

The general aims of the Krygsmagte during these were twofold: to assist with training the nascent Rhodesian military while collaborating with their Tahoe allies in sharing recent tactics and strategy developed and learnt during the Karma War.

34oxym8.jpg

Soldiers of the Transvaler Krygsmagte

The ground troops of the Krygsmagte were equipped with their standard bush gear and their newly-issued Vektor R4 5.56 mm assault rifles, which were in the process of replacing the older R1 7.62mm battle rifles which had been standard issue since independence.

The tank force consisted of an assortment of Olifant (Centurion-class) Mark 1, Mark 1A, and Mark 1B battle tanks – one of the best indigenous tanks found in use in Africa.

33c0p3a.jpg

A squadron of Mark 1B Olifants

assualtcourse03jb5.gif

Squad of Tahoe Army Rangers in Summer African Kit

Five thousand soldiers from the Tahoan Army including four thousand infantry (the rest are support or helicopter crews), 40 transport helicopters and 12 attack helicopters have been deployed to Rhodesia for training exercies. An additional 40 elite special forces in the Tahoe Army Rangers to assist in the training of Rhodesian Special Forces

Stated goals are to provide opposition to Transvaler and Rhodesian forces as well as advisors to train the newly formed Rhodesian Army.

OOC:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134312

A very nice collection of photographs from the Rhodesian Bush War

Officers from the Krygsmagte and the Tahoan Army would receive itineraries detailing the proposed locations for military exercises, mainly around the capital of Livingstone. Once the personnel had arrived at the designated points to meet with the Rhodesian Army for the first time, they were ready to start the drills and exercises, the details of which being left up to Tahoan and Transvaler forces, as they would be overseeing the training.

Major General Bruce Campling, Supreme Commander of the Rhodesian Armed Forces and Benjamin Rothinfeld, the Minister of National Security of the Republic of Rhodesia exited their vehicles at the main staging ground for the military exercises just outside of Livingstone. A gently breeze blew over the open terrain, in view of both the city and the jungle. Helicopters would be arriving any minute, carrying the officers in charge of the allied forces coming to train the Rhodesian soldiers. Campling and Rothinfeld prepared to greet their esteemed guests at any moment.

"We are very sorry to hear about this, this is a very regrettable turn of events indeed. If the government of Transvaal needs any aid or assistance that we are able to give, please contact us, it would be our pleasure to help an ally."

-Minister of National Security Benjamin Rothinfeld

Major General Bruce Campling, Supreme Commander of the Rhodesian Armed Forces and Benjamin Rothinfeld, the Minister of National Security of the Republic of Rhodesia exited their vehicles at the main staging ground for the military exercises just outside of Livingstone. A gently breeze blew over the open terrain, in view of both the city and the jungle. Helicopters would be arriving any minute, carrying the officers in charge of the allied forces coming to train the Rhodesian soldiers. Campling and Rothinfeld prepared to greet their esteemed guests at any moment.

Major General Colm Earley stepped out of a Tahoe Army helicopter that landed in the staging ground. He was a tall man with grey hair wearing a camoflage jacket and black beret of the Tahoan Army. Saluting the Rhodesians, he walked over to a table that had been set out with maps showing the region.

"Sirs, my general plan for this exercise is to keep the Rhodesian Army together for training. That is, I want units of your army to learn to work together instead of being intermixed with Tahoan troops, as in a normal exercise. Thus, we will be dealing with two main issues. The first is using the troops you have deployed here to have a mock battle with the Tahoan troops. I will give you a few advisors per company to assist and we can manage the battle from here so we can practice headquarters tactics. Second, I want a detachment of Rhodesian infantry to practice counterinsurgency, and for that I will use my special forces and yours to practice being insurgent while your regulars try and track them down and practice counter partisan warfare, always a potential problem."

"Thus, the scenario is a hostile force with convential arms has invaded your nation and you are defending a key center, in this case your capital. You will use all the forces in your arsenal (which will be outfitted with a modern laser system to score "kills"...basically each weapon will shoot a laser which will be picked up by a reciever mounted on each soldier or vehicle when hit, allowing that person to be "dead") to drive back the invaders. Simultaneously, you will be dealing with a insurgency."

aw139_iac.jpg

Major General Colm Earley stepped out of a Tahoe Army helicopter that landed in the staging ground. He was a tall man with grey hair wearing a camoflage jacket and black beret of the Tahoan Army. Saluting the Rhodesians, he walked over to a table that had been set out with maps showing the region.

"Sirs, my general plan for this exercise is to keep the Rhodesian Army together for training. That is, I want units of your army to learn to work together instead of being intermixed with Tahoan troops, as in a normal exercise. Thus, we will be dealing with two main issues. The first is using the troops you have deployed here to have a mock battle with the Tahoan troops. I will give you a few advisors per company to assist and we can manage the battle from here so we can practice headquarters tactics. Second, I want a detachment of Rhodesian infantry to practice counterinsurgency, and for that I will use my special forces and yours to practice being insurgent while your regulars try and track them down and practice counter partisan warfare, always a potential problem."

"Thus, the scenario is a hostile force with convential arms has invaded your nation and you are defending a key center, in this case your capital. You will use all the forces in your arsenal (which will be outfitted with a modern laser system to score "kills"...basically each weapon will shoot a laser which will be picked up by a reciever mounted on each soldier or vehicle when hit, allowing that person to be "dead") to drive back the invaders. Simultaneously, you will be dealing with a insurgency."

"I believe those are good points, yes. We'll have our Selous Scouts cooperate with our SAS to form our Special Forces Detachment, as the Scouts were previously planning on training with Transvaler units of the same nature. Just so that we can also teach our officers, perhaps they could detail their defense plans to Tahoan officers to gain critique before the battle? That way they are learning for themselves while receiving constructive criticism and helpful information, would you agree to that?" Major General Campling replied.